Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back (61321 Views)

How I Got My NAFDAC Number(my Personal Experience) / I Just Got My Inheritance; I Need Your Advice / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by tunjibadosnen: 5:38am On Apr 02, 2018
This is really interesting, most Nigeria banks need complete formatting for effective and efficient performance otherwise they are only good at making unnecessary deductions and unrealistic PBT which most times does not get to their shareholders. A won Ole Dede...
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:20am On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in myk life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...
I DONT really KNOW WHY U were REFUNDED, I guess u were lucky. Ur phone was stolen December 14th, a working day and u did not ask for ur account to be immediately blocked, u did not obtain a police report, u just carried on till u lost money abi?
My opinion is that u know someone who used his influence, either in ur bank or in CBN.
Cos this matter is very easy for the banks to go free. U really don't have a tight case.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:23am On Apr 02, 2018
delvinmaya:
Abeg I don't think no one can use your BVN to carry out transactions from your bank . The only plausible explanation is an insider.
my sentiments too. Probably why the bank refunded him
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:25am On Apr 02, 2018
xule20:

I think this is what they do, after getting ur bvn number through the normal *560...#, remember they have ur sim card right from there they'll be trying different banks code eg gtb *737# and likely complete the transaction with the last four bvn numbers.
there is no ussd service in any bank I know of that will enable u do a transaction above 20k without a PIN. So how did they get ur PIN?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:30am On Apr 02, 2018
Chidonc:

bro what they really need is ur sim card connected to your bvn, once that is gotten , they would proceed with the transaction cause OTP would be send to that particular number
now this is possible, reason why I wonder why the op did not block his line as soon as his phone got missing.
If I were the bank, he is a big joker, let's go to court. He will have to hire lawyers, the banks have lawyers and a legal dept on their payroll.
Nonsense.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:35am On Apr 02, 2018
maxjax:

but I thought that before an OTP is sent......one must have entered the right password initially
a very valid counter argument. I thought about this too but it seems u can do some careless transactions on the ATM that won't require card and PIN
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:37am On Apr 02, 2018
koolg:
I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure

This paragraph is not making sense. Sorry to say

Another question is
What if you are the one that connived with the thief by throwing away your phone for him to come and pick and withdraw the money?
Reason why I said that the OP really got no case
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Streetgent: 6:39am On Apr 02, 2018
sinaj:
Op you really a strong person
good to know U're close to my base,cutie,can we meet?just wanna know u beta.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by obstead200(m): 6:48am On Apr 02, 2018
johhnnie:

Just a call would even though. They will even beg you to collect it back and if you are smart, just sue them and vote psychological stress from the loss within that time frame and y could win a million dollars more if you have a good lawyer
story for the gods. Forget what u watch in Boston legal, suits etc. The US legal system is not designed to give any lazy sonofabitch undue advantage over others................. eerrrrm...........except women..........in cases bothering on sexual harassment....... Those laws are just not fair to men
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by opribo(m): 6:53am On Apr 02, 2018
Nigerians banks will just be releasing various e-banking products without adequate controls built around them or sufficient testing conducted, all in a bid to be seen as the first to lauch the product or a technocentric bank.

How on earth will a banking system authorise a transaction without sending an email or SMS confirmation code to the account owner for confirmation or allowing the account holder to enter his or her PING before authorisation. Standard security algorithm follows the 2 Factor authentication approach which is based on what you know
what you have
who you are.

Someone cannot have access into my account without my PIN. Any channel or application that allows that is fraudulent and the bank using such application is porous and as such must be boycotted by customers who value their precious savings.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 6:58am On Apr 02, 2018
1wolex85:
You just exposed the email address of the cbn staff
Emails like that should be public I guess! It's not her personal mail. Your business mail should be public if your organisation offers services to the public.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:01am On Apr 02, 2018
madridguy:
He has not done any harm to the CBN staff. She is a public servant and moreover that is her office mail and not personal email address.

Abi ooo!!!
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:07am On Apr 02, 2018
1wolex85:

Lol, have you heard about spamming and phishing? With your argument, they should simply publish the email addresses of all their staff.
Oga, those emails are public emails... I have a lot of GTB personal emails. Those mail are public. Talking about Spamming or Phishing, there's no damage that can be done to those emails.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2018
paroh137:

Bro please don't take this the wrong way, but your writing needs a lot of work. Narrative, grammar, structure, coherence, everything is just off.
Okay, like he claimed he studied English Language and Grammar Structuring in school! Of all the epistle narrated, you mean you were watching the grammars?

#Nigerias&Oversabi grin

5 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by blackfase(m): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2018
because Nigeria is the ultimate xoo.... :/

cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by amicable09(f): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2018
AndyCole16:

Hi amicable....our banker in the house. I read your experience with the one chance bus the other time. Hope you are better now? I have been looking for your moniker for like a month now but thank God I found it today. How is everything going?
cheesy
Hello Andy, thanks for asking, I'm a lot better now. I join my colleagues to and from work most of the time and some mornings when I'm unable to, I take a bus at Kilo bus stop. It's safer there (all thanks to the guy who advised that I do that on the thread).

Hope you're doing great too?
Enjoy your holding.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by blackfase(m): 7:16am On Apr 02, 2018
because Nigeria is the ultimate xoo.... :/

cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:16am On Apr 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

If my bank notices transactions that flags my known pattern then they will freeze my account and call me. I don't even have to do anything.
Tuale! Baba oooo!
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Pappikizuu(m): 7:24am On Apr 02, 2018
cityofindustry:

It's called chargeback

What is this one saying, didn’t u see there that the funds were removed immediately by those frauds, so who would credit the money within 24 hours Mtchewww.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:25am On Apr 02, 2018
koolg:
I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure

This paragraph is not making sense. Sorry to say

Another question is
What if you are the one that connived with the thief by throwing away your phone for him to come and pick and withdraw the money?

ehen

And he would still want to comman tell NLers?

What are you? CID, EFCC, STD, ICPC or TBC?

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Pappikizuu(m): 7:27am On Apr 02, 2018
amicable09:

This is not the chargeback you know. It is clearly a case of fraud and needed longer than 24 hrs to resolve. Investigations needed to be done seeing that the fraudster maintains an account with a different bank.

Thank you my sister, I just even replied the statement self.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 7:40am On Apr 02, 2018
paroh137:

I'm an engineer too, just graduated. That, really, is no excuse. Self-improvement should be paramount

And I'm not Into that

I prefer to Improve myself on the job that essay writing

Its interest bro...

4 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ewizard1: 7:46am On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:

And I'm not Into that
I prefer to Improve myself on the job that essay writing
Its interest bro...
Finished! So Paroh137 can move on! grin

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by 1wolex85: 7:54am On Apr 02, 2018
ewizard1:

Oga, those emails are public emails... I have a lot of GTB personal emails. Those mail are public. Talking about Spamming or Phishing, there's no damage that can be done to those emails.

I hear you, whatever rocks your boat
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by 1wolex85: 7:56am On Apr 02, 2018
ewizard1:

Emails like that should be public I guess! It's not her personal mail. Your business mail should be public if your organisation offers services to the public.

There is a difference between an organisation's email address or an email for public services and email for a staff.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by paroh137(m): 8:11am On Apr 02, 2018
ewizard1:

Finished! So Paroh137 can move on! grin

Typical Nigerian, celebrating mediocrity. That's why our certificates are not recognised abroad smh
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by yurLink: 8:17am On Apr 02, 2018
This is exactly what am going to do to gt bank, holding money for months without and concrete reason. Gbam.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Bonjoro: 8:20am On Apr 02, 2018
paroh137:

Typical Nigerian, celebrating mediocrity. That's why our certificates are not recognised abroad smh

Oya go and die.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Lunagirl(f): 8:21am On Apr 02, 2018
Banks are not liable for fraudulent transactions on your account that is resulted from carelessness (knowingly or unknowingly) on the part of the account holder.

How is the bank responsible for the loss of your phone and the loss of your Bvn that led to the loss of your money?

If you request the information on the account it was transferred to, it will be given to you readily. The bank's part is to ensure that nothing happens to your account from their own end.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by alanka(f): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2018
Nigerian banks or that particular bank (your bank) has lost the system (PPfCS) Petty Filfering from Customers System.

This is a system adopts by financial institutions in Nigeria to steal amount that would be less than cost of finding.

It means banks will only steal amount that they know you would spend more to recover. If cost of finding the amount stolen by the bank is 100 naira (time 50 naira, call 20 naira,, transportation 30 naira) the bank will then under the above said system steal 100 naira -y naira (the y variance depends of the volume of transaction, the financial ability of the customers, customers personality, account officer availability etc. )

They stole my money under system several times. If I had to recover the money I would have to lose times two of it to the process to recover it.

More so, my money was stolen at the several occasions as a result of organised conspiracy against me, my person and personality so even if I had done what you did they would not still remit the money. With fact that I knew that it was organised conspiracy against me, I still did all I was asked to do, I went on face book as you said, facebook blocked my account removed mycomplain.

I do not have anything to do with bank in this world again. Me, banks and bankers will surely meet at the other side. Or if I will ever have to open bank account that would be after GTB is bankcrupt when its trace is no where to be found.

They are corporate armed robbers.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by gr8gem(f): 9:11am On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by TexasCowboy(m): 9:15am On Apr 02, 2018
Festy4u:

Wow, @OP,...your story truly appeals to me cos I suffered similar faith in April, 2015 when about N600,000.00 was debited from my account. I was stunned! But I took a different approach as I involved the police and got info on how the money was transferred to Union bank. I got the phone number off the account and search for it on Whatsapp and found out that the user as been dormant for some while. I keep on checking until one day, after about a month or two, the guy finally appeared with an update on its Whatsapp page. I later found out that he was in one of the eastern state as the transfer supposed same. He later put picture id on its wall. I took the pic off his wall. He continually does change his profile pic until a time he gave an update of going back home to a SW state, which happens to be a state that his more easy to track people. I quickly put a girl on him so as to befriend him and get to monitor his move. I contacted some police on phone and sent them his pic and told them that I have put a girl on him. The girl chatted with him for a while and he later fell in love with her. I told her to convinced him that he wanted them to meet up of which he agreed and he later arranged a place of meeting. I told the police and they got mobilised and moved to the point of their intended meeting. The girl was talking with him on the phone and informing him of her arrival at the spot unknowing to him that it was the police officers that were at the spot. Only for him to appear at the spot dressed accordingly the way he told her he was dressed and was apprehended by the police. I had to travel to the SW state to pick him up and brought him down to the SS. We later settled after he was thoroughly beaten by the police. I have retrieved my money off the agreement we had. The remainder of money left should be the once I spent in mobilising the police and other expenses spent. It wasn't a good experience I must confess!!!

So you and the police let him off just like that, without prosecuting him and sending him to jail for a long time? This is a serious case of fraud for Pete's sake.

This country is really fuckedd. In saner climes, he'll be cooling off in jail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bolu Akin-Olugbade's Rolls Royce Used For Decoration At His Service Of Songs / Sport Betting Project.. Turn 1000 To Over 1 Million Naira In 40 Days / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.