Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June (1113 Views)

Second Niger Bridge Contract Just Signed July 2018 / FG Hasn’t Awarded 2nd Niger Bridge Contract —Reps C’ttee / Buhari Fails To Award National Honours In Two Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by adekanmbi1986(m): 7:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
The Lagos State Government will in June award contract for the construction of the Fourth Mainland Bridge, an official said on Wednesday.

The state Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr Ade Akinsanya, gave the assurance at a ministerial press briefing at Alausa, Ikeja.

He said that the state was collating technical proposals and evaluating costs toward awarding contract.

Akinsanya said that committees had been set up to shop for quality contractors on the project.

“I do hope that before the end of May or June, we will announce the preferred bidder for the project.

“We are working very hard to select the appropriate and responsible contractor or partners that will execute the project.

“Before the end of the year, the project will commence,” he said.

The official said that the ministry was ready to partner with the Nigerian Society of Engineers to ensure quality project execution in the state.

He also said that the Oshodi-Abule Egba Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lane construction on the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway was 55 per cent completed.

Akinsanya said that the project would be completed by October.

“The contractor is working day and night even at weekends to achieve this target.

“Bear with us, if there are inconveniences on the way; we are trying to minimise the inconveniences to accelerate the work,’’ he said.

The commissioner said that the state government was committed to quality project delivery and would address concerns of some badly constructed walkways.

“On the issue of the walkway from Cement Bus Stop, I will go and check.

“We will talk to the contractor and we will go there ourselves and verify.

“No shoddy work will be allowed; there is a specification; the contractor is required to adhere to the specification,” he said.

Mr Tobun Abiodun, Chairman, Committee on Works and Infrastructure, Lagos State House of Assembly, said that the ministry had done well in road, bridge and other constructions.

“Lagosians appreciate what the ministry is doing because they have witnessed good governance in the state,” he said

http://thenationonlineng.net/lagos-to-award-fourth-mainland-bridge-contract-june/

Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by hisgrace090: 7:32pm On Apr 18, 2018
Lagos state experiencing beggining of it gloriouse days.

Ambo is performing, Abia gov never award a contract till date.
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by ClassicMG(m): 7:49pm On Apr 18, 2018
I still don't understand the design of that BRT lane on the Lagos Abeokuta express way, most especially mangoro, cement, pako dopemu and adealu will the BRT bus join the narrow road before reconnecting with the lane or what? because the road are too small now

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 18, 2018
I shudder to see the final cost and how hapless Lagosians will be made to bear the cost.
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2018
Lagos in 15-20years will be impeccable
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by Omeokachie: 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2018
This 4th mainland bridge have a way of coming up every election year...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by 0monnak0da: 9:29pm On Apr 18, 2018
i do not hink this is a priority now. At a cost of over 800 billion Naira we must ask if that is the most important thing just now.
It is a good thng nud maybe we need to spend more on people and less on "projects" particularly education, and housing.

If Lagos state spends 800 billion on Housing think we will be telling a different story
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2018
0monnak0da:
i do not hink this is a priority now. At a cost of over 800 billion Naira we must ask if that is the most important thing just now.
It is a good thng nud maybe we need to spend more on people and less on "projects" particularly education, and housing.

If Lagos state spends 800 billion on Housing think we will be telling a different story
Lagos needs more infrastructural development than human development, Lagos rank high on human development and low in infrastructures. Education and housing is being taken care of, that's if u're conversant with how Lagos run its affairs.

Lagos need infrastructures to become a real mega city n not just population wise.

But d 4th mainland bridge is a no-no for now.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by SalamRushdie: 9:54pm On Apr 18, 2018
Better award it to messrs Julius Berger if we are to have any hope that it will be completed well , if you hand it over to the good for nothing company called Hi Tech then na long thing
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by 0monnak0da: 10:00pm On Apr 18, 2018
shervydman:

Lagos needs more infrastructural development than human development, Lagos rank high on human development and low in infrastructures. Education and housing is being taken care of, that's if u're conversant with how Lagos run its affairs.

Lagos need infrastructures to become a real mega city n not just population wise.

But d 4th mainland bridge is a no-no for now.
Why must Lagos become a real mega city?
Whether or not Lagos needs more of one or the other should be debated democratically.

Whether or not Lagos should be a mega city also should subject to the same debate.

Some people sit down and conjure up an elitist mega city project without consulting anyone.

Education and housing are NOT being taken care of. That is nonsennse. What is the population of Lagos? most people, I repeat most people in Lagos live in slums , A mega city with no water
What is the water strategy in Lagos State

There is no coherent housing strategy. There is no apprenticeship strategy and the people of Lagos who are actually indigenes are quite disadvantaged educationally

The issue here is a bridge that would gulp almost the entire budget for one year.

The starting point is whatever the infrastructure needs of Lagos government alone does not have the money. Allocation of resources must be even handed. The bridge can wait.

I always say to people, Germany was levelled by bombardment during WW II and Japan was nuked today they ar no 3 and 4 economies. This is down to their Human Capital.

Lagos state needs to invest in Human Capital that will start companies like Facebook and Apple not building grandiose white elephant bridges. Such a bridge will come in its own time. Right now the main prority should be Power generation, Water security,housing. and education
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by omohayek: 10:11pm On Apr 18, 2018
0monnak0da:
Whether or not Lagos needs more of one or the other should be debated democratically.

Whether or not Lagos should be a mega city also should subject to the same debate.

Some people sit down and conjure up an elitist mega city project without consulting anyone.

Education and housing are NOT being taken care of. That is nonsennse. What is the population of Lagos? most people, I repeat most people in Lagos live in slums , A mega city with no water

There is no coherent housing strategy. There is no apprenticeship strategy and the people of Lagos who are actually indigenes are quite disadvantaged educationally

The issue here is a bridge that would gulp almost the entire budget for one year.

The starting point is whatever the infrastructure needs of Lagos government alone does not have the money. Allocation of resources must be even handed. The bridge can wait.

I always say to people, Germany was levelled by bombardment during WW II and Japan was nuked today they ar no 3 and 4 economies. This is down to their Human Capital.

Lagos state needs to invest in Human Capital that will start companies like Facebook and Apple not building grandiose white elephant bridges. Such a bridge will come in its own time. Right now the main prority should be Power generation, Water security,housing. and education
I don't see how building a bridge that will be used by nearly all Lagosians is a "white elephant", yet using everybody's taxes to subsidize the housing needs of a few is not. Besides, there is no reason in principle why the expenditure on this bridge couldn't be paid for through tolling, other than a fear of the political backlash that might ensue.

While I do think there are higher priority issues for Lagos to address, I don't think that means forfeiting infrastructure investment. In particular, a LASG that was serious about attracting the likes of Facebook and Apple wouldn't do so through government educational initiatives that might take a decade or longer to begin showing results, but by practical measures like

(1) making it easier to start and operate a business in Lagos, through the streamlining of registration and taxation, and
(2) helping companies like MainOne acquire the necessary rights of way for them to extend broadband fiber throughout the state.

Both of the above are things that can be done relatively quickly, which don't require huge outlays of taxpayer cash, and which would make a huge difference for jumpstarting Lagos as a center for technology companies.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by 0monnak0da: 10:38pm On Apr 18, 2018
omohayek:

I don't see how building a bridge that will be used by nearly all Lagosians is a "white elephant", yet using everybody's taxes to subsidize the housing needs of a few is not. Besides, there is no reason in principle why the expenditure on this bridge couldn't be paid for through tolling, other than a fear of the political backlash that might ensue.

While I do think there are higher priority issues for Lagos to address, I don't think that means forfeiting infrastructure investment. In particular, a LASG that was serious about attracting the likes of Facebook and Apple wouldn't do so through government educational initiatives that might take a decade or longer to begin showing results, but by practical measures like

(1) making it easier to start and operate a business in Lagos, through the streamlining of registration and taxation, and
(2) helping companies like MainOne acquire the necessary rights of way for them to extend broadband fiber throughout the state.

Both of the above are things that can be done relatively quickly, which don't require huge outlays of taxpayer cash, and which would make a huge difference for jumpstarting Lagos as a center for technology companies.

There is no evidence for the claim that majority of Lagosians would use the bridge? I do not think you know the Geography of Lagos if you say that. how many use the existing bridge? Do you even know the route of the proposed bridge?

Lagos state has been selling Houses since the time of Jakande it has not meant subsidy. Housing is infrastructure , duh!!

Why does investment in Housing have to mean subsidy? People would either buy or rent. Even if it did can you tell me one just example anywhere on earth where housing has not had government invovlement in a so called mega city

Government money does not have to go into buildng houses directly. It could guarantee a mortgage scheme. We need just to have the will and creativity.
We cannot escape from the Housing problem in Lagos. A sensible government anticipates future problems and takes action
Lagos State is 9000 sq kilometres and potentially holding 20 million people where are they supposed to live
No one has said forfeiting infrastructure investment.

I am happy you say taxpayer cash that means there should be a say for the taxpayer. The problem we have now in Lagos is there is no consultation. We have a rubber stamp Assembly of hand picked individuals who are playing out a script handed to them.

Lagos has genune indigenes in Epe, Ikorodu and Badagy who were never consulted on this so called Megacity project They need education, health and housing. They need water. THEY NEED JOBS. Goverment needs to think of where jobs for Lagosians will come from in the next 20 years

If a fourth mainland bridge is bever built Lagos would be fine.

In fact that money can develop a new water transport industry.
There are in my opinion more pressing infrastructure needs than a bridge for the island
A housing sector boom would be good for the economy of Lagos and many small players would benefit whereas a brdge would benefit a multinational and benefit only a few.
A housing sector boom would not be based on speculation as we saw in Span or the US 10 years ago but on real demand by real people who would live in them. That is something we can learn from Singapore

Those government initiatives that woud take a decade are inevitable. You build a house from the foundation. Educating 8-16 year olds is the most important thing all thet right of way stuff is waffle. Where are we rushing to. We must start with the basics.
Not all education is school .Apprenticeships matter and big companies also cite the workfoce quality in decisions about industry location.
If we want to attract BMW Nissan Pfizer Intel we must educate our people.

There is nothing to write home about education in Lagos it is disgraceful
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by omohayek: 11:01pm On Apr 18, 2018
0monnak0da:

There is no evidence for the claim that majority of Lagosians would use the bridge? I do not think you know the Geography of Lagos if you say that. how many use the existing bridge? Do you even know the route of the proposed bridge?
This is nothing but a silly ad-hominem: I'm certain I know Lagos better than you do, as I am an actual native who grew up there, as have ancestors of mine right up to Oba Akitoye and before him. If you have an argument to make, do so, instead of asking pointless rhetorical questions.

Lagos state has been selling Houses since the time of Jakande it has not meant subsidy. Housing is infrastructure , duh!!
This is just more nonsense. Jakande's public housing schemes were as economically unjustifiable as any subsequent ones since, and even back in the late 1980s they'd already deteriorated to the extent that saying someone lived in a "Jakande estate" was meant as an insult. It makes no economic sense to subsidize housing for a privileged few at the expense of the many, even if you choose to call doing so "infrastructure": it has never made economic sense and it never will, as subsidies are only justifiable where there are reasonable positive externalities to consider. Just come out and say you like the idea of getting artificially cheap housing for yourself.

Why does investment in Housing have to mean subsidy? People would either buy or rent. Government money doe not have to go into buildng houses. It could guarantee a mortgage scheme. We need just to have the will and creativity.
A guaranteed mortgage scheme is still a subsidy, as it means the government is taking on extra risk to keep lending rates below what they ought to be to properly account for the possibility of default.

We cannot escape from the Housing problem in Lagos. A sensible government anticipates future problems and takes action
How does any of the above justify using the taxes of all Lagos taxpayers to subsidize housing for a lucky few?

Even if it did can you tell me one just example anywhere on earth where housing has not had government invovlement, Lados State is 9000 sq kilometres and potentially holding 20 million people where are they supposed to live
No one has said forfeiting infrastructure investment.
There are better ways for government to address the issue of housing than making it artificially cheap for some people by using money taken out of the pockets of many others - money these others could have used to pay for their own housing, a fact you conveniently forget. Strengthening property rights for homeowners, cracking down hard on "omo onile" thugs, and making it easier for landlords to prosecute delinquent renters would do a lot more to boost investment in housing than any direct government intervention would.

I am happy you say taxpayer cash that means there should be a say for the taxpayer. The problem we have now in Lagos is there is no consultation.

Lagos has genune indigenes in Epe, Ikorodu and Badagy who were never consulted on this so called Megacity project They need education, health and housing. They need water. If a fourth mainland bridge is bever built Lagos would be fine.
1. I am as much a "genuine indigene" of Lagos as it is possible to be, more "genuine" than you will ever be, as you can't live in the city without stepping on soil owned by and named after my family, which was here long before there was a Nigeria (or even a Southern Nigeria). This "genuine indigene" stuff people like to fling about on here is simply nonsense in the context of taxpayer money, since it's not as if "genuine indigenes" are the only ones who pay taxes.

2. The assertion that Lagos doesn't need a 4th bridge is just that, a bald, fact-free assertion you've made and which I've already disputed. Making it again without marshalling any hard evidence won't make you any more convincing.

In fact that money can develop a new water transport industry.
There are in my opinion more pressing infrastructure needs that a bridge for the island
A housing sector bood would be god for the economy of Lagos and many small players would benefit whereas a brdge would benefit a multinational and benefit only a few
Just more bald assertions unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, assertions which also suffer the major disadvantage of being implausible in the extreme. Roads and bridges present a well-understood economic case for public spending through the positive externalities they generate, while government subsidized housing simply does no such thing, however much you might personally wish for the general Lagos taxpayer to provide you with an artificially cheap roof over your head.
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2018
author=0monnak0da post=66831718]
Lagos is already a mega city whether u like it or not. I don't know what u want us to debate here when it's obvious that Lagos rank high in human development. If u stay in Lagos, look around, I bet u'll see at some public schools n health centres.

who should they consult?..u?? Nobody's conjuring any fictitious thing. It's only in ur mind.

Education and housing are NOT being taken care of. That is nonsennse.
do u even know that Lagos has d highest education budget in d country?? Under what rock are u living?
What is the population of Lagos? most people, I repeat most people in Lagos live in slums
well, that's ur opinion and not "fact". U can shove it up ur a** ,
A mega city with no water
that's one of d reasons Lagos rank low on infrastructure, is water work not an infrastructural development??
Again, there are numerous ongoing water projects in Lagos, from mini water works that will cater for smaller populace to d grand "adiyan" water work with over 700m gallons per day. That's also infrastructural development. U can check http://www.nwsrp.gov.ng/inner.php?st=l&n=2 for water work projects in Lagos.
I don't even think u stay in Lagos, or it seems u don't know what's going on around u. Google "rent to own" for d housing and there are many skill acquisition centers scattered across d state. smiley
as I said earlier, d bridge is not needed for now, if d state can decongest Lagos road through light-rail, it'll relief 3rd mainland bridge n won't call for 4th mainland bridge. The #844b is better spent on light-rail project.

the emboldened is false, projects does not necessarily need to be funded by state govts, it can be in form of PPP among others.

boss, Lagos has huge human capital, not deficit!! It needs infrastructure to compliment d human capital, why should I study engineering in school,learn to produce machines but no electricity to power my factory Human capital n infrastructures work together n Lagos ranks high in human development.

Lagos state needs to invest in Human Capital that will start companies like Facebook and Apple not building grandiose white elephant bridges
I don't even think u have d full knowledge of "human capital" u're yapping about.
Right now the main prority should be Power generation, Water security,housing. and education
can u now see that u agree with me that we need more of infrastructural developments in Lagos?? Most of what u listed up there as our main priority are 'infrastructures".
Re: Lagos To Award Fourth Mainland Bridge Contract June by 0monnak0da: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
omohayek:

This is nothing but a silly ad-hominem: I'm certain I know Lagos better than you do, as I am an actual native who grew up there, as have ancestors of mine right up to Oba Akitoye and before him. If you have an argument to make, do so, instead of asking pointless rhetorical questions.

This is just more nonsense. Jakande's public housing schemes were as economically unjustifiable as any subsequent ones since, and even back in the late 1980s they'd already deteriorated to the extent that saying someone lived in a "Jakande estate" was meant as an insult. It makes no economic sense to subsidize housing for a privileged few at the expense of the money, even if you choose to call doing so "infrastructure": it has never made economic sense and it never will, as subsidies are only justifiable where there are reasonable positive externalities to consider. Just come out and say you like the idea of getting artificially cheap housing for yourself.

A guaranteed mortgage scheme is still a subsidy, as it means the government is taking on extra risk to keep lending rates below what they ought to be to properly account for the possibility of default.

How does any of the above justify using the taxes of all Lagos taxpayers to subsidize housing for a lucky few?

There are better ways for government to address the issue of housing than making it artificially cheap for some people by using money taken out of the pockets of many others - money these others could have used to pay for their own housing, a fact you conveniently forget. Strengthening property rights for homeowners, cracking down hard on "omo onile" thugs, and making

1. I am as much a "genuine indigene" of Lagos as it will ever get, more "genuine" than you will ever be, as you can't live in the city without stepping on soil owned by and named after my family, which was here long before there was a Nigeria (or even a Southern Nigeria). This "genuine indigene" stuff people like to fling about on here is simply nonsense in the context of taxpayer money, since it's not as if "genuine indigenes" are the only ones who pay taxes.

2. The assertion that Lagos doesn't need a 4th bridge is just that, a bald, fact-free assertion you've made and which I've already disputed. Making it again without marshalling any hard evidence won't make you any more convincing.

Just more bald assertions unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, assertions which also suffer the major disadvantage of being implausible in the extreme. Roads and bridges present a well-understood economic case for public spending through the positive externalities they generate, while government subsidized housing simply does no such thing, however much you might personally wish for the general Lagos taxpayer to provide you with an artificially cheap roof over your head.
Thank you for your biography . I will not be sharing mine because I consider it foolish and unnecessary for me to do so. It is also irrelevant. Honestly I have no interest in you or your ancestors.
the indigenes of Lagos ae a lot more than those of the Island. Lagos Island is not Lagos State
Let us focus on the topic

Ad hominem? I said I do not think you know the geography of Lagos. How that is ad hominem completely flummoxes me. I stand by that because most people in Lagos do not use 3rd Mainland Carter or Eko Bridge so How most people would use a bridge going to Ikorodu or Ijede is bizarre. Even if I am wrong there is nothing in that remark that is ad hominem. That is just a gratuitous use of the phrase.

I am not here to give my biography. There is no objective way to prove who knows Lagos more. That would be an exercise in silliness. I have no doubt that there are things you know that I do not know and probably vice versa. That claim on an anonymous forum is childish. The only indication of what you know is what you say. The majority of Lagosians do not have any business on Lagos Island not to talk of Ikoyi or VI. So how such a bridge serves the majority is an odd claim for a person who knows Lagos

Government is not a firm to make a profit and so its activities are not governed by profit and loss account analysis.
The economic case for providing housing lies in the social cost of not doing so just as for policing security education health and the other services government provides.

Otherwise we would ask what is the economic case for having a police or prosecuting a person who stole 10000 naira at much greater cost and imprisoning him for much more still.
Is that a subsidy? What is the economic case for the Army or for feeding school children?

Government is in the business of subsidizing
. To pretend otherwise is very foolish indeed. Politics is also about resource allocation debates and choosng WHAT to subsidize.
Urban Housing in million man cities is ALWAYS subsidized by government, ALWAYS Why must housing be for a few It could be for most , It just needs vision and will. Government can facilitate the construction of 1 million housing units with a 50 year plan in Lagos State building vertically

I need cheap housing for myself?? Are you OK in the head? what are we saying and what are you saying?

(1) (Reply)

FlashBack: How Policemen Invaded Okadigbo's Residence To Retrieve Senate's Mace / Nigerian Youths Should Be Talking Restructuring, Not Presidential Election / Who Is The Most Ranking Criminal In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.