Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,525 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide (32876 Views)

NLC Slams Governors’ Forum, Demands N66,500 Minimum Wage / Tinubu Settles For Ambode, Despite Aregbesola’s Plot - ThisDay / PDP Settles For Atiku & Fayose As Presidential Candidate & VP Respectively - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Temptee101(m): 10:51am On Apr 27, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

That is outrageous.

The Labour unions are being so unrealistic.
Nigeria's minimum wage should not exceed 19,800.
Nigeria is a sick and broken third-world country for crying out loud and should not try to imitate already established countries like the USA.

We should all be patient till the country is healthy before we can enjoy it's true wealth.
I have to be very honest with you, i have exhausted all my patience reading your insensitive and ill-thought rants every time.

Please just shut up because you are like a virus ready to infect the right thinking Nigerians around
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by enomakos(m): 10:57am On Apr 27, 2018
400billionman:
Leave the mumus. Nigerian youth are lazy
very true
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by tballeyy(m): 10:58am On Apr 27, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

That is outrageous.

Nigeria is a sick and broken third-world country for crying out loud and should not try to imitate already established countries like the USA.

We should all be patient till the country is healthy before we can enjoy it's true wealth.
I can see that u are also sick like Nigeria.

Enemy of good things
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by enomakos(m): 10:58am On Apr 27, 2018
CofOLandOfPeace:

The plight of Nigerian workers does not move the government a bit, and the politicians keep fattening up their pocket/bank accounts.
Please check our signature in blue below and contact us by visiting our Ikeja office. Click on the WhatsApp link to directly chat us or call the phone line.
I agreed with you
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Killurself: 11:01am On Apr 27, 2018
I tire for Nigerians gov want to pay #66500 Salary minimum wage, people started to complain what is there problem. OK, we should be paying senator huge amount for saying hi and nil but you that working never hard paying pea nut allowance and salary but you keep on complain that food cost will rise now food cost no rise ? 16years back I collected #8.600 as salary but I can't buy matrass until I do contribution with 3 people before I buy matrass, now you can buy mattras and with little money in your pocket as new employees. pls we're waiting for the money to be implement very fast
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by qleap2all(m): 11:02am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:
Organised labour are been unrealistic with their demands, with the current realities of the economy the federal government can't afford to pay such not to talk about state govt.
In as much as the wage needs an upward review, 66,500 is not realistic
Even their 3 criteria is faulty, what about issue of productivity - GDP, mono economy and inflation.
They should rather call for more about diversification of the economy base from oil, incentives to go into Agric, subsidy on health, transport, education, housing etc.
Sooner or later, the market women, land Lords /property owners, schools would increase their prices with new wage increament! Back to previous status.
We must increase productivity in this country
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by rainylad(f): 11:06am On Apr 27, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
That is not an excuse, even if the minimum wage is N5,000 some politicians won't pay, that's we told y'all Sowore2019, but instead you are telling the youth to be realistic and continue this broken system, you realize N66,500 is just $190 #takeitback from LGA to Presidency, enough of these leaders that think paying their workers $50 p/month is OK,

..and who told you Sowore will pay whatever he said he would??...because he said so??..pleaseeee!!!!..y'all need to learn from experience..seriously.

..Listen up dude,no politician or individual can pay jack or get Nigeria out of the doldrum she has found herself,not with the useless structure Nigeria operstes with!!!....restructuring or secession is the way forward..Any other thing na pure wash,and that includes Sowore..

..thats all.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by maisauki: 11:23am On Apr 27, 2018
TheBlessedMAN:

The last food I told you I ate in 2014 before the demential dullard became president was fried rice and chicken, but unfortunately, I never eat anything close to that in ages. Infact I don't even know what fried rice looks like again.

who's demented now; you that can't remember fried rice looks like just in d spate of three years but have money to buy phone and subscribe for Mb?
#lazyyouths
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Seyzi(m): 11:25am On Apr 27, 2018
what a shithole
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by maisauki: 11:28am On Apr 27, 2018
what workers supposed to ask for they don't now they're asking for higher pay. have they forgotten udoji days? higher pay resulted in inflation which their money was unable to meet at the long run
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by 1stNumeroUno: 11:32am On Apr 27, 2018
Minimum wage to N65k+ won't 'cure' our problems. Remember elementary Economics teaches that increased wages push inflation high. What I think Labour organisation should push for is total infrastructure overhaul (over an agreed period of time) - Electricity should be available and cheap, medi-care should be everywhere and affordable also, education should be improved to world-class standard at least to secondary level. Least I forget affordable housing (through public-private collaboration and good property policies). Then FOOD security!

Note that the all the above are basic socio-economic need of everyday man and satisfying them is crucial to his daily struggle.

For those claiming that Nigeria is rich enough to pay such amount, you're right - because our thieving political class has proved it. But remember that our resource (oil money) being stolen today will not be available and relevant forever.
Also, if we think increased minimum wage will put us (populace) at par in status with the political class - it's a blatant lie.
Why?
Minimum wage will practically surge project and product prices upward, then more money for them to 'corner'. Next, we go back to status quo - asking for increased minimum wage; maybe N150k

Summarily, let Labour organisations concert their struggle for better living standards. Their fight for equality is short changing the masses.

#wished_it_could_be_shortened.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by maisauki: 11:34am On Apr 27, 2018
what I'll suggest is that they should press it on d government to control prices of basic needs
bread sellers association of noplace can just wake up and say they've increased their prices. ditto pepper sellers. transporters? d worst!
so workers should impress it on d government to up their game in d aspect of price regulations
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Youngzedd(m): 11:38am On Apr 27, 2018
This is what you get when motor park touts leads an organisation.

After going through most of the comments in this thread, it is now obvious that we have many educated illiterates in Nigeria.

Common secondary school economics should make you understand that this is a suicide mission.

Improve the economy and leave the minimum wage alone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by StaffofOrayan(m): 11:41am On Apr 27, 2018
That's the whole point of #takeitback, from LGA to senatorial districts to governorship to Presidency,
Restructuring and secession are just pipe dreams with old men leading us, no Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, South South, Middle Belt politician cares about that one bit, heck if Nigeria restructures, the young would still fight to drive these old men out of power, there is no going around it. These are the things the youth should be fighting for instead of trying to pull each other down, if we don't support the youth who the heck would?? wake the hell up abeg!
Minumum wage in some 3rd world countries;
Nigeria............$50
Afghanistan.....$95
Bangladesh.......$68
Benin................$74
Botswana..........$60
Burkina Faso.......$68
Cameroun........$74
Cote d Ivoire.....$72......You get the point right? Nigeria should be competing with Better countries not paying less than these shitholes stop fighting for your oppressors abeg it's disgusting, you should be filled with anger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

rainylad:

..and who told you Sowore will pay whatever he said he would??...because he said so??..pleaseeee!!!!..y'all need to learn from experience..seriously.

..Listen up dude,no politician or individual can pay jack or get Nigeria out of the doldrum she has found herself,not with the useless structure Nigeria operstes with!!!....restructuring or secession is the way forward..Any other thing na pure wash,and that includes Sowore..

..thats all.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by LordAdam16: 11:43am On Apr 27, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
There is no money to pay workers $190 per month? If the government was white and pays the Nigerian workers $50 that is currently paid, we would all scream racism, It costs over N600 Billion to run NASS, and there is no inflation, Sowore was on a radio station and the presenter asked him if Nigeria can really have 24hrs electricity, stop parroting this 'government can't afford it'' nonsense, there is enough money to spend $3Billion looking for fuel, $1Billion to buy jets etc, abeg fight for your fellow Nigerians

It does not cost N600b to run NASS. Stop typing nonsense to prove your point.

Will you pay a cleaner or a restaurant food vendor (salesgirl) N66,500 if you had a business in this current Nigeria? Or how do you guys reason?

If you want to fight wastage and corruption, fight it, don't use it as an excuse to ask for an untenable wage structure.

-Lord

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by LordAdam16: 11:46am On Apr 27, 2018
rainylad:

..thats all.

Don't mind them. That's how they'd elect him, then in 2023, they'd be disturbing our ears that they made a mistake.

-Lord
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:
Organised labour are been unrealistic with their demands, with the current realities of the economy the federal government can't afford to pay such not to talk about state govt.
But they can afford to pay senators millions of naira
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by teflonjake(m): 11:59am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:

But N13,500,000 per head is realistic?

N13,500,000/N66,500= 203 civil servants salary paid.

And one civil servant does the job of 109 jobless senators.

Merci.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by LordAdam16: 12:01pm On Apr 27, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
That's the whole point of #takeitback, from LGA to senatorial districts to governorship to Presidency,
Restructuring and secession are just pipe dreams with old men leading us, no Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, South South, Middle Belt politician cares about that one bit, heck if Nigeria restructures, the young would still fight to drive these old men out of power, there is no going around it. These are the things the youth should be fighting for instead of trying to pull each other down, if we don't support the youth who the heck would?? wake the hell up abeg!
Minumum wage in some 3rd world countries;
Nigeria............$50
Afghanistan.....$95
Bangladesh.......$68
Benin................$74
Botswana..........$60
Burkina Faso.......$68
Cameroun........$74
Cote d Ivoire.....$72......You get the point right? Nigeria should be competing with Better countries not paying less than these shitholes stop fighting for your oppressors abeg it's disgusting, you should be filled with anger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

Yes, and the FG AFAIK proposed a 45k minimum wage. Which is around $125 at the real exchange rate of 360/$.

https://guardian.ng/news/govt-to-propose-n45000-wage-meets-labour-today/

This is reasonable as the 18,000 minimum wage was made when exchange rate was 150/$. Around $120.

So where is this 66,500 number coming from?

I have never seen you guys for once protest the state governors' inability to pay the 18,000 minimum wage even after the bail out from the FG. But if it's to stay online and insult other people you guys would be quick to raise your hands.

No one really thinks about this nation. Everybody is in a hurry to eat their share, stability be damned. And you guys conveniently use the politicians as scapegoats.

We all know 66,500 minimum wage is unsustainable, but you are hoping the politicians say yes. When they say yes and they aren't able to meet up, you turn around and cry foul.

-Lord

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Ihateyoumod: 12:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
A country tht can afford to pay 109 senators 13.5 million in a month minus monthly salary and constituency project money of 200million....is not a small country. Just tht a few people have sunk their hands n d cookie jar n hve refused to let it go
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by dudekennyboi(m): 12:13pm On Apr 27, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

That is outrageous.

You are the one being outrageous

Go research on the salary + bonus those established countries pays their Senators, compare it with Nigeria they you'll know that 66,500 is still a peanut.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by ALEXIS0240: 12:14pm On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:
People like you are the reason many Nigerian's are suffering.is it your money;is Nigeria broke?some selected few are sharing billions for doing nothing.you are there telling yourself nonsense.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:16pm On Apr 27, 2018
I see you are a joker, the link you sent me is dated 2016, so you see politicians don't care.
Of course politicians are the scapegoats, don't you understand they are CIVIL SERVANTS? we sent them there to serve us and we are saying N18,000 is a joke, even N65,000 is a joke, take out rent, school fees, feeding transport, etc, dude you should be fighting for your future not climbing over yourself to defend civil servants turned overlord.
I would leave you with a poem by Henry Barlow, between an African politician and his driver

[b]"Today I did my share in building the nation.
I drove a Permanent Secretary to an important, urgent function
In fact, to a luncheon at the Vic.

The menu reflected its importance
Cold bell beer with small talk,
Then fried chicken with niceties
Wine to fill the hollowness of the laughs
Ice-cream to cover the stereotype jokes
Coffee to keep the PS awake on the return journey.

I drove the Permanent Secretary back.
He yawned many times in the back of the car
Then to keep awake, he suddenly asked,
Did you have any lunch friend?
I replied looking straight ahead
And secretly smiling at his belated concern
That I had not, but was slimming!

Upon which he said with a seriousness
That amused more than annoyed me,
Mwananchi, I too had none!
I attended to matters of state.
Highly delicate diplomatic duties you know,
And friend, it goes against my grain,
Causes me stomach ulcers and wind.

Ah, he continued, yawning again,
The pains we suffer in building the nation! So the PS had ulcers too!
My ulcers I think are equally painful
Only they are caused by hunger,
Not sumptuous lunches!

So two nation builders
Arrived home this evening
With terrible stomach pains
The result of building the nation-in different ways!"

-- Henry Barlow --[/b]

LordAdam16:

Yes, and the FG AFAIK proposed a 45k minimum wage. Which is around $125 at the real exchange rate of 360/$.

https://guardian.ng/news/govt-to-propose-n45000-wage-meets-labour-today/

This is reasonable as the 18,000 minimum wage was made when exchange rate was 150/$. Around $120.

So where is this 66,500 number coming from?

I have never seen you guys for once protest the state governors' inability to pay the 18,000 minimum wage even after the bail out from the FG. But if it's to stay online and insult other people you guys would be quick to raise your hands.

No one really thinks about this nation. Everybody is in a hurry to eat their share, stability be damned. And you guys conveniently use the politicians as scapegoats.

We all know 66,500 minimum wage is unsustainable, but you are hoping the politicians say yes. When they say yes and they aren't able to meet up, you turn around and cry foul.

-Lord
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Franky9584(m): 12:17pm On Apr 27, 2018
am tired of reading it online... from when will it be effective
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by God2man(m): 12:18pm On Apr 27, 2018
FG will pay. Shikena!
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by LordAdam16: 12:22pm On Apr 27, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
I see you are a joker, the link you sent me is dated 2016, so you see politicians don't care.
Of course politicians are the scapegoats, don't you understand they are CIVIL SERVANTS? we sent them there to serve us and we are saying N18,000 is a joke, even N65,000 is a joke, take out rent, school fees, feeding transport, etc, dude you should be fighting for your future not climbing over yourself to defend civil servants turned overlord.
[s]I would leave you with a poem by Henry Barlow, between an African politician and his driver

[b]"Today I did my share in building the nation.
I drove a Permanent Secretary to an important, urgent function
In fact, to a luncheon at the Vic.

The menu reflected its importance
Cold bell beer with small talk,
Then fried chicken with niceties
Wine to fill the hollowness of the laughs
Ice-cream to cover the stereotype jokes
Coffee to keep the PS awake on the return journey.

I drove the Permanent Secretary back.
He yawned many times in the back of the car
Then to keep awake, he suddenly asked,
Did you have any lunch friend?
I replied looking straight ahead
And secretly smiling at his belated concern
That I had not, but was slimming!

Upon which he said with a seriousness
That amused more than annoyed me,
Mwananchi, I too had none!
I attended to matters of state.
Highly delicate diplomatic duties you know,
And friend, it goes against my grain,
Causes me stomach ulcers and wind.

Ah, he continued, yawning again,
The pains we suffer in building the nation! So the PS had ulcers too!
My ulcers I think are equally painful
Only they are caused by hunger,
Not sumptuous lunches!

So two nation builders
Arrived home this evening
With terrible stomach pains
The result of building the nation-in different ways!"

-- Henry Barlow --[/b][/s]

It was in 2016, so?

The minimum wage discussions had been on since then. All stakeholders from the FG, State/LGA, labor, and private sector are been consulted. Of course, the delay owes to politics but the bottom line is that discussions are ongoing and N66,500 is not feasible.

A million poems will not change that.

-Lord
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Horus(m): 12:23pm On Apr 27, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwb8_Cmwnzc

Should The Nigerian Government Increase The Minimum Wage?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by ALEXIS0240: 12:28pm On Apr 27, 2018
maisauki:
who's demented now; you that can't remember fried rice looks like just in d spate of three years but have money to buy phone and subscribe for Mb?
#lazyyouths
Mr Judge...Do you know the kind of phone he is using;do you even know if he borrowed data?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:32pm On Apr 27, 2018
Ask for clarification if you don't understand what minimum wage means, it's calculated hourly, if you hire a sales girl, you pay her for the hours you can afford, that's why developed and developing world pay wages per the hour, that is why people can afford to have 2 or even 3 jobs at once abroad, when you employ a sales girl, she shouldn't work for you for 30 days and get N18,000. That is slavery,
My bad on the quote it was N125 Billion running cost for 2017 not N600B, up from N115B in 2016

http://venturesafrica.com/here-is-what-we-know-about-the-budget-passed-by-the-national-assembly/

LordAdam16:

It does not cost N600b to run NASS. Stop typing nonsense to prove your point.

Will you pay a cleaner or a restaurant food vendor (salesgirl) N66,500 if you had a business in this current Nigeria? Or how do you guys reason?

If you want to fight wastage and corruption, fight it, don't use it as an excuse to ask for an untenable wage structure.

-Lord
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by rayornb(m): 12:32pm On Apr 27, 2018
Are they for real?
In this Economic mess we found ourselves as a Nation presently?
OK, I get the humour, they push 66k, FG will drag it and it'll end up in 30k plus.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Iamthoney(m): 12:54pm On Apr 27, 2018
Cut down on the salaries and bonuses of those senators and nass members then this 66500 will be a realistic thing...but first pay up all the arrears of the current minimum wage...hunger dey we country.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by ultron12345: 1:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
There is no money to pay workers $190 per month? If the government was white and pays the Nigerian workers $50 that is currently paid, we would all scream racism, It costs over N600 Billion to run NASS, and there is no inflation, Sowore was on a radio station and the presenter asked him if Nigeria can really have 24hrs electricity, stop parroting this 'government can't afford it'' nonsense, there is enough money to spend $3Billion looking for fuel, $1Billion to buy jets etc, abeg fight for your fellow Nigerians

let me ask you. If u own a business, will u pay ur cleaner N65000. If u do so, what do u think will happen to ur products and services. The prices will increase. If everyone in the country is made to pay minimum wage, prices of goods and services increase, and when everybody earns such high minimum wage, they end up paying more for those goods and services causing inflation and crashed in naira value. This increase will not help matters, at the end of everything, the price hike will cancel out the increase, when minimum wage is N10000, rice was N100 per cup, if that wage is increased to N1million, rice will increase to N10000 per cup, what's the difference, nothing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Rejects Lauretta Onochie As INEC Commissioner / US Soldiers Singing Nigerian National Anthem (Video) / Wike Bans EndSARS Protest In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.