Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance (45337 Views)

Sheriff Emeka Eboh Zadok Is Dead / The Flamboyant Golf Life Of Governor Seyi Makinde / Adolor Okotie-Eboh Dies, Uduaghan, Ogboru Mourn (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by autojosh: 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2018
Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh (1919-1966) was Nigeria’s Minister of Finance.

Prior to his foray into politics, he was an astute businessman with enormous wealth. He was also a sport promoter, school proprietor, pan Africanist, etc.

He remains one of the most flamboyant and exquisitely dressed Nigerian politician ever. He typically dresses in flowing garments with a stretch of cloth several yards long held or attached to a boy.

He was a man of great influence and power, both in and outside of Nigeria. He had influential international friends such as President John F. Kennedy and Israeli statesman, David Ben Gurion.

In 1957, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh became Nigeria’s Minister of Finance.

He was also the first Nigerian Minister to present a Federal Budget. His budget speeches were always a combination of the best of economics, finance, fiscal policies, and literature.

As Minister of Finance, Okotie-Eboh played key roles in the establishment of the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1958.

He also supervised the introduction of the Nigerian national currency following the withdrawal of Ghana from the West African pound sterling.

Till this day, Festus Okotie-Eboh remains the only person to hold the portfolio of Minister of Finance for a record period of 9 years.

On January 15, 1966, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh was assassinated together with Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the prime minister of Nigeria, Sardauna of Sokoto, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Chief Akintola, prime minister of Western Nigeria etc., in a military pogrom.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/nigerias-most-flamboyant-minister-of-finance/

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by ipobarecriminals: 4:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
sad ask Dino of Ajeku iya fame if he can drive these.Only. the Ekiti ponmo cutter. can it

6 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by evy800(f): 4:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
tongue
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Paperwhite(m): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2018
Oketie-Eboh really lived an annoying flamboyant lifestyle while the average Nigerian wallows in abject poverty. undecided Unfortunately the story is still the same today.

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by ipobarecriminals: 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
evy800:
tongue
sweet potato. can we meet @one. corner. b4 those noisemakers. Arrive
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Flyingngel(m): 4:16pm On Apr 04, 2018
Na waoooooooo
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Sealeddeal(m): 4:25pm On Apr 04, 2018
That's the Garage of Late Senator Nwafor Orizu. I know that garage very well.
Foolish bloggers

4 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by EazyMoh(m): 4:30pm On Apr 04, 2018
But Tafawa wasn't living a flamboyant lifestyle to justify his gruesome murder by the coupists.

3 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Truckpusher(m): 4:31pm On Apr 04, 2018
Paperwhite:
Oketie-Eboh really lived an annoying flamboyant lifestyle while the average Nigerian wallows in abject poverty. undecided Unfortunately the story is still the same today.
And he paid dearly for it too.

10 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by solutionist: 4:49pm On Apr 04, 2018
Sealeddeal:
That's the Garage of Late Senator Nwafor Orizu. I know that garage very well.
Foolish bloggers

No you don't. That is Okiete-Eboh's garage. Some bloggers tried to credit it to Orizu some years back, but it turned out to be Okotie-Eboh's own.

3 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by evy800(f): 6:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
ipobarecriminals:

Fyi I am not in any way related 2 d potatoe family if u'r referrin 2 me use my name its clearly stated I think

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Turks: 6:58pm On Apr 04, 2018
The old Okotie and the new Okotie remain the same. Bith living flamboyant lives.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by evy800(f): 7:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
ipobarecriminals:

Am not in any way related 2 d potatoe family if u'r referrin 2 me use my name its clearly stated

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by revolt(m): 7:43pm On Apr 04, 2018
Isn't this the one that invented bribery for contracts by government. He brought Julius berger by earning kickbacks from bribes on federal contracts. Im sure bulk of Nigerian youths don't even know the man. He was killed cos of his super influence and wealth, plus corruption. Think he was the first massively corrupt public officer. Pls if u don't know history don't quote me to talk nonsense.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by wisdomkid: 11:51pm On Apr 04, 2018
Paperwhite:

Do you know how to read?
He was *(cking rich before he's the minister of finance

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Twy: 12:17am On Apr 05, 2018
revolt:
Isn't this the one that invented bribery for contracts by government. He brought Julius berger by earning kickbacks from bribes on federal contracts. Im sure bulk of Nigerian youths don't even know the man. He was killed cos of his super influence and wealth, plus corruption. Think he was the first massively corrupt public officer. Pls if u don't know history don't quote me to talk nonsense.

Most likely but there were also some secretive ones. Okotie Eboh most or the family lost some wealth after his death. Supposedly one of major businessman in the 1970s got his start as Okotie's front. Another potential one is JMJ, another silent guy. Balewa was never the boss, Bello was the boss, Balewa knew what was going on but Bello wanted them to stay for political reasons.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by OneCorner: 4:23am On Apr 05, 2018
see how biafrans tie cloth on a child's neck

some ibos just quoted me and said they are niger deltans not biafrans... but if it's to share money and claim ownership over oil now, dey will include even edo state grin
yeye people

3 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Pavore9: 7:14am On Apr 05, 2018
No be today e start.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jethrolite(m): 9:17am On Apr 05, 2018
revolt:
Okotie Eboh was killed purely for political reasons as a key member of the government in power. Igbos also saw the retaliation from the North and how they've been pushed aside in present day politics.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by chicoMX(m): 9:27am On Apr 05, 2018
"Prior to his foray into politics, he was an astute businessman with enormous wealth". This justifies his flamboyant lifestyle. After all balewa was just a teacher

4 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by marryplo: 9:33am On Apr 05, 2018
rich people sha
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Timagex(m): 9:33am On Apr 05, 2018
Why e com long like wedding gown yansh? shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Lexusgs430: 9:34am On Apr 05, 2018
If only instagram was available back then.........

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by allanphash7(m): 9:35am On Apr 05, 2018
Where is he today
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by dafeyankee: 9:36am On Apr 05, 2018
Judas.

Aside being corrupt. He was also a hopelessly weak man, who though an Urhobo man, changed his name to his wife's family name which was itsekiri and proclaimed himself an itsekiri man.

Useless mo.fo.

10 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 05, 2018
Why was he having dress on a neck of a boy?

Slavery??

3 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by MrImole: 9:37am On Apr 05, 2018
He was brutally assassinated by the ifeajunas and Nzeogwus
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by OkpaAkuEriEri(m): 9:38am On Apr 05, 2018
Amu ekwensu.
See money I dey wan do blood money
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by elgramz: 9:38am On Apr 05, 2018
After all of that, he was killed like a chicken and is now rotten in his grave. Vanity upon vanity

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by psychologist(m): 9:38am On Apr 05, 2018
Nigerians problem started years ago angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 05, 2018
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Viewing The Aeromagnetic Map Of The Nickel Discovery (Pic) / Oshiomhole Replies Saliu Lukman, "Says I Won’t Fight With A Pig" / Michael Jonathan Asemota And Abike Dabiri Meet After He Returned N150m In Qatar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.