Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign (1534 Views)

Hard Times To Hit Nigerian Illegal Immigrants In The UK / Victor Eni Won Borough Council Seat, UK Election 2015(pic) / 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 01, 2010

EX-CABINET minister Hazel Blears dealt Labour another election blow last night as she admitted using an illegal immigrant on her campaign team.

Nigerian Rhoda Sulaimon has been knocking on doors alongside the MP in Salford, Gtr Manchester, to help defend a 7,945 majority.

But The Sun can reveal she is in Britain illegally and faces deportation.

Single mum Rhoda volunteered to work for Mrs Blears in the hope it might help her remain in Britain, it was claimed.

The revelation will heap fresh embarrassment on party chiefs already on the rack over their open-door immigration policy following Gordon Brown's Rochdale "bigot" jibe.

Last night a Labour campaign source said: "Rhoda has been working voluntarily for Hazel Blears in the hope it might help her case.

"She doesn't want to go back to Nigeria and is desperate to stay here. She's been helping out for weeks at the local campaign office and has been out with Hazel when she meets people and goes out leafleting."

Rhoda came to Britain on a student visa five years ago but overstayed after having her daughter, now four.

Home Office immigration officials served her notice on April 16 that she had 30 days to report for deportation - an order imposed only after all appeals have been exhausted.

But yesterday she was still working at Mrs Blears' Labour campaign office.

Last night the former Cabinet minister, who quit the Government last summer following the MPs' expenses scandal, said she had instructed Rhoda to leave.

She said: "I want to thank The Sun very much indeed for bringing this important matter to my attention. Well done to The Sun.

"I had absolutely no personal knowledge about the situation whatsoever and in fact I'd never met this woman until she walked off the street to volunteer to stuff a few envelopes about three weeks ago. I certainly do not, and never have, condoned illegal immigration.

"If you check my record in the various posts I've held, I've cracked down hard on immigration. In terms of this woman Rhoda, I have instructed her to leave the campaign, and she has gone." Last night Mrs Blears said she had informed the Border Agency after learning that the party worker should have left Britain years ago.

She added: "She told me at about 2pm today. I told her that if she didn't have any right to be here she should go. She was upset. I'm concerned she may go underground or leave her accommodation. I have therefore contacted the Border Agency and spoken to the chief immigration officer.

"I've told her she should go back to Nigeria voluntarily and I want the process speeded up so she can go back as quickly as possible."

Rhoda, who is understood to live on benefits in a council flat, refused to comment.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/election2010/2955609/Hazel-Blears-campaign-worker-is-an-illegal-immigrant.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Election+2010#ixzz0mgOsZ6Eb
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by funkybaby(f): 2:16pm On May 01, 2010
She is illegal
Lives in a council flat
Claims benefit
And works (voluntarily) for a political party

Some people get mind sha.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by funkybaby(f): 2:18pm On May 01, 2010
Mr. Ogbeni

Why did you delete your post?

Se ko si?
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 01, 2010
funkybaby:

Mr. Ogbeni

Why did you delete your post?

Se ko si?

Adjustments to article
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 01, 2010
deleted.

I have deleted this article as my conscience does not feel it is right to add more misery to a fellow Nigerian in dire circumstances.

Thanks
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by justwise(m): 2:29pm On May 01, 2010
frosbel:

deleted.

I have deleted this article as my conscience does not feel it is right to add more misery to a fellow Nigerian in dire circumstances.

Thanks

Your title said 10 Nigerians but what i read in sun and bbc website is ONE Nigerian lady, her pic is even there.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by funkybaby(f): 2:30pm On May 01, 2010
@justwise
Well said!!!

I don't know which yeye privacy that he is protecting. News that is
everywhere . . . Tv,
newspaper, Internet,
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by justwise(m): 2:31pm On May 01, 2010
funkybaby:

She is illegal
Lives in a council flat
Claims benefit

And works (voluntarily) for a political party

Some people get mind sha.

I thought as much, a student having a baby and overstaying her visa, i guess somebody gave her that advice and she foolishly went along with it.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by justwise(m): 2:33pm On May 01, 2010
funkybaby:

@justwise
Well said!!!

I[b] don't know which yeye privacy that he is protecting. News that is
everywhere . . . Tv,
newspaper, Internet[/b],
Exactly!!! there is nothing like privacy here, this the link and her pic here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/election2010/2955609/Hazel-Blears-campaign-worker-is-an-illegal-immigrant.html
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 2:34pm On May 01, 2010
funkybaby:

@justwise
Well said!!!

I don't know which yeye privacy that he is protecting. News that is
everywhere . . . Tv,
newspaper, Internet,

Was not aware it was also on TV and other multiple sources.

Article readded.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by funkybaby(f): 2:36pm On May 01, 2010
True. And (un)fortunately for her, the kid is only 4yrs. Except her babypoppa is British, I do not see how her and her baby will escape deportation.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by justwise(m): 2:43pm On May 01, 2010
funkybaby:

True. And (un)fortunately for her, the kid is only 4yrs. Except her babypoppa is British, I do not see how her and her baby will escape deportation.

That is the problem, i have a friend here who did the same thing, she got preg b4 her graduation, luckly for her the babydady is british passport holder, the baby was given british passport last month and she will be applying for hers soon.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 01, 2010
Its never worth it, staying beyond your visa date.

The UK is not heaven and you run the risk of never seeing your family ever again except you decide to leave for good.

There have been honourable people who despite their desire to stay still go home, come back in a few months time and maybe start some business.

When they (UK Immigration ) notice your integrity they trust you more and are more likely to help you in difficult circumstances.

Many Nigerians in the UK who came illegally are stuck here for good.

Not nice at all.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by monkeyleg: 9:33pm On May 01, 2010
You guys should be measured in your response.

The Sun newspaper backs the Conservatives, and are likely to dig up any dirt against Labour. This poor Nigerian girl is just being used in a stupid political fight. So please see things in the right context.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by adconline(m): 10:11pm On May 01, 2010
nothing wrong in hustling for your future, but bringing another person (baby) into your already complicated circumstance in order to help your cause is what I'd not like to do. maybe she could get legalized if her candidate wins.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by redsun(m): 10:17pm On May 01, 2010
The sun newspaper is like fox news (kkk) cable channel in america,owned by the same stiff necked autralian redneck,who doesn't believe in the universal freedom of the masses.

They treat ordinary rational hard up human beings like terrorist,they lady is way more useful and sane than average uk citizen,if given the chance,she won't be on benefit.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by prettyG: 10:24pm On May 01, 2010
Sun. Mirror, Telegraph, same thing.
Re: Uk Election :Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Found Helping Former Minster Campaign by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 02, 2010
prettyG:

Sun. Mirror, Telegraph, same thing.

Sun has always been labour for the past decade but now switched to the tories
Telegraph consistently = conservative
Daily mirror= Labour

(1) (Reply)

Pdp Chieftain Kidnapped, Murdered In Rivers State / Cult Clash Kills 10 In Edo / I Hate Jarus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.