Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom (17410 Views)

Eziagu Festival Of Heritage Records Impressive Cultural Exhibitions, Masquerades / Onitsha Ofala Festival Of Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off- PICTURES / 2017 National Festival Of Arts And Culture (Live Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by Efewestern: 5:41pm On Mar 26, 2018
koning:

I don't like the tone of your response. Nevertheless, you are entitled to your opinion. My comment was based on Wikipedia's info about the Okpara people. According to Wikipedia, they hold the same meaning, even if pronounced differently.

There are many dialects of the Igbo language. If Igboid tribes can be located in as far away as Southern Cameroun and Equatorial Guinea, I do not see any reason why they cannot be found in our backyard of Urhobo clan . It is too much of an 'accident' to name an entire community 'Okpara' with exactly the same meaning as 'Okpara' in Igboland.

You use the moniker "Igboid". Do you really understand what 'Igboid; means.

First of all Urhobo is not a CLAN, URHOHO are major ethnic group in Southern Nigeria with a population of about 5million people. They are as popular as Igbos and Yoruba.

Secondly Okpara doesn't mean FIRST SON in urhobo language, First son in urhobo is Omo'share'okpako, OKPARA was the name of a man who founded the community , also in Urhobo language we answer some names like OLOROGUN , OMO, OLOMU, MAJEMITE, which are also Yoruba words, OKPARA is an urhobo word imported into your language due to proximity.

Thirdly our only sister tribe in Nigeria are Isoko , Edo & Itsekiri, the rest ethnic groups are unrelated to Urhobo, igbo inclusive.

Lastly, Sharing a particular name doesn't mean they are member of your ethnic group , AGBON are unique urhobo people who are not in any way related to you , never was and never will.

1 Like

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by fratermathy(m): 5:47pm On Mar 26, 2018
bibe:

You are the one contradicting yourself. The initial commenter stated that Okpara means first son, same as I commented, but when replying you said Okpara doesn't mean first born. No one mentioned first born initially but you.

However, that not withstanding, Okpara means first son and also translates first born (by synonym in the case of sons only). In igboland, it's also born by people as a name (surname in almost all cases) in other words when you refer to a male as first born among sons in Igboland he is automatically termed as the Okpara.

Hope that clears things up.

The initial commenter was not clear. Okpara does not mean first born in Urhobo. Okpara was the name of a man who happened to be the first born of Agbon, as much as other communities have first borns with various other names. Even Okpara's own first born was Eregbe, not the titular Okpara that you Igbos use. No one goes around calling first borns Okpara in Urhoboland.

The name is derived from Okpare, the name of another place in Olomu. The origin of the name has nothing to do with Igbo and its meaning bears no similarity with Igbo. I wonder why you didn't claim that Agbon is derived from Agbor. I was waiting for that.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by Igboid: 5:51pm On Mar 26, 2018
OKPARA is an urhobo word imported into your language due to proximity.

Now, this here exactly, is why I'm mad with Igbos that brought Ndiigbo into a topic that had nothing whatsoever to do with us.

1 Like

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by bibe(m): 10:01pm On Mar 26, 2018
fratermathy:

The initial commenter was not clear. Okpara does not mean first born in Urhobo. Okpara was the name of a man who happened to be the first born of Agbon, as much as other communities have first borns with various other names. Even Okpara's own first born was Eregbe, not the titular Okpara that you Igbos use. No one goes around calling first borns Okpara in Urhoboland.

The name is derived from Okpare, the name of another place in Olomu. The origin of the name has nothing to do with Igbo and its meaning bears no similarity with Igbo. I wonder why you didn't claim that Agbon is derived from Agbor. I was waiting for that.

The wiki article on Agbon literally stated Okpara to mean first son (as attributed to Okpara in the Agbon article). If he happened to the first born of Agbon who birthed him? I'm only asking this out of curiosity. The Okpara name ascribed to first sons in Igboland isn't their actual names just like Ada is the name ascribed to first daughters (and in some loose terms, daughters) in Igboland but is not anyone's actual names (apart from use in abbreviations)

Don't you think it begs a lot of questions if it was delivered from Okpare as you said but didn't stick with its root word #okpare and curiously still translates as first son according to the wiki article.

My point is there might be more than you know, you only need to be open and research a bit more. We all came from somewhere.

As for claiming Agbon was derived from Agbor there's no need for that as there's no proof for that so stating that will be playing mischief. As a rule of thumb, it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by fratermathy(m): 10:24pm On Mar 26, 2018
bibe:

The wiki article on Agbon literally stated Okpara to mean first son (as attributed to Okpara in the Agbon article). If he happened to the first born of Agbon who birthed him? I'm only asking this out of curiosity. The Okpara name ascribed to first sons in Igboland isn't their actual names just like Ada is the name ascribed to first daughters (and in some loose terms, daughters) in Igboland but is not anyone's actual names (apart from use in abbreviations)

Don't you think it begs a lot of questions if it was delivered from Okpare as you said but didn't stick with its root word #okpare and curiously still translates as first son according to the wiki article.

My point is there might be more than you know, you only need to be open and research a bit more. We all came from somewhere.

As for claiming Agbon was derived from Agbor there's no need for that as there's no proof for that so stating that will be playing mischief. As a rule of thumb, it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

I have read that Wikipedia page and NOWHERE was it started that Okpara means First Son! Why are you lying? Prove me wrong by posting the page where Okpara is categorically referred to as a name that means "first son"! Mind you, if you edited or intend to edit the page, there are logs that will reveal that and revert to the original state of the article.

Okpara is a FIRST SON. The name doesn't mean first son and it is not a title given to first sons. Okpare in Olomu dialect of Urhobo translates to Okpara in Agbon dialect. Dialectal differences account for whatever morphological changes occurred with the word.

I won't repeat myself on this matter again. If, after this, you still wallow in your ignorant state, then suit yourself. Those who matter know better. Okpara and Igbo have NOTHING in common whatsoever! We came from Edo and that's it!

1 Like

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by fratermathy(m): 10:30pm On Mar 26, 2018
@Bibe:

To further unearth your deep ignorance of Urhobo, I have attached a screenshot of the page you quickly mention to substantiate the fact that Okpara means first son. Okpara is mentioned 5 times in the page and this is the only one remotely related to what you may have seen.

The image clearly puts "first son" in brackets after Okpara in order to indicate that Okpara (as a person) was the first son of Agbon. The name does not mean first son. The second son, Kokori (or Ohwokori) does not mean second son. Eku does not mean third son. These are all names of persons who were fathered by Agbon (and Agbon does not mean father).

Better think logically for your own good. People with your mental faculty are easily deceived!

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by bibe(m): 10:37pm On Mar 26, 2018
fratermathy:

I have read that Wikipedia page and NOWHERE was it started that Okpara means First Son! Why are you lying? Prove me wrong by posting the page where Okpara is categorically referred to as a name that means "first son"! Mind you, if you edited or intend to edit the page, there are logs that will reveal that and revert to the original state of the article.

Okpara is a FIRST SON. The name doesn't mean first son and it is not a title given to first sons. Okpare in Olomu dialect of Urhobo translates to Okpara in Agbon dialect. Dialectal differences account for whatever morphological changes occurred with the word.

I won't repeat myself on this matter again. If, after this, you still wallow in your ignorant state, then suit yourself. Those who matter know better. Okpara and Igbo have NOTHING in common whatsoever! We came from Edo and that's it!

And you just affirmed that Okpara is a first son. Isn't that what we've been saying since? I never said it's a title given to first sons but a name ascribed to them in general sense.

Secondly can you enlighten me what Okpare stands for in Olomu dialect. I want to learn in case you are wondering.

Thirdly just out of curiosity, who birthed Okpara? #just asking... Cheers.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by bibe(m): 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2018
fratermathy:
@Bibe:

To further unearth your deep ignorance of Urhobo, I have attached a screenshot of the page you quickly mention to substantiate the fact that Okpara means first son. Okpara is mentioned 5 times in the page and this is the only one remotely related to what you may have seen.

The image clearly puts "first son" in brackets after Okpara in order to indicate that Okpara (as a person) was the first son of Agbon. The name does not mean first son. The second son, Kokori (or Ohwokori) does not mean second son. Eku does not mean third son. These are all names of persons who were fathered by Agbon (and Agbon does not mean father).

Better think logically for your own good. People with your mental faculty are easily deceived!

Why condescend to insults? We are having a discuss aren't we?

I left a couple of questions for you on the matter.

Cheers.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by fratermathy(m): 11:02pm On Mar 26, 2018
bibe:

And you just affirmed that Okpara is a first son. Isn't that what we've been saying since? I never said it's a title given to first sons but a name ascribed to them in general sense.

Secondly can you enlighten me what Okpare stands for in Olomu dialect. I want to learn in case you are wondering.

Thirdly just out of curiosity, who birthed Okpara? #just asking... Cheers.

That's not what we've been saying. You have been adamant that Okpara means first son in Urhobo and I've expressed it severally that Okpara is just the name of someone who happens to be the first son of Agbon (if you were honestly interested in knowing anything, you wouldn't have asked who birthed Okpara after it has been stated severally here).

Okpare is an ancient Urhobo name, just like Okpara. In my view, the nearest cognates for these words would be Okpa has come (Okpa-re) and Okpa has gone or ran (Okpa-ra). This means that Okpa may have been a character whose stay and departure in Olomu inflected his name. It is also possible that Okpa may mean something else entirely. However, in any way we look at it, Okpara/Okpare has nothing to do with the Igbo Okpara, which is pronounced differently and means different things. There are several of such words in the complex of Edo, Yoruba, Itsekiri and Urhobo.

1 Like

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by fratermathy(m): 11:02pm On Mar 26, 2018
bibe:

Why condescend to insults? We are having a discuss aren't we?

I left a couple of questions for you on the matter.

Cheers.

Condescend? I was never on a high pedestal with you from the moment you threw logic into the wind and engaged in what would be a futile banter.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by bibe(m): 11:06pm On Mar 26, 2018
fratermathy:

Condescend? I was never on a high pedestal with you from the moment you threw logic into the wind and engaged in what would be a futile banter.

Banter? I guess that's all it was for you then.

Cheers.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by MrBigiman: 3:15am On Mar 27, 2018
From Okpara, to Isiokolo, to Kokori and to Orhoakpor, those towns remain the most backward, retrogressive and non productive Urhobo Town. Ufuoma which is minutes away from That town can boast of Yoma hotel, Mama-B bar and sign of life. Ethiope East excluding Abraka, cannot boast of a single relaxation spot. Instead they behead innocent strangers. Judgement awaits all of you if u don't repent!
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by Efewestern: 5:32am On Mar 27, 2018
MrBigiman:
From Okpara, to Isiokolo, to Kokori and to Orhoakpor, those towns remain the most backward, retrogressive and non productive Urhobo Town. Ufuoma which is minutes away from That town can boast of Yoma hotel, Mama-B bar and sign of life. Ethiope East excluding Abraka, cannot boast of a single relaxation spot. Instead they behead innocent strangers. Judgement awaits all of you if u don't repent!

Hahahaha. Okon you better tell us your beef with Agbon people, all your comments are just negative, did any of our lady break your heart? lol.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by MrBigiman: 11:13am On Mar 27, 2018
Efewestern:

Hahahaha. Okon you better tell us your beef with Agbon people, all your comments are just negative, did any of our lady break your heart? lol.

Really sorry about my comments. Wasn't in the best of moods yesterday. I Regret my words and I withdraw them. Every tribe has the right to exist without being unduly judged. Well done bro. Have a great day.

2 Likes

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by OlaoChi: 12:04pm On Mar 27, 2018
Eke40seven:

We are saying ALMOST same thing though...

I understand that they might be Urhobo linguistically and culturally, � but you can't take out the influence of ancestral contacts, migration and assimilation. I don't know who assimilated who..
It's a shame we don't have written histories to reveal these interesting connections.
In my grandmother's home town, we have Ndi Okereke, and "Ndi Okpara" apparently..
You can't take away the influence of proximity and mixing. At the end of the day, it shows that we are all brothers.

Even without written histories we can still know these things because many histories were recorded in traditional ways
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by darfay: 3:54pm On Mar 30, 2020
Odingo1:

Okpara (mean first son in Igbo)

Eni (mean elephant in Igbo)

Isiokpo (mean head)

Okereke

Edjenu ( mean all of Tallness in Igbo)

It's very possible they had igbo/ukwani elements (assimilate) in time past. Their oral history said they migrated from isoko land through ukwani areas. Some isoko villages and settlement close to ukwani areas have Igbo names that means nothing in isoko language but are purely isoko speaking with little or no Igbo elements left such settlement were obviously founded by ukwani people

Eni means elephant in all urhobo and isoko dialects. There is an urhobo town called evreni (elephant town). I'm not really sure if the word eni was borrowed

As for the masquerade, it is possible it was introduced by early ukwani co-founders/settlers as masquerade is rare in urhobo and isoko cultures . Plus your interpretation of the meaning and it's description checks out. However it is it is an entirely urhobo town as of present

Okpara means first child or so in Igbo while it's equivalent is okpako in urhobo/isoko
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by OruExpress: 4:39am On Apr 01, 2020
Why are you calling Agbor people Agbon, lol. Nigeria.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by OruExpress: 4:42am On Apr 01, 2020
darfay:

It's very possible they had igbo/ukwani elements (assimilate) in time past. Their oral history said they migrated from isoko land through ukwani areas. Some isoko villages and settlement close to ukwani areas have Igbo names that means nothing in isoko language but are purely isoko speaking with little or no Igbo elements left such settlement were obviously founded by ukwani people

Eni means elephant in all urhobo and isoko dialects. There is an urhobo town called evreni (elephant town). I'm not really sure if the word eni was borrowed

As for the masquerade, it is possible it was introduced by early ukwani co-founders/settlers as masquerade is rare in urhobo and isoko cultures . Plus your interpretation of the meaning and it's description checks out. However it is it is an entirely urhobo town as of present

Okpara means first child or so in Igbo while it's equivalent is okpako in urhobo/isoko

Agbor is Igbo. I know nigeria is a soup of historical ignorance (we are jews, we are egyptians, the bible is historical fact, the koran is historical fact, mungo park discovered by grandfather, there is a south and a south south etc, there is a tribe called 'rivers' etc)... Agbor is Igbo, as is Ukwuani.

Okpara is the eldest son of a family. This can be the nuclear family, or the kindred, both 'eldest sons' have the same title. The Okpara represents the kindred in congress, court and responsible for praying for the family every morning and taking care of the families spiritual properties like shrines etc.
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by darfay: 5:08am On Apr 01, 2020
OruExpress:

Agbor is Igbo. I know nigeria is a soup of historical ignorance (we are jews, we are egyptians, the bible is historical fact, the koran is historical fact, mungo park discovered by grandfather, there is a south and a south south etc, there is a tribe called 'rivers' etc)... Agbor is Igbo, as is Ukwuani.

Okpara is the eldest son of a family. This can be the nuclear family, or the kindred, both 'eldest sons' have the same title. The Okpara represents the kindred in congress, court and responsible for praying for the family every morning and taking care of the families spiritual properties like shrines etc.

I made no mention of Agbor in my post.please go through the entire thread to get proper knowledge of what is being discussed

3 Likes

Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by Efewestern: 2:03pm On Apr 01, 2020
OruExpress:

Oga, where did you see Agbor? what's the relationship between Agbon clan and Jews?
Re: The Edjenu Festival Of The Okpara People Of Agbon Kingdom by OshuaJo: 7:37pm On May 30, 2022
Please What's the meaning of Okpare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From The Procession Of Elehinle Festival In Okemesi, Ekiti State / Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.