Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father (14656 Views)

"Uma Ukpai Is My Spiritual Father”, Pastor Adeboye Declares / Why you don't need a spiritual father or mother!!! / Prophet Bernard Siam: Stop Calling Me Spiritual Father If You Don’t Pay Me Tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by jamboloun: 10:50am On Mar 18, 2018
AgamaHub:
A lot of peeps mis- interpret the Holy Grail Ask for understanding and you shall receive. Bless you. This Guy below nailed it...

nice one
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by StaffofOrayan(m): 10:52am On Mar 18, 2018
The Catholic church/Brotherhood of Jesus(Jesuits) replaced our idols and gave us theirs, even though God is specific about idols! This cult has murdered more souls than any other genocidal group in the history of humanity, they have given the world more homosexuals/pedophiles and psychopaths than any other, a lot of people watched the movie 'October 1st' by Kunle Afolayan but have no clue what he is talking about.

USA
''...The U.S. Catholic church has incurred nearly $4 billion in costs related to the priest sex abuse crisis during the past 65 years, according to an extensive NCR....''
https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/ncr-research-costs-sex-abuse-crisis-us-church-underestimated

AUSTRALIA
''.....The Catholic Church has paid more than $276 million in claims to thousands of victims of child sexual abuse, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has heard...'' Lots of similar examples from country to country!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

DO NOT DEFEND THE CATHOLIC FAITH! THINK ABOUT THE INNOCENT CHILDREN, DEFEND HUMANITY, DEFEND THE GOOD BOOK

CharlieMaria:

1. To understand what Jesus meant, we have to review 5 consecutive verses, not just 1 as is done by those who distort the Sacred Words of the Lord Jesus. In Matthew 23:8-12, Jesus said, “But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, the one in Heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The great among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

When carefully examining the above verses, we see that Jesus did not only condemn the usage of the word “father,” but He also condemned the usage of the words “rabbi” and “instructors.” Why? It is because the Jewish leaders “loved to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market places, and to have people call them rabbi.” [Matthew 23:6-7] Jesus was condemning the Pharisees who were so full of pride, that they were doing all what was possible to achieve fame, success, rank. Their proud hearts were completely corrupt.

The Pharisees had elevated themselves above God as the ultimate authorities, as father image and teachers. Lacking humility, they failed to humbly look up to God as the source of all authority, fatherhood and teaching.

2. If we are to discontinue the usage of the word “father,” then we also have to discontinue using the word “doctor.” For “doctor” means a religious teacher, an adviser, a scholar, an instructor. The word doctor is Latin for the word “teacher.” It comes from doct-stem of docere which means “to show, teach,"

While it appears that Jesus condemned the usage of the word “teacher” in the above verses, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus appointed some men to be teachers of His Church. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” It can be concluded that Jesus was not condemning the usage of the word “father,” “teacher,” or “rabbi.” He was telling the Pharisees to humble themselves and to stop seeking those titles for themselves.

3. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, that means to deny every child in the world the right to make reference to his/her biological father. It means all the children will never be able to express that they love their father because such would be condemned.

4. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, then no one would have the right to speak of the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father would become meaningless since it would be forbidden to refer to Him. The concept of Divine fatherhood would be none existent.

5. In the New Testament, there are numerous reference to the usage of the word “father.” In Acts 7:2-4, Stephen refers to the ancestors of Abraham, the word “father” being used. In Philippians 2:22, Paul said, “But Timothy’s worth you know, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.” St. Paul refers to himself as a spiritual father in Philemon 10, “I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment.

Again, Saint Paul refers to himself as the father of believers in 1 Corinthians 4;14-15, “I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

The above biblical references to the word “father” are sufficient to show that Jesus was not forbidding everybody from using the word “father.”

CONCLUSION

Having proven that it is permitted to use the word “father,” let no one condemn you for making reference to your biological father, or to your spiritual father, your local priest, of even for making reference to the Holy Father, the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church on earth. Learn the above references and defend the Catholic faith for the glory of God.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:55am On Mar 18, 2018
Edelweiss44:

God of Adeboye or God of Oyedepo is no different from saying "God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" as used in the bible several times. As long as Adeboye or Oyedepo serves the true God.

You are mistaken.

God called Himself God of Abraham because of the covenant between them which God reaffirmed to his son (Isaac) and which was majorly fulfilled though Isaac's son (Jacob who became Israel and is widely referred to as the Patriarch of the Israelites). It was God's way of reminding the people of His promise to Abraham, one of which, was the Promised Land.

Aside that, Elisha called on the God of Elijah not as a practice but because he had not developed the courage to personally call on God.

And there was also the case of Nebuchadnezzar who called God "God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego" because he didn't know the name of God.

As for believers in Jesus Christ, we shouldn't be saying "God of Oyedepo...". We know our God and we don't need to attach human names to Him. We are to pray only by one name, the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is only by this name that the devil can go on his knees and we can be victorious.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Lovine: 10:59am On Mar 18, 2018
It is only correct if you call someone that converts you to Christ your father in the Lord, not 'spiritual Father'. All the so called 'Spiritual Father' today is borne out of foolishness.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Lovine: 11:03am On Mar 18, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

You are mistaken.

God called Himself God of Abraham because of the covenant between them which God reaffirmed to his son (Isaac) and which was majorly fulfilled though Isaac's son (Jacob who became Israel and is widely referred to as the Patriarch of the Israelites). It was God's way of reminding the people of His promise to Abraham, one of which, was the Promised Land.

Aside that, Elisha called on the God of Elijah not as a practice but because he had not developed the courage to personally call on God.

And there was also the case of Nebuchadnezzar who called God "God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego" because he didn't know the name of God.

As for believers in Jesus Christ, we shouldn't be saying "God of Oyedepo...". We know our God and we don't need to attach human names to Him. We are to pray only by one name, the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is only by this name that the devil can go on his knees and we can be victorious.

Nothing wrong about it. God of Abraham, God Isaac, God of Jacob, etc
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:07am On Mar 18, 2018
CharlieMaria:

1. To understand what Jesus meant, we have to review 5 consecutive verses, not just 1 as is done by those who distort the Sacred Words of the Lord Jesus. In Matthew 23:8-12, Jesus said, “But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, the one in Heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The great among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

When carefully examining the above verses, we see that Jesus did not only condemn the usage of the word “father,” but He also condemned the usage of the words “rabbi” and “instructors.” Why? It is because the Jewish leaders “loved to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market places, and to have people call them rabbi.” [Matthew 23:6-7] Jesus was condemning the Pharisees who were so full of pride, that they were doing all what was possible to achieve fame, success, rank. Their proud hearts were completely corrupt.

The Pharisees had elevated themselves above God as the ultimate authorities, as father image and teachers. Lacking humility, they failed to humbly look up to God as the source of all authority, fatherhood and teaching.

2. If we are to discontinue the usage of the word “father,” then we also have to discontinue using the word “doctor.” For “doctor” means a religious teacher, an adviser, a scholar, an instructor. The word doctor is Latin for the word “teacher.” It comes from doct-stem of docere which means “to show, teach,"

While it appears that Jesus condemned the usage of the word “teacher” in the above verses, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus appointed some men to be teachers of His Church. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” It can be concluded that Jesus was not condemning the usage of the word “father,” “teacher,” or “rabbi.” He was telling the Pharisees to humble themselves and to stop seeking those titles for themselves.

3. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, that means to deny every child in the world the right to make reference to his/her biological father. It means all the children will never be able to express that they love their father because such would be condemned.

4. If we are to condemn the usage of the word father, then no one would have the right to speak of the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father would become meaningless since it would be forbidden to refer to Him. The concept of Divine fatherhood would be none existent.

5. In the New Testament, there are numerous reference to the usage of the word “father.” In Acts 7:2-4, Stephen refers to the ancestors of Abraham, the word “father” being used. In Philippians 2:22, Paul said, “But Timothy’s worth you know, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.” St. Paul refers to himself as a spiritual father in Philemon 10, “I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment.

Again, Saint Paul refers to himself as the father of believers in 1 Corinthians 4;14-15, “I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

The above biblical references to the word “father” are sufficient to show that Jesus was not forbidding everybody from using the word “father.”

CONCLUSION

Having proven that it is permitted to use the word “father,” let no one condemn you for making reference to your biological father, or to your spiritual father, your local priest, of even for making reference to the Holy Father, the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church on earth. Learn the above references and defend the Catholic faith for the glory of God.

Poorly written and full of perverted verses.

There is a difference between "father" in its ordinary sense, whether it is biological or cultural, and "spiritual father" which is anti-scriptural. The concept of spiritual father usurps Christ's spiritual father role.

When Paul referred to himself as "father", he did so culturally and not spiritually.

I call a lot of people "father" and yet, they are not my biological father. I call them so because we share a father-son relationship. Perhaps, you might want to read up on the father-son relationship that existed between Paul and Timothy.

Christ is not against calling people "father" but against calling people "spiritual father".

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:10am On Mar 18, 2018
InansBobo:
in your wildest imagination that Christianity would die in Nigeria.
The earth (including Nigeria) is the Lord's and the fullness thereof.

That Lord is not a jew. In Nigeria the GODS reign supreme!
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:10am On Mar 18, 2018
Edelweiss44:

He is the owner of your life, before whom you will stand for judgement the moment your life on earth is over for Him to decide if you spend eternity in heaven or hell based on your relationship with him while you were alive on earth.

Secondly, He is not your mate, but you don't know it now. Stephen Hawking didn't believe a week ago, but now he is screaming in torment and wishing Jesus would give him just 1 minute to come back to earth and repent, then die again so he can go to heaven .

The owner of my life is my mom so shut up and go scare some two yr old kids. not a grown as.s adult like me
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by StarBukola(f): 11:12am On Mar 18, 2018
adem30:

That's what irritate me most. Praying in the name of one Pastors God.

This same issue almost ruined TOPE ALABI career. She was used to calling on "Olorun Ajanaku" And when this same Pastor called Ajanaku died, Ogboni people claimed he is their member and buried him
God will save us all
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:13am On Mar 18, 2018
Lovine:

Nothing wrong about it. God of Abraham, God Isaac, God of Jacob, etc

It is wrong.

Aside God, every other person who attached human names to God did so because they had not developed the courage to call God personally (Elisha) and because they had to use names to distinguish one god from another (Nebuchadnezzar).

But a believer can call on the one name that supersedes other names and that name is Jesus Christ. We are not like Elisha who was still unsure and we are not like Nebuchadnezzar who used people's names to distinguish God from his own gods.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Monaco2(m): 11:16am On Mar 18, 2018
DaVinciii:
“And don’t address anyone here on Earth as ‘Father’ because only God in heaven is your spiritual father.” - Matthew 23:9 (NIV)

These words were said by Jesus himself. Next time you hear someone call any human being ‘spiritual father,’ question the person.

What about father in the Lord?!?
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by cinoedhunter: 11:16am On Mar 18, 2018
StarBukola:
U r right,luv.
I hope u know not only did they say that but almost said 'God of this !God of that!( referring to earthly pastors)
So are you saying ppl like Elijah, Elisha , David and Samuel that call God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are wrong ? sad angry
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by cinoedhunter: 11:18am On Mar 18, 2018
DaVinciii:
“And don’t address anyone here on Earth as ‘Father’ because only God in heaven is your spiritual father.” - Matthew 23:9 (NIV)

These words were said by Jesus himself. Next time you hear someone call any human being ‘spiritual father,’ question the person.
Sweethrt u don't understand the word father then.... even African settings, u don't have only one father .... wink
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by StarBukola(f): 11:25am On Mar 18, 2018
cinoedhunter:

So are you saying ppl like Elijah, Elisha , David and Samuel that call God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are wrong ? sad angry
don't forget God called himself God of Abraham. But let me ask ,r all the earthly pastor serving the living God (Jehovah). So tell me how do you know which is serving the living God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:27am On Mar 18, 2018
Lovine:
It is only correct if you call someone that converts you to Christ your father in the Lord , not 'spiritual Father'. All the so called 'Spiritual Father' today is borne out of foolishness.

Not always and quite very unnecessary, but I will not touch on why it is unnecessary.

However, you must understand that it was not Paul that converted Timothy and so the words I highlighted in your post are faulty and thus unreliable.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by cinoedhunter: 11:35am On Mar 18, 2018
StarBukola:
don't forget God called himself God of Abraham. But let me ask ,r all the earthly pastor serving the living God (Jehovah). So tell me how do you know which is serving the living God
Now we're coming to a conclusion... personally I feel if u're uncomfortable with it , don't do it. You must not attach any person name but we shouldn't criticize ppl that do it too... every person perspective and level of faith is different...
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Dnaz(m): 11:35am On Mar 18, 2018
CharlieMaria:

CONCLUSION

Also Apostle John called some Christains Fathers

13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father.
1 John 2:13

14 I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
1 John 2:14

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by StarBukola(f): 11:39am On Mar 18, 2018
cinoedhunter:

Now we're coming to a conclusion... personally I feel if u're uncomfortable with it , don't do it. You must not attach any person name but we shouldn't criticize ppl that do it too... every person perspective and level of faith is different...
I wouldn't dare to criticize anyone. cool

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by cinoedhunter: 11:46am On Mar 18, 2018
StarBukola:
I wouldn't dare to criticize anyone. cool
Here in the west, I hear that a lot ... I don't even know d pastors they are calling
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 18, 2018
AgamaHub:
A lot of peeps mis- interpret the Holy Grail Ask for understanding and you shall receive. Bless you. This Guy below nailed it...

Just Stop calling ur fellow human beings spiritual father.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by linkszelda: 12:08pm On Mar 18, 2018
Edelweiss44:

God of Adeboye or God of Oyedepo is no different from saying "God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" as used in the bible several times. As long as Adeboye or Oyedepo serves the true God.

how can you compare real prophets that where ordained by GOD and mentioned in the bible with oyedepo and adeboye who are gods of men.... the last time i checked, i didn't see oyedepo and adeboye in my bible. they are just two business men i hear and read about in the news. from your last sentence, yourself is not even sure if they serve the true GOD

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by DaVinciii(m): 12:16pm On Mar 18, 2018
cinoedhunter:

Sweethrt u don't understand the word father then.... even African settings, u don't have only one father .... wink
Sweetheart, I have many ‘fathers.’ I don’t know about you, but I have only one spiritual father and he is the almighty God, according to Jesus and the bible.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by HoodBillionaire: 12:51pm On Mar 18, 2018
winners
redeemed
christ embassy
and d likes wont like this
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by mencer(m): 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2018
You don't lift statements from Scriptures like that
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Nodogragra4me(m): 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2018
Cekpo34:
grin
Daddy G.O. must hear this

Nah.... The cathedral church must not hear this seems better.... Preacher in the Catholic Church are called father...Rev father...and there are some that are called Holy ghost father and the rest

1 Like

Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Nodogragra4me(m): 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
winners
redeemed
christ embassy
and d likes wont like this

Neither will the Catholic Church
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by ijeomaleah: 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
Plssssssss tell them oooooooo only one and only spiritual father ; who is the creator and owner of the universe gbam !
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Cekpo34(m): 3:09pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nodogragra4me:

Nah.... The cathedral church must not hear this seems better.... Preacher in the Catholic Church are called father...Rev father...and there are some that are called Holy ghost father and the rest

You're very correct.... Just that the former is kinda too conspicuous grin
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by adem30: 3:42pm On Mar 18, 2018
Edelweiss44:

And can you find that in the new testament? That's the impact of death of Christ
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by Edelweiss44: 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
adem30:

And can you find that in the new testament? That's the impact of death of Christ

Oga, the God of the Old testament is still the same God of the new testament. He has not changed! In fact, in the new testament, we are told that we have now become spiritual children of Abraham when we come to Christ. That's why we sing "Abraham's blessings are mine...."
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by unanonso(m): 5:34pm On Mar 18, 2018
PAGAN9JA:
jesus sucks. who the hell is he? that tithe extortionist.

Jesus is the Saviour of the the world. He gave his life to save humanity. And He loves you so much.
Re: You Disobey Jesus Whenever You Say Someone Is Your Spiritual Father by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
unanonso:

Jesus is the Saviour of the the world. He gave his life to save humanity. And He loves you so much.

bullshyt. why is humanity so screwed then. his bloody religion kickstarted the screwing of the world process.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ex-theists/atheists, How Did You View Atheists When You Were A Theist? / Obasanjo Introduced Corruption Into The Church -primate Ayodele Slams OBJ / Benny Hinn In Lagos! (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.