Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,113 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Sarah Ladipo Moyinka's Novel Independence - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Sarah Ladipo Moyinka's Novel Independence (665 Views)

Don’t Be Afraid To Snatch Good Man From Careless Woman – Sarah Martins / I Now Understand Why Marriages End In Divorce – Shade Ladipo Says One Year After / Sarah Post The 10 Dick Sucking Commandment On Facebook (OMG Crazy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sarah Ladipo Moyinka's Novel Independence by israelsteve13: 6:24am On Apr 19, 2018
"The Hausas had a phrase for it: they called it “the pick-up-your-sticks-and-Sandals” the believe that one never got to marry his or her first love they always married someone else. But they would be reunited one way or the other in the future with their first Love; at their old age the man goes to visit his childhood sweetheart bearing gifts and presents, the woman cooks lots of food and they eat together as old time friends"

The above excerpt was from Sarah Ladipo Manyika’s literary work “Independence” artistically woven to show a brave but bittersweet love affair spanning more than two decades, the main characters being Tayo and Vannessa, the work showed great patriotism and illuminated the history of Africa in a never before imagined manner.
Independence as you read through it provokes certain train of thoughts about Love and Patriotism, about pride and Loyalty, about the programming of life, going through this work you begin to ask yourself questions like; if the world was already programmed before we were created, to go the way it is going? like our decisions and the choices we make in life were mapped out for us from the beginning of time, just like cousin Tunde who ended up pastoring a very big church overseas? Or more like Professor Omotayo ajayi who Lost the love of his life because of one Mistake? Maybe better suited as the ever blending Yusuf?
Whatever it was; Independence thought me great lessons, about First love and patriotism and trying to mold people into what they are not, Like a great play every one plays his/her part and like every great show all actors are expected to be at their very best, an atheist? A strong believer? Or a patriotic citizen
After reading through this literary Work, I took a stroll down the streets and my Legs of their own will took me to a location I was familiar with, it was where my first Love lived , a girl I came to like without reason, as I walked by their place, I recalled our last outing, I had told her I liked her and just like that before I could come to terms with it, everything came crumbling down and she was soon on my blocked list, maybe she tried to make me understand but I was too wounded to understand, she called but I was too proud to see her reasons, maybe just like when Christine was telling Tayo to spare some time for old friends, But Tayo was too in-love with Vanessa to care, just maybe am too in love with my pride to care.
But then again, that proverb comes hunting me “sticks and sandals” maybe at the very least http://www.empireshowers.com/2018/03/the-hausas-had-phrase-for-it-they.html

(1) (Reply)

20 Facts About Boys. / Female Househelp Urgently Needed In Ikotun, Lagos / Is This Still Pretence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.