Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,016 members, 7,814,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? (7053 Views)

Toyota Corolla 2004 Vs Honda Civic 2004 Which Is Better Overall? / Lexus Rx 350 (2010) Vs Toyota Venza (2010) / Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by JerrCa(m): 4:21am On Mar 13, 2018
Just wondering why Toyota sells quicker? I have driven honda in the past with no problems for years. The newer generation Accords are not bad either but naija has not embraced them. Is it because of our roads or they feel toyota's are stronger?
Please leave your thoughts and experiences with Toyota's and Honda's if you had them

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2018
Maybe its because of the Honda leg magic.. Just maybe, What do i know? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by bravolad(m): 8:48pm On Mar 13, 2018
tobbiiqq:
Maybe its because of the Honda leg magic.. Just maybe, What do i know? undecided

There's not a straight jacket perspective to this. Across the social media, the argument rages as they are cousins & direct competitors in the auto industry. There areas that each has its unique selling points.

In Nigeria however, a number of factors come to play when you consider either of the options. Usually, maintenance is pivotal to a happy car ownership. Irrespective of your choice of car, if it's properly maintained, the resale value will be high. I have never made a loss after using cars.

Now, the Toyota Camry is more rugged than its Honda Accord counterpart. The reason is not far fetched; camry is generally used for transport both within the city & interstate, which the Honda can't withstand. For example, you can hardly find Honda being used for uber.
Autostar which uses a lot of sedan for their Enugu route has camry, corolla & Avensis.

The good side of this is that the Toyota still commands a good resale value after this usage.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by adanny01(m): 10:10pm On Mar 13, 2018
bravolad:

There's not a straight jacket perspective to this. Across the social media, the argument rages as they are cousins & direct competitors in the auto industry. There areas that each has its unique selling points.

In Nigeria however, a number of factors come to play when you consider either of the options. Usually, maintenance is pivotal to a happy car ownership. Irrespective of your choice of car, if it's properly maintained, the resale value will be high. I have never made a loss after using cars.

Now, the Toyota Camry is more rugged than its Honda Accord counterpart. The reason is not far fetched; camry is generally used for transport both within the city & interstate, which the Honda can't withstand. For example, you can hardly find Honda being used for uber.
Autostar which uses a lot of sedan for their Enugu route has camry, corolla & Avensis.

The good side of this is that the Toyota still commands a good resale value after this usage.

There is nothing about the camry that says rugged.

If it were same year of corolla vs civic, i will choose Corolla. But camry vs accord, i will choose accord without blinking twice.

These are some of my issues put in comparison.

Transmission
On this range, the Accord comes on top being more reliable. I have spoken to a lot of mechanics, they complain that the transmission on the camry gives up easily.

Secondly, the camry gear is far more expensive to replace than the Accord.

Engine
I still stick with the Honda being a cheaper engine to replace to the camry. Durability here is not a big issue with both engines.

Fuel economy
Camry is on top on this one, difference to me is not something to shout about

Suspension
This is where most ppl dread Honda but this is where i dread Toyota. The pull out is not an issue to me because i know how to avoid it. Replacing shocks in Toyota is something one cannot avoid. This one also puts a hole in the pocket and happens too frequently with most Toyota. The only up side of camry is thaf it has higher ground clearance.

I will stick with Accord on this category

Aesthetics
I prefer Accord

Driver appeal
Accord

In general, Honda accord is a clear winner in this class.

23 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by bravolad(m): 6:23am On Mar 14, 2018
adanny01:

There is nothing about the camry that says rugged.

If it were same year of corolla vs civic, i will choose Corolla. But camry vs accord, i will choose accord without blinking twice.

These are some of my issues put in comparison.

Transmission
On this range, the Accord comes on top being more reliable. I have spoken to a lot of mechanics, they complain that the transmission on the camry gives up easily.

Secondly, the camry gear is far more expensive to replace than the Accord.

Engine
I still stick with the Honda being a cheaper engine to replace to the camry. Durability here is not a big issue with both engines.

Fuel economy
Camry is on top on this one, difference to me is not something to shout about

Suspension
This is where most ppl dread Honda but this is where i dread Toyota. The pull out is not an issue to me because i know how to avoid it. Replacing shocks in Toyota is something one cannot avoid. This one also puts a hole in the pocket and happens too frequently with most Toyota. The only up side of camry is thaf it has higher ground clearance.

I will stick with Accord on this category

Aesthetics
I prefer Accord

Driver appeal
Accord

In general, Honda accord is a clear winner in this class.

You seem to miss the point. We are not here looking for a winner but comparing real user experiences. Just to assist you with some real-time research;

1. Make an uber/taxify request, you will find out that 50% of the time, it's a Camry that shows up.

2. I have more than 10 friends who bought Honda Accord for uber & removed them in less than a year due to associated cost of repair & their inability to resale for a reasonable amount after usage.

3. I have so many referrals who bought more Toyota Camry to add to their fleet after about a year in the business.

Transport companies use Toyota for interstate commute; do you think they don't like Honda or can't afford it for the business?

4. My neghbour used a brand new Honda Accord for 5 years had an accident with it & switched to a camry; he clearly prefers the camry in terms of durability, cost of maintenance etc.

After a year or so of usage in Nigeria, camry has a better resale value than the Accord which is the crux of this thread.

Again, to each his own.

5 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by adanny01(m): 8:13am On Mar 14, 2018
bravolad:

You seem to miss the point. We are not here looking for a winner but comparing real user experiences. Just to assist you with some real-time research;

Op wants us to put in our opinion and i did

1. Make an uber/taxify request, you will find out that 50% of the time, it's a Camry that shows up.

Corolla, i will agree

2. I have more than 10 friends who bought Honda Accord for uber & removed them in less than a year due to associated cost of repair & their inability to resale for a reasonable amount after usage.

This is either a big exaggeration or your friends are not good businessmen

3. I have so many referrals who bought more Toyota Camry to add to their fleet after about a year in the business.

A Toyota is a choice for most Nigerians by default. The most common Toyotas are camry and corolla. Are you aware that corolla is a tad more expensive to camry of same year and same condition? This means ppl will go for the cheaper one which is camry. I will never buy camry for Uber or Taxify or any transportation business, i will buy a corolla or civic.

Transport companies use Toyota for interstate commute; do you think they don't like Honda or can't afford it for the business?

Major reasons are ground clearance and fuel economy which are the strongest pros of Toyota. Honda is also not the the buses category. In the transport business, the 1st thing to consider is fuel, secondly ground clearance and thirdly spare parts. The choice of Toyota is obvious

4. My neighbour used a brand new Honda Accord for 5 years had an accident with it & switched to a camry; he clearly prefers the camry in terms of durability, cost of maintenance etc.

Let me tell you my own experience.
My colleague and I got the same amount of money 5yrs ago, i bought a 2003 Honda Accord same amount as my colleague who bought a 2002 Toyota Corolla. Both cars depreciated in value. I am sure of 900k today while i wont tell my enemy to buy his own for 600k. One thing he cried so much about was shock absorber. He has spent a fortune changing them year in year out. The highest single amount i have spent in repairs is changing power steering pump of 12k apart from buying tyres or battery. Yet he boast that a full tank of his car can take him abj - zaria twice. Yes mine will not do it but mine will do that trip more comfortable and without incuring repair loses. If i am asked to make a choice again, its going to be the Honda.

After a year or so of usage in Nigeria, camry has a better resale value than the Accord which is the crux of this thread.

Samsung and iphone make good phones, iphone has a better resale value than samsung. iphone is the most prestigious phone around, but i dont like it. The same way people want a Toyota but i want a Honda. This also translates to most Nigerians who prefer Toyota even when the reason they want a Toyota is just for resale value.

Again, to each his own.

Even if i continue to hype the Honda, Nigerians will not stop buying Toyota. Isnt that obvious?

Even as i am a Honda fan, my own mother requested for a Toyota same way most Nigerians do. I got her a suitable one. But 4 months down, in the same road i ply weekly for years without a problem, this Toyota's shock absorber got damaged from a pothhole i hit several times in my Honda.

14 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by lilkech(m): 9:22am On Mar 14, 2018
Honda beat Toyota any day anytime in their sedan category. You can’t compare vvti to ivtec.

Put Camry 2000 vs accord 2000 side by side
Camry 2003 vs accord 2003
Camry 2008 vs accord 2008
Camry 2013 vs accord 2013
Camry 2018 vs accord 2018

My brother if you can remove our Nigerian fear of fuel consumption and ball joint wahala accord kills Camry every time in aesthetics, handling, premium feel, engine power e.t.c

The resale value is just happening only in Nigeria as we are more used to Toyota because our trusted mechanics love them

15 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by ikegwegbe(m): 10:41am On Mar 14, 2018
lilkech:
Honda beat Toyota any day anytime in their sedan category. You can’t compare vvti to ivtec.

My brother if you can remove our Nigerian fear of fuel consumption and ball joint wahala accord kills Camry every time in aesthetics, handling, premium feel, engine power e.t.c

The resale value is just happening only in Nigeria as we are more used to Toyota because our trusted mechanics love them
I totally disagree with you, Toyota has a variety to choose from while Honda cars are limited, let's conmpare Honda pilot and Toyota Highlander or honda city with Toyota Corolla

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by lilkech(m): 11:15am On Mar 14, 2018
ikegwegbe:
I totally disagree with you, Toyota has a variety to choose from while Honda cars are limited, let's conmpare Honda pilot and Toyota Highlander or honda city with Toyota Corolla

My brother, Honda Pilot is far far better than highlander to me in every ramification except maybe fuel consumption. If you want to compare Corolla then do so with a civic and not city.

Check out the dashboards for the 2003 versions of both rides below and tell yourself the truth. Especially with the suvs

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by YoungDaddyB: 12:02pm On Mar 14, 2018
bravolad:

uhmm actually its because the accord styles of car are too classy to be used as a taxi. if you were on the road and you saw a Camry big for nothing pick you up as a taxi you will think nothing about it but if I come with an EOD, you will be confused and almost not get in the car. the accords have a classy design that is yet to be associated with commercial transport. the accord says classy and luxury, the Camry says formal and business.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by bravolad(m): 4:10pm On Mar 14, 2018
[quote author=adanny01 post=65821340][/quote]

This argument won't put money in my pocket. Just so u know, I own a 2011 Camry as a daily driver. I have a neighbour who bought an accord almost the same time I bought mine (about 2 years ago) he regularly most times the car is parked because of one fault or the other while mine is always on the road.

The fact that it is used for transport & has a better resale is a testament that they are better than their Honda counterpart.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by JerrCa(m): 8:26pm On Mar 14, 2018
Thanks for all your comments! Now, my take from the North American perspective(Canada specifically) is that, Toyota Camry sells more than any other sedan followed by Honda Civic. Not even followed by Honda accord. Also, I've monitored almost every popular car auction in Canada, for every toyota auctioned, there is more bidders from around the world compared to Honda. Now, that says something about their brand.
Even though, i have driven a Honda without an issue- remember, i did not subject it to our rugged/bumpy roads in naija compared to what you find overseas.
I recently tracked 2 vehicles auctioned( a Honda accord 2011 and a Toyota 2011) with similar beef-up and accidental damage and (only back bumpers broken, almost same km and both black in Color), The Toyota had 20 bidders while the Honda had just 4 bidders. And the Honda ended up being sold for less by a difference of $900

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by adanny01(m): 8:11am On Mar 15, 2018
JerrCa:
Thanks for all your comments! Now, my take from the North American perspective(Canada specifically) is that, Toyota Camry sells more than any other sedan followed by Honda Civic. Not even followed by Honda accord. Also, I've monitored almost every popular car auction in Canada, for every toyota auctioned, there is more bidders from around the world compared to Honda. Now, that says something about their brand.
Even though, i have driven a Honda without an issue- remember, i did not subject it to our rugged/bumpy roads in naija compared to what you find overseas.
I recently tracked 2 vehicles auctioned( a Honda accord 2011 and a Toyota 2011) with similar beef-up and accidental damage and (only back bumpers broken, almost same km and both black in Color), The Toyota had 20 bidders while the Honda had just 4 bidders. And the Honda ended up being sold for less by a difference of $900

You have said it all but have not realised it.

From what you said, both cars were in almost the same condition. I would be right to say that the person who bought the Honda has more value for his money than the person who bought the Toyota.

The real issue is value. Toyota is overrated and because of its demand, it has also been over valued. There are cars to buy that will be appealing, reliable and give more value for money than Toyota.

Ask yourself why in buying a brand new Camry, there is a wide price gap to the Corolla, but as short as 5yrs later the second hand value of Corolla would have caught up with Camry.

If a brand new Camry is N20m and a brand new Corolla is N15m, 5yrs later, the Camry will be worth N7m and corolla N6m. In another 5years, you will see Camry N1.5m and corolla N1.6m.

Presently in Nigeria, a tokumbo 2010 Camry will be sold at same price with a 2010 Corolla and a 2010 Accord but the 2010 Civic will be cheaper.

12 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Mar 15, 2018
adanny01:

You have said it all but have not realised it.

From what you said, both cars were in almost the same condition. I would be right to say that the person who bought the Honda has more value for his money than the person who bought the Toyota.

The real issue is value. Toyota is overrated and because of its demand, it has also been over valued. There are cars to buy that will be appealing, reliable and give more value for money than Toyota.

Ask yourself why in buying a brand new Camry, there is a wide price gap to the Corolla, but as short as 5yrs later the second hand value of Corolla would have caught up with Camry.

If a brand new Camry is N20m and a brand new Corolla is N15m, 5yrs later, the Camry will be worth N7m and corolla N6m. In another 5years, you will see Camry N1.5m and corolla N1.6m.

Presently in Nigeria, a tokumbo 2010 Camry will be sold at same price with a 2010 Corolla and a 2010 Accord but the 2010 Civic will be cheaper.

what about utility? Vehicle application?
Cost of parts? Fuel economy?

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by adanny01(m): 1:32pm On Mar 15, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

what about utility? Vehicle application?
Cost of parts? Fuel economy?

Let me start from the back. I will use Camry and Accord

Fuel economy
According to Edmunds Camry has a range of 407miles while accord has a range of 388. Thats a difference of 19miles. Camry has a combine MPG of 26 while Accord is 25. That means the fuel difference is under a gallon. My estimation puts it at around 2.7liter. Assume its 3liters, that translates to N435.

With Camry, we are looking at less than N500 savings.

Cost of parts
Am sure you know more about this, I will still say something.

Common replacement parts in Camry is stabilizer linkage, and shocks.

Common replacement parts in the Accord is stabilizer linkage, tie rod ends and wishbone bushing.

Sum the cost of these parts, they would be in the same range. In my local area. Camry would be more expensive with regards to these parts.

With regards to major repairs, Accord is still cheaper with cheaper engine and cheaper transmission.

Vehilce Application/Utility (these termd are synonymous)
If is commercial, say Uber/Taxify/airport taxi, Camry suits better especially with better mileage

If is private Accord suits better

If its car hire, due to the user preference of Toyota, its usually preferable.

6 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
adanny01:

Let me start from the back. I will use Camry and Accord

Fuel economy
According to Edmunds Camry has a range of 407miles while accord has a range of 388. Thats a difference of 19miles. Camry has a combine MPG of 26 while Accord is 25. That means the fuel difference is under a gallon. My estimation puts it at around 2.7liter. Assume its 3liters, that translates to N435.

With Camry, we are looking at less than N500 savings.

Cost of parts
Am sure you know more about this, I will still say something.

Common replacement parts in Camry is stabilizer linkage, and shocks.

Common replacement parts in the Accord is stabilizer linkage, tie rod ends and wishbone bushing.

Sum the cost of these parts, they would be in the same range. In my local area. Camry would be more expensive with regards to these parts.

With regards to major repairs, Accord is still cheaper with cheaper engine and cheaper transmission.

Vehilce Application/Utility (these termd are synonymous)
If is commercial, say Uber/Taxify/airport taxi, Camry suits better especially with better mileage

If is private Accord suits better

If its car hire, due to the user preference of Toyota, its usually preferable.

for uber/taxify a 1.7m corrola will replace it's self in 52weeks with ease if no major accidents.
Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by diportivo: 5:32pm On Mar 15, 2018
thunder fire toyota grin

#teamaccord grin

8 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by Exponental(m): 6:33am On Mar 16, 2018
Let me refer you to Accord '03 and Camry '03!
One is End of Discussion (glo's advert hit it right for sure) and the other is Big for nothing (big daddy is a consolation). The difference is clear!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by Obierika(m): 7:34am On Jul 22, 2018
lilkech:

Disposable income in Nigeria is low, therefore what matters most to a car buyer is low maintenance cost not aesthetics!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by que4: 9:27am On Jul 22, 2018
ikegwegbe:

Honda City is on par with the Yaris (not Corolla).
The Corolla is comparable to the Civic

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by lilkech(m): 8:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
Obierika:

Disposable income in Nigeria is low, therefore what matters most to a car buyer is low maintenance cost not aesthetics!

Yes oh! That’s our 9ja for us grin

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? by Jamie1000: 7:11am On Aug 08, 2023
lilkech:

So, why should you remove those wahala when they are very important. You're rushing to catch a flight, your leg pulls. Honda is cheap luxury.

(1) (Reply)

Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. / 2003 Toyota Corolla S Vs 2003 Honda Accord / Can Exhaust Net Be Removed And Replaced Wit Iron Pipe By Panel Beaters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.