Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,849 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? (14412 Views)

My Girl Friend Is About Going For NYSC Service / What's Your Take On 2-Year NYSC Service? / The NYSC 2019 Batch A Mobilization Time Table Is Finally Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by missterious(f): 7:07am On Apr 02, 2018
TrumpedL:
It's a well conceived idea. 6 months military training in martial arts, ammunition handling and other menus will go a long way in gearing up graduates to real life of self defence against kidnappers, armed robbers, and fulani herdsmen. It could also serve as the selection criteria for those that will be interested in military short-service, Police, and other paramilitary recruitments

6 months compulsory military training? People have died in 3 weeks orientation camp, you're asking for more. It's too early in the morning for this abeg.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by kmaster007: 7:08am On Apr 02, 2018
on top waiting! make dem deploy dem go sambisa abi
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Foodforthought: 7:09am On Apr 02, 2018
Sctests:
so that you can ship southern christian graduates to your boko-infested region and get them killed.
So they can train and recruit educated potential terrorists to carry on with their cold jihad
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by godofuck231: 7:09am On Apr 02, 2018
Contrary to what everyone thinks how many soldiers have u seen or heard of having deserted or committed a crime and escaped, military service not only trains you for war it looks into ur background in 3 months internal security will expose you, case study of book haram fighters trying to infiltrate the army during recruitment, you should see what happened to them, I also know the State of our nation but the system still works when it's properly positioned
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by orunto27: 7:13am On Apr 02, 2018
Yes. And very good.
To equip future Politicians with Knowledge and equi-relevant management Skills, for Courage and sense of Responsibilities, one year military training is a good taste and toast of the Action !!!
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by yusluv376: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2018
Adicsonbaba:
I will be thru in 10days
so dey can change it to anything that pleases them
. please When they Change it After Your own time has finished how do you want Other to feel. you are selfish.

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by LadyHeaven(f): 7:14am On Apr 02, 2018
Engraced2020:
Just as it is done in several foreign countries. What we should be talking about should be Nigeria Govt increasing the wage of Corpers from the meagrely 19.8k to something reasonable.

Please check my signature if you are a blogger, freelancer, student, and online marketer

lol, it's to early to make us laugh, increase westin? when some governors are clamoring for the 18k minimum wage to be decreased cos it's to much and they can't cope...funny country
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by petbam: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2018
I wish it should converted to entrepreneurship training for 3 month after it fg can give loan of 2 to 3 million naira without interest. At least 70% will make use of d money and become employer of labour.

3 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by myrates: 7:17am On Apr 02, 2018
I suggest the National youth service should be compulsory as it is now but reviewed with options of serving in four major basic areas of: 1.Health care services(particularly primary health care) for Medical and health science graduates only.
2. Agricultural services for all graduates
3. Education(teaching )for all graduates
4. Military services for all graduates
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by MRAKBEE(m): 7:19am On Apr 02, 2018
Sctests:
so that you can ship southern christian graduates to your boko-infested region and get them killed.
How many of them up there have served in the south? The scheme is a total nonsense
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by dokyOloye: 7:19am On Apr 02, 2018
Engraced2020:
Just as it is done in several foreign countries. What we should be talking about should be Nigeria Govt increasing the wage of Corpers from the meagrely 19.8k to something reasonable.

Please check my signature if you are a blogger, freelancer, student, and online marketer
A minimum wage worker in some states still earns 18k or a little above.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by MRAKBEE(m): 7:21am On Apr 02, 2018
blazesam:
No . I do not personally think so . The military service , I think , is quite a different thing from the type of programme that you have for the National Youth Service Corps .
Military service entails full military training and to give someone that kind of training , the person must pass through basic training in a military depot. In the case of the Nigerian Army, that kind of basic training lasts for nine months .
So , if you are going to convert the NYSC scheme into military service , it means the whole service year will almost be spent on military training alone . After nine months of this kind of training , a corps member will have only three months left to engage in active NYSC service year . What are you
going to do within the three months left ?
NYSC is a kind of civilian service with a bit of quasi military training at the outset to give the corps members proper orientation towards national service . It was not designed for full military service .
It should remain the way it is . If the government wants to beef up the training , fine ; it can do that . But with the economic situation , as it is now , I do not know whether Nigeria is even going to consider doing so . All of us are aware of what is happening in terms of the economic challenges.
I do not know if there is money around to do a number of things that the Federal Government wants to do. At least , they tell us that the money is not available and we have no reason to doubt them .
We shouldn ’ t talk of embarking on a new thing that will involve a lot of financial commitments .
What I believe that operators of the scheme can do is to keep updating the scheme , reviewing its objectives and commitment to the service such that it will continually be in keeping with the ever changing situation in the country. If you do that , you update it and you find that every year , it has something new to offer the country.
That is what I think we should do. It should restrict itself to what it was designed to do from the very beginning. I will however suggest that it should be constantly updated to address modern challenges in order to remain relevant. • Col . Peter Obasa ( A former Director -General , National Youth Service Corps )
If we convert the NYSC service year to military service , is the government going to arm them ? Are you going to train them in the handling of weapons ? To me, the talk about converting service year to military year is not reasonable .
The suggestion is not reasonable. The intention of the NYSC when it was created was to promote unity and national integration in the country and I think the scheme is still serving that purpose .
But there is no rationale behind converting the service year to a year of military training. This is because you are not going to arm them and secondly, this will negate the aim and objective of setting up the scheme .
Now , looking at the safety of corps members , you will recall that the NYSC authorities too have taken a decision not to post corps members to volatile areas. They now post them to areas nearest to their communities. In the interim and until the country stabilises , I think the NYSC should maintain the policy of posting corps members to non - volatile communities.
The NYSC must continue to consider the welfare of the corps members
Where did u serve or where do u want to serve?
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Engraced2020: 7:22am On Apr 02, 2018
dokyOloye:
A minimum wage worker in some states still earns 18k or a little above.
But is that the right amount? Study market prices and equate it with the wage
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by MRAKBEE(m): 7:22am On Apr 02, 2018
petbam:
I wish it should converted to entrepreneurship training for 3 month after it fg can give loan of 2 to 3 million naira without interest. At least 70% will make use of d money and become employer of labour.
They won't introduce such policy nor implement cos they want the youths of this country to remain the way they are so dat they can continue to have cheap tools for political thuggery, assassination and social media tools like what the likes of Buhariguy, Madridguy, yarimo, ngenechukwu and odas are doing
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Engraced2020: 7:23am On Apr 02, 2018
LadyHeaven:

lol, it's to early to make us laugh, increase westin? when some governors are clamoring for the 18k minimum wage to be decreased cos it's to much and they can't cope...funny country
Those people are evil because this is far more than greed
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 02, 2018
missterious:

6 months compulsory military training? People have died in 3 weeks orientation camp, you're asking for more. It's too early in the morning for this abeg.

You added 'compulsory'. Noticed I didn't include the word 'compulsory' in my post? Military training is not for the fainthearted but trust me, it will make the citizenry safer
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by dokyOloye: 7:26am On Apr 02, 2018
Engraced2020:

But is that the right amount? Study market prices and equate it with the wage
I know.
I'm just saying nobody has it easy in Nigeria as per pay.
Corps members are even lucky.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by godofuck231: 7:27am On Apr 02, 2018
Olalan:
It would be a disaster, a program that is managed poorly already

That's why it's similar to a military training, all luxury is forfeited, u must learn to live by what's available or improvise, although I agree with you, but that's the general idea of it all
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Lukgaf(m): 7:30am On Apr 02, 2018
Sctests:

Kai, see Ur mode of thinking

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by blazesam(m): 7:33am On Apr 02, 2018
MRAKBEE:
Where did u serve or where do u want to serve?
Borno state
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by mamaafrik(m): 7:34am On Apr 02, 2018
Hehehe,my neighbor once suggested too and i told him that crime rate will sky rocket,imagine they trained you on arsenalbhandling,you now went to school join and you,finished service and No job,kidnapping ,killing and unrest will be the order of the day.Nigeria is too united and volatile for such.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by wildernessVoice: 7:39am On Apr 02, 2018
I suggest six months military training at your state of origin and six months civil service at any safe location in Nigeria.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by einsteine(m): 7:48am On Apr 02, 2018
No.

Good steel is not used to make nails.

No good person becomes a soldier.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by kenodrill: 7:49am On Apr 02, 2018
The vital essence of the National youth service corps is....to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration which even if is been compromised should remain sacrosanct.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 02, 2018
blazesam:
No . I do not personally think so . The military service , I think , is quite a different thing from the type of programme that you have for the National Youth Service Corps .
Military service entails full military training and to give someone that kind of training , the person must pass through basic training in a military depot. In the case of the Nigerian Army, that kind of basic training lasts for nine months .
So , if you are going to convert the NYSC scheme into military service , it means the whole service year will almost be spent on military training alone . After nine months of this kind of training , a corps member will have only three months left to engage in active NYSC service year . What are you
going to do within the three months left ?
NYSC is a kind of civilian service with a bit of quasi military training at the outset to give the corps members proper orientation towards national service . It was not designed for full military service .
It should remain the way it is . If the government wants to beef up the training , fine ; it can do that . But with the economic situation , as it is now , I do not know whether Nigeria is even going to consider doing so . All of us are aware of what is happening in terms of the economic challenges.
I do not know if there is money around to do a number of things that the Federal Government wants to do. At least , they tell us that the money is not available and we have no reason to doubt them .
We shouldn ’ t talk of embarking on a new thing that will involve a lot of financial commitments .
What I believe that operators of the scheme can do is to keep updating the scheme , reviewing its objectives and commitment to the service such that it will continually be in keeping with the ever changing situation in the country. If you do that , you update it and you find that every year , it has something new to offer the country.
That is what I think we should do. It should restrict itself to what it was designed to do from the very beginning. I will however suggest that it should be constantly updated to address modern challenges in order to remain relevant. • Col . Peter Obasa ( A former Director -General , National Youth Service Corps )
If we convert the NYSC service year to military service , is the government going to arm them ? Are you going to train them in the handling of weapons ? To me, the talk about converting service year to military year is not reasonable .
The suggestion is not reasonable. The intention of the NYSC when it was created was to promote unity and national integration in the country and I think the scheme is still serving that purpose .
But there is no rationale behind converting the service year to a year of military training. This is because you are not going to arm them and secondly, this will negate the aim and objective of setting up the scheme .
Now , looking at the safety of corps members , you will recall that the NYSC authorities too have taken a decision not to post corps members to volatile areas. They now post them to areas nearest to their communities. In the interim and until the country stabilises , I think the NYSC should maintain the policy of posting corps members to non - volatile communities.
The NYSC must continue to consider the welfare of the corps members

NYSC is a system that nigeria FG uses to exploit their youth by sending them to villages to becone teachers in public schools.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by ceejayluv(m): 7:51am On Apr 02, 2018
capital Yes
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by nzube89(m): 7:51am On Apr 02, 2018
No NYSC is good
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by missterious(f): 8:26am On Apr 02, 2018
TrumpedL:

You added 'compulsory'. Noticed I didn't include the word 'compulsory' in my post? Military training is not for the fainthearted but trust me, it will make the citizenry safer

But NYSC is compulsory in Nigeria for most jobs. If they make it optional, then there's no problem.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by mvem(m): 8:37am On Apr 02, 2018
It will be cool ...would look like israel where everyone is technically a soldier and well disciplined...There will be a sense of safety because anyone can handle a terrorist treat or a threat.....and military training/service doesnt mean u would be taken to war, thats meant for the regular or the proper soldiers...i think greece and isreal does it, US where doing it b4
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 02, 2018
missterious:

But NYSC is compulsory in Nigeria for most jobs. If they make it optional, then there's no problem.

Pregnant women and medically unfit graduates could participate only in the normal 3 weeks camp while others can proceed on the 6 months drill
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Papertrail11(m): 8:44am On Apr 02, 2018
give everybody their 1;9800 x 12 to start a business

yes some willl use theirs to buy iphone some willl go for paid employemnt but if half of the folks who qualify for that money is about 500,000people and they employ 1 or 2 people in their supply chain or value chain you have literallh created 1-2million jobs easy math

rather than give momey to people to loaf around the coutry jumping from pillar to post
people say national intergration but between national intergration and job creation which makes better sense

knew of a girl that her parents had to cough out 100k just for her nysc accomodation if nysc had givrn her 19800*12 plus 100k its enough to start something a small business but today as i speak to you guys shees unemployed

the only people nysc is shaking are the girls in my opinion cos how badd they wanna use picture to oppress their friends

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Batch B 2013 Corpers Posted To Oyo State, Let's Meet Here / NYSC Defends Online Registration / Nysc: Where Have You Been Posted To? Lets Share! 2012 Batch A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.