Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) (4365 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fulani Herdsmen Can't Try This Rubbish In The East / Should Nigeria Sue Sony Entertainment For This Rubbish. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by BlackRevo: 2:48pm On May 01, 2010
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and telecom operators have expressed optimism over the commencement of the Sim card registration from May 1.

In a telephone interview with NEXT, Reuben Muoka the spokesperson for the commission said, “Any new sim card bought subsequently from May 1, 2010 must be registered for life.”

The commission announced in December that the sim card registration is part of efforts to curb crime in the country, but the exercise will, however, begin with new sim cards purchased by new subscribers.

Mr. Muoka explained that the registration will be done online, adding that “operators are expected to put all machinery in motion for the commencement of the process. We suspect that they will sell what is called partially activated lines, whereby, you may get a line but can only receive calls or Short Message Service (SMS) but not able to make calls or send texts. So, you must now go to a particular place where you will have your sim registered before you can begin to enjoy these services,” said Mr. Muoka.

MTN is ready

In an email response to NEXT, Funmilayo Omogbenigun, the General Manager, Communications, MTN Nigeria said, “Yes, MTN Nigeria is ready to commence its Sim cards registration come May 1, 2010. We have installed equipment that captures bio-metric and demographic data.”

Ms. Omogbenigun noted that the registration exercise will not affect the prices of Sim cards in the market.

Registration requirements

However, there are some basic requirements from new subscribers to ensure a successful exercise.

Visafone Nigeria explained, “We need to capture subscriber’s name, phone number, address, digital photo and biometrics (thumb & index finger print). These are the specific requirements needed from the subscriber at no cost to ensure the smooth flow of the process.”

Existing subscribers

The Communications Commission, the industry regulator said it will handle the registration of the active subscribers sims estimated in excess of 70 million, even as it has not yet decided on the commencement date.

“We hope to start within the next three months. The duration for the process will depend on when we start, because we need to review when we begin and know what kind of deadline is appropriate in this circumstance,” said Mr. Muoka.

Price Cap

Ahead of the Sim card registration, the commission has also announced the introduction of a price cap system for the benefit of subscribers.

Stephen Bello, the acting vice chairman of the commission, in a recent statement said, the regulator has developed a policy of price cap regulation, “where we give a price and the competition can make you to operate within this degree of freedom, but not beyond it.”

He argued that the measure became necessary to forestall a situation in which operators may “cooperate and try to maximize their profit”.

“Now we know for a fact that the number of lines has increased, there is economy of scale and you know that as you have advantages of economy of scale the unit price comes down. We believe that the competition in the industry will control prices,” added Mr. Bello.

Mr. Muoka expantiated, “In order to make tariff to come down further just as the interconnect rate came down last year, the expectation is that the retail price will also come down. In order to actually make it happen, we put a price cap that is, a price at which no operator will charge above.”

He, however said the price cap has not yet been determined, as such a judgment will be based on “the market situation, what the competition is, the interconnect rate and say no operators can charge above a certain amount. We are going to review it, get more data from the operators about their current rate and also do this in other services like SMS etc., before implementing.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5561882-147/story.csp
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by BlackRevo: 2:59pm On May 01, 2010
Data Protection Issues And The Legal Implications In Nigerian Communications Commission’s (NCC) Directive On Sim Card Registration

http://www.saharareporters.com/articles/external-contrib/5929-data-protection-issues-and-the-legal-implications-in-nigerian-communications-commissions-ncc-directive-on-sim-card-registration.html
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by violent(m): 3:14pm On May 01, 2010
And why should we say No?

We supply this kind of information {Passport, address, etc} at the banks before opening an account, the only addition is the finger print thingy, so why make a big fuss out of nothing.

Moreover, looking at the upside which clearly outweighs the downside, such information as fingerprint will definitely come handy towards tracking of criminals, kidnappers etc.
Hundreds of crime are committed on a daily basis with the perpetrators ignorantly leaving their fingerprint all over the place, it is only prudent that we have a database that can analyse such data and produce the criminals involved in a clear and concise manner.

Besides, it will also help to stem cases of fraud which has consistently been the bane of Nigerian's problems
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by ladi02(m): 3:17pm On May 01, 2010
I dont see why we should say No to this

it has its advantages and will be useful in future as well
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 01, 2010
How is this feasible when you can always buy your sim card on the street.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 01, 2010
WE MUST SAY NO. grin grin grin grin

MAKE THEM GO MEET OBASANJO SAY THEM ONE DO SIM REGISTRATION.

NIGERIA COMMUNICATION BAD I MEAN BAD INSTEAD OF FINDING SOLUTION NA SIM REGISTRATION THEM WAN THEY DO SO THAT GO USE AM FOR ELECTION

YOU NO GO UNDERSTAND SHA,
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 01, 2010
I can fake any information the service providers need. GSM is just like the internet, you can be very anonymous using data services not to talk of faking.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by ladi02(m): 3:42pm On May 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

How is this feasible when you can always buy your sim card on the street.

@bluetooth, the sims to be sold from today on the streets will only be able to receive calls and texts until you register it, before you can make calls with it
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by ladi02(m): 3:43pm On May 01, 2010
babaearly:

I can fake any information the service providers need. GSM is just like the internet, you can be very anonymous using data services not to talk of faking.

You cant fake a government ID, but even if you do, your finger print will be taken, so you better use the same name each time you register
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by kech(f): 3:44pm On May 01, 2010
The only people who'll say no to this are the Fraudsters. It's about time. In the U.S, your phone is tied to your WHOLE LIFE! Woe betide you if you commit a crime that somehow involves your phone number and they get hold of it. All these scammers in Naija that think that they can change numbers anyhow whenever they dupe someone will have to look for another avenue. But no be "dem say, dem say", Will they do it effectively? Cos I know our Naija leaders.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by kech(f): 3:48pm On May 01, 2010
ladi02:

You cant fake a government ID, but even if you do, your finger print will be taken, so you better use the same name each time you register

True that. That is why fingerprints are essential. You can fake your name but you can't fake your fingerprint. As long as your fingerprint is on record, they'll catch you if you try to play smart. Everyone's fingerprint is unique. No two are the same.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by keyremotes(m): 4:49pm On May 01, 2010
ONLY A SOMEONE WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE WILL SAY NO TO THIS.
IN FACT, IT IS LONG OVERDUE.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:34pm On May 01, 2010
The question is how does this affect the privacy of individuals, who has access to the information stored in the database? This would enable things such as sim cloning become a norm, why are these people doing busy body last I checked in the UK you can get a lebara sim without having to drop your finger prints no?
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by BlackRevo: 5:42pm On May 01, 2010
violent:

And why should we say No?

We supply this kind of information {Passport, address, etc} at the banks before opening an account, the only addition is the finger print thingy, so why make a big fuss out of nothing.

Moreover, looking at the upside which clearly outweighs the downside, such information as fingerprint will definitely come handy towards tracking of criminals, kidnappers etc.
Hundreds of crime are committed on a daily basis with the perpetrators ignorantly leaving their fingerprint all over the place, it is only prudent that we have a database that can analyse such data and produce the criminals involved in a clear and concise manner.

Besides, it will also help to stem cases of fraud which has consistently been the bane of Nigerian's problems

You should say no because you do not need a finger print submission to obtain a sim card even in the developed world and such biometric data are not to be left in the hands of private institutions. No one is against using finger print technology to fight crime but such data's are only left in the hands of government agencies and not a phone company please.

Hope you remember mossad dubai hit and i wonder what you guys will say when your data is used to commit such crimes.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:46pm On May 01, 2010
Black_Revo:

You should say no because you do not need a finger print submission to obtain a sim card even in the developed world and such biometric data are not to be left in the hands of private institutions. No one is against using finger print technology to fight crime but such data's are only left in the hands of government agencies and not a phone company please.

Hope you remember mossad dubai hit and i wonder what you guys will say when your data is used to commit such crimes.
No mind them jo, me I am not dropping my finger print for MTN or Glo or you can even imagine dropping your finger prints for an epileptic company like ZAIN. . . . . .TUFIAKWA!
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by BlackRevo: 6:02pm On May 01, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

No mind them jo, me I am not dropping my finger print for MTN or Glo or you can even imagine dropping your finger prints for an epileptic company like ZAIN. . . . . .TUFIAKWA!

Thank you my brother and imagine that zain or which company that changes owner all the time, wonder what the Chinese and arabs will do with such data's in their hands. With all the corruption going in this country i won't be surprised if insiders start selling peoples data to the highest bidder or crime gangs.

kech:

True that. That is why fingerprints are essential. You can fake your name but you can't fake your fingerprint. As long as your fingerprint is on record, they'll catch you if you try to play smart. Everyone's fingerprint is unique. No two are the same.

Please where in the world do they submit finger print data to obtain sim cards?  undecided   Its like you guys are missing the point, i am not saying finger print technology is not essential in fighting crime but it should not be in the hands of a phone company.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 01, 2010
ladi02:

@bluetooth, the sims to be sold from today on the streets will only be able to receive calls and texts until you register it, before you can make calls with it
so what happens to old lines?
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by BlackRevo: 6:09pm On May 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

so what happens to old lines?

They will start taking care of that at least three months from this day.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 01, 2010
Black_Revo:

They will start taking care of that at least three months from this day.
i don siddon dey look as event unfold
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by violent(m): 7:25pm On May 01, 2010

The fact that certain things don't happen in certain places does not necessarily stop us from forging ahead in our plans towards fighting crime and improving security.
The US and the UK already have an established database of fingerprints to analyse data with, we have absolutely nothing.

I believe such things can be adequately managed by the NCC in conjunction with different security arms of the government. Established procedures might be put in place to prevent private institutions from permanently holding on to such data on their systems.

Besides, fingerprint is absolutely for recognition, i doubt if it poses so much security risk as you suggest in your post, an Average Nigerian is willing to drop his/her biometric details at foreign embassies in a desperate bid to apply for visa, and if asked will even drop his DNA sampling. I see no reason why such individual should be worried about the government having his/her fingerprint on the system if in the long run it will help to reduce and fight crime in the country.

Just imagine how many cases would have been well investigated if we had such database, the murder of Bola Ige, kidnap cases, etc etc, and even the process will reduce the number of scam that are conducted via phones on a daily basis for which Nigerians have been associated with worldwide.

I bet half of Nigerians will be willing to drop their blood samples, brain matter samples, shít samples etc etc, if US is offering a free visa.

Finger print collection is only meant to clearly distinguish A from B
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by violent(m): 7:28pm On May 01, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

And if you drop your fingerprint for Zain, are they going to cut off your air supply with it?
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:03pm On May 01, 2010
violent:

And if you drop your fingerprint for Zain, are they going to cut off your air supply with it?
Omo just come to naija and see, very soon they will trace a call that will bring up your finger print when the next politician is dead. I have no qualms giving info to the police(even though they are silly too) but at least they are the only law I have. Come to naija and see, most people do not pay for internet subscription because they always find backdoors in the firewalls of all these so called network provider. Last year there was a scenario where you could just pick up any recharge card and keep loading it repeatedly and it worked. All these are the handwork of underpaid staff at their establishment. Na im you say make I give them all my details and tie myself to a phone number that can be cloned and used to perpetuate fraud eh? Thanks  grin you  grin well well  grin . Dont worry no be naija, you will hear the gist of how it all went down, how people would use monkey to do their own finger print.

Besides what stops the criminal from getting a sim from ghana and using in in naija?
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by myhouse: 9:38am On May 02, 2010
This nonsense can never work, shelve this rubbish till 2075
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 11:55am On May 02, 2010
Who are the posters kicking against this and then make reference to what developed countries are doing?

Blimey!

Can't we just do things that'll work for us?

For those worried about ID theft, finger prints will be taken. So if you supply fake details and documents you will be denied a SIM card.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by deor03(m): 12:24pm On May 02, 2010
Fraudsters are beginning to Fear.

Good news is that JUNK calls ( , "I am your uncle in London" type of calls.) will drop drastically.

NCC please Carry Go.
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 02, 2010
deor03:

Fraudsters are beginning to Fear.

Good news is that JUNK calls ( , "I am your uncle in London" type of calls.) will drop drastically.

NCC please Carry Go.
i laugh in london calls yep yep yep yep yep yep grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sim Card Registration Begins May 1 ( Please Say No To This Rubbish ) by keyremotes(m): 9:16pm On Aug 10, 2010
it's only in Nigeria people oppose any good thing planned to help reduce crime.

I am right now in Ghana and sim registration is in full effect here.

No matter where you buy your sim it MUST be registered before you can even load credit on it.

You must produce a valid national id. E.g. National identity, international passport, drivers licence, etc.

So how can someone give fake information?

They should hurry up and start here o jare.

(1) (Reply)

Comedian I Go Die Beaten To Pulp By Soldiers At Pdp Rally / Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status / The Real Story Of Nigeria (north, East And South)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.