Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale (2885 Views)

Yoruba's Have Obas Outside Yoruba Land! / Yoruba Have Made More Sacrifices For Nigeria's Survival / Awujale To Jonathan: Obas Don’t Campaign For Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 17, 2010
udezue:

My Tilapia, grin
My cousin's name is Temisa. I don't want to mention his last name but its Ibibio yet he is also Igbo. Our family's ethnic background get as it be. cheesy

So in actuality he is Igbo, Ibibio and Itsekiri while I'm just Igbo and Efik-Ibibio.

welcome to nigeria my dear udezit.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 11:42pm On May 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

[size=15pt]Yorubas have never been unified so its nothing new.[/size]

Theres actually no such things as "Yoruba".

itsekiris are are mixed with other peeps. and are related to what ever "yorubas" are

Just like binis arent yoruba but we all recognize we are related. Just like ishans arent bini but they are related, just as urhobos arent edo but are related.

Just like an Igbanke or agbor man may say hes not igbo- but recognizes hes related to "igbo".

itsekiris arent yoruba but have strong yoruba influences in their culture and language.

its not the same as the agbor/igbanke/igbo thingy because neither yorubas nor itsekiris worry themselves unduly over whether they're related or not, to the best of my knowledge. Each side faces it's own daily hustle.

and itsekiri do not have yoruba names. They have itsekiri names which sound yoruba but are uniquely itsekiri.

ishans used to be bini, i think. I wouldnt be surprised if they only separated from benin after the british conquered the city in 1897 and laid it waste.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by sjeezy8: 11:48pm On May 17, 2010
I mean it shows, some people say they are yoruba and they are CLEARLY NOT and some say they arent yoruba when they CLEARLY are.

Yorubas have never been One and all have different origins some are mixed with fulani, nupe hausa , some are mixed with edo, some even mixed ijaw and dont know it. some are msulim some a re chirstian some are shango worshippers

itsekiri people are mixed- their own ethnicity what ever it may be

its not a big deal- carry on ijebu people who want an ijebu state, even OONI of ife wants an Ife state even after IBB gave him Osun.

Continue to break up states- ko matta
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

I mean it shows, some people say they are yoruba and they are CLEARLY NOT and some say they arent yoruba when they CLEARLY are.

Yorubas have never been One and all have different origins some are mixed with fulani, nupe hausa , some are mixed with edo, some even mixed ijaw and dont know it. some are msulim some a re chirstian some are shango worshippers

itsekiri people are mixed- their own ethnicity what ever it may be

its not a big deal- carry on ijebu people who want an ijebu state, even OONI of ife wants an Ife state even after IBB gave him Osun.

Continue to break up states- ko matta

its mainly aloy emeka trying to scatter nl as usual by saying they're yoruba.

i dont think most people consider such things that important.

neither is anyone claiming the yorubas have ever been one. It's just not possible, imo.

people may be confusing their personal relationships and/or family histories with overall yoruba politicking.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by sjeezy8: 12:00am On May 18, 2010
^^^ yea dat aloy guy is a real ode.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by udezue(m): 12:00am On May 18, 2010
Titilapia, U mean Biafra?
Okay lets go with Biafra-nigeria then. grin
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by AndreUweh(m): 12:07am On May 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

^^^ yea dat aloy guy is a real ode.
It has not come to that yet. Apologise to Aloy.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 12:11am On May 18, 2010
udezue:

Titilapia, U mean Biafra?
Okay lets go with Biafra-nigeria then. grin

i simply meant you're not unique, my dear zit wink

sorry to burst your bubble cos it seems you thought you were.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 12:13am On May 18, 2010
Andre Uweh:

It has not come to that yet. Apologise to Aloy.

has aloy ever apologized to anyone on this forum?

so where is this statement coming from?

she {aloy emeka} owes the entire nigeria an apology for claiming the place.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by udezue(m): 12:25am On May 18, 2010
lol^^^ Naw dat has never been the case Tilapia.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 12:26am On May 18, 2010
^^i thought i was replying andre uweh. Didnt know he's the same person as udezit. wink

abi na udderzit.

you know the meaning of udder?
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by udezue(m): 1:06am On May 18, 2010
Indulge me Tilapia fish? cheesy
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by amadiva1: 1:33am On May 18, 2010
itshekiri people are related to yoruba via ancestry and language .however they are not yoruba in the traditional sense of the word .similarity and sameness are not the same. secondly they also have elements of edoid /edo culture this does not also make them edo .all these mixtures along with their geographical location have given rise to what we now know as the itshekiri ethnicity.as i have always posited ethnicity , also has a lot to do with identity .the itshekiri have always identified themselves as a seperate ethnicity even before the coming of the white man.i do not believe the yoruba have ever tried to dominate the itshekiri .the same  logic goes for the ikwerre and other groups in delta states whom the igbo are forcefully trying to claim .if they see themselves  as seperate from the larger igbo nation then so be it.however it seems our igbo brothers always get extra mad when the ikwerre  say they are not igbo {udezue,ezeagu ezeuche and andrew uweh take note}.it is really up to them to identify themselves as they please ,considering the fact that they also have mixed ancestry and ,origins and some do bear edoid names .by the way why do you all get so mad when these people say they are not igbo ? i really dont see yoruba people get mad when the itshekiri say they are not yoruba.afterall there has never been   a composite igbo empire prior to the coming of the british.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Nobody: 1:36am On May 18, 2010
udezue:

Indulge me Tilapia fish? cheesy

gladly my dear udder zit  smiley

An udder is an organ formed of the mammary glands of female quadruped mammals, especially ruminants such as cattle, goats, sheep and deer. The udder is a single mass hanging beneath the animal, consisting of pairs of mammary glands. In cattle there are normally two pairs, in sheep, goats and deer there is one pair, and in some animals such as pigs there are many pairs.

Udder care and hygiene in cows is important in milking, aiding uninterrupted and untainted milk production, and preventing mastitis. Products exist to soothe the chapped skin of the udder.

wiki
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by udezue(m): 3:57am On May 18, 2010
tpia.:

gladly my dear udder zit  smiley

YUMMYYYYYYYYYY. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by EzeUche(m): 4:46am On May 18, 2010
ama-diva:

itshekiri people are related to yoruba via ancestry and language .however they are not yoruba in the traditional sense of the word .similarity and sameness are not the same. secondly they also have elements of edoid /edo culture this does not also make them edo .all these mixtures along with their geographical location have given rise to what we now know as the itshekiri ethnicity.as i have always posited ethnicity , also has a lot to do with identity .the itshekiri have always identified themselves as a seperate ethnicity even before the coming of the white man.i do not believe the yoruba have ever tried to dominate the itshekiri .the same logic goes for the ikwerre and other groups in delta states whom the igbo are forcefully trying to claim .if they see themselves as seperate from the larger igbo nation then so be it.however it seems our igbo brothers always get extra mad when the ikwerre say they are not igbo {udezue,ezeagu ezeuche and andrew uweh take note}.it is really up to them to identify themselves as they please ,considering the fact that they also have mixed ancestry and ,origins and some do bear edoid names .by the way why do you all get so mad when these people say they are not igbo ? i really dont see yoruba people get mad when the itshekiri say they are not yoruba.afterall there has never been an a composite igbo empire prior to thecoming of the british.

About the Ikwerre

First, it is not up to them to say what they are and what they are not. When God created them, He did not ask them who they wanted to be. He just created them Igbo. The only way you'll know who belongs to what ethnic group in Nigeria is the name and what language the name comes from. Anybody whose name is Amadi or Onyeri, or Eke, or Odili, Wanodi (Nwanodi) does not need to tell you who he is. He is Igbo, his politics notwithstanding.

-Duru Akwukwo III Ndi Umuohiagu
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by AloyEmeka5: 6:48am On May 18, 2010
ama-diva:

itshekiri people are related to yoruba via ancestry and language .however they are not yoruba in the traditional sense of the word .similarity and sameness are not the same. secondly they also have elements of edoid /edo culture this does not also make them edo .all these mixtures along with their geographical location have given rise to what we now know as the itshekiri ethnicity.as i have always posited ethnicity , also has a lot to do with identity .the itshekiri have always identified themselves as a seperate ethnicity even before the coming of the white man.i do not believe the yoruba have ever tried to dominate the itshekiri .the same  logic goes for the ikwerre and other groups in delta states whom the igbo are forcefully trying to claim .if they see themselves  as seperate from the larger igbo nation then so be it.however it seems our igbo brothers always get extra mad when the ikwerre  say they are not igbo {udezue,ezeagu ezeuche and andrew uweh take note}.it is really up to them to identify themselves as they please ,considering the fact that they also have mixed ancestry and ,origins and some do bear edoid names .by the way why do you all get so mad when these people say they are not igbo ? i really dont see yoruba people get mad when the itshekiri say they are n
ot yoruba.afterall there has never been an  a composite igbo empire prior to thecoming of the british.

Same way there are igbos who do not give  a hoot if an ikwere person is igbo or not. I have also seen the likes of Udezue and co in yorubaland who gets mad at the sound of Ijebu or Itsekiri not being Yoruba. Becomerich/Becomericha  is one of them.Besides, I don't see why you should lump the whole igbos together because of Ezeuche and co. Statistically, igbos are the least in Nigeria when it comes to ethnic identity; they are more likely to judge you individually than your ethnic identity so, i don't see why you should turn the table around as it suits you.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by AloyEmeka5: 6:50am On May 18, 2010
For those who want to die, let them go an die. I repeat, [size=16pt]ITSEKIRIS ARE YORUBAS.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by amadiva1: 8:47am On May 18, 2010
@aloy emeka and ezeuche .firstly i hope you realise that the Good Lord did not name any ethnicity .from what my bible tells me Adam gave names to animals and his wife eve but no ethnic group was named {go figure ].secondly how has what Ive said suit me? i have used the same argument for both itshekiri and the ikwerre/delta igbo groups.lastly you have just buttressed my sentiments with your outbursts. @ ALOYWHEELS OR ALOYEMEKA remember NL is a place where people express opinions and that's exactly what it remains so please nobody is going to die if you call itshekiris yoruba .if i have generalised about the igbo forgive me but it seems that is the opinion of most igbo on NL.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Depilot(m): 9:05am On May 18, 2010
I do not care where the Itsekiris are from, as long as they are not igbo, I'm fine.

I was in Ghana not too long; when I attempted to change my naira to the local currency I was turned down.
I was told that the Igbo boys have messed things up in Ghana just like in the rest of the world.
They print fake naira,and fly to Ghana to go shopping.

As far as I'm concern, less Igbo in Nigeria less 419 super stars.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by Katsumoto: 10:25am On May 18, 2010
Depilot:

I do not care where the Itsekiris are from, as long as they are not igbo, I'm fine.

I was in Ghana not too long; when I attempted to change my naira to the local currency I was turned down.
I was told that the Igbo boys have messed things up in Ghana just like in the rest of the world.

That was an unnecessary digression.
Re: Yoruba Have Never Been One -awujale by henry101(m): 8:28pm On May 18, 2010
Depilot:

You can start by shooting any Igbo man close to you, confused fool!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abia Gov, Orji, Quits PPA / Pius Ayim Pius Appointed As New Secretary To Thel Government Of Federation (sgf) / Nigeria Trumps S' Africa Emerges Largest Manufacturing Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.