Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,045 members, 7,838,638 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge (29509 Views)

The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge / Lagos State Government's Explanation Of Land Use Charge / Land Use Charge Law Of 2018: Things You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by gaby(m): 3:22pm On Mar 15, 2018
maclatunji:
• Cuts commercial charges by 50%,
• Reduces charges for Owner-occupier with 3rd party including industries and manufacturing concerns by 25%
• Waives Penalty for Late Payments across board
• Gives tax credits for LUC charges already paid
• Introduces Instalmental Payment System

The Lagos State Government, in its desire to build world class infrastructure and improve the well-being of its citizens reviewed the Land Use Charges payable by all property owners. This exercise was received with mixed feelings by various interest groups who expressed serious concerns.

In line with this administration’s tradition of inclusive governance and civic engagement, and as a Government that is committed to the welfare of its citizens and understands the importance of continuously engaging the populace, we undertook extensive dialogue with various stakeholders on the Land Use Charge (“LUC”) revised Law and its implementation.

Consequently, we received a wide range of responses from our dialogue with various stakeholders on the amended LUC Law 2018. The stakeholders included the Organised Private Sector, Nigeria Bar Association, Real estate investors & developers, Landlord & Resident Associations, Community Development Associations, Civil Society Organisations, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industries (LCCI), Nigeria Institute of Estate Surveyors & Valuers and several other professional groups.

These various interactions formed the subject of extensive deliberations at the meeting of the Lagos State Executive Council on Wednesday, March 14th, 2018. The Lagos State Executive Council chaired by His Excellency, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, therefore resolved as follows:

1. Commercial Property: Commercial Property owners, who are undoubtedly the stakeholders mostly impacted by this amended Law will be granted 50% discount. This means a commercial property valued at N20 million which was earlier billed N91,200 will now pay N45,600 per annum.

2. Property Occupied by Owner and Third Party & Property Used for Industrial and Manufacturing Purposes: These categories of property will now enjoy 25% discount. This means that a N20 million property expected to pay N30,720 will now pay N23,040 per annum.

3. Owner-occupied Property: This category of property will enjoy 15% discount. For a N20 million property, this used to be N9,120. Now, it is N7,752 per annum.

4. The penalty regime for late payment of LUC has been waived completely. Therefore, LUC payers who have received their bills will no longer be penalised for late payment of bills issued in 2018, thereby providing additional relief to LUC payers.

5. Other rates and reliefs, apart from the ones stated above, will remain unchanged and will be implemented as stipulated by the Law. These include 40% general relief, 10% for 70 years and above, 10% for properties owned by persons living with disability and 10% for properties that are 25 years old and so on and so forth.

6. Owners of Property across all categories will now be allowed to make payments by instalments. This will help to reduce the burden of taxation on our citizens.

7. We appreciate and commend property owners of all categories who have performed their civic duties faithfully by paying the LUC. Consequently, as a result of these new measures, those who have paid the original amount will be awarded tax credits to the extent of the excess amount paid and carried forward to next year.

It is our fervent desire to ensure that we empower every property owner with the self-assessment provisions of the law. Therefore, we shall forward to the Lagos State House of Assembly for review and passage the following regulations:

a) The Regulation for review of applicable rates and regime of reliefs on Categories of Properties pursuant to LUC Law.

b) The Regulation for a framework for self-assessment

We implore all stakeholders to participate effectively in the legislative proceedings and sincerely appreciate them for trusting the current administration with the responsibility of investing the revenue from LUC in infrastructure renewal and overall development of our State. We will continue to make your tax work for you.

Itesiwaju ipinle Eko lo je wa l’ogun!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/see-details-lagos-state-government-reduces-land-use-charge-luc/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

This was actually the expected outcome and final price by the owners of Lagos.They did expect the backlash so they had to peg the charges so high and then appear to have succumbed to the backlash by dropping the charges to their targeted prices.

Bar the consequences of reaping where one did not sow..to do guy na small thing na..

Simple mind games.

7 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by ajl: 3:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
duni04:

Bros abeg no vex me this afternoon! Nigerians like awoof like how? What service is the Lagos state government rendering to home owners in Lagos to justify collecting Land use charge and property tax yearly? I'm paying Lawma fee and my street is piling with refuse. Im paying property tax and the road to my house is not motorable. Is this what obtains in other countries?

You have a point. Then demand for these things. Even the land use charges should be going to Local govt...who then use this to develop infrastructures.. not state govt... who the people are not close to.

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by dinggle: 3:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
Lagosians have two options:
1. Sell your property and runaway from Lagos to the new emerging and planned mega city of Calabar where there is appreciation for life and rest of mind, when Calabar port begins full operation Lagos will die a natural, slow, painful and unavoidable death.
2. Vote out Ambode and all the senators in Lagos!..APC is dead of ideas hence the extortion, Ambode is no different from the Agberos holding danfo bus drivers to ransom.

3 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Gucciboss: 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2018
Law that won't even affect landlords sef.

They have not heard about incidence of taxation.

Well if things get too hot we may be left with the option of getting out of the kitchen.

After all, it was the so called villagers that buried my town's man that died at the age of 40. He lived in the city but people that buried him are in the village. So tell me what's the fuss?

Mesef don vex.

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by DNaijab: 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2018
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by knnthroyales: 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2018
my only problem with this whole deal is the fraudulent valuation of property.

3 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by duni04(m): 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
dinggle:
Lagosians have two options:
1. Sell your property and runaway from Lagos to the new emerging and planned mega city of Calabar where there is appreciation for life and rest of mind, when Calabar port begins full operation Lagos will die a natural, slow, painful and unavoidable death.
2. Vote out Ambode and all the senators in Lagos!..APC is dead of ideas hence the extortion, Ambode is no different from the Agberos holding danfo bus drivers to ransom.
Option 2 is becoming the reality to every sane person that lives in Lagos. Even those die hard APC people are starting to realise that survival in Lagos begins by voting that idiot prick Ambode and his party out in 2019. It's non negotiable. That's the only way to survive in Lagos today before Ambode turns us all to Tinubus dogs.

2 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by tivta(m): 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
obajoey:
My visa to Canada this year will not pass me by in JESUS MIGHTY NAME.

ta there, you mean relocation not visit...
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by olaboy1: 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
duni04:

Bros abeg no vex me this afternoon! Nigerians like awoof like how? What service is the Lagos state government rendering to home owners in Lagos to justify collecting Land use charge and property tax yearly? I'm paying Lawma fee and my street is piling with refuse. Im paying property tax and the road to my house is not motorable. Is this what obtains in other countries?

Development is a process, a step at a time. Past governments have neglected Lagos and the development in Lagos actually started during Bola Tinubu second term, the first term was used to pacify party faithfuls.

Ambode is doing a good job and if you are not biased you would see a big difference in the development of Lagos, the emergency service for example.

Development will get to you soonest and stop been paranoid and just pay your taxes and have trust in this administration.
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by divineappo(m): 3:35pm On Mar 15, 2018
mybestlove:
I't is still too much. In Europe, taxes on houses are based on square metres occupied (size) and not market value. What are your bases of valuation. This is just to destroy Lagos property business.

Ambode is a greedy Sherlock.

His main target is the Ibo business men who are developing Lagos for him.

Nigerians have been taken for fools; just raise it up when they lament then, cut it small they'll accept and pay.

Very very soon, businesses are going out of Lagos.
I am totally against the LUC policy, but why are u making the LUC issue a tribal one.

what has the LUC policy got to do with Igbo people? an ethnic bigot like u should be deleted from Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by duni04(m): 3:36pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:

Development is a process, a step at a time. Past governments have neglected Lagos and the development in Lagos actually started during Bola Tinubu second term, the first term was used to pacify party faithfuls.

Ambode is doing a good job and if you are not biased you would see a big difference in the development of Lagos, the emergency service for example.

Development will get to you soonest and stop been paranoid and just pay your taxes and have trust in this administration.
Oga you sound like an interested party in this.
Why has the current LASG refused to update the procurement website set up by Fashola since 2015. All procurement contracts awarded in Lagos today are shrouded in secrecy as there is no means for verification by the public. They want to increase the collection of our money through taxes and then decrease the transparency associated with the spending of our money.

4 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by thunderbabs: 3:36pm On Mar 15, 2018
PaChukwudi44:
Ambode is a criminal.This stupid act must never be allowed to stand.Wickedness and deceit of the highest order!!!! Shame on him

As for the punishment, i think he deserves it too
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by cooltola(m): 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2018
feudalism
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Gucciboss: 3:42pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:

It's like you just got a job at Alausa. Respect yourself oo.

So there was no development in Lagos before Tinubu. All the companies were built after Tinubu abi. All the banks headquarters were located in the Bush before your messiah came on board abi. There were no electric pole before Tinubu shey? Be very careful

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Queenserah26(f): 3:42pm On Mar 15, 2018
shocked
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by olaboy1: 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
duni04:

Oga you sound like an interested party in this.
Why has the current LASG refused to update the procurement website set up by Fashola since 2015. All procurement contracts awarded in Lagos today are shrouded in secrecy as there is no means for verification by the public. They want to increase the collection of our money through taxes and then decrease the transparency associated with the spending of our money.

I do not belong to any political party and many times I have advocated for a transparent system of governance. I have written several petitions to my local government council on how to operate a transparent system of governance.

I strongly support your argument on putting government contracts in public document that we all can access.
We need to keep pushing for this as it’s one of the major steps to curb corruption.

2 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by wellmax(m): 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
PaChukwudi44:
bullshit!!!!!who the Bleep values the houses? This criminals in alausa will see a house worth N30M and say it is N600M.God must surely punish both Tinubu band Ambode.What the Bleep do they even mean by the current value of the properties? Did the landlords even tell anyone they wanted to sell their houses?

Illiteracy is indeed a disease.
₦20,000 is used as an example.
Houses will be valued based on current market prices.
Estate valuers abound everywhere.
In some cases landlord even provide the value of their houses which will be ratified by government officials.
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by olaboy1: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2018
Gucciboss:

It's like you just got a job at Alausa. Respect yourself oo.

So there was no development in Lagos before Tinubu. All the companies were built after Tinubu abi. All the banks headquarters were located in the Bush before your messiah came on board abi. There were no electric pole before Tinubu shey? Be very careful

Don’t let me school you about Lagos my friend. We are talking infrastructure you are talking Nepa poles and bank headquarters.

What were the conditions of all the roads in Marina before Tinubu second term?
Guy behave yourself.
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by ameri9ja: 3:56pm On Mar 15, 2018
#AMBODE MUST GO!!!
He and his little arrogant priest-sacking wife!

Don't forget his wife had a pastor dismissed because she had to stand in line to give offering like everyone else!

Arrogant little people.

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Gucciboss: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:

Don’t let me school you about Lagos my friend. We are talking infrastructure you are talking Nepa poles and bank headquarters.

What were the conditions of all the roads in Marina before Tinubu second term?
Guy behave yourself.

You better respect yourself oo. You said development initially. Do you even know what development is? I don't want to waste my time schooling you on that blunder. Again be very careful man
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Enemyofpeace: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2018
obajoey:
me too in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by OBAGADAFFI: 3:59pm On Mar 15, 2018
ajl:

I think that's where the problem is. But paying (0.225%) $129 (N45k) on property worth $56,000 (N20 milliin) almost amount to nothing. Where I live I pay about (1.074%) $3000 for a $280k property... though there is no state income tax.

My only issue is govt accountability and Tinubu getting a cut from all these transactions.

Oga, most property in Lagos are overvalued.

2 Likes

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by obajoey(m): 4:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
Amen.
Enemyofpeace:
me too in Jesus name
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by olaboy1: 4:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
OBAGADAFFI:

Overvaluation is all over the major cities in the world. Property tax around Europe is 0.75%, so Lagos is a good deal.
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by obonujoker(m): 4:04pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:

I know you are a party faithful, buh know this one day all. these things you people are doing will come to an end... keep supporting evil because your party is in power,...

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 15, 2018
obajoey:
bros we dey same shoe o. Nasu strike delayed me. I don use bribe collect my transcript yesterday only for dem to call off strike
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:
At the end of the day people must pay if they want good infrastructure. 50% and 25% reduction is a good bargain.

Nigerians like Awoof too much. The property owners with their exorbitant rents will be the first to convert their Naira to dollar and go on shopping spree abroad buying expensive Balenciaga, Gucci etc with high tax.

But to pay tax at home na wahala.

The reduction explained is not explicit enough or it is just to deceive people. The government can also explained tha there are other charges. Our property valued up till last year at 11.4M attracted LUC of 14.5K up till last year. They gave us two years fine for not paying for two years last year which I paid. To avoid another fine, I went to LUC office at Alausa to collect the bill for 2018. Behold, they gave us =N=99,650.89. This is almost 700% increment.

I screamed, I was directed to pay 50% of the charge & then write to the Commissioner of Finance for leniency.That was on 5th March 2018. On the 6th March, 2018, I paid 53% to make it round figure through the GTB mini branch at Alausa Secretariat. I wrote the Commissioner of Finance & submitted the letter on the 7th of March. You see everything is pre - calculated, our category is owner & third party occupier which got 25% relief. This means, despite paying 50% (about 350% of 2017 LUC), The state still expect us to pay more. This is unacceptable. Moreover, our property was valued at 11.4M up till last year. This year, it is now valued at =N=39,078,779.25 with 2018 LUC of 99,650.89. Because we paid 50%, they now assume 75% is an ideal charge. Mr Ashade & Ambode, we are all malam, it is whoever is caught that is a barawo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by iaatmguy(m): 4:07pm On Mar 15, 2018
stevecantrell:

Haha..talk as if Ambode is the problem. APC is the problem.
a politician spotted
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by williams1000(m): 4:08pm On Mar 15, 2018
Don't miss this opportunity call and get yours now
My number 09036058219

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by Ijaya123: 4:08pm On Mar 15, 2018
mybestlove:
I't is still too much. In Europe, taxes on houses are based on square metres occupied (size) and not market value. What are your bases of valuation. This is just to destroy Lagos property business.

Ambode is a greedy Sherlock.

His main target is the Ibo business men who are developing Lagos for him.

Nigerians have been taken for fools; just raise it up when they lament then, cut it small they'll accept and pay.

Very very soon, businesses are going out of Lagos.

Which part of Lagos are they developing please?
Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by manny4life(m): 4:10pm On Mar 15, 2018
OBAGADAFFI:

They're not overvalued, they're just overpriced. If we're to use proper valuation, most of those homes do not measure up to their counterparts in various world cities. This is why the homes used as an example was supposedly valued a N539 million, when you ask them how they came up with the value, I can bet you they have no clue.. But that's the "supposed" price of the home, not it's actual value.

1 Like

Re: See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge by manny4life(m): 4:13pm On Mar 15, 2018
olaboy1:

Overvaluation is all over the major cities in the world. Property tax around Europe is 0.75%, so Lagos is a good deal.

The tax itself is not the question, it's how you LASG came up with the value. I can bet you if the house used as an example was valued at N53.9 million instead of N539 million, both values will have a different tax liability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Our Landlord Is Torturing Us / Agents And Landlords Exploit House Seekers In Lagos / Flooding About To Collapse A House In Imo As Woman Cries For Ihedioha’s Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.