Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,072 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance (45374 Views)

Sheriff Emeka Eboh Zadok Is Dead / The Flamboyant Golf Life Of Governor Seyi Makinde / Adolor Okotie-Eboh Dies, Uduaghan, Ogboru Mourn (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by ruggedized1: 9:40am On Apr 05, 2018
These were the people that actually destroyed Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by ruggedtimi(m): 9:40am On Apr 05, 2018
another thread again for this same man
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by ihitenansa: 9:43am On Apr 05, 2018
MrImole:
He was brutally assassinated by the ifeajunas and Nzeogwus
while not conveniently forgetting the ademoyegas and olafimihans
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:44am On Apr 05, 2018
I pray for another political cleansing like the one of the past!
Atleast ppl like, obj, ibb, atiku, buhari,tinubu, madueke, ibori, odili, orji kalu, t orji, ohakim, saraki, osibanjo should be killed!

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by MrImole: 9:44am On Apr 05, 2018
ihitenansa:
while not leaving out the ademoyegas and olafimihans

It wasn't intentional, trust me.

By the way, do you have this book by Ademoyega
"Why we struck"?
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 05, 2018
He is o. Whether he was rich before he became minister or not . That's the face of a theif. He bled Nigeria dry, he started it all. He shouldn't be glorified.

revolt:
Isn't this the one that invented bribery for contracts by government. He brought Julius berger by earning kickbacks from bribes on federal contracts. Im sure bulk of Nigerian youths don't even know the man. He was killed cos of his super influence and wealth, plus corruption. Think he was the first massively corrupt public officer. Pls if u don't know history don't quote me to talk nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by 4Play(m): 9:48am On Apr 05, 2018
He is reported as follows:

Minister of Finance Chief FS Okotie-Eboh responded to charges of accumulation of wealth by government officers by quoting from the Bible, “To those that have, more shall be given. From those that do not have, shall be taken even the little they have.”

[url] https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/emotanafricana.com/2016/04/15/corruption-in-nigeria-to-those-that-have-more-shall-be-given-from-those-that-do-not-have-shall-be-taken-even-the-little-they-have-f-s-okotie-eboh/amp/[/url]

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by lycannightwolf: 9:50am On Apr 05, 2018
Jethrolite:
Okotie Eboh was killed purely for political reasons as a key member of the government in power. Igbos also saw the retaliation from the North and how they've been pushed aside in present day politics.

Bro, i am not an igbo man, but i love the igbos, i have big friends that are Igbos, female friends that have turn sisters that are Igbos so please understand my comment objectively.

Okotie Eboh was very corrupt, oh yes he was the one that brought Julius Berger, he played prominent role in the establishment of CBN but damn that man was very corrupt..he was the one that introduce bribing or oiling your way to get contracts.

He was not kill for political reasons...don't forget that he was killed in the first coup led by Kaduna and co.

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jarus(m): 9:51am On Apr 05, 2018
Some people say he was the founding father of corruption in Nigeria.

I think that legendary Singaporean leader mentio ed his experience with him in his book.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by BoweryGirl(f): 9:53am On Apr 05, 2018
Urhobo wado!

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 05, 2018
wisdomkid:

Do you know how to read?
He was *(cking rich before he's the minister of finance
just the way super corrupt ROCHAS was stinkingly rich before he became governor. gullible graduate illiterate

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by sammyj: 9:56am On Apr 05, 2018
This man was one of the beginning of the economic problem Nigeria had!!!! grin grin
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by aycorporat(m): 10:01am On Apr 05, 2018
Twy:

Most likely but there were also some secretive ones. Okotie Eboh most or the family lost some wealth after his death. Supposedly one of major businessman in the 1970s got his start as Okotie's front. Another potential one is JMJ, another silent guy. Balewa was never the boss, Bello was the boss, Balewa knew what was going on but Bello wanted them to stay for political reasons.

I love history and I've been trying to know more about this man and why the military tagged him a corrupt man that needed to be flushed out. Thanks for this little information
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by oluwaahmed: 10:04am On Apr 05, 2018
JixNation:
Why was he having dress on a neck of a boy?

Slavery??

That's why his ass was killed off in the coup. They were all corrupt if only that coup had killed all of them, we might have been a better country.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 05, 2018
I dont know more than what i've read here about this man. But what i see here is a great business who made so much money in business and wanted to do something to make his country greater. He helped achieved alot.
And yes, i saw the barefooted woman who ran after him but it's his hard earned money. He can decided ehat to do with it. For all we know he might not even be spending his salary on himself.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 05, 2018
oluwaahmed:

That's why his ass was killed off in the coup. They were all corrupt if only that coup had killed all of them, we might have been a better country.

-I can't agree less with you.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 05, 2018
autojosh:
Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh (1919-1966) was Nigeria’s Minister of Finance.

Prior to his foray into politics, he was an astute businessman with enormous wealth. He was also a sport promoter, school proprietor, pan Africanist, etc.

He remains one of the most flamboyant and exquisitely dressed Nigerian politician ever. He typically dresses in flowing garments with a stretch of cloth several yards long held or attached to a boy.

He was a man of great influence and power, both in and outside of Nigeria. He had influential international friends such as President John F. Kennedy and Israeli statesman, David Ben Gurion.

In 1957, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh became Nigeria’s Minister of Finance.

He was also the first Nigerian Minister to present a Federal Budget. His budget speeches were always a combination of the best of economics, finance, fiscal policies, and literature.

As Minister of Finance, Okotie-Eboh played key roles in the establishment of the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1958.

He also supervised the introduction of the Nigerian national currency following the withdrawal of Ghana from the West African pound sterling.

Till this day, Festus Okotie-Eboh remains the only person to hold the portfolio of Minister of Finance for a record period of 9 years.

On January 15, 1966, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh was assassinated together with Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the prime minister of Nigeria, Sardauna of Sokoto, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Chief Akintola, prime minister of Western Nigeria etc., in a military pogrom.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/nigerias-most-flamboyant-minister-of-finance/

Nigerian most insane minister....better heading African leader are bunch of clown tie cloth on a young guy neck
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by aycorporat(m): 10:10am On Apr 05, 2018
revolt:
Isn't this the one that invented bribery for contracts by government. He brought Julius berger by earning kickbacks from bribes on federal contracts. Im sure bulk of Nigerian youths don't even know the man. He was killed cos of his super influence and wealth, plus corruption. Think he was the first massively corrupt public officer. Pls if u don't know history don't quote me to talk nonsense.

I love history and I've been trying to know more about this man and why the military tagged him a corrupt man that needed to be flushed out. Thanks for this little information
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jethrolite(m): 10:12am On Apr 05, 2018
lycannightwolf:

Bro, i am not an igbo man, but i love the igbos, i have big friends that are Igbos, female friends that have turn sisters that are Igbos so please understand my comment objectively.

Okotie Eboh was very corrupt, oh yes he was the one that brought Julius Berger, he played prominent role in the establishment of CBN but damn that man was very corrupt..he was the one that introduce bribing or oiling your way to get contracts.

He was not kill for political reasons...don't forget that he was killed in the first coup led by Kaduna and co.
I do not hate the igbos too and I live like an igbo man because I admire their ways especially with entrepreneurship but according to Wikipedia,

The 1966 Nigerian coup d'état began on January 15, 1966, when mutinous Nigerian soldiers led by Kaduna Nzeogwu and Emmanuel Ifeajuna killed 22 people[1]including the Prime Minister of Nigeria, many senior politicians, many senior Army officers (including their wives), and sentinels on protective duty.[2][3] The coup plotters attacked the cities of Kaduna, Ibadan, and Lagos while also blockading the Niger and Benue River within a two-day span of time before the coup plotters were subdued. The General Officer Commanding, of the Nigerian Army, Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi then used the coup as a pretext to annex power, ending Nigeria's nascent democracy. It was one of the events that led to the Nigerian Civil War

You can visit the website to see how it instigated the second coup later in the year. The whole government was corrupt but the igbos safeguarded their people starting with president Nnamdi Azikiwe who was on a cruise and nothing happened to any greedy igbo politician in the government, even the acting president then was igbo and nothing happened to him too. These facts are out there, corruption was just an excuse to seize power.

The real motive for killing Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh was political and not corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by midb1: 10:16am On Apr 05, 2018
sadly , he was gruesomely murdered by some cowardly pro biafra soldiers. His killing and of others done on the same day with him laid the the foundation for hate and primordial bigotry which has continued to allow nigeria to progress. THANK GOD, His killers were subsequently punished accordingly .
REST IN PEACE GREAT-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by oluwaahmed: 10:16am On Apr 05, 2018
Jethrolite:
Okotie Eboh was killed purely for political reasons as a key member of the government in power. Igbos also saw the retaliation from the North and how they've been pushed aside in present day politics.

Playing stop talking what you don't know! If u were not taught history in school why not google it up. How can someone in this day and age not know history and subscribe to tribalistic jagons pushed by illiterate people?
Ifeajuna sold out in the coup, every politician were killed except some from the east bcoz ifeajuna was a cousin to Zik. Igbos did not in any way carry out any coup. why would they when the president of Nigeria was igbo and Prime Minister Hausa? It was purely a military revolution in which one of them sold out. Even Kaduna nzeogwu was born in the north and bred by ahmadu Bello. He was even from Delta State. Aguiyi ironsi was also targeted but being who he was he countered them and chased the coup plotters all the way from dodan barracks to seme border. Learn ur history don't allow these political old thieves confuse you, they are our problem not igbo,yoruba & Hausa. Up there no tribalism exists only collective looting.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by bionixs: 10:28am On Apr 05, 2018
Paperwhite:
Oketie-Eboh really lived an annoying flamboyant lifestyle while the average Nigerian wallows in abject poverty. undecided Unfortunately the story is still the same today.
oga,I didn't hear that Nigeria was wallowing in poverty then,saves for some lazy ones. I heard the man was rich. we wouldn't expect him to share all his money among the poor as would have been suggested by Mr Freez. Or did Buhari and Lai say his is also corrupt?
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by lycannightwolf: 10:37am On Apr 05, 2018
Jethrolite:
I do not hate the igbos too and I live like an igbo man because I admire their ways especially with entrepreneurship but according to Wikipedia,

You can visit the website to see how it instigated the second coup later in the year. The whole government was corrupt but the igbos safeguarded their people starting with president Nnamdi Azikiwe who was on a cruise and nothing happened to any greedy igbo politician in the government, even the acting president then was igbo and nothing happened to him too. These facts are out there, corruption was just an excuse to seize power.

The real motive for killing Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh was political and not corruption.

Yes i am aware that some top Igbo men were spared and that was a terrible mistake the revolutionist made. but Okotie was corrupt
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Kobicove(m): 10:49am On Apr 05, 2018
OneCorner:
see how biafrans tie cloth on a child's neck

Okotie-Eboh was not from the eastern part of the country undecided
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by trapQ: 11:01am On Apr 05, 2018
Urhobos are not Biafrans.
OneCorner:
see how biafrans tie cloth on a child's neck
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jethrolite(m): 11:13am On Apr 05, 2018
lycannightwolf:

Yes i am aware that some top Igbo men were spared and that was a terrible mistake the revolutionist made. but Okotie was corrupt
Omimi Ejor was definitely corrupt, I even heard he had a personal minting machine but that was not the reason he was killed and omitting Igbos from the coup was not a mistake, it was an igbo coup and they spared their people. Simple!

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jethrolite(m): 11:15am On Apr 05, 2018
trapQ:
Urhobos are not Biafrans.
Even though Okotie-Eboh was born an urhobo man he rose to prominence as an adopted Itsekiri and died an Itsekiri man.
Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by Jethrolite(m): 11:18am On Apr 05, 2018
oluwaahmed:

Playing stop talking what you don't know! If u were not taught history in school why not google it up. How can someone in this day and age not know history and subscribe to tribalistic jagons pushed by illiterate people?
Ifeajuna sold out in the coup, every politician were killed except some from the east bcoz ifeajuna was a cousin to Zik. Igbos did not in any way carry out any coup. why would they when the president of Nigeria was igbo and Prime Minister Hausa? It was purely a military revolution in which one of them sold out. Even Kaduna nzeogwu was born in the north and bred by ahmadu Bello. He was even from Delta State. Aguiyi ironsi was also targeted but being who he was he countered them and chased the coup plotters all the way from dodan barracks to seme border. Learn ur history don't allow these political old thieves confuse you, they are our problem not igbo,yoruba & Hausa. Up there no tribalism exists only collective looting.
Bla bla bla neither of us were born then so hold on to your damage control story while I hold on to official accepted fact that can be quoted in academic articles.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Okotie-Eboh: Nigeria’s Most Flamboyant Minister Of Finance by lycannightwolf: 11:51am On Apr 05, 2018
Jethrolite:
Omimi Ejor was definitely corrupt, I even heard he had a personal minting machine but that was not the reason he was killed and omitting Igbos from the coup was not a mistake, it was an igbo coup and they spared their people. Simple!

oh my good sir! you know some people developed cold feet at the eve of the coup that is why you thought it was an Igbo coup. though personally i saw it as a revolution that was not completed. If it was completed, we won't be in this mess we are in today.

But what do i even know? you can educate me more sir...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nine Ministers Who Will Define Buhari’s Presidency (photos) / EFCC Raids Ambode's Residence [PHOTOS] / Protest In Ibadan over Economic Hardship, food inflation & high cost of living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.