Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,920 members, 7,821,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back (61319 Views)

How I Got My NAFDAC Number(my Personal Experience) / I Just Got My Inheritance; I Need Your Advice / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 9:09pm On Apr 01, 2018
I wrote a simple security post some days ago.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by IME1: 9:10pm On Apr 01, 2018
I heard similar wahala today on radio about an old generation bank.
Me I'm currently having one with IBTC but so far they seem to be cooperating.
This bank fraud thing na wa
Make we keep money for inside ground?
They said carrying and holding money is not safe now see bank? cry

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Makanjuismail(m): 9:10pm On Apr 01, 2018
It would have been nice if the fraudster's image, address and other details are made available since they can access all these details vide his BVN and possibly description of how the transfer was effected without you authorization. This will have reduced the number of fraudsters by one. We will also be better informed of how we can prevent such frauds within our space.

8 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by kenchop: 9:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
Thanks for this info
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Ukez15(m): 9:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
This story needs to trend...
I have shared it on all my social media platforms.
This is something affecting alot of people and we didn't have a clear cut solution till now

6 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Asour: 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:
So what happened to th3 fraudsters?
What if the criminals had emptied th3 account...would th3bank lose money paying back for what's not their fault?

I don't know if I'm high...but I don't really understand what I just read...

Perhaps with the Know your customer (KYC)and BVN initiatives, banks have virtually all they need to track transactions and the individuals behind transactions end to end.
Imagine that this individual transferred this amount to another account or worse still withdrew it in cash. It leaves a trail either of the receiving account(s) or the individual himself. How? Say the individual/swindler has a BVN number and he decides never to operate the account with which he swindled this sum into, the BVN is a Unique number that leaves a trail on all transactions one is involved with across all banks/ financial institutions and Identity records in the country.
so unless the banks aren't being forthright, The swindler would almost certainly be caught since he would at least be involved in an official financial transaction throughout his lifetime.

5 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by nenergy(m): 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:
What if the criminals had emptied th3 account...would th3bank lose money paying back for what's not their fault?

Me too! Imagine o...he lost his phone and didn't have the sense to call his Provider to block his line. Yet he went shouting at bank people.

We need to be security conscious!
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Tinyemeka(m): 9:15pm On Apr 01, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:

It's the responsibility of the account officer to the fraudster to produce the customer.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ifyalways(f): 9:16pm On Apr 01, 2018
The more reason people should Never give people they don't know and trust 100% their account details to use and receive and funds.

Tell your parents and siblings!!!

The owner of that access bank account might be a victim too. Ignorance is not an excuse.

14 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by SamuelTurner(m): 9:17pm On Apr 01, 2018
Those bank staffs are funny sometimes.
I remembered when I went to wema bank in sagamu to make some deposit, I got there around few mins after 2 and I was told that the network was bad due to the weather. I waited patiently till 25 mins after 3 and the funniest part was that the queue I am wasn't even moving at all so I walked to the cashier to inquire about what happened and the lady answered nonchalantly saying that shebi she don talk before say the network no good.
I was mused with her reaction but I just overlook it and. I glanced at the monitor and to my surprise, I saw nairaland homepage on the monitor. I was furious because she kept so many people on the queue and she was busy browsing under the excuse of bad network.

I just shaked my head and walked out of the banking hall.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by abbiboy: 9:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
Op thanks for the enlightenment,most Nigerians believe nothing from the govt works without taking a trial.my people in Nigeria perish due to ignorance, they don't know the right channel to forward there complaints. Information is power!!

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
Ishilove:
What I don't understand is how they got access to the OP's account via his BVN. Someone should please explain

no smoke without a fire.. its a kinda inside job..someone on the inside will make that available...those guys work in groups...

2 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by musicwriter(m): 9:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
When there's no synergy with the banks, the purpose of the BVN becomes useless. If you called them immediately the fraud was committed, all they needed do was alert access bank in same urgency and the fraudster won't have been able to withdraw one Kobo. You begin to wonder why soldiers were alerted in advance about oncoming terrorists in Dapchi, yet nothing was done by the military to prevent the kidnapping of students.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Emmybreezy(m): 9:19pm On Apr 01, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...
please I need to talk to you about this I was been scammed on Friday of #49k please your guideline will be needed to get my money back from this fraudulent act...I have been having sleepless night just because of this my number is 08168974454
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Zamad(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback
WE ARE NOT IN THE US

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Amos87(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:

I know there is a code you would type on your phone...and your BVN would appear. OP lost his phone.
Does it mean that they can wipe out all the money in my account with only the BVN? Someone should help
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ThatKING(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...

You Are The Real MVP
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Festy4u(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
[/quote]

Wow, @OP,...your story truly appeals to me cos I suffered similar faith in April, 2015 when about N600,000.00 was debited from my account. I was stunned! But I took a different approach as I involved the police and got info on how the money was transferred to Union bank. I got the phone number off the account and search for it on Whatsapp and found out that the user as been dormant for some while. I keep on checking until one day, after about a month or two, the guy finally appeared with an update on its Whatsapp page. I later found out that he was in one of the eastern state as the transfer supposed same. He later put picture id on its wall. I took the pic off his wall. He continually does change his profile pic until a time he gave an update of going back home to a SW state, which happens to be a state that his more easy to track people. I quickly put a girl on him so as to befriend him and get to monitor his move. I contacted some police on phone and sent them his pic and told them that I have put a girl on him. The girl chatted with him for a while and he later fell in love with her. I told her to convinced him that he wanted them to meet up of which he agreed and he later arranged a place of meeting. I told the police and they got mobilised and moved to the point of their intended meeting. The girl was talking with him on the phone and informing him of her arrival at the spot unknowing to him that it was the police officers that were at the spot. Only for him to appear at the spot dressed accordingly the way he told her he was dressed and was apprehended by the police. I had to travel to the SW state to pick him up and brought him down to the SS. We later settled after he was thoroughly beaten by the police. I have retrieved my money off the agreement we had. The remainder of money left should be the once I spent in mobilising the police and other expenses spent. It wasn't a good experience I must confess!!!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Tinyemeka(m): 9:22pm On Apr 01, 2018
ifyalways:
The more reason people should Never give people they don't know and trust 100% their account details to use and receive and funds.

Tell your parents and siblings!!!

The owner of that access bank account might be a victim too. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Uhmmm... True to an extent.

Some recipients may also be aware that something fishy has transpired in the transaction that resulted in an inflow to their account, but would still play along because of expectations of gratification. Not all are innocent.

P.S. The Access bank recipient is a female. undecided

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by drololaaof: 9:23pm On Apr 01, 2018
CBN CUSTOMER PROTECTION UNIT IS WORKING ,THE ADDRESS IS VERY IMPORTANT 11th FLOOR LAGOS OFFICE,BUT STATE OFFICES IS EASY TO ACCESS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by greggng: 9:24pm On Apr 01, 2018
good4all40:
Do they arrest the culprits and receive the money from them or the bank just make the sacrifice by sending you the money on their Own?

The bank will settle while they use every available means to track down the culprit.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:24pm On Apr 01, 2018
Shugarlord213:
Na Because you lose almost 400k now

Press like if you can’t go through all this stress if you lose common 20k grin

20k is not common cus some ppl salary be that oooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by andyanders: 9:24pm On Apr 01, 2018
vickzie:
what if the money had been withdrawn before the op made the complaint?
Note that the money has been withdrawn by the account owner who made the fraud.The bank will be liable if the money has been withdrawn by the account owner where the fraud passed through.

If you know your right, there is noway you can loose your money if money gets missing from your account. The bank should be liable since there must be an account where it entered to and also taken out. Since there is BVN, it will be very difficult for anybody to loose money through his account. The issue is that most commercial banks wouldn't want to take the blame hence they keep turning one up and down until you get frustrated.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Babisha10(m): 9:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
Do u want to also start?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by talk2dboss: 9:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
#OP

The same way you covered your email add and name in your post, PLEASE DO THE SAME THING FOR THE MAIL THAT WAS SENT TO YOU FROM CBN.

YOU JUST EXPOSED SOMEONES NAME, EMAIL and DEPT. Anyone can use those info to attack.

Please do the needful.

PROTECT OTHER PARTIES INVOLVED..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Neoteny(m): 9:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
The name of the Access Bank account holder is Tina James
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by kindredspirit(m): 9:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
It's still a headscratcher to me how thieves can steal money from someone's account using just their BVN. Is the BVN now a password or PIN that is used to complete mobile transfers or USSD transactions ?

The only transaction that one can execute without a PIN, as far as I know, is buying airtime on THE NUMBER REGISTERED on your bank account. For example GTB : *737*1000# will credit you straight away with #1000 worth of airtime on your number that is tied to your Bank account. To even buy airtime for 2nd party phone numbers, you will be required to type in your 4-digit PIN to complete the transaction.

6 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Lilijumes(f): 9:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback

U said in the US,.. I beg this occurred in Nigeria, Naija lawa oo no be US.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Xmen149(m): 9:31pm On Apr 01, 2018
i have heard that transactions made over pos are not traceable (according to banks). the latest now is they kidnap someone and use their atm card to do transfere via pos and thats all,.

is this traceable pls i have alot of friends who are victims but their banks let them down and they allowed the case fly
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by mixter(m): 9:32pm On Apr 01, 2018
Maybe one of the many ways to curb this is for banks to integrate their systems so as to allow finger prints or eye sensors as passwords as a means of making any form of transactions from phones, ATM systems or any form of transaction. Just a thought. If only we have a working government, the public should be enlightened .
Just a thought.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 01, 2018
Confused complainant; so why did he post the name of the CBN staff and her e-mail yet won't name the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 9:35pm On Apr 01, 2018
CriticMaestro:
Lemme get this straight
Is it that the person that stole your phone made that transaction and the bank helped u tracked him or was it a mistake done by the bank

Cc, Jeron1

The money was transferred by them

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bolu Akin-Olugbade's Rolls Royce Used For Decoration At His Service Of Songs / Sport Betting Project.. Turn 1000 To Over 1 Million Naira In 40 Days / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.