Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Music Talent Is Meant To Influence The Society Positively - Kingland - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Music Talent Is Meant To Influence The Society Positively - Kingland (303 Views)

Nursing Mother Caught With AK47 Meant For An Operation In Ogun (Photo) / Refuse Dump Truck Spotted Selling Expired Drink Meant To Be Disposed To Hawkers / Nneka Obazee: Lesbian Meant To Be Deported To Nigeria Tries To Commit Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music Talent Is Meant To Influence The Society Positively - Kingland by OrientDailyNews: 10:09pm On Mar 22, 2018
Recently Justin Ezeani a.k.a Justin KingLand a Nigerian dancehall, reggae artiste based in Malaysia was conferred with an honourary award as a Change Ambassador by Youth Education and Leadership Initiative International, YELI. O’star Eze of Orient Daily was able to get an exclusive interview with the artiste cum philanthropist on Whatsapp messenger during which he shared his thoughts on the purpose of music talent how to be successful as a musician and what he thinks is still lacking in Nigerian music industry.

What do you think earned you this award?

The honour according to the organisers was in recognition of my role as a change ambassador, promoting global peace; supporting human, spiritual, physical, social and educational development across the African continent. It was a Lifetime Achievement Award alongside a certificate of honorary membership by the Youth Education and Leadership Initiative (YELI).
I was actually absent on the day of the event, but then my certificates, ID Card etc were sent to me by courier

Would you like to outline some of the works you have done in these areas?

I carry out visitation of the newly born babies and their mothers every February 14 at Achimota Hospital Accra Ghana since 2016 till date, under my foundation; JKL Foundation. This was what led the Ghana Health Service honour us with a recognition award for our good services just last month, two days before YELI awards came in. We also normally organise peace music tours during which we feed the hungry and hold free health screening for hundreds of people. We have a culture of visiting the orphanages both in Malaysia, Nigeria and Ghana and have provided teaching and learning aids, chairs and cash donation to schools in Anambra State; Aguleri and Anam precisely. We have been providing shelter for the homeless, creating jobs for the youths through our enterprise; 4real records and 4real TV and many others too numerous to mention. And the society at large has been showing me appreciation with many awards and recognitions. For instance, I have been nominated for 2018 International African achievers awards that will be held in Accra Ghana on the 5th of May.

How would you describe yourself; a successful musician or a successful business man or both and why?

I'm not there yet, and have been encountering lots of challenges but I thank the Most High God that I am able to get where I am today by His Grace. I am working harder and devoted to constant and never ending improvement in every facet of my life and career. I am creative, spiritual, and entrepreneurial in nature. I believe that I am where I am today because I don't compare myself with others, I am me and I am not in any competition rather I'm on a mission.

My life is that of servitude, selflessly giving to others. Even when I don't have much, I share the little I have with those around me. I pray for others and can bring myself low for others to climb up. I am not a saint but I am always conscious of and guided by the presence of God in all I do.

In all, helping others in any way I can is what I consider my calling. The greatest help is when you do it without expecting anything in return. My favourite prayer point is, “God use me to help others and use me to bring glory to Yourself.”

Is there any particular message you seek to pass through your music or you just go any direction the inspiration leads?

It all depends on how the spirit leads me. Sometimes it is all about life and what life has in stock for us. Other times I sound emotional and talk about the things that surround us; my passion, politics, personal experiences with friends, family and life itself. I do sing about love and more importantly, gospel mostly praise songs; thanking God for everything.

When did you discover you were a musician?

The music was in me right from when I was 8 years old. But I got into music professionally in 2006. I developed my talent in music by keeping it real to myself. Like I always say, it is not a competition but a mission. I do not copy any person but I stay real to my creativity, originality, doing good music and avoiding indecent words or odd languages. I always keep my music positive and I am always conscious of the message I pass in my lyrics.

So there was no formal training like going to music school and all that?

Music is a universal language. I study music within my comfort zone, but have had no formal class apart from my own personal training every day. It comes naturally.

What would you say was your major break in your music career?

My major breakthrough was when I was invited to the United States of America by Fourth Quarter Entertainment, Florida, USA. At first, when I received their e-mail, I thought it was a junk mail but the positive spirit in me pushed me to respond to their mail which I did and at last it turned out to be genuine. I spent two years in the USA and established my own record label after my contract with them ended. That move alone took me far. I was showcased on Time Warner cable during a Monday One on One show with Jerry Russo and it was aired on TV in 23 states in USA. I have been on one on one listening session with Shalik Berry of Def Jam Records. The outcome of my meeting with Def Jam paved way for me in various ways during my stay in the USA, and earned me a digital distribution deal to over 100 digital stores across the globe. Since then, I have performed on the same stage with Rita Marley, Ziggy Marley and Damian Marley. I have featured some world legends in dance hall and reggae, such as Sizzla Kalonji in my track, ‘Work Hard’ and Elephant Man in ‘Dance Floor’. The songs can be purchased on iTunes, e-music, CD baby and various Digital distribution stores on-line.

I have served as the vice president of Nigeria Promoters Association in Malaysia and under my leadership, all the top performing artistes and stand up comedians held successful shows in Malaysia. From DBanj to Banky W, Wizkid, Olu Maintain, 9ice, Terry G, Timaya, TuFace Idibia, Clarence Peters, Ill Bliss, Shina Peters, Mr Ibu, I go die, and many others. I currently have an ultramodern digital recording studio and digital TV known as 4real Records and 4real TV in Ghana. However, the headquarters of 4real records is still at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

What is your music genre?

I am a dancehall/ reggae artiste with my own creation which I call Afro/Asia and Ghetto Gospel.

Would you say that your philanthropic culture helped give you favour in your music career or was it after you became successful that you became a philanthropist?

I started serving and helping people when I was 8 years old. I don't encourage others to do the same but I will confess this; when I was nine years old, I stole from my dad to aid a very poor family repair their leaking roof and start petty trading for the old woman of the family. So my philanthropy is inborn, even my community where I come from will tell you. Also the music aspect of it is innate. I am doing good music not just as an artist but as a musician by profession. However, I believe that when God wants to bless you as a musician or even in any aspect of life, He first makes you a giver.

What do you think is still missing in the Nigerian Music Industry?

That is a good question. I have observed that the competition in the industry is highly over rated. There is no love among the musicians and those at the top of the ladder do not want to see others come up. It is all about money and forming cliques to frustrate the efforts of upcoming artistes. Our musicians need to reverse from this attitude and understand that they were given the talent to influence their society positively. They should also be more accommodating. I have had bitter experiences trying to feature Nigerian top stars in my music despite how far I have gone. This is because their agents put money first without considering other more sublime benefits such collaborations would have.

Who would you say is your role model in music and in life?

While I was growing up, I used to enjoy listening to the likes of Bob Marley, Daniel Wilson, Sizzla Kalonji, Culture, Ras Kimono, Shaggy, and many others. These great musicians have impacted positively on my music. My role models in life are people like Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, my dad and mum.

SOURCE: https://orientdailynews.com.ng/interviews/music-talent-given-influence-society/

cc: lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Ghana Police Arrests 10 Nigerian Yahoo Boys / Man Kills Uncle Over Advise Against Alcohol / The Man Who Can Solve Nigeria Security Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.