Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder (11746 Views)

Peugeot 406: How Reliable? / How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 7:24am On May 19, 2010
My people I want Know how reliable Nissan Pathfinder 2001-2003 is. In terms of fuel economy, maintanance and ruggedness. Pls your help will be appreciated.
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by chelseabmw(m): 5:14pm On Jul 04, 2010
a very strongh car

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by KunleA2(m): 7:15pm On Jul 04, 2010
gist4real:

My people I want Know how reliable Nissan Pathfinder 2001-2003 is. In terms of fuel economy, maintanance and ruggedness. Pls your help will be appreciated.

My vote will be for a 2001/2002 Nissan Pathfinder with a manual 5 speed transmission. 2 wheel/ 4 wheel drive is fine. Very strong engine. Very strong car. Chain drive engine. You never run into the problem of broken timing belt.

Super rugged. You never go wrong. Just maintain it well. You will be very happy.

Good luck.
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2010
Chelseabmw and Kunle thanks to you guys for taking time out to answer me but please what of in terms of Fuel economy? Does it Consume much fuel? Please Siena, Inspired and other experts in the house please i need your view/comments.
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by KunleA2(m): 9:35pm On Jul 04, 2010
Being a jeep, of course the petrol consumption cannot be like a car. I will equate it to 4Runner and i know its better than a Montero as far as fuel economy goes. Its also cheap(er) to maintain than all of them. Expect around 18-20miles per gallon (mixed driving).

That is roughly 9km per liter.

Good luck
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by nuclearboy(m): 9:49pm On Jul 04, 2010
@Kunle-A:

Any ideas about 05/06 models?

I have both (one standard specs, 2nd leather,dvd etc) bought simply due to the beauty and acceleration but now hear they bring up transmission issues (brutally expensive as they say) though not confirmed personally.

Only prob I've noted is with the fuel guage which has a mind of its own and keeps tripping the "service engine soon" light. Any info?
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by KunleA2(m): 10:01pm On Jul 04, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Kunle-A:

Any ideas about 05/06 models?

I have both (one standard specs, 2nd leather,dvd etc) bought simply due to the beauty and acceleration but now hear they bring up transmission issues (brutally expensive as they say) though not confirmed personally.

Only prob I've noted is with the fuel guage which has a mind of its own and keeps tripping the "service engine soon" light. Any info?

You took the word right out of my mouth. i was going to post some info on Nissan Transmission later in the day or tomorrow. I was at a Nissan dealership few days ago to speak with one of the guys there.

Nissan (especially Murano) have specially formulated transmission fluid for their cars especially from 2003 and up. Any wrong fluid or incompatible ones will ruin the car's transmission.

That is why people are having issues with the Murano cos its a "CVT" (Continuous Variable Transmission) and has to use a Nissan CVT fluid or else.

Please find the chart below for your specific application.

The CVT fluid is about $19.99/quart
Others are about $15.00/Quart.

Don't top off your tranny with anything else or you will pay.

How's dem ice? grin

Later.

Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by coldwater(m): 10:12pm On Jul 04, 2010
Kunle A , what of 2004 Model 4WD performnce? Are they also as rugged as others?
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by nuclearboy(m): 10:24pm On Jul 04, 2010
ICE is fine - just got a perkins/stamford 65kv (soundproof) and should be going up to 24 compressors from the 9 I had before. Only thing is this speed thing which is making me consider a 3 phase 10 hp power unit (should do under 3 hours) - but the cost? shocked I just hope it won't break the bank or my back

Any way you can help get some of this fluid across? On my knees here cos the joy of that amazing acceleration fades once you remember the transmission may go konk.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by KunleA2(m): 11:08pm On Jul 04, 2010
coldwater:

Kunle A , what of 2004 Model 4WD performnce? Are they also as rugged as others?

The 2001-2004 Pathfinder are virtually the same thing. Expect nothing less in terms of reliability and performance. Very good Jeeps. You should be able to get a good one around N2.1-N2.3m depending on specs. Much more rugged than a Murano and has same engine while you are paying less. Its also good car to fly "undercover". Nobody is trying to snatch it or hassle you and shake you down because they think you are rich. Its the best of both worlds. You can actually have your cake and eat it too. grin

But remember the overall weight of a 4WD is slightly higher than a 2WD (cos of additional 4WD components like the transfer case). Hence you might be getting something like 8km/liter out of the 4WD.

But you are betting your money right, getting the pathfinder. Enjoy the ride and Good luck.

nuclearboy:

ICE is fine - just got a perkins/stamford 65kv (soundproof) and should be going up to 24 compressors from the 9 I had before. Only thing is this speed thing which is making me consider a 3 phase 10 hp power unit (should do under 3 hours) - but the cost? shocked I just hope it won't break the bank or my back

Any way you can help get some of this fluid across? On my knees here cos the joy of that amazing acceleration fades once you remember the transmission may go konk.

I think you might be better off running 3PH than a bunch of 1PH compressors. The saving in time of ice formation. Lesser amperage and noise level of the 3PH compressors will be worth it. Just my opinion. More grease to your elbow. Shall soon join the bandwagon. God willing.

As per the fluids, i will see whats the best cost effective way to get it across. I just had a shipment out last week and it actually contains fluids for a Honda for another NL. As long as you don't top off the tranny fluid with something else and the oil level is not low, you should be fine for now.
As always you have my contact.
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by nuclearboy(m): 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2010
Thanks. Agree about the 3PH. Just they have that high startup cost and you have little (if any) help from PHCN which is so much cheaper as power.

One issue - I find the four wheel PF consumes so much more fuel than the 2 wheel. Rather than 4WD, the 2WD (at least the 05 upwards models - don't know about the older ones) has something they call VDC (vehicle dynamic control) which by default is on and limits the car to 268 HP or something like that. If you get stuck, switch it off (just press the button) and the car roars to 310HP. I haven't seen anyplace it doesn't climb out of and I have interests in the bush (small farm).

Makes me wonder - why pay extra for the 4WD only to spend more on fuel yet not particularly gaining anything. Most people here wouldn't dream of taking even a 2001 PF through a farm road so why 4WD. Worth considering for anyone wanting to buy a 4wd.
Re: How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder by KunleA2(m): 11:38pm On Jul 04, 2010
For the most part, 90% or so people would not need a 4WD function anyway. But people still cry for them not knowing that its almost useless. Most of our roads are flat. Camry's and Accords don't have 4WD and they do fine everywhere. The Pathfinder is great cos of its height and ground clearance. Our roads are not the best but you seldom need to use the 4WD anyway.

I am just a dealer, whatever the customer wants is what they get. I can only advise. At least i owe them that much.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars / If It Works, It Ain't Stupid / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.