Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,574 members, 7,955,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:28 PM

Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? (2995 Views)

Why Do Yorubas N North Group South South As Igbo Pepo / Why Do Yorubas Not Care? / Do Yorubas And Hausas Do Masqurades Like The Igbos/Ibibios? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
macof:
shut up. Your thread is idiotic
Yoruba are one of the purest Africans

We have zero connection to the middle East
There's no such thing as a pure tribe you sef do maths

You have 2 parents 1 1
You have 4 grandparents. 1111
You have 8 great grand parents 11111111
You have 16 great great grand parents 1111111111111111

One generation =30 years

Twenty generations =30*20= 600 years

Twenty generations = 2^20=?

How many yorubas existed back then? Don't tell me you truly believe you were created in Ife
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by omohayek: 7:32pm On Apr 12, 2018
ezeagu:

Actually Yoruba people have Eurasian DNA in small amounts.
I know the particular study from which this claim was derived, and it turns out that the authors made a mistake which led them to an erroneous conclusion: after correcting for the mistake, the supposed Eurasian ancestry disappeared. I will provide a link to the paper which detected their mistake later, once I have access to a computer.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by macof(m): 7:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
ezeagu:

Actually Yoruba people have Eurasian DNA in small amounts.

We are one of the purest Africans..

Your little irrelevant post here doesn't invalidate my earlier statement

Ps. There are no credible sources to this "Eurasian DNA in small amounts"
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by macof(m): 7:50pm On Apr 12, 2018
LordVoldermort:
There's no such thing as a pure tribe you sef do maths

You have 2 parents 1 1
You have 4 grandparents. 1111
You have 8 great grand parents 11111111
You have 16 great great grand parents 1111111111111111

One generation =30 years

Twenty generations =30*20= 600 years

Twenty generations = 2^20=?

How many yorubas existed back then? Don't tell me you truly believe you were created in Ife

What's this one saying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
macof:

What's this one saying

If you just did that simple maths you'll discover that 600 years ago in your family tree you had over a million ancestors how many Yorubas existed then? What if we go back 1000 years? The only way you could have pure ancestry is if your parents married their brothers and sisters on and on

1 Like

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by macof(m): 9:03pm On Apr 12, 2018
LordVoldermort:
If you just did that simple maths you'll discover that 600 years ago in your family tree you had over a million ancestors how many Yorubas existed then? What if we go back 1000 years? The only way you could have pure ancestry is if your parents married their brothers and sisters on and on

You are not a very intelligent human being.

Go back and reread the first post you quoted and tell me how this relates?
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2018
macof:

You are not a very intelligent human being.

Go back and reread the first post you quoted and tell me how this relates?
macof:
shut up. Your thread is idiotic
Yoruba are one of the purest Africans

We have zero connection to the middle East
I had the impression I was addressing this
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by macof(m): 8:21am On Apr 13, 2018
LordVoldermort:
I had the impression I was addressing this
your post was not addressing that in any reasonable way.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by ezeagu(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2018
macof:

We are one of the purest Africans..

Your little irrelevant post here doesn't invalidate my earlier statement

Ps. There are no credible sources to this "Eurasian DNA in small amounts"

"We found evidence for historically complex and regionally distinct admixture with multiple HG and Eurasian populations across SSA (Fig. 2 and Supplementary Note 5). Specifically, ancient Eurasian admixture was observed in central West African populations (Yoruba; ∼7,500–10,500 years ago),"

"Our finding of ancient Eurasian admixture corroborates findings of non-zero Neanderthal ancestry in Yoruba, which is likely to have been introduced through Eurasian admixture and back migration, possibly facilitated by greening of the Sahara desert during this period13,14."

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13997

1 Like

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by macof(m): 2:04pm On Apr 13, 2018
ezeagu:

"We found evidence for historically complex and regionally distinct admixture with multiple HG and Eurasian populations across SSA (Fig. 2 and Supplementary Note 5). Specifically, ancient Eurasian admixture was observed in central West African populations (Yoruba; ∼7,500–10,500 years ago),"

"Our finding of ancient Eurasian admixture corroborates findings of non-zero Neanderthal ancestry in Yoruba, which is likely to have been introduced through Eurasian admixture and back migration, possibly facilitated by greening of the Sahara desert during this period13,14."

I dont think you understand simple english. This your bid to challenge my Statement is not going anywhere
..very simple use of words " we are one of the purest Africans"
"Eurasian DNA in small amounts from 7000-10000 years ago" does not invalidate my earlier comment

And I have come across this information, being quoted word for word over again... one wonders what the original source is and the geneticists who actually made this findings
This is not an established fact that you should be posting as a reply to my earlier comment
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Olu317(m): 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2018
ezeagu:

Don't bother yourself Iboman.Many of us Yorubas know our history via language, genetics finding and oral accounts. Even Professor David Reich (geneticist) , at Harvard Medical school, did research on it and wrote about it.

Below is Professor David Reich.

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Rosskii: 6:08pm On Apr 13, 2018
omohayek:

Um, no, just no. Pygmy groups still exist in Central Africa, and DNA has been collected from them, just as with most other African populations. There is zero trace of Pygmy ancestry found in Yorubas in any studies I've seen, and I've seen plenty. Besides, if our ancestors had interbred with Pygmies as you suggest, wouldn't we see it in a decreased mean height for Yorubas and other West African populations? And yet we are no shorter than any other peoples: nearly the entire membership of America's NBA have their ancestral roots in West Africa.

Cheikh Anta Diop and other historians have stated that the first inhabitants of Africa south of the Sahara were the Twa and Khoisan - pygmoid groups - and that the later West African and Bantu come from the Sahara, the Nile Valley and West Asia. The Sahara was once a green land filled with cities and empires. Desertification of the region in antiquity forced Bantu populations to head north to the green belt of Egypt and Nubia, and southwards into West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by Olu317(m): 7:20pm On Apr 13, 2018
Khoisan
These people are two groups known as San People and Khoikhoi people who shared traits,whose language was classified by Joseph Greenberg but different from Bantu groups.
Khoisan languages do not belong to other African language families . For much of the 20th century, San and Khoikoi were thought to be
genealogically related to each other, but this is no longer accepted. They are now held to comprise three distinct language families and two language isolates .
Again, Yorubas don't have interbreeding with Pygmies. Non of the study so far from reputably international researchers had or have been seen anywhere to Yorubas because Yoruba blood sample is among being used to identify anciently related ancestors.
Re: Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? by omohayek: 7:42pm On Apr 13, 2018
Rosskii:

Cheikh Anta Diop and other historians have stated that the first inhabitants of Africa south of the Sahara were the Twa and Khoisan - pygmoid groups - and that the later West African and Bantu come from the Sahara, the Nile Valley and West Asia. The Sahara was once a green land filled with cities and empires. Desertification of the region in antiquity forced Bantu populations to head north to the green belt of Egypt and Nubia, and southwards into West Africa.
I prefer to get my information on such matters from population-geneticists and archaeologists who have published their work in relevant peer-reviewed journals. We now have a tremendous amount of such data (see, for example https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5772775/), and it doesn't support the view that Pygmoid groups were already in West Africa when our own primary ancestors arrived. If you'd restricted the discussion to southern Africa you'd have been closer to the mark, as there both genetic and archaeological evidence line up to support the theory of a Bantu farmer expansion which swamped existing hunter-gatherers, but Yorubas, Edos, Igalas, Igbos and most other Nigerian groups are not Bantu.

As for the idea that there were cities in the Sahara, that is pure science fiction. To be sure, there were wet intervals when the Sahara turned to grassland, but the last one ended over 7,000 years ago, before the very first cities arose anywhere outside of a few Middle Eastern settlements like Jericho. Even the Egyptians didn't fully commit to a sedentary lifestyle until 5,500 years ago at the very earliest. There's no question that there has been gene-flow between West, North and East Africa, and that it has continued at low levels even with the desertification of the Sahara, but that isn't the same as claiming Yoruba civilization owes anything to Egypt or any other civilization around the Red Sea area. Just about the only Africa-wide technological development that can be said with any confidence to come from the east was iron-smelting, which appears to have originated in the area that would eventually become Meroe.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From Zizi Cardow's Chieftancy Conferment In Abia / Here’s 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria Today; Is Your King Among? / An Igbo Sacred Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.