Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence (5925 Views)

Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President / Junaid Mohammed: South Should Forget 2023 Presidency / We All Agree Our Nation Should Remain One – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 4:34pm On Apr 11, 2018
Note to the mods: This discussion is about independence and self determination which are legitimate and legal rights enshrined under international law espoused under article 1 of the UN charter and article 20(1) of the African charter, which Nigeria is a signatory to and allows any group of people the right to seek independence from the country they belong to. This has nothing to do with secession(before you people start looking for who to ban)

I would have prefared to write this in Igbo but I understand that there are Igbos out there who may not be proficient in Igbo, particularly those born and raised outside Igbo land. Never the less, I will say Igbo bu Igbo! Anam ekene. Onye na nke ya, onye na nke ya. Chukwu dube anyi, n'ofu n'ofu.

My great Igbo nation, and by this I mean the people indigenous to southern Nigeria who speak Igbo or a variant of it as their ancestral language, bound by a similar culture, bloodlines, tradition, custom, norms and Judeo-Christian beliefs. In 1897, a woman called Flora Shaw came up with name called "Nigeria". In 1914, Flora Shaws husband, Frederick Lugard incorporated us and our ancestral land into an international merger of ethnic groups into Nigeria. Suddenly, ethnic groups we barely knew and had no historical association with such Yorubas and Hausa-Fulanis became our supposed "brothers". The hundred years that was to follow this amalgamation has been froth with tribalism, pogrom, ethnic and religious bias, civil war, ethnic supremacist battles, suspicion and many more ills. It is now clear even to a blind man that the 1914 union of Nigeria was a disasterous mistake. While we cannot change the past, we can definitely do something about the future.

IT IS TIME FOR US IGBOS TO ASPIRE TO OUR OWN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY!

I wish to add here that this aspiration can be with or without the ethnic groups that border Igbo land such as Ijaws, Efiks, Ogoja, Ogoni etc. So long as it is by mutual consent of all parties.

The great Igbo nation has a lot to gain by being an independent country.
1) we restructure our nation however we like
2) we free our selves politically from whatever the Northern oligarchy or Yorubas think
3) we sign new bilateral agreements with the rest of the world
4) we take control of our resources
5) We develop a truly people's oriented constitution
6) we free our selves from the terrorism of Boko Haram and Herdsmen which Nigeria has become synonymous with
7) we take back our borders and waters
) we will no longer be bound by the false manual called the Nigerian constitution.
9) we reclaim our sovereignty that was stolen in 1914(Briefly reclaimed by the great Ojukwu in 1967)

Nigeria is failed state, it will take nobody nowhere. No matter who wins elections, now or in the future, the country is doomed. A country that has no commonality, no unifying ethos, no unity of purpose, inequality, divided by ethnic leanings, religious bias and separate value systems. It will never work, not now or ever.

So I say to: The Ika-Igbo nation! The Ikwerre-Igbo nation! The Izzi/Ezza-Igbo nation! The Wawa-Igbo nation! The Ohuhu-Igbo nation! The Umueze-Okoha Igbo nation! The Aro-Igbo nation! The Eha-Igbo nation!The Ijekebe- Igbo nation to which I belong and all the sub-national Igbo communities out there..........

Aspire to independence! Reject the failure called Nigeria! Express your right of self determination! Seek a new beginning! You are too big to be begging for restructuring or anything inside Nigeria! You are too big for any political position in Nigeria.

Ogwucha ka oham n'onu.

NWERE-ONWE!(SELF-DETERMINATION!)

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 11, 2018
So Igbos should abandon an internal market of 198 million people? Do you know many industrialized countries whish they had such a large internal market?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:
So Igbos should abandon an internal market of 198 million people? Do you know many industrialized countries whish they had such a large internal market?

a big for nothing country

poor education, poor military, poor healthcare, poor infrastructure.

a big for nothing country.

just big. nothing good inside.

there are smaller and more advanced countries.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
Nigerian motto.

United we fall

Divided we stand

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 11, 2018
Nigeria, sadly will NEVER be great.

Divided, individual units have a chance.

Collectively Nigeria is DOOMED

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 5:40pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:

An external market of 7 Billion people worldwide makes far more practical sense.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2018
gidgiddy:

An external market of 7 Billion people worldwide makes far more practical sense.
With protectionist tariffs all over the place. Give Nigeria another chance.
Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by phase1: 6:15pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:

You are wasting your time.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 11, 2018
How will you convince Wike's Rivers Igbos to join you? Wike has said Rivers Igbos are committed to Nigeria.

Without access to the sea from Rivers Igbo ports like Port Harcourt (Igwe Ocha, and Igwe Ngaa) an independent Igbo country might be at the mercy of vengeful Nigerians, who will slap very high export duties on products coming from Alaigbo, even ones meant for export in other countries passing through Nigerian seaports.

Thus, no matter how good those products may be (and they would be very good because Igbos are the best, world class!) someone sitting in Lagos Customs Office can price it out of the market.

And unlike now that Igbos can use Igbo blogs to put pressure and get the decision reversed as citizens, then the Igbos would be called foreigners that have no citizens rights in Nigeria. Any Igbo that tries to protest would likely be deported to his country and his property gladly siezed. That is why we ask you too give Nigeria another chance.

With good governance from our state governors, Igbo Presidency, etc., things will get much better.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by horsepower101: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2018
Op I Agree with you 100%. We need to strategize on how to have our own NATION for the sake of our future generations. I strongly believe that it is my generation that will make it happen.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 11, 2018
horsepower101:
Op I Agree with you 100%. We need to strategize on how to have our own NATION for the sake of our future generations. I strongly believe that it is my generation that will make it happen.
Strategize first on how to get our governors, senator, representatives to be more accountable.

Look at the map the op posted. Do you realise that without Rivers Igbos an independent Igbo country would be completely encycled by Nigeria?

How would you export without using Nigerian ports and paying (probably sky-high) Nigerian tariffs?

How would you leave your country without using Nigerian airspace? If Wike (Igbo Governor of Rivers) doesn't support your project, it can't succeed, and he doesn't.
Only something like a genocide of cataclysmic proportions would sway Wike over to the side of Igbo independence, and Nigerian Armed Forces don't want IPOB protest wahala, so that won't happen (God forbid bad thing)

What Igbos need now is to create massive social media power to be able to sway public opinion, and you will see changes happening fast.

I'm not talking about entertainment blogging. I'm talking about Strategic, developmental and civil rights blogging and social media activism.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by horsepower101: 6:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:
Strategize first on how to get our governors, senator, representatives to be more accountable.

Look at the map the op posted. Do you realise that without Rivers Igbos an independent Igbo country would be completely encycled by Nigeria?

If the Igbos in rivers state decide that they choose to remain in Nigeria, so be it. A hypothetical landlocked Biafra will be far better than the current situation in Nigeria. Besides the South-east as currently drawn on the map still has access to the sea under international laws. So your scare tactics don't move me or those of us that are enlightened.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Kokolet11: 6:40pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:
I will remind you and other fake igbos this nonsense in 2023

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 11, 2018
horsepower101:

If the Igbos in rivers state decide that they choose to remain in Nigeria, so be it. A hypothetical landlocked Biafra will be far better than the current situation in Nigeria. Besides the South-east as currently drawn on the map still has access to the sea under international laws. So your scare tactics don't move me or those of us that are enlightened.

Look at that map again. Let us Igbo youths create social media tools to control public opinion instead, and our politicians will give us the most developed region in Africa. We can even surpass white areas of South Africa in development.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by horsepower101: 6:43pm On Apr 11, 2018
Kokolet11:
I will remind you and other fake igbos this nonsense in 2023

The problem is that once Igbos leave, the rest will not want to stay. And they know it.

That's why they do everything possible to keep the IGBOs whom they so much despise in a false unity. Held together with gun to our heads.

Unity my asss...

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by horsepower101: 6:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:

Look at that map again. Let us Igbo youths create social media tools to control public opinion instead, and our politicians will give us the most developed region in Africa. We can even surpass white areas of South Africa in development.

Can't and will never be accomplished under Nigeria. We are literally surrounded in the same country with people that never want to see us succeed. Yet they lose their minds when we say we want to go.. Nigeria is a failed state...The sooner people come to that realization, the better for their future generations.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 7:20pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:

How would you export without using Nigerian ports and paying (probably sky-high) Nigerian tariffs?

How would you leave your country without using Nigerian airspace? If Wike (Igbo Governor of Rivers) doesn't support your project, it can't succeed, and he doesn't.
Only something like a genocide of cataclysmic proportions would sway Wike over to the side of Igbo independence, and Nigerian Armed Forces don't want IPOB protest wahala, so that won't happen (God forbid bad thing)

What Igbos need now is to create massive social media power to be able to sway public opinion, and you will see changes happening fast.

I'm not talking about entertainment blogging. I'm talking about Strategic, developmental and civil rights blogging and social media activism.

Being landlocked is not an issue. Lesotho and Swaziland are two countries completely encircled by South Africa. They have not died.

Botswana has one of the fastest growing economy in Africa, it is landlocked.

Switzerland and Austria are landlocked countries in Europe, each of them is richer than Nigeria.

London is one of the greatest cities in the world, but London exports and and imports good via several ports on the River Thames.

As for the Wike you are talking about, in a referendum, He has only one vote. The Igbos in Rivers state will decide for themselves if the prefare Nigeria or independence. It won't be Wine who decides for them.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Roger3D(m): 7:24pm On Apr 11, 2018
Igbos and indeed all other ethnic groups in this country DO NOT have a right to self determination because neither are they considered a people, nor are they oppressed or under colonial rule. The only people who have a right to a separate country are the Palestinians . So forget it

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Odingo1: 7:36pm On Apr 11, 2018
Roger3D:
Igbos and indeed all other ethnic groups in this country DO NOT have a right to self determination because neither are they considered a people, nor are they oppressed or under colonial rule. The only people who have a right to a separate country are the Palestinians . So forget it
You are wrong,under UN charter a group of related people have right to self determination.

14 Likes

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Germannig: 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:
How will you convince Wike's Rivers Igbos to join you? Wike has said Rivers Igbos are committed to Nigeria.

Without access to the sea from Rivers Igbo ports like Port Harcourt (Igwe Ocha, and Igwe Ngaa) an independent Igbo country might be at the mercy of vengeful Nigerians, who will slap very high export duties on products coming from Alaigbo, even ones meant for export in other countries passing through Nigerian seaports.

Thus, no matter how good those products may be (and they would be very good because Igbos are the best, world class!) someone sitting in Lagos Customs Office can price it out of the market.

And unlike now that Igbos can use Igbo blogs to put pressure and get the decision reversed as citizens, then the Igbos would be called foreigners that have no citizens rights in Nigeria. Any Igbo that tries to protest would likely be deported to his country and his property gladly siezed. That is why we ask you too give Nigeria another chance.

With good governance from our state governors, Igbo Presidency, etc., things will get much better.

You may be right some, but many rich countries including Switzerland, Austria and, in Africa, Botswana do not have access to the Sea. Rwanda, the best example of an African country undergoing enviable development, also has no sea contiguity.

12 Likes

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Roger3D(m): 8:09pm On Apr 11, 2018
Odingo1:

You are wrong,under UN charter a group of related people have right to self determination.
No I am not. Under that UN statue you Igbos do not qualify to be even called a people let alone claim a right to a separate country of your own. That's the reason why the whole world ignores your agitation, its because they deny it

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nonaira3: 8:12pm On Apr 11, 2018
igbodefendercom:

Which market? What's Niggeria market in comparison to the rest of the world and Africa in total. Are you okay? Of what benefits to stay in a drowning shithole with absolutely no possibility of advancement in any forseeable future simply because of a "198 million people". Abeg commot for Igbo face with that bullshit.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nonaira3: 8:13pm On Apr 11, 2018
Roger3D:
No I am not. Under that UN statue you Igbos do not qualify to be even called a people let alone claim a right to a separate country of your own. That's the reason why the whole world ignores your agitation, its because they deny it

You are the bonafide definition of an illiterate. I suggest go and reread the UN statue right to self-determination because you are clearly clueless as Bleep.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 8:16pm On Apr 11, 2018
Roger3D:
Cure your ignorance. Article 20(1) of the African charter on people and human rights which Nigeria is a signatory to and is enforceable in Nigerian law states:

All peoples shall have the right to existence. They shall have the unquestionable and inalienable right to self-determination. They shall freely determine their political status and shall pursue their economic and social development according to the policy they have freely chosen.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Roger3D(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2018
Nonaira3:

You are the bonafide definition of an illiterate. I suggest go and reread the UN statue right to self-determination because you are clearly clueless as Bleep.
How are you Igbos a 'people' according to that UN statue? You are no more than a single ethnic group within a UN member state. Before colonial rule you were not a sovereign nation state. The UN promulgated that statue in the wake of the decolonization of the third world, and has applied it sparingly ever since. The world doesn't consider you a people and hence relegates your agitation to where it rightfully belongs: The gutter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Dtribeless: 8:22pm On Apr 11, 2018
The Igbo nation has the most to lose from the arrangement you prescribe. Millions of Igbos would have to leave their properties behind and move back to the confines of Igboland. Igbos live with other tribes the most, even though the ignorant ones complain all the time. All Igbo billionaires/millionaires would have to go back to zero, except their wealth is not in Naira. This silliness (I want my own space!!!) would not end well. Are your Igbo governors not stealing funds like the Fulanis/Yoruba governors? Are they bringing any development to Igboland that is not seen in other regions? If they are, then why don't Igbo's stay home?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Jamnocase: 8:24pm On Apr 11, 2018
The main reason why Biafrans have not succeeded in their quest for independence is not just because the Hausas or the Yorubas are against them, but rather, because their own so called brothers and leaders are working against them. These their so called leaders have sold them out in order to buy a future for themselves and their families and the will do anything humanly possible to maintain the status quo.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by neezar: 8:25pm On Apr 11, 2018
Dtribeless:
The Igbo nation has the most to lose from the arrangement you prescribe. Millions of Igbos would have to leave their properties behind and move back to the confines of Igboland. Igbos live with other tribes the most, even though the ignorant ones complain all the time. All Igbo billionaires/millionaires would have to go back to zero, except their wealth is not in Naira. This silliness (I want my own space!!!) would not end well. Are your Igbo governors not stealing funds like the Fulanis/Yoruba governors? Are they bringing any development to Igboland that is not seen in other regions? If they are, then why don't Igbo's stay home?
I laf....Do u know how many igbo guys in lag have multiple businesses in the east??

If u go to their villages, You would see massive structures there, They would loose, but not much

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Roger3D(m): 8:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
gidgiddy:

Cure your ignorance. Article 20(1) of the African charter on people and human rights which Nigeria is a signatory to and is enforceable in Nigerian law states:

All peoples shall have the right to existence. They shall have the unquestionable and inalienable right to self-determination. They shall freely determine their political status and shall pursue their economic and social development according to the policy they have freely chosen.
You are not a 'people', you are just another ethnic group within a sovereign nation state. Nobody recognizes your right to have a state of your own

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 8:28pm On Apr 11, 2018
Dtribeless:

Not true. That is like saying that all Nigerians living outside Nigeria can lose their investments and go back to Nigeria. That is not possible because international law protects properties and investments anywhere in the world.

Britain is officially leaving the EU next year but the over one million British citizens living in Europe have not been asked to go anywhere and non of them will lose their investments

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by gidgiddy: 8:30pm On Apr 11, 2018
Roger3D:
You are not a 'people', you are just another ethnic group within a sovereign nation state. Nobody recognizes your right to have a state of your own

Really? So what is your understanding of a "people"?

5 Likes

Re: The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence by Nonaira3: 8:33pm On Apr 11, 2018
OP biko thank you. Apart from the greedy political saboteurs, we have in that shithole, which Igbo man is against Igbos living Niggeria. I actually had this exact conversation with my father yesterday. During the conversation, One thing my pops mentioned that is very much accurate. Niggeria have been in existence for over 100 years now, other nations make progress after few years of existence even if hindered by a war, example Anogla, Rwanda, etc but Niggeria have yet to show any signs of ever improving. Infact, we started downgrading the second whites left the nation which speaks alot on the underdevelopment of Niggerians and their capacity despite deceiving themselves they are better than other Africans. I personally, I say we have tried Niggeria for two long and what have Igbos benefitted from being in this "country"? Nothing. They repeatedly state, "oh you'll leave this vast market, for small market". What is the use of a vast market that has no future? Shit, our ancestors did not trade with the majority of the tribes in Nigeria and they did not die; likewise, thanks to modern day technology, Igbos have access to the entire world. Whenever I see a person talks about "Nigeria gives you more business customers", I wonder whether that person was born with head straight at all. A good businessman knows that online trading is extremely profitable. For me, I always say if Niggeria is so confident that majority of Igbos want Niggeria, excluding "touts, criminals and unemployed youths." then they will not be afraid of a simple thing as a referendum. A person is afraid of anything simple as such when they know what they tell themselves is straight delusions and they are terrified of the real answer and that's a fact.

In fact, Niggeria is the only nation I've ever seen in my entire life which blames a specific set of people for their problems yet too terrified to allow those "problems" leave their shithole. I wonder why. They stupidly hide under the claim "they taking the SS minorities with them, just go with SE alone" For one, I'm a SS Igbo and I know I rather die the most painful death imaginable than stay in "one Niggeria" if SE leave alone. There is no doubt the rest of Igbos in the SS area think the exact same way; I can't speak for the minorities on the other hand, personally I speak against them being included in Biafra honestly. Anyway even at that, till this very fucking day, I repeatedly wondered in what way, shape or form is asking for a "Referendum to allow the people to choose" imply "taking away by force."? Sometimes I wonder why Niggerians delude themselves as highly educated. The logic of Niggeria explains the reason why schooling in Niggeria is looked as mediocre by everyone including in other African countries. Their illogical sense keeps me in awe most of the times.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eid-el-kabir: Gov. Ugwuanyi Salutes Muslims, Calls For Prayers, Sustained Peace / States, FCT IGR Hit N579.490bn In 6 Months / Fulani Camps Located In The Heart Of Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.