Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard (1748 Views)

Boxing Day, Presidential Spokesman Femi Adesina Gets Befitting Title / CCT Trial: Saraki Heads To Supreme Court / Presidential Spokesman Post New Pictures Of GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 6:49am On May 13, 2010
From Ike Abonyi in Abuja, 05.13.2010

Former Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to late President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi has resigned his position.
Adeniyi handed in his resignation letter yesterday. He would proceed to Harvard University, US, where he has been offered a fellowship programme.
Adeniyi met with President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday afternoon to bid him farewell.
The Director of Programme, Weatherhead Centre, Harvard University, Dr. Kathleen Molony, had last Tuesday, informed Adeniyi that the school had made him an International Affairs Fellow for the session beginning August 2, 2010 and ending July 31, 2011.
When THISDAY spoke to him on phone last night, he confirmed the news of his resignation.

"Yes, I left the villa this afternoon after meeting President Jonathan and I handed over to Ima Niboro who has been a friend and brother. Incidentally, I had met Dr. Jonathan last week Wednesday, then in his capacity as Acting President, to inform him of the Harvard offer and to formally notify him that I would be leaving government latest by July.
"As it would happen, President Yar'Adua died only a few hours later that same day. Now with the official burial rites completed, I see no need to hang around, so I told the President yesterday to release me and he did. He also congratulated me on the Harvard offer. I'm leaving with joy of having served my boss to the very end because I was at the villa the night he died," Adeniyi stated.
Adeniyi was a practising journalist for more than 14 years before accepting the offer to work with the late Yar'Adua in June 2007.

In April 2004, he was appointed by former President Olusegun Obasanjo as a member of the Governing Board of the Nigeria Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative (NEITI).
Adeniyi began his journalism career with The Guardian as a Staff Reporter in December 1990 and left for African Concord as Senior Staff Writer in April 1992. He rose to become Sunday Editor at the Concord and then joined THISDAY as Deputy Editor, Sunday Newspaper, in February 1999.
He became the Editor of the Saturday title of the same paper a year later. He would later become the Editor, Daily, THISDAY before joining the Yar'Adua administration in 2007.

His column then: "The Verdict According to Olusegun Adeniyi", was a must-read for many public officials. His lucid way of writing and tight political analysis won him many fans.
He bagged a Bachelors Degree in International Relations from University of Ife in 1989. In 1998, he got his Masters Degree in International Law and Diplomacy from University of Lagos (UNILAG).
Adeniyi is the author of two books.
Informing him of Harvard's decision, Molony said: "On behalf of the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, I am very pleased to invite you to be a Fellow during the academic year 2010-2011.

"You will be appointed as an Officer of the University for the period August 1, 2010 to July 31, 2011. As one of approximately 15 Fellows, you will join the Weatherhead Center community of over 200 people. In addition to other Fellows and the Center’s faculty, your colleagues will be the Center’s small permanent staff, visiting scholars, doctoral and postdoctoral fellows, and undergraduate students of Harvard.
"I believe that you will find that this is a unique environment offering maximum opportunities for research and discussion of international issues."
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 6:54am On May 13, 2010
To all those who hold these ivy league schools in extreme high esteem, it is now clear that even mediocres and men lacking in character go there.
I what he will contribute in such an environment?
[b]Political journalism 101 - The rise of Lies, Deceit and Rumours in Public institutions: An expert view[/b]If he likes after finishing in Harvard, he can head to Stanford and round off at Oxford.He remains a man devoid of priniciples and full of plenty talk.
When he was at Thisday, he was talking plenty,when it was time to walk the talk,he was worse than those he criticised in the past.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by akinjosh(m): 8:43am On May 13, 2010
just because he worked for a PDP govt doesnt make him a mediocre or a lesser man. Congrats to Olusegun Adeniyi
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 10:33am On May 13, 2010
With all due respect to you ^^^^^, Segun Adeniyi is rubbish.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by Sagamite(m): 10:42am On May 13, 2010
mbulela:

To all those who hold these ivy league schools in extreme high esteem, it is now clear that even mediocres and men lacking in character go there.
I what he will contribute in such an environment?
[b]Political journalism 101 - The rise of Lies, Deceit and Rumours in Public institutions: An expert view[/b]If he likes after finishing in Harvard, he can head to Stanford and round off at Oxford.He remains a man devoid of priniciples and full of plenty talk.
When he was at Thisday, he was talking plenty,when it was time to walk the talk,he was worse than those he criticised in the past.

mbulela:

Can you at least give examples of what he has done that makes you label him rubbish, mediocre and a man devoid of priniciples?

He is not a public figure that info on is easily available, so you need to back it up.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by Nobody: 10:48am On May 13, 2010
^^^^

he was a columnist in this day. plenty on the rot in naija etc etc social commentary, socila critic - then he got appointed as yarduas spokesman and he flipped faster than a hamburger

disgraceful chit

sort of like if they make you an editor in this day or guardian and you come to nl to praise naija journalists

most of us would be sickened too
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by yemmight(m): 11:01am On May 13, 2010
mbulela:

You must be a bigot. What has Segun done wrong here. Because he worked PDD, or Yaradua or OBJ? The guy moved up by leaving Thisday and thts at point in one's career, we need to decide we don't have to keep doing same thing or to remain static.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by Sagamite(m): 11:14am On May 13, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

he was a columnist in this day. plenty on the rot in naija etc etc social commentary, socila critic - then he got appointed as yarduas spokesman and he flipped faster than a hamburger

disgraceful chit

sort of like if they make you an editor in this day or guardian and you come to nl to praise naija journalists

most of us would be sickened too

LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin grin

You dey crase!
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 11:38am On May 13, 2010
yemmight:

You must be a bigot. What has Segun done wrong here. Because he worked PDD, or Yaradua or OBJ? The guy moved up by leaving Thisday and thts at point in one's career, we need to decide we don't have to keep doing same thing or to remain static.
calling me a bigot is very rich, coming from you.
I will refrain from insulting you back.
However, my views on Segun Adeniyi remain unchanged.
He is a loud mouth who could not walk the talk, he wasted newsprint dishing out every Thursday for over 4 years.
He aided and the lying and rumour mongering presidency of Yar Adua.
Under his watch as the president's spokesman, lies and rumour mongering was raised to the status of national policies.
Yet you have the effrontery to call me a bigot?
Are you kidding?
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by tkb417(m): 12:17pm On May 13, 2010

is that the point?

its not about career progression but his deeds while with the rulin class

im sure you dont understand the OPs grouse with him
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by Katsumoto: 12:42pm On May 13, 2010
yemmight:

That is a bit harsh and unnecessary. You may have history with the poster but I can't discern any bigotry in his posts on this thread.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 10:11pm On May 13, 2010
^^^
History ke?
I no know the guy from Adam o!
We are used to such online, sha.
People discover a new word and look for avenues to utilise them,even if it does not make sense within the context of the arguments in question.
I would be surprised if he can define the word BIGOT without using Google and i doubt if he did same before using it on me.
Anyway, just like Segun Adeniyi, i leave him to his conscience as he continues defending the indefensible.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by mbulela: 2:16am On May 17, 2010
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=173394

Segun Adeniyi can keep his memoirs where the sun does not shine.
Who will believe him?
When he was meant to say the truth, he dithered and chaperoned the reign of lies,deceit and rumours.
Now he comes to talk of writing memoirs.These guys seem to be high on some cheap stuff.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by paddylo1(m): 2:58am On May 17, 2010
How can he claim he resigned. . .thats just stupid

His boss died and he is out of a job. . .or is he deluded that GJ will keep him?

resign my foot
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by Nenum(m): 3:06am On May 17, 2010
Segun, should go hide his head in shame.
and if he ever comes back wit any "verdict's
we shall carry placards against This Day.
Re: Presidential Spokesman, Adeniyi Resigns, Heads To Harvard by nethacker(m): 5:34am On May 17, 2010
let him go to hell

(1) (Reply)

There Were Two Attempts On My Life Over Cbn Governorship - Dr. Obadiah Mailafia / Governor Adams Oshiomole Dancing Etighi On Stage With Chuddy K At Victory Party / Why Must Mr. Labaran Maku, Lie About Nearly Perishing In The Crashed Chopper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.