Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG (4438 Views)

corruption trial: CCT chairman says henceforth trial will be conducted daily / Psychiatric Test To Be Conducted On Serving Policemen, Recruits – IGP / NAF Alpha Jets Conducted Four Airstrikes Against Boko Haram in 24hrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by kosovo(m): 7:21pm On Apr 30, 2010
The Federal Government said yesterday that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, would conduct next year's Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, online nationwide.
Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufai, who said this at the submission of Implementation Committee on e-learning draft report in Abuja, added that the government was ready to deploy e-learning infrastructure across the education sector to ensure the purpose is achieved.

She said electronic learning is now a common platform to enhancing education delivery all over the world, adding, "our country must keep abreast of the current trends in education sector to meet our diverse developmental objectives."

According to her: "it is as a result of this that the Federal Ministry of Education sought the approval of the Federal Government to deploy e-learning infrastructure across the education sector.”

Prof. Rufai further said, "I am proud to say that not only have Mr. President and the Executive Council recognised the importance of this in our nation's transformational goals, the initiative has now been adopted by the Federal Government.

"To ensure sustainability, the initiative would be initiated through Public Private Partnership, PPP. In doing so, we are going to be guided by the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Committee, which is a member of the implementation committee.

"E-learning is about the application of Information and Communication Technology, ICT. It will enhance efficiency and quality in all areas of our education system. We must pool our resources to ensure that this is deployed without delay.

"The e-learning cuts across all sectors, it is ideal therefore, to have a collective approach towards funding the project. I understand that the STEP-B National Project secretariat has funds for Bandwidth Aggression in our federal universities.

"Since this is an element of e-learning, I am directing that this fund be used towards the deployment of e-learning. It will benefit not only the universities, but also other post-basic and tertiary institutions.

Prof. Rufai further declared, "the e-learning initiative is among my core areas of concentration in the next few months", adding,"œand I will do everything to focus my attention on the project".

http://www.enownow.com/news/story.php?sno=5868
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by otokx(m): 7:32pm On Apr 30, 2010
Another white elephant project. Is it everyone that knows how to use computer?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by kosovo(m): 7:53pm On Apr 30, 2010
This goes to show the Unseriousness of the Nigeria Government!
What a waste of reasoning . . . .
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by tundewoods(m): 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2010
Come on you can't be kidding me. So the FG wants to turn Jamb into a prometric centre thingy abi, LOL! grin
Them think sey na Na beans ! no be CCNA abi MSCS, undecided
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by PapaBrowne(m): 8:36pm On Apr 30, 2010
otokx:

What are you talking about
Anyone that doesn't know how to use a computer has no right to seek admission into university!!
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by PapaBrowne(m): 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2010
kosovo:

This goes to show the Unseriousness of the Nigeria Government!
What a waste of reasoning . . . .

How can this be a waste of reasoning Do you have any idea the multiplier effect this would have on the nation's education sector??
With this, anyone who wants attend university would go and get some computer literacy. If you can log on to the internet, then you have the world at your feet.

This Government is a thinking Government. This is lovely. Afterall, TOEFL, IELTS, and a whole lot other international exams are written online.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by kosovo(m): 6:39am On May 01, 2010
@ PapaBrowne, you have no idea of what youa re talking about, did your Government provide computers and teachers for primary and post primary schools? Government just wakes on morning and start saying crap, the same way Dora came, instructed all telecoms companies to reduce tarrifs, how pathetic, she was ridiculed as i exppected, When tHE Government of a Nation called Nigeria is serious, Everyone would know!
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by DeepSoul(f): 9:20am On May 01, 2010
Big White Elephant Project!

PapaBrowne:

With this, anyone who wants attend university would go and get some computer literacy. If you can log on to the internet, then you have the world at your feet.
Some people had to pay thru their noses before they miraculously finished Secondary school. Where do u want them to "go and get" computer literacy from?

Is the Government planning to equip schools with computers?? Is the Government planning to set up IT centers?

In as much as this might sound like a good idea, it really isnt logical for it to be executed in Nigeria right now
It's simply a case of putting the cart before the horse!!
There are just too many basic things lacking in the Educational sector for this to be even considered
This is a country where we still have students who learn under trees, learn in classrooms without roofs etc.
The Universities are a total mess (@least the one I went to was and still is!).
The quality of education is appalling and rather than concentrate on training teachers and lecturers to improve on it, they are talking of writing Jamb online!
Infact, I dey vex! angry

And oh, we havent even considered the yahoo boys grin
Jamb is just waiting to be hacked into!

Some hungry people are just looking for a new way to eat money angry
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by LoveKing(m): 9:47am On May 01, 2010
Deep Soul:

Big White Elephant Project!
Some people had to pay thru their noses before they miraculously finished Secondary school. Where do u want them to "go and get" computer literacy from?

Is the Government planning to equip schools with computers?? Is the Government planning to set up IT centers?

In as much as this might sound like a good idea, it really isnt logical for it to be executed in Nigeria right now
It's simply a case of putting the cart before the horse!!
There are just too many basic things lacking in the Educational sector for this to be even considered
This is a country where we still have students who learn under trees, learn in classrooms without roofs etc.
The Universities are a total mess (@least the one I went to was and still is!).
The quality of education is appalling and rather than concentrate on training teachers and lecturers to improve on it, they are talking of writing Jamb online!
Infact, I dey vex! angry

And oh, we havent even considered the yahoo boys grin
Jamb is just waiting to be hacked into!

Some hungry people are just looking for a new way to eat money angry

Why you dey yan long thing? Dont you know they are just postulating theorems?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by simplicit(m): 4:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
Well it is a welcome development, but as far as am concern, these cant be done next year, it will be maybe after 3 - 4 years when necessary things have been put in place, Secondary Schools equipped with computers and other things necessary, bt for now , hell no that aint going to be possible. Rome is nt built in a day.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2010
If Jamb does the right things, I believe this is more than possible. But as always, there is the chance that this might turn into another white elephant project.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by ak21(m): 1:31pm On Aug 17, 2010
E-learning, e-exam,e-booking,e-transportion,e-banking,e-election and all the E-stuffs are all good if provided in the right environment with effective and efficient facilities to drive it home, Yes, We can e-anything!!!
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by paddylo1(m): 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2010

u want to get into the university. . but u dont know how to use a computer?. . .

ok oh. . ndo
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 17, 2010
most posters on nairaland represnt a miniuscle segment of nigerias population that are priviledged or lucky enough to have resources that give them access to computrs and the internet

unless you want to toe a new line - tertiary education is not for the poor

anyone who has taken gre will tell you - you MUST practise using a computer based materials.

i took the gre in 2003. i first went through some three of four books, i was acing them, being paper based. i then installed the test simulation software on my pc. i thought it would be the same. it was HARD. i was very tired when i finished. i had to practise for two months before i was ready for computer based testing.

my point - online jamb is a complete paradigm shift that is not suported by nigerias infrastructure

it requires that all who take the exam have lacccess to pcs on a regular basis
that we have computer based trainig materials (a non existent nigerian industry)
regular electricty

it will just wind up being another billion naira spend with no results
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Aug 17, 2010
oyb:

most posters on nairaland represnt a miniuscle segment of nigerias population that are priviledged or lucky enough to have resources that give them access to computrs and the internet
There is no doubt about that ! Some of the arguments are so abstract, it is hard to imagine they are connected in anyway with the reality of existence in Nigeria for the vast majority.

oyb:

unless you want to toe a new line - tertiary education is not for the poor
anyone who has taken gre will tell you - you MUST practise using a computer based materials.
i took the gre in 2003. i first went through some three of four books, i was acing them, being paper based. i then installed the test simulation software on my pc. i thought it would be the same. it was HARD. i was very tired when i finished. i had to practise for two months before i was ready for computer based testing.
my point - online jamb is a complete paradigm shift that is not suported by nigerias infrastructure
I am not real certain about the next year date but I do believe it is possible to move from paper to e-paper, however, I don't believe it can/should be 100% in the beginning. I remember the GRE exam only a couple of years ago was on Paper and I hear that many centers still offer paper options. 

oyb:

it requires that all who take the exam have lacccess to pcs on a regular basis
that we have computer based trainig materials (a non existent nigerian industry)
regular electricty
it will just wind up being another billion naira spend with no results
This is the portion where we call on our Educators to come back down to REALITY!
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by egift(m): 12:43am On Sep 23, 2010
A government that keeps staggering and sweet-talking the masses is a very useless one. No clear agenda to fix Nigeria.

Oh, he thought everyone will jump at it - and maybe check his Facebook before the examination is up! Keep fooling around.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by slap1(m): 1:01am On Sep 23, 2010
The same way they said they were gonna give peeps admission this year, no post-UME. What happened? Jokers! @ Papabrowne. It is safe to conclude you never tasted poverty. Lucky you!
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by GoodMuyis(m): 10:02am On Nov 10, 2010
[center][size=14pt]It will be Frustration when Internet Connection goes bad,

And Then What[/size]

[size=18pt]Mass Failure[/size]
[/center]
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Opeyemi5(m): 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2010
When i registration going to close
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Nsiman(m): 8:25pm On Dec 14, 2010
Let's wait and see how prepared the govt is
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Pharoh: 4:47am On Dec 15, 2010
This is a very welcome development and i support it in full but just cannot understand all the negativity towards this project?. They did not wake up to decide this project because if you guys have been close to JAMB, you will realize they already had this project in place many years ago.

I believe everything will be sorted out with the deployment of those e-learning centers and the online text will not be so sophisticated like gre or gmat. The only difficult aspect might be those with calculations but the others is just a simple clicking and submitting if answers. After the JAMB exams the e-learning centers will serve other purposes and with more planning time they could be able to optimize the process.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by texazzpete(m): 7:17am On Dec 15, 2010
It's not surprising that it's the people outside Nigeria here that are in support of this stupid move.
Every year, more than 600,000 students take JAMB. A large part of this number comes from people living in areas that cannot be described as 'urban' by any stretch of the imagination. And believe it or not, internet penetration in Nigeria is still rather low.

Rather than making supercilious statements from the comfort of an environment where everything works, think of the immense logistics challenges to make this happen. How do you ensure a good, stable connection for everyone who is going to write this exam?

Perhaps if you people had actually done your NYSC In Nigeria and taught in a rural community like i did, you'd be more informed about the circumstances in which millions of Nigerians do their secondary education.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Pharoh: 10:38am On Dec 15, 2010
I have not seen where citizens of a country are doubting the capability of their government to execute a project like in nigeria. sad
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by texazzpete(m): 11:25am On Dec 15, 2010
Pharoh:

I have not seen where citizens of a country are doubting the capability of their government to execute a project like in nigeria.   sad

I have not seen anywhere else where an intelligent person will not take past performance into account when attempting to predict the future.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by semid4lyfe(m): 11:47am On Dec 15, 2010
Silly move. . .if dem try am the first year, dem nor go try am again for the next 20yrs. I can imagine the logistic problems. . . .even UNILAG that has done it's last 2 post jambs online in it's school premises is still grappling with lots of issues talk less of JAMB that would be conducting a nationwide exam real-time.

I forsee enough power and server failure. It'd be a chance for one PDP bigwig to collect contract and line his pockets sha grin
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Kennyblues(m): 11:50am On Dec 15, 2010
Its appalling to see the government thinking in a direction like this perhaps if neccessary things are put in place, it might work.

who will be responsible for the computers to be used by the prospecting candidates?
what is the ratio of cyber cafes in nigeria to the prospecting candidates?
what is the efficiency and effectiveness of the ISP used by the available cafes in nigeria?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by ladi02(m): 12:06pm On Dec 15, 2010
LOL, i am sure how this idea came about. .one person went to the Minister of Education to propose it. .maybe after the individual saw it on TV grin

The Minister didnt think much about it, and how it will work in the Nigerian Society. .proceeded to Mr. President that has been demanding for innovation cheesy

And Next thing! let me tell the media to see how progressive Mr. President's government is grin

Pls stand first before trying to run. .before you fall and break a leg
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Pharoh: 12:33pm On Dec 15, 2010
texazzpete:

I have not seen anywhere else where an intelligent person will not take past performance into account when attempting to predict the future.

You can keep the insults to yourself next time Mr texazzpete . . . and past performance means this will also be a failure in your prediction right?

A good project plan and strategy will this feat pulled off despite all the challenges only if people can keep their head down and think right for a minute.

I am sure if you guys are giving a project like this to execute the next thing you will say is that it can not be pulled off so they can just forget about it.

Think for once that if you were given these project and how you can go about it then you will see the stupidity in doubting the little effort others are trying to make while you sit behind your laptop to condemn it.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by texazzpete(m): 1:42pm On Dec 15, 2010
Pharoh:

You can keep the insults to yourself next time Mr texazzpete . . . and past performance means this will also be a failure in your prediction right?

It's a very good indicator that it could be a failure, yes. Even my 5 year old niece could have told you that. Would it really hurt you to inject some realism into your thought processes sometimes?

Pharoh:

A good project plan and strategy will this feat pulled off despite all the challenges only if people can keep their head down and think right for a minute.

I am sure if you guys are giving a project like this to execute the next thing you will say is that it can not be pulled off so they can just forget about it.

You forget the third element: Time.
Internet penetration in Nigeria is still quite low. As i said before, If you had done your NYSC in any rural area, this point would not be so difficult for you to comprehend.
Unfortunately, for you unimaginative fellows, when you think of potential JAMB candidates you probably imagine some well coiffured kids in Ikoyi and ikeja. But hundreds of thousands of others are there in remote villages in Nigeria. There are secondary schools in places with minimal electricity, with very little internet exposure etc.
Even in 'urban' areas, fast and reliable internet connection can be a premium. Huge swathes of Nigeria is covered only by slow EDGE or GPRS cellular data and many others by the often unreliable CDMA/EVDO carriers.

In other words, it's a logistics nightmare to expect to execute something of this complexity at such short notice.

Pharoh:

Think for once that if you were given these project and how you can go about it then you will see the stupidity in doubting the little effort others are trying to make while you sit behind your laptop to condemn it.

If i were given this project, i'd start with a small pilot scheme of a few thousand students to determine the feasibility of rolling out this plan on such a wide scale. I won't subscribe to your brainless and unfounded optimism. That's just stupid.
See, JAMB is the ONLY exam that these kids can take to enter Universities in Nigeria (at least the Govt owned Unis). it only comes around ONCE a year, and it's too important to too many people to mess around with it. That's why i'd take time to properly study and understand the risks before messing with the existing formula.

Pharoh:

while you sit behind your laptop to condemn it.

Actually its a desktop grin
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme To Be Conducted Online - FG by Pharoh: 6:59pm On Dec 15, 2010
Actually its a desktop grin

No wonder you are against the conducting of this exam online, please try and move along with the pacesetters and tell that your five year old cousin to keep quiet. grin

It's a very good indicator that it could be a failure, yes. Even my 5 year old niece could have told you that. Would it really hurt you to inject some realism into your thought processes sometimes?

Indicators are there for guidance and should not serve as a criteria for killing a project which my 3 year old niece would have easily pointed out to you. cool

You forget the third element: Time.
Internet penetration in Nigeria is still quite low. As i said before, If you had done your NYSC in any rural area, this point would not be so difficult for you to comprehend.
Unfortunately, for you unimaginative fellows, when you think of potential JAMB candidates you probably imagine some well coiffured kids in Ikoyi and ikeja. But hundreds of thousands of others are there in remote villages in Nigeria. There are secondary schools in places with minimal electricity, with very[b] little internet exposure[/b] etc.
Even in 'urban' areas, fast and reliable internet connection can be a premium. Huge swathes of Nigeria is covered only by slow EDGE or GPRS cellular data and many others by the often unreliable CDMA/EVDO carriers.

In other words, it's a[b] logistics nightmare[/b] to expect to execute something of this complexity at such short notice.

You are just throwing statistics here and there and highlighting problems which if you have reasoned properly then it will be obvious that the above initiative is catalyst to solve those problems. I beg of you for one thing because it seems most of you are just focused on the JAMB part without reading carefully to pick up details. Do you realize that they have not even given you the breakdown of the process and you are condemning them. I am sure you know better than JAMB and the ministry of education about the logistics in conducting the so called examination?. undecided

Once again brother, try to have a discussion without insult and just do one thing for me. Go back to the article, read carefully and pay attention to details with an open mind. Here are some words below to help you in seeing clearly.

Federal Government
Minister for Education
Implementation committee
E-learning
E-learning infrastructure
Education
Purpose
Platform
Education sector
Transformation goals
adopted
Sustainability
Public private partnership
Infrastructure concession regulatory committee
education system and ICT
Step-B national project
Bandwidth aggression
Federal universities
project

The JAMB online test is a subset of a comprehensive e-learning project by the ministry of education, so please read the article again and open your mind towards our development.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015: Extraordinary Election Campaign Materials / Are Yorubas Really On The Right Path For Supporting Buhari? / All Yoruba And Igbo Must Read This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.