Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,934 members, 7,828,255 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study (28224 Views)

Men Beware! Long Sex May Kill You! / This Horrific Instant Skin Bleaching Method Could Kill You (Photos) / Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by gimmehear(f): 4:24pm On Apr 12, 2018

People who stay up late and have to drag themselves out of bed are likelier to die younger than those who rise and set with the Sun, researchers said Thursday.

A survey of more than 430,000 people in Britain found that night owls had a 10-percent higher risk of dying in the 6.5-year study period than "larks".

"This is a public health issue that can no longer be ignored," said study co-author Malcolm van Schantz of the University of Surrey -- and argued that "night types" should be allowed to start and finish work later in the day.

"Night owls trying to live in a morning-lark world may (suffer) health consequences," said fellow author Kristen Knutson of the Northwestern University in Chicago.

The duo gathered information on nearly half-a-million people aged 38-73 from a public database.

The participants had defined themselves as either "definitely a morning person" (27 percent), "more a morning person than evening person" (35 percent), "more an evening than a morning person" (28 percent), or "definitely an evening person" (nine percent).

They also listed their weight, smoking habits, and socioeconomic status.

Deaths in the group -- just over 10,500 in total -- were documented for six-and-a-half years.

The night owl group, the team found, had a 10-percent higher risk of dying than those in the extreme early-morning group.

People in the late-night group were more likely to suffer from psychological disorders, diabetes, and stomach and breathing troubles, and slept fewer hours per night.

They were also more likely to smoke, drink alcohol and coffee, and use illegal drugs.

The higher risk may be because "people who are up late have an internal biological clock that doesn't match their external environment," Knutson said.

"It could be psychological stress, eating at the wrong time for the body, not exercising enough, not sleeping enough, being awake at night by yourself, maybe drug or alcohol use."

The research duo urged special treatment for night owls.

"If you can recognise these (types) are, in part, genetically determined and not just a character flaw, jobs and work hours could have more flexibility for owls," Knutson said.

"They shouldn't be forced to get up for an 8.00 am shift."

Source: https://www.afp.com/en/news/717/night-owls-risk-dying-younger-should-sleep-study-doc-13y25o1

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by hensben(m): 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
Ok
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by eleojo23: 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
Lalastic, even you are staying up late

You are here pushing this to front page at almost 1 hour to midnight

You should take the advice too and go to bed...let me not see any new topic this night again o

We want you to be alive and be supermod till at least 2099, so go to bed now!

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by CORELDRAW(m): 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
First two guys above me...una welldone o

I dedicate this acre of land to my Nairaland sweetheart @Merryglad
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by omocalabar(m): 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
lemme log out from Nairaland and sleep then

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
undecided
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by bayocanny: 10:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
If I don't die come and kill me
Yeye people

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Chiefpriest1(m): 10:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
Lol. If this was true, all the business executives and even politicians who don't sleep at night would be dead by now!

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Iscoalarcon: 10:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
Kai oyinbo can lie Arrrgh adon believe it angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by koolcat: 10:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
yimu.!

1 Like

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Iscoalarcon: 10:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
eleojo23:
y
Y for Yoyo

2 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Pharaoh001(f): 10:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
Poo talk.... I indulged myself,sleeping late at night ...It makes me brilliant.

5 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Ellabae(f): 10:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
Might be true. But I don't feel sleepy till it's really late

1 Like

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Nobody: 10:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
angry angry angry

☣ ☠

Something must kill a man

☣ ☠

14 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by phayvoursky(m): 11:00pm On Apr 12, 2018
My neighbours wife is here with me.

We just passed through the valley we're heading to the land of greener pastures.

Its good to be an owl when you've got a dove by your side.

4 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by dust144(m): 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2018
Ok, good night.
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by fiercehillz(m): 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2018
I should really learn how to sleep on time. Sometimes I try but it is not easy at all. Na during exam sleep sweet pass grin

6 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by soberdrunk(m): 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2018
If Dangote trucks or one of the thousands of "avoidable" deaths in Nigeria doesn't get to you first......... angry

8 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Donshemzy1234: 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2018
Nonsense. If I don't sleep late I might die young.

9 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by CyberGypsy(m): 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2018
Pharaoh001:
g
g for Gigabyte

2 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
Obviously means students wey dey do overnight reading go soon die .
lol una overnight freelancers go soon die.
Phone addicts go soon die.

2 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by uchman48(m): 11:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
abeg ooo i cannot come and kill myself because of phone, abeg una goodnite ask me why abi u no get eyes to read the topic

1 Like

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Adedayo97(m): 11:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
hmm maybe not miss
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by devigblegble: 11:03pm On Apr 12, 2018
Some people work night shift ,

2 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 12, 2018
Chiefpriest1:
Lol. If this was true, all the business executives and even politicians who don't sleep at night would be dead by now!
Loud it abeg. cool that is how someone will just wake up one morning as a science student and conduct one nonsense research.

1 Like

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by FunkyAlhaji2015: 11:05pm On Apr 12, 2018
Ellabae:
Might be true. But I don't feel sleepy till it's really late
Me too. We have so much in common cheesy cheesy. Send me your picture, let's start from there. My name is James, I hardly chase. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by wayne4loan: 11:06pm On Apr 12, 2018
cheesy so I go die young grin
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by amakabel: 11:06pm On Apr 12, 2018
I plead guilty
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by Emeritus001(m): 11:07pm On Apr 12, 2018
Great study
Re: Sleeping Late Will Kill You Earlier - Study by ibkgab001: 11:07pm On Apr 12, 2018
It y

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour Compares Prices Of Drugs Between January 2023 & Now / How Do My Fiance Burn Fat In Belly? / 556 New COVID-19 Cases, 167 Discharged And 11 Deaths On July 19- (2027 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.