Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? (13752 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Can A Third Class Degree Holder Get A Job??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by vicfy(m): 8:33am On Apr 30, 2018
Its very possible bro...just acquire other professional certifications. Most oil servicing companies value them more than our Nigerian degree.
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by fimi: 8:34am On Apr 30, 2018
With a strong connection, it is very possible. I have friends that earns a huge salary with a third. No be naija we dey? Dnt mind d gullible people telling u its nt possible... I repeat.. WITH A STRONG CONNECTION, u are very good to go. PEACE

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by Osaronicole: 8:44am On Apr 30, 2018
How please? I will like to know too. Thanks

uote author=rozayx5 post=67146020]Go into cryptocurrency build your portfolio

FCK oil firms

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by Franky9584(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2018
very very possible.... even a wreck holder can.... 9ja for u
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by DNA9(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2018
gifted166:
You stand a better chance if you go for skills/certificate courses like welding, safety, crane operator, escavator, grinder, etc. Oil companies employ more of skilled workers than the so called 1st class and 2nd class. Too bad people that knows nothing about oil company operations are the ones giving advice about employment in the oil industry

This the only sensible comments have seen. Our young people are jst fun of talking carelessly what they know less about..
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by xfire: 9:23am On Apr 30, 2018
Strong connection on its own will not get a third class graduate into the oil and gas industry except you are referring to local ajegunle or ojuelegba oil and gas business run by one man. Who told you those with first and even 2nd class upper do not have connections too?

Can a fresh third class graduate make it into the industry? The answer is NO, not just in Nigeria but anywhere in world. Connection won't help. Schlumberger, ExxonMobil, even our own Sahara Energy or Lekoil won't ordinarily recruit a 3rd class graduate. Most of these companies have recruitment policies and won't ordinarily violate them, even for contract staffing. The world is saturated with first class and 2.1 grads with good MSc that also have good connections such that considering a third class graduate is near impossible if not outrightly impossible. They may be one or two exceptions (like any other situation in life) but it doesn't change the fact that it is a general NO.

That being said, does it mean a 3rd class graduate can never make it to the industry in the course of his or her career? Of course it is possible. As you garner experience and learn specific skills, the influence of your degree on getting a job lessens. Most shopfloor offshore or onshore jobs like plant operator, roundabouts, crane operators, rope access technicians, scaffolders, divers, etc do not require university degree. They are learnt trade or skills with associated certifications.

In addition, as you gain accumulative experience of over 10 years, the influence of your degree wanes significantly. For a civil engineering graduate, I will advise him to either:

(1) change career path entirely and learn a skill that is useful in the oil industry (he may not find fulfillment cos there is hardly career growth in this route)

(2) Gain structural engineering experience and hope to join the oil industry in another 8 to 10 years.

Even then, it is still not a guarantee. Like jarushub said, it is best not to be fixated on the oil and gas industry.

Cheers!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by kenodrill: 9:31am On Apr 30, 2018
Hence you have the required experience believe you me is as easy as ABC.....

Modified

If you have not gotten any experience I advice you look for an indigenous servicing firm apply as a volunteer worker for at least one year.if you do well in the course of your apprenticeship they might absorb you directly.
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by MaziOmenuko: 9:32am On Apr 30, 2018
jaybee3:

I would have sworn they have structures on rigs, No?

I agree that the opportunities are somewhat limited but engineering skills are easily transferable

They do, the complexities of rig structures require extreme expertise, that's why civil engrs find it hard to break in (especially those from naija universities).
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by IBpaul(m): 9:47am On Apr 30, 2018
maximus4455:
Rinitak Construction Limited

Geophysics is the application of physics into probing into the subsurface without necessarily drilling. So you can safe yourself a lot of cost before drilling that bad hole, even for engineering purposes.
You can tell the depth of the aquifer, thickness and other information before spending fortune in drilling.

Contact us today for your

Groundwater geophysical survey
Engineering geophysical survey
Geotechnical engineering works
Borehole drilling
Water treatment installation
Soil test and piling

Get an expert today and go to bed 08038200676,08161830349

Getting ur contact how possible
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 30, 2018
One way you can get into the O&G industry is by learning a skill, for example as a Civil Engineer you should know how to use autocad, pdms, sacs etc. to mention a few. Package your CV very well, apply for job opportunities in the O&G industry; when you get an invite, they will interview you & test these skills, trust me the moment you can prove to them you know how to use either of them, you will be employed.

Thank me later!
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by vioment: 10:45am On Apr 30, 2018
By being very knowledgeable and comfortable with the process of operations. Knowing the accessories, materials, and uses. Enough reading, months in and years out; it never stops anyway.
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by maximus4455(m): 10:54am On Apr 30, 2018
IBpaul:

Getting ur contact how possible
you can call any of the above numbers
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 11:51am On Apr 30, 2018
vioment:
By being very knowledgeable and comfortable with the process of operations. Knowing the accessories, materials, and uses. Enough reading, months in and years out; it never stops anyway.
Check my signature in blue below and contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link.
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by rozayx5(m): 11:59am On Apr 30, 2018
Osaronicole:
How please? I will like to know too. Thanks

uote author=rozayx5 post=67146020]Go into cryptocurrency build your portfolio

FCK oil firms

study coins in ICO

coins with potential and good projects

you can make 1000% or more if your smart
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by Leosmart855: 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
maximus4455:
Rinitak Construction Limited

Geophysics is the application of physics into probing into the subsurface without necessarily drilling. So you can safe yourself a lot of cost before drilling that bad hole, even for engineering purposes.
You can tell the depth of the aquifer, thickness and other information before spending fortune in drilling.

Contact us today for your

Groundwater geophysical survey
Engineering geophysical survey
Geotechnical engineering works
Borehole drilling
Water treatment installation
Soil test and piling

Get an expert today and go to bed 08038200676,08161830349
Sir, am an Applied Geophysics graduate of Unical and a pcm anticipating July batch b. Is it possible to run an intern program in your company?
Re: Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? by stpat1(m): 8:18pm On Apr 30, 2018
My dear, there is no big deal in working in an oil firm and there is also no big deal getting a job in the oil firm.

I would have loved to educate you on how these stuffs work. If you have what it takes in terms of certification, training and experience, you will definitely get a place in the industry.
I can tell you about 5 people that I know that have 3rd class and work in the oil industry.

Just get enough certification and relevant training and you are good to go.

(1) (2) (Reply)

50 Common Interview Questions And Answers / Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff / Police Recruitment 2018: JAMB Reacts To Claim That Candidates Wrote Exam In Arab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.