Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,979 members, 7,821,419 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC (25694 Views)

Police Detain 12 Illegal Nigerians Over Refusal To Leave Kazakhstan / So Sad Now!!! I Was Denied Visa Today / These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by HigherEd: 1:33pm On Apr 21, 2018
A French appeals court has upheld a ruling denying an Algerian woman citizenship after she refused to shake the hand of a senior official.

The woman, who has not been named, said her "religious beliefs" prevented her from shaking the hand of the male official in the citizenship ceremony.

A government ruling said it showed she was "not assimilated into the French community" and denied her citizenship.

She appealed, but France's highest administrative court upheld the ruling.

The Algerian woman has been married to a French man since 2010.

African WW2 veterans become French citizens
Passport for Mali-born Paris 'hero'
At her 2016 citizenship ceremony in the south-eastern Isère region, around Grenoble, she refused to shake hands with the presiding senior official or a local politician.

In Islamic teaching, handshakes between unrelated men and women are usually prohibited.

Image copyright AFP/GETTY Macron standing with new citizens after the ceremony in Orleans
Image caption President Macron standing with new citizens after the ceremony in Orleans
The government then denied her naturalisation, saying she was "not assimilated" for avoiding the symbolic ritual.

This is one of the reasons the state can deny citizenship to the spouse of a national under the country's civil code.

The Algerian woman called the decision an "abuse of power", but the Council of State has upheld the ruling.

France's court of last appeal said the government has not "improperly applied" the law.

In 2016, a Swiss regional authority ruled that two Muslim pupils at a Swiss school had to shake hands with their female teacher, or face a fine.

Their previous exemption from the tradition had caused outrage in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-43839655?__twitter_impression=true

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 21, 2018
Extremist. Good for her. Those of them here who don't shake are bitter extremists.Their main reason for not shaking is not religious, but a hidden hatred for people who are of a different faith. Many other times a hypocritical gesture. You want to tell me she never shook hands with the French man she got married to before their marriage or what?

193 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by daviesblaze(m): 2:25pm On Apr 21, 2018
See as dem brainwash this girl life finish smiley smiley smiley
Islam!!! I Hail Thee

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by trapQ: 2:26pm On Apr 21, 2018
Good.

Muslims only have mouth in other people's countries. Wonder why she didn't marry a Saudi husband in order to get Saudi nationality.

132 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by CodeTemplar: 4:09pm On Apr 21, 2018
The same constitution that permitted you to practice Islam is same constitution that mandated the hand shake as part of the ceremony.

It is like a man who allows you. into his home on friendly terms then you get there and try overriding his own way of life with yours.

Muslims should learn to realize that the constitution gave them room to practice in the first place and this Islam isn't the first religion but one forced upon their forefathers.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by obonujoker(m): 4:15pm On Apr 21, 2018
Let her go back to Algeria or kuku go and live in Mecca....

118 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by akinszz: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
that's very good grin

20 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Ayoswit(f): 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
Woman go and reside in Islamic nations where handshakes are not allowed. Mtcheew

58 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by DoTheNeedful: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
I wonder why some Muslims want citizenship of some "infidel" countries. Why can't they just enjoy themselves among themselves?

They exploit all the advantages that are available in liberal Western societies and yet they don't make Muslim societies conducive for non-Muslims. angry Till today, Christians, Buddhists , Jews and other religions cannot practice their religion freely in Saudi.

The religion is very intolerant. I will rather be in the Quranic Hell than be a Muslim.

116 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by benthemez: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
Her village people eventually get her

11 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
X

Simply put, she is an extremist with her religion or culture and that does not fit into the security policies of Western Europe atm.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by NotBeenPaid: 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2018
Islam! She lost a golden opportunity because of her religion - She should go back to her country. Shekina

30 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Narldon: 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2018
Ok
Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by akinszz: 6:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
Ayoswit:
K
see omo oniles grin

2 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by oyetunder(m): 6:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
vely vely good. They have taught the rest of the world to wake up to their antics. Enter any Islamic country and your stomach will be shaking in case you do anything contrary to sharia traditions. But when they enter you own Country, they want to enjoy fundamental human right even while terrorising you silly.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
Good riddance

10 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Topmaike007(m): 6:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
Thank God they did not give it to her..

Na to go there go born another Zidane.

They will not stay In Africa mtcheew

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by firo08(m): 6:14pm On Apr 21, 2018
Some Africans are religious bigot... good for her. I smell Muslim...

11 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by veacea: 6:14pm On Apr 21, 2018
Am not getting this news biko.

Okay ooooooooo. This is how is will start. And this brings us back to the question; which is superior , the religious belief or the constitution of the land?

I hope my people will learn

Lemme run before somebody that wanted to wear hijab and wig at call to bar come for my head.

14 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Tijay90(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2018
Why's she going to France? She & her husband should relocate to Iraq... I hear it's very Islamic there... No handshakes & what-nots.

33 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by cescky(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2018
angry

Send her to sambisa or Zamfara..her Kind is there..

Imagine the effontry...you enter another man land..de claim right?

grin
So village people set de Algeria..na so them Bluetooth her come back grin chai

23 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by farem: 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2018
Why does she want to be a French woman when she hates everything French?

Suicide mission should not be a motivation to change citizenship

7 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by sagitariusbaby(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2018
Ijiotic woman... Make she go die jare

5 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Debazent: 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
What religion will cause in this world en ,it's only God that will deliver us

7 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by farem: 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
Why does she want to be a French woman when she hates everything French?

Suicide mission should not be a motivation to change citizenship

6 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by mutaalim(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The same constitution that permitted you to practice Islam is same constitution that mandated the hand shake as part of the ceremony.

It is like a man who allows you. into his home on friendly terms then you get there and try overriding his own way of life with yours.

Muslims should learn to realize that the constitution gave them room to practice in the first place and this Islam isn't the first religion but one forced upon their forefathers.
That's her credence which I belief her right must not be denied.
Besides France can't be compared to...........
Regards

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by boolet: 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2018
I agree. If she wants to be French, she should assimilate. It is not compulsory, so she shouldn't be desperate too.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by Hector09(m): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2018
She is very courageous and in same way foolish, if u go to rome behave like d rome

13 Likes

Re: Algerian Woman Denied French Citizenship Over Refusal For Handshake - BBC by fratermathy(m): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2018
These fanatics sef. What's so difficult in shaking someone for a few moments? They think they'll goto hell if they do it? You want French citizenship but cannot behave like the Frenchman. Such a pity! It's like those terrorists who complain of the policies of the US and UK towards them yet they still want to go there.

The irony is that many of these fanatics are simply hypocrites.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My First Flight Experience; I Won’t Lie I Almost Peed! / Tanker Goes Up In Flames While Discharging Its Content In A Petrol Station.PICS / Man Killed In Fatal Car Accident Due To Bad Road In Cross River State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.