Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why (23010 Views)

Sex-for-passport: Nigerian Embassy In Germany Suspends Staff Member / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng / AIT Sacks 300 Staff Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by ijustdey: 9:19am On Apr 04, 2018
The Nigerian Embassy in Washington, DC, has said that the recent disengagement of some workers at the embassy followed due process.

Senior officials at the embassy told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the benefits of the 15 local workers, who were recently laid off, would be paid soon.

They said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja, approved the disengagement of the workers due to some ongoing rationalisation of workers at the embassy.

The officials, however, said the ministry had also approved the payment of gratuities to the workers, some of whom had worked with the embassy for more than 30 years.

Some of the affected workers had alleged that the decision to lay them off was arbitrary.

They also alleged that the embassy had no plans to pay their gratuity and other severance benefits.

Further, the local staff, who were mostly Nigerians, had accused the Mission of retaining the non-Nigerian employees at the expense of those who are of Nigerian nationality.

However, the embassy officials denied that there was no prior notice to the disengaged workers, saying they actually agreed to the arrangement since February 2017.

They also assured the workers that the processes for the payment of their entitlements had reached an advanced stage.

One of the officials said: “In February 2017, there was a decision to disengage some of the local staff.

“However, they pleaded to an arrangement to be on contract for another one year, which lapsed in February 2018. The ministry from Abuja approved their disengagement.

“As I am talking to you, we have received approval from Abuja to pay their benefits and they would be paid very soon. It is true that some of them have put in up to 30 years of service.

“They were engaged on contracts and it is the decision of the government to either continue to renew their contract or to terminate it if their services are no longer needed.

“Some whose contracts were terminated in 2013 were not paid in full but we are working out their benefits to make sure that those whose appointments were terminated receive their full benefits.

“It is also not true that they were arbitrarily disengaged; they were aware of the contract and they signed on to it since last year”.

NAN recalled that the embassy, in 2017, had several disagreements with the local workers over the non-payment of salaries spanning several months, leading to protest at the embassy at the time.

Some of the workers also embarked on work to rule, which disrupted consular services at the embassy before they were paid following approval of three months’ salary by the ministry. (NAN)

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigerian-embassy-washington-explains-sack-workers/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Evablizin(f): 9:32am On Apr 04, 2018
Most Nigerians are really working and struggling in vain. Sighs..

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 04, 2018

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Spoilt4toto: 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
So the economy still hard reach there 9ja which way?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by KushyKush: 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
Anything Nigerian always have a comma.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Engraced2020: 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
I guess they will still blame buhari for this but Nigerian govt should wake up

Check my signature for Lifetime Premium Grammarly account. Please serious buyers and not I will get back to you crew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by NwaAmaikpe: 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
shocked

It was rationalized.
And very rational of them to lay those folks off.

78% of the Local staff in the Chancery of the Nigerian Embassy in the US are Yorubas and are both incompetent and very rude to their fellow countrymen. They make you feel you are bugging them.
I'm sure Buhari will want that to change.

It's not fair that I can't readily find someone to speak Etsako or Igbo with when I go in there.
Nigeria belongs to all tribes and not just the Yorubas and Hausas.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by pweshboi(m): 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
Hope they won't start employing non Nigerians to do the job Nigerians can do. Naija too funny in many ways. So anything can happen

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Dutchey(m): 11:57am On Apr 04, 2018
my ticket matters most to me
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by eventowanbe: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
wow....not so good
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Godsent4life: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
Bring all your iTunes card and amazon gift card I offer best rate
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Atiku2019: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
sad
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by fourhayz: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
undecided
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Atiku2019: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 04, 2018
The Nation NG.... see how they twisted the News..

After reading this their version, you would put the blame on the sacked citizens

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by savio93(m): 11:59am On Apr 04, 2018
Work for government.. Sack
Work for Private.... Retrenchment

Who I go work for?

*me, Myself and I*

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by yeyeboi(m): 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
Ok
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by wickyyolo: 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
Buhari and Bad news

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by starbhooy(m): 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
Wow
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by wink2015(m): 12:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
They have had their own SUPER FAIR SHARE OF THE NATIONAL CAKE and I think there is nothing wrong if they are made to return home.

OVERSEAS IS NOT MEANT FOR THEM ALONE.

Let others who are back home be given a fair share of such an opportunity.

AMERICA IS NOT THEIR PAPA NAME.

TO ME THESE WORKERS HAVE ENJOYED FAR BEYOND MY IMAGINATION.

Please they should return home and let others be given such opportunity or near such opportunity.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by EMMAHOT: 12:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
A penny saved is a penny gain. Lol not in naija. You pain and no gain ¥
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Yinxies(f): 12:03pm On Apr 04, 2018
The situation of the country done crawl enter America
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Harwal: 12:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
Eedioot sombori
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by ipobarecriminals: 12:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
sad sad dey'll replace dem with their family/dumb heads

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by yebzman: 12:05pm On Apr 04, 2018
It's Babu's fault....
Job loses extends even to Embassies abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Dpharisee: 12:05pm On Apr 04, 2018
So APC Govt is now exporting their recession to America

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by felix000000(m): 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
why Nigeria tins dey always be like this now.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by igbsam(m): 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
Those folks at the embassy deserves what's coming to them. These guys would frustrate your life when you go there to renew your passport. If you call their customer care number, they don't answer, when u go there, they keep telling to come back months after months. They are so lazy at that embassy. They need to change them please especially one useless desk lady.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by DAREH13: 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
HAS ANYONE NOTICE BET9JA SITE ISNT LOADING ANYMORE?
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by DAREH13: 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
HAS ANYONE NOTICE BET9JA SITE NT LOADING ANYMORE?
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why by Niccoloimhotep: 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
Nwaamaikpe grin grin

cheesy cheesy wink cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have This Amazing Business Idea, But Scared To Quit My Job! / Governor Ikpeazu Honours Clement Chidinma, Female Mechanic. Photos / Jobs That Will Make You Appreciate Your Job (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.