Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father (14670 Views)

"Uma Ukpai Is My Spiritual Father”, Pastor Adeboye Declares / Why you don't need a spiritual father or mother!!! / Prophet Bernard Siam: Stop Calling Me Spiritual Father If You Don’t Pay Me Tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by cinoedhunter: 7:23pm On Mar 18, 2018
DaVinciii:

Sweetheart, I have many ‘fathers.’ I don’t know about you, but I have only one spiritual father and he is the almighty God, according to Jesus and the bible.
Hahahaha
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by kingdvd(m): 8:15pm On Mar 18, 2018
[b]Well said,
But our major problem is we do not know how to read the Bible and put it in the proper context for effective Christian life, that why all problems are around us (so called Christians) some even resort to die by fire, kill all witches, pray and die for all your enemies. i weep for our level of understanding of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Christ said Moses told you an eye for an eye, but i say love your enemies! Matt 5v44. Jesus' instructions and moses' which one should a Believer hold supreme? if Moses instructions supercede Christ. then you are practising Judaism not Christianity.
Now Jesus Told us call no man Father and someone is saying Elisha said this or that or Paul said this or that.
the Question is: Jesus' instruction and Apostle Paul's comment, which is the most valid?
Please Answer yourself.
There is no debate here at all. if you want to call people spiritual father or my Father, my father. you can continue, but the truth will try you someday[/b
]
[b][/b]
CharlieMaria:

1. To understand what Jesus meant, we have to review 5 consecutive verses, not just 1 as is done by those who distort the Sacred Words of the Lord Jesus. In Matthew 23:8-12, Jesus said, “But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, the one in Heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The great among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

When carefully examining the above verses, we see that Jesus did not only condemn the usage of the word “father,” but He also condemned the usage of the words “rabbi” and “instructors.” Why? It is because the Jewish leaders “loved to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market places, and to have people call them rabbi.” [Matthew 23:6-7] Jesus was condemning the Pharisees who were so full of pride, that they were doing all what was possible to achieve fame, success, rank. Their proud hearts were completely corrupt.

The Pharisees had elevated themselves above God as the ultimate authorities, as father image and teachers. Lacking humility, they failed to humbly look up to God as the source of all authority, fatherhood and teaching.

2. If we are to discontinue the usage of the word “father,” then we also have to discontinue using the word “doctor.” For “doctor” means a religious teacher, an adviser, a scholar, an instructor. The word doctor is Latin for the word “teacher.” It comes from doct-stem of docere which means “to show, teach,"

While it appears that Jesus condemned the usage of the word “teacher” in the above verses, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus appointed some men to be teachers of His Church. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” It can be concluded that Jesus was not condemning the usage of the word “father,” “teacher,” or “rabbi.” He was telling the Pharisees to humble themselves and to stop seeking those titles for themselves.

3. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, that means to deny every child in the world the right to make reference to his/her biological father. It means all the children will never be able to express that they love their father because such would be condemned.

4. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, then no one would have the right to speak of the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father would become meaningless since it would be forbidden to refer to Him. The concept of Divine fatherhood would be none existent.

5. In the New Testament, there are numerous reference to the usage of the word “father.” In Acts 7:2-4, Stephen refers to the ancestors of Abraham, the word “father” being used. In Philippians 2:22, Paul said, “But Timothy’s worth you know, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.” St. Paul refers to himself as a spiritual father in Philemon 10, “I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment.

Again, Saint Paul refers to himself as the father of believers in 1 Corinthians 4;14-15, “I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

The above biblical references to the word “father” are sufficient to show that Jesus was not forbidding everybody from using the word “father.”

CONCLUSION

Having proven that it is permitted to use the word “father,” let no one condemn you for making reference to your biological father, or to your spiritual father, your local priest, of even for making reference to the Holy Father, the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church on earth. Learn the above references and defend the Catholic faith for the glory of God.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 1:35pm On Mar 19, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

bullshyt. why is humanity so screwed then. his bloody religion kickstarted the screwing of the world process.

The condition of the world today is not God's fault. It is as a result of the wickedness of men.
Remember that Jesus loves you.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
unanonso:

The condition of the world today is not God's fault. It is as a result of the wickedness of men.
Remember that Jesus loves you.

jesus is dead.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by InansBobo(m): 8:00pm On Mar 19, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

jesus is dead.
here's a proof Jesus is alive because only he can do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjfAHGGzGcE
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 9:14am On Mar 20, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

jesus is dead.

Matthew 26:32 But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.

Matthew 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Matthew 28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:52pm On Mar 20, 2018
unanonso:

Matthew 26:32 But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.

Matthew 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Matthew 28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

dont quote me some bullshyts from some books. the bible is not a science textbook. its a fairytale book.

I can also quote you some shyts like that. e.g Snow white had 7 dwarf friends [Snow white 7:34]
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

dont quote me some bullshyts from some books. the bible is not a science textbook. its a fairytale book.

I can also quote you some shyts like that. e.g Snow white had 7 dwarf friends [Snow white 7:34]

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Jesus loves you still.

2 Likes

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
unanonso:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Jesus loves you still.

nonsense. my God is in my family shrine. not in some dumb israeli book written by men.

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 7:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

nonsense. my God is in my family shrine. not in some dumb israeli book written by men.

Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Isaiah 42:17 They shall be turned back, they shall be greatly ashamed, that trust in graven images, that say to the molten images, Ye are our gods.

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
unanonso:

Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Isaiah 42:17 They shall be turned back, they shall be greatly ashamed, that trust in graven images, that say to the molten images, Ye are our gods.

shut your mouth

because of maniacs like you our country is in pieces. religitards.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 7:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

shut your mouth

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

May the good Lord bless and keep you.

Jesus loves you.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
CharlieMaria:

Go read my post, I only referred to The Catholic Priesthood and not daddy Go. 2Pet1:20-21 "No prohecy of the scriptures is made by private interpretation " so you need to listen to the Church as I mentioned before for 1Tim3:15 says "The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. " Also Ephesians 3:10-11 explains that the Church is the teacher....so listen to the Church which was founded by Christ in Luke 22:32, Matthew 16:17-18 and John 21:15-17....Jesus eventually charged them to teach all nations in Mathew 28:19-20....Trace history and you will find that the Church is The Catholic Church...

If the Church Jesus founded is The Catholic Church, then you can kindly show me where apostle Peter, Paul John and James prayed "hail mary" and also thought their followers to do so.

Or you can kindly hold your peace and repent{ change your believe}.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by CharlieMaria(m): 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

If the Church Jesus founded is The Catholic Church, then you can kindly show me where apostle Peter, Paul John and James prayed "hail mary" and also thought their followers to do so.

Or you can kindly hold your peace and repent{ change your believe}.
Can you prove that the Hail Mary Prayer is wrong,? From the scriptures?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2018
CharlieMaria:

Can you prove that the Hail Mary Prayer is wrong,? From the scriptures?

Is it not clear from the scriptures how the early pillars of the Church that Jesus founded with His blood prayed? Which one of them whispered Mary in their prayer and greetings?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by CharlieMaria(m): 8:04pm On Mar 22, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Is it not clear from the scriptures how the early pillars of the Church that Jesus founded with His blood prayed? Which one of them whispered Mary in their prayer and greetings?

James 15:14-16 clearly explained how they prayed, that they prayed for one another.....So since Mary is a member of the Church and the holiest member after Our Lord Jesus Christ, why can't she pray for me and her prayers avail much for me?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2018
CharlieMaria:

James 15:14-16 clearly explained how they prayed, that they prayed for one another.....So since Mary is a member of the Church and the holiest member after Our Lord Jesus Christ, why can't she pray for me and her prayers avail much for me?

You are trying so hard to defend the indefensible. They prayed 'for' one another in the name of the LORD and not pray 'to' one another.

Tell me is the Catholic faithful's praying "for" Mary or praying "to" Mary?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by CharlieMaria(m): 9:17pm On Mar 22, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

You are trying so hard to defend the indefensible. They prayed 'for' one another in the name of the LORD and not pray 'to' one another.

Tell me is the Catholic faithful's praying "for" Mary or praying "to" Mary?
Can you explain what happened in Jeremiah 42:2-3, why did they pray to Jeremiah there? Study your scriptures well
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by bloodofthelamb(m): 10:47am On Mar 23, 2018
CharlieMaria:

Can you explain what happened in Jeremiah 42:2-3, why did they pray to Jeremiah there? Study your scriptures well

I have made the truth known to you... The truth shall be your judge. You can keep searching the scriptures to find something to justify your heresy and idolatry.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by revontuli(f): 11:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

shut your mouth

Know what, the religious zealot parts of the US of A are also in pieces. There is a cult called the Christian Scientists, living in the stone age, they refuse all medical care and their region has 3rd world infant death rates.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by CharlieMaria(m): 4:07am On Mar 24, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

I have made the truth known to you... The truth shall be your judge. You can keep searching the scriptures to find something to justify your heresy and idolatry.
The guilty are afraid.....Perhaps you must have looked up Jer42:2-3 and found out that it condemns your claims and you now try to divert attention by name calling and unfounded lies.... Face the reality brother, self deception is the worst thing one can do to oneself..... Recap: Jer42:2-3 "And they said to Jeremiah, Let our supplications fall before there and pray thou for us, to the Lord Thy God, for all these remnants for we are left but a few of many as thy eyes do behold us.. " imagine what they prayed to or through Jeremiah... When I Say to Mary pray for me a sinner or pray for us sinners, I say something far less to her than what they told Jeremiah I this passage.... So what then is wrong praying through Mary, when people have done similar or more things to Jeremiah before?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:26am On Mar 24, 2018
CharlieMaria:

The guilty are afraid.....Perhaps you must have looked up Jer42:2-3 and found out that it condemns your claims and you now try to divert attention by name calling and unfounded lies.... Face the reality brother, self deception is the worst thing one can do to oneself..... Recap: Jer42:2-3 "And they said to Jeremiah, Let our supplications fall before there and pray thou for us, to the Lord Thy God, for all these remnants for we are left but a few of many as thy eyes do behold us.. " imagine what they prayed to or through Jeremiah... When I Say to Mary pray for me a sinner or pray for us sinners, I say something far less to her than what they told Jeremiah I this passage.... So what then is wrong praying through Mary, when people have done similar or more things to Jeremiah before?

Then again I ask, which of the apostle of Jesus prayed through Mary or any other person aside the blessed Jesus the Son of God?

A new way to God has been opened.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Stallion93(m): 7:59am On Mar 24, 2018
revontuli:

Know what, the religious zealot parts of the US of A are also in pieces. There is a cult called the Christian Scientists, living in the stone age, they refuse all medical care and their region has 3rd world infant death rates.
The church of Scientology u mean? With Tom cruise and Jon Travolta as Prominent members.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 24, 2018
AgamaHub:
A lot of peeps mis- interpret the Holy Grail Ask for understanding and you shall receive. Bless you. This Guy below nailed it...

Charliemaria

He did a nice work in his writeup. But what I want to offer is that Jesus was condemning religious titles among his disciples. That will create superiority, even class distinction among his disciples. They should know, that among the sheep no one is superior. all are equal - brothers. No one should be titled father, Rabbi, even that would condemn using the word pastor as a title. In that light, the op's advise is still in order.

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Mar 24, 2021
GoodBoi1:
I don't just understand the feeling, I don't feel comfortable addressing Pastors and their wives as Daddy, Father, Mummy, Papa, Mama. I prefer to consider them as Pastors, Spiritual guides/adviser/leaders, mentors.
That is still wrong by the standard that is set for you by Jesus Christ.

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
10. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.
11. The greatest among you shall be your servant.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
And He has set no leaders, guides, advisers, mentors over you from among His followers

Matthew 20 vs 24-28 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24. The other ten followers heard this and were angry with the two brothers.
25. So Jesus called the followers together. He said, “You know that the rulers of the non-Jewish people love to show their power over the people. And their important leaders love to use all their authority over the people.
26. But it should not be that way with you. Whoever wants to be your leader must be your servant.
27. Whoever wants to be first must serve the rest of you like a slave.
28. Do as I did: The Son of Man did not come for people to serve him. He came to serve others and to give his life to save many people.”
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2021
AgamaHub:
A lot of peeps mis- interpret the Holy Grail Ask for understanding and you shall receive. Bless you. This Guy below nailed it...

I am afraid you guy you quoted got it wrong. Jesus Christ's teaching to the laymen of His time, that no special interpretation is necessary to understand the meaning of what He commands you

25. So Jesus called the followers together. He said, “You know that the rulers of the non-Jewish people love to show their power over the people. And their important leaders love to use all their authority over the people.
26. But it should not be that way with you. Whoever wants to be your leader must be your servant.
28. Do as I did: The Son of Man did not come for people to serve him. He came to serve others and to give his life to save many people.”

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Mar 24, 2021
CharlieMaria:

1. To understand what Jesus meant, we have to review 5 consecutive verses, not just 1 as is done by those who distort the Sacred Words of the Lord Jesus. In Matthew 23:8-12, Jesus said, “But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, the one in Heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The great among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

When carefully examining the above verses, we see that Jesus did not only condemn the usage of the word “father,” but He also condemned the usage of the words “rabbi” and “instructors.” Why? It is because the Jewish leaders “loved to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market places, and to have people call them rabbi.” [Matthew 23:6-7] Jesus was condemning the Pharisees who were so full of pride, that they were doing all what was possible to achieve fame, success, rank. Their proud hearts were completely corrupt.

The Pharisees had elevated themselves above God as the ultimate authorities, as father image and teachers. Lacking humility, they failed to humbly look up to God as the source of all authority, fatherhood and teaching.

2. If we are to discontinue the usage of the word “father,” then we also have to discontinue using the word “doctor.” For “doctor” means a religious teacher, an adviser, a scholar, an instructor. The word doctor is Latin for the word “teacher.” It comes from doct-stem of docere which means “to show, teach,"

While it appears that Jesus condemned the usage of the word “teacher” in the above verses, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus appointed some men to be teachers of His Church. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” It can be concluded that Jesus was not condemning the usage of the word “father,” “teacher,” or “rabbi.” He was telling the Pharisees to humble themselves and to stop seeking those titles for themselves.

3. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, that means to deny every child in the world the right to make reference to his/her biological father. It means all the children will never be able to express that they love their father because such would be condemned.

4. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, then no one would have the right to speak of the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father would become meaningless since it would be forbidden to refer to Him. The concept of Divine fatherhood would be none existent.

5. In the New Testament, there are numerous reference to the usage of the word “father.” In Acts 7:2-4, Stephen refers to the ancestors of Abraham, the word “father” being used. In Philippians 2:22, Paul said, “But Timothy’s worth you know, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.” St. Paul refers to himself as a spiritual father in Philemon 10, “I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment.

Again, Saint Paul refers to himself as the father of believers in 1 Corinthians 4;14-15, “I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

The above biblical references to the word “father” are sufficient to show that Jesus was not forbidding everybody from using the word “father.”

CONCLUSION

Having proven that it is permitted to use the word “father,” let no one condemn you for making reference to your biological father, or to your spiritual father, your local priest, of even for making reference to the Holy Father, the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church on earth. Learn the above references and defend the Catholic faith for the glory of God.
Jesus Christ warned against doctrines and traditions of men, which He declared were lies that instead heaped curses on those who perpetrated them and on those who ate them up.

The teachings of Jesus Christ was taught to uneducated fisherman and poor folk in His time. The same teachings do not need any "special interpretation" to be understood who can read

Here the same Jesus Christ commands His followers against occupying positions of power or leadership over their fellow followers. This backs His teaching which is referenced by the OP which commands against calling any man father, as far as the Kingdom of God is concerned. undecided

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
Jesus Christ Himself, through His own example, taught us that as far as His Kingdom is concerned, there is only one Father

Matthew 12 vs 46-50 (ERV)
46. While Jesus was talking to the people, his mother and brothers stood outside. They wanted to talk to him.
47. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are waiting for you outside. They want to talk to you.”

48. Jesus answered, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
49. Then he pointed to his followers and said, “See! These people are my mother and my brothers.
50. Yes, anyone who does what my Father in heaven wants is my true brother and sister and mother.”
Every other person is anything but ...
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2021
0monnak0da:

So Jesus was just jiving
He did not mean it?
Jesus Christ is the Truth of God. Ofcourse He meant what He said.

Matthew 12 vs 46-50 (ERV)
46. While Jesus was talking to the people, his mother and brothers stood outside. They wanted to talk to him.
47. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are waiting for you outside. They want to talk to you.”

48. Jesus answered, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
49. Then he pointed to his followers and said, “See! These people are my mother and my brothers.
50. Yes, anyone who does what my Father in heaven wants is my true brother and sister and mother.”

Even He taught through His example in their Kingdom, there is only one Father.... and everyone else is not it.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Mar 24, 2021
Acehart:

Not my spiritual father, my spiritual father!

What you quoted was a popular metaphor in Israel exclaimed by Elisha and Joash meaning "My father, the real strength and power of Israel against its foes".

Paul and John never referred to themselves as spiritual fathers but used the word 'father' in the sense of father in the faith (as an endearment). Though the mod quotes the verse without considering the context - which will mislead many people in my view. Nevertheless, our only father in the spirit is Christ Jesus.
As far as God and the Kingdom of God is concerned, there is only one Father and as Jesus Christ said, No man should be called "Father" where the Kingdom of God is concerned.

That said, what Paul and John did were against what Jesus Christ commanded. undecided
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by farem: 7:50pm On Mar 24, 2021
DaVinciii:
“And don’t address anyone here on Earth as ‘Father’ because only God in heaven is your spiritual father.” - Matthew 23:9 (NIV)

These words were said by Jesus himself. Next time you hear someone call aany human being ‘spiritual father,’ question the person.

You are operating from the spirit of bitterness, envy and frustration!
If not you would have quoted the next verse.

Matthew 23:9-10 (KJV) And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Neither be ye called masters (teachers) : for one is your Master even Christ.

I ask you: do you address anyone as your teacher? Then you are also guilty!
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Mar 24, 2021
farem:
You are operating from the spirit of bitterness, envy and frustration!
If not you would have quoted the next verse.

Matthew 23:9-10 (KJV) And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Neither be ye called masters (teachers) : for one is your Master even Christ.

I ask you: do you address anyone as your teacher? Then you are also guilty!
Um... shocked These teachings are in reference to the Kingdom of God and God Himself. So, according to Jesus Christ, you are not to, in His name or anything that has to do with Him, call anyone on earth Father, Teacher, Rabbie, etc...

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
10. Neither be called instructors(Teachers), for you have one instructor(Teacher), the Christ.
... because according to Jesus Christ, You have only Father, and He is in Heaven. And as for Teacher, He alone is Teacher/Counselor /Guide /Helper /Comforter to all those who belong in His Kingdom. And the above commandments is conforms with God's declaration through Jeremiah as far as His New Covenant is concerned(see below)

Jeremiah 31 vs 31-34 (ERV)
31. “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32. not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord.
33. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
God announced that in His New Covenant, He alone will teach His people of Himself.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2021
imstrong1:
And what becomes of some of our sister denominations that the title is already official.. You must call them by that.. even if he is your grandson cool
In the Kingdom of God, which you are called to be a part of when you become a believer in Jesus Christ, you are commanded against anyone who knows you as part of the Kingdom of God your Father or even your Teacher, because you have only one Father in Heaven and only one Teacher in the person of Jesus Christ. undecided
That is God's commandment to all those who claim to belong to His Kingdom of God. Disobedience is sin against God, against the commandments of Jesus Christ, the New Covenant. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obasanjo Introduced Corruption Into The Church -primate Ayodele Slams OBJ / Benny Hinn In Lagos! (Videos) / Kumuyi Seeks Support For Church’s Plan To Check Unemployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.