Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,130 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting (17487 Views)

Wizkid Drags Buhari And Trump On Twitter / PHOTOS: Festus Keyamo, Ngige In First Official Duty Together / What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by bennynaza(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2018
A good piece of history:
"Between 1983 and 1985, Peter Onu of Nigeria was Acting Secretary-General of the OAU. At the 1985 Summit in Addis Ababa, statesmen like Julius Nyerere, President of Tanzania, lobbied for his election as substantive Secretary-General. However, there was a major stumbling block to Peter Onu’s candidature: his Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari, was campaigning against him. Buhari claimed: “This generation of Nigerians and indeed future generations have no other country than Nigeria.” But when the crunch came, his allegiance to Nigeria disappeared. In the election of the OAU Secretary-General in 1985, Buhari voted against Nigeria and for Niger instead. He secured the election of Ide Oumarou, a Fulani man from Niger; as opposed to an Igbo man from Nigeria. By so doing, Buhari became the first and only Head of State in the history of modern international relations to vote against his country in favour of his tribe."
Culled from Vanguard, February 3, 2015

1 Like

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Jeezuzpick(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2018
Okoroawusa:
The best President Nigeria ever had

Mo rò pé o ti mu sépè.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by jessejey: 3:25pm On Apr 29, 2018
nothing goes for nothing. you can't get help from them unless you have something to offer in return
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Okoroawusa: 3:26pm On Apr 29, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

Mo rò pé o ti mu sépè.
Iwo nko?
codeine ti affect opolo ti e
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by sircardinal: 3:28pm On Apr 29, 2018
They should please discuss how to make a dollar to be 1 naira. That's the one that will really matter to us the masses
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by realborn(m): 3:28pm On Apr 29, 2018
Nothing to discuss! sad

With a harum-scarum gesture towards leadership. It may be another waste of tax payers funds.

Both can't even effectively communicate with eachother. I hope there will be interpreters, perhaps a modicum of progress may be made, and an unwarranted offpoint gaffe prevented.

PMB may do well as a community leader, a "Baale" in Yoruba parlance. He is absolutely bereft of what strategic leadership is about.

My views though!
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Jeezuzpick(m): 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Iwo nko?

codeine ti affect opolo ti e

Orí e gbálè lánàá, àbí?

Eni t'órí rè pé ò lè so ñkan t'óo so yen.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by benedictac(f): 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2018
will Bubu even understand what Trump is saying? wasted time mtcheeeeew
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Respecter(f): 3:30pm On Apr 29, 2018
who will discuss the above? Buhari?
You must be joking.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by lonlytroy(m): 3:31pm On Apr 29, 2018
Iwantaccolades:
I can't wait for Trump to tweet about the meeting and both Nigerians and Liberals tear him to pieces.

Seriously it's a disaster awaiting to unleash
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:32pm On Apr 29, 2018
CSTR1003:

I doubt that.

Trump would be busy grilling your abokii on the Fulani menace and his terrible human rights records.

Racist Trump wouldn't give a damn about such non-entities but about how to get rid of a growing population of flat headed immigrants with criminal tendencies who are gradually unsettling the demographic balance of his country.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by hushpapi(m): 3:33pm On Apr 29, 2018
When they said buhari failed I wonder what they will think of trump. They said you failed cause you didn’t make the electricity possible. How is electricity gonna be possible if the importation of generator is still going on? You banned the importation of generator and they wage war on you.

Most of Nigerians forgot their is a big deal between nepa and general importers which makes electricity complicated in Nigeria.

Which area do you know in this country called Nigeria where their is no corruption tell me pls? Where is good for the president to start from where their is no corruption?

How is he gonna change things without spiting on the evil people’s faces? Whoever you like you vote for, change is still not gonna come unless corruption is push to the wall. Every area in Nigeria is fucking corrupted

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by MRAKBEE(m): 3:38pm On Apr 29, 2018
stephanie11:
@POLITICSNGR

President Muhammadu Buhari would be hosted by U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday at the White House to discuss issues, including fighting terrorism and economic growth.

Buhari, during the one-day official working visit to the U.S. at the invitation of Trump, would have bilateral meeting with the U.S. president and a working lunch.

“President Trump looks forward to discussing ways to enhance our strategic partnership and advance our shared priorities: promoting economic growth and reforms, fighting terrorism and other threats to peace and security, and building on Nigeria’s role as a democratic leader in the region.

“The relationship of the United States with Nigeria is deep and strong, and Nigeria’s economic growth, security, and leadership in Africa will advance our mutual prosperity,” the White House said.

International affairs experts say Buhari’s U.S. visit is strategic in many fronts, especially in view of the fact that the Nigeria-U.S. relationship was not too good prior to the inauguration of Buhari as president.

They say Buhari, being the first democratically-elected African President that would be hosted by Trump since his inauguration and also being the first African leader Trump spoke to on phone following his inauguration as the U.S. president, speak volume.

They also note that former U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Nigeria in March in a first five-country African tour embarked upon by any official of the Trump administration

These historic events, the experts say, apart from reaffirming Nigeria’s strategic position in Africa, raised a lot of expectations and opportunities during the visit.

The Special Adviser to Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, highlighted some of the expectations and opportunities.

“The meeting is to discuss ways to enhance the strategic partnership between the two countries and to advance shared priorities, such as promoting economic growth, fighting terrorism and other threats to peace and security.

“The meeting will further deepen the U.S.-Nigeria relationship as the United States considers Nigeria’s economic growth, security and leadership in Africa to be critical aspects of their strategic partnership.

“Later in the day, President Buhari will meet with a group of business persons in agriculture and agro-processing, dairy and animal husbandry,” Adesina said.

Ahead of the visit, meetings were scheduled between senior Nigerian Government officials and executives of major U.S. companies in the areas of agriculture, aviation and transportation.

The presidency said the Nigerian officials would be meeting with Boeing, the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world, on the National Carrier Project.

On agriculture, the Nigerian delegation will also meet with large equipment manufacturers with focus on harvesting and post harvesting equipment.

In the area of transportation, the officials will meet with the GE-led consortium for the implementation of the interim phase of the narrow gauge rail concession.

A substantive concession agreement will be negotiated and finalised, to provide the consortium the opportunity to invest an estimated two billion dollars, to modernise the rail line from Lagos to Kano and from Port Harcourt to Maiduguri.

In addition, the concession framework and the interim phase framework agreements are expected to be signed during the visit.

The Nigerian officials will also meet with U.S.-EXIM Bank and the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation to explore competitive financing arrangements.

U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Stuart Symington, said the Buhari-Trump meeting “will be a very high level meeting; it will help the U.S. to also understand Nigeria’s projection”.

“There will be independent conversation on security, governance, the Lake Chad Basin and Nigeria’s role as a democratic leader in the region,’’ Symington said.

Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, also described the visit as a sign of the growing cooperation between the U.S. and Nigeria.

Mohammed said: “There will be independent conversation on security, governance, the Lake Chad Basin and Nigeria’s role as a democratic leader in the region.”

“The meeting between President Trump and President Buhari will centre majorly on security and the economy and I think it’s not by co-incidence and I think it’s quite important.

“He (Buhari) is the President of the most populous country in Africa, the president of the country with the largest economy in Africa.

“And this is quite important because it is going to offer the opportunity for the two countries to reset their ties.

“And I think it’s probably the fact that the world is now understanding that Nigeria is very strategic not just to the sub-region but the entire Africa,” Mohammed said.

Amb. Hakeem Balogun, Nigeria’s ambassador to Indonesia, sees a very positive outing, saying the Nigeria-U.S. relation has improved greatly since Buhari became president and described the relationship as “very warm”.

“The Nigeria-U.S. relationship is quite good. It’s been very warm and lovely ever since the coming of this administration.

“Prior to President Buhari’s ascendancy, the relationship was sort of lukewarm following the American’s complaints over Nigeria’s handling of security issues, human rights allegations, issues of corruption, issues of governance.

“These are issues which the present government has come in to make the focal point of its administration. And no doubt, even since then, our relationship has been very robust.

“Our relationship has entered the fulcrum of the Bi-National Commission and based on that, it has formed the bedrock of our relationship; the bi-national commission is the foundation, the basis of the relationship between both countries.

“Well within the bedrock of that bi-national commission, are issues of good governance, corruption, security and others, which formed the basis of our relationship with the United States.”

On Corruption, Balogun, who was Nigeria’s former Charge d’ Affaires in U.S., said the U.S. was quite impressed with how far Nigeria had gone in the fight against corruption under Buhari.

“They (U.S.) really have this belief that the person of Mr President was okay to handle the issue of corruption in Nigeria and that he’s been doing well.

“So I can definitely tell you that the United States is pleased with what we’ve been doing at that level, ditto the efforts to revive the economy,” Balogun said.

To corroborate Balogun’s assertion, Trump, during his phone conversation with Buhari in February 2017, discussed the strong cooperation between the U.S. and Nigeria, including on shared security, economic, and governance priorities.

Trump underscored the importance the United States places on its relationship with Nigeria, and he expressed interest in working with Buhari to expand the strong partnership.

The leaders agreed to continue close coordination and cooperation in the fight against terrorism in Nigeria and worldwide.

The U.S. president, particularly expressed support for the sale of aircraft from the U.S. to support Nigeria’s fight against Boko Haram.

Trump thanked Buhari for the leadership he has exercised in Africa and emphasised the importance of a strong, secure, and prosperous Nigeria that continues to lead in the region and in international forums.

Balogun also said Buhari’s visit would be a win-win for both countries considering Nigeria’s ability to rally Africa on any issue at the international stage, a diplomatic advantage, which U.S. desperately needs.

“The U.S. recognises Nigeria as the leader on the continent. It shows that if they (U.S.) have to have a foothold in Africa or to do something in Africa, anything positive, they need the support of Nigeria.

“All our activities in the troubled spots in Africa – the championed peace on the continent and even beyond the continent; we’ve always been there on peaceful missions around the world,” Balogun said.

https://politicsngr.com/2019-buhari-trump-will-discuss-first-official-meeting-details/
Discuss about in or discuss in?
Which mod moved this to the front page?
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Okoroawusa: 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

Orí e gbálè lánàá, àbí?

Eni t'órí rè pé ò lè so ñkan t'óo so yen.
Iwo to ori e pe

kini achievement ti e l'aiye t'ewa hin?

Maba emi wi mo!

goodbye!
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by clems88(m): 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Trump: Hello Mr Buharri, how is your shottholle country?
Buharri: I blame IPOB and PDP for the unrest and I blame Gaddafi for sending armed fulanis to attack Benue and Taraba, I blame GEJ for failing to win the 2015 election, in fact, I blame Nnamdi Kanu for the impeachment notice last week and I blam...........
Trump: That's enough, throw this man out of here right now!
lol. huhari is coming for you

1 Like

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by sexdoll: 3:51pm On Apr 29, 2018
odogwubiafra:
Empty president go everly disgrace him papa for there. Hollow brain from daura.

Remember, this same empty brain sent the real odogwu akataka of biafura maazi nnamdi kanu to unending exile... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by BluntBoy(m): 3:54pm On Apr 29, 2018
fergie001:
The person above the person above me is a testimony why 0ral Sex should be championed and advocated for.
My own is that Buhari should be advised on what to say before he says something more altruistic than before.

No matter what he says, you people will complain. If I were the president, I will just be myself.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by pawesome(m): 3:55pm On Apr 29, 2018
Is it different from the discussion he had with the president of China and every oda country that he has travelled to?
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by fergie001: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
BluntBoy:

No matter what he says, you people will complain. If I were the president, I will just be myself.
You can't be yourself once you offer yourself up for public office...

When you do,you guide yourself

Before a leader,be it Governor or President makes a public outing,he is prepped up by his advisers,questions that he should answer and all that so as not to say something derogatory or out of place like Buhari did.
He is even been given question booklets he must study at least 24 hours before then....except in rare cases...

To you,do you think his comments at the meeting was in line?

He was way way out of line.....that's an international embarrassment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by BluntBoy(m): 3:59pm On Apr 29, 2018
hushpapi:
When they said buhari failed I wonder what they will think of trump. They said you failed cause you didn’t make the electricity possible. How is electricity gonna be possible if the importation of generator is still going on? You banned the importation of generator and they wage war on you.

Most of Nigerians forgot their is a big deal between nepa and general importers which makes electricity complicated in Nigeria.

Which area do you know in this country called Nigeria where their is no corruption tell me pls? Where is good for the president to start from where their is no corruption?

How is he gonna change things without spiting on the evil people’s faces? Whoever you like you vote for, change is still not gonna come unless corruption is push to the wall. Every area in Nigeria is fucking corrupted

Exactly. How do they expect the president to work.

The real problem is that many of the president's critics are the sore losers from the 2015 election. They have sworn never to see anything good in Buhari even before he was sworn in. People like this are so mischievous that they would rather the country burn down than hear that Buhari succeeds.

This is the sort of politics we are likely to play for a long time except we get a sort of bully like Obasanjo who would be ready to spend money to remove anyone disrupting his plans.

1 Like

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by cnonyechi(f): 4:03pm On Apr 29, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Trump: Hello Mr Buharri, how is your shottholle country?
Buharri: I blame IPOB and PDP for the unrest and I blame Gaddafi for sending armed fulanis to attack Benue and Taraba, I blame GEJ for failing to win the 2015 election, in fact, I blame Nnamdi Kanu for the impeachment notice last week and I blam...........
Trump: That's enough, throw this man out of here right now!

Nairalanders una no go kill person with laughter hahahahah

1 Like

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by ufuosman(m): 4:03pm On Apr 29, 2018
Make he no go talk anyhow dere
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by cnonyechi(f): 4:05pm On Apr 29, 2018
BluntBoy:

Exactly. How do they expect the president to work.

The real problem is that many of the president's critics are the sore losers from the 2015 election. They have sworn never to see anything good in Buhari even before he was sworn in. People like this are so mischievous that they would rather the country burn down than hear that Buhari succeeds.

This is the sort of politics we are likely to play for a long time except we get a sort of bully like Obasanjo who would be ready to spend money to remove anyone disrupting his plans.

All these things u have just written what has it got to do with all the killings going on and d fact dat he called us lazy youths abeg ooo no make us vex here or....
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by laura8: 4:06pm On Apr 29, 2018
MrPolitics:
At the end of the day it'll just be another waste of taxpayers money with nothing to show for it
Na gode baba na,absolutely nothing to show for it..
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by chiteny(m): 4:09pm On Apr 29, 2018
Please who has an idea what time this meeting will be holding. I will like to watch live on CNN how Nigeria's President will shame his forefathers and the entire daura with some misyarnings
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by CSTR1003: 4:10pm On Apr 29, 2018
ItsMeAboki:

Racist Trump wouldn't give a damn about such non-entities but about how to get rid of a growing population of flat headed immigrants with criminal tendencies who are gradually unsettling the demographic balance of his country.
The US govt already released a report of the terrible human rights records of your oga just before his trip.
What else would Trump want with him?
Abokiii like you don't follow relevant news.

1 Like

Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by BluntBoy(m): 4:13pm On Apr 29, 2018
cnonyechi:

All these things u have just written what has it got to do with all the killings going on and d fact dat he called us lazy youths abeg ooo no make us vex here or....

Vex, if you please. That is your headache.

The president is right about the youth being lazy (even though I believe he was referring to the Niger-Deltan youths who are always depending on oil money and causing trouble when they don't get it).

As for the killing, the president has made moves. He moved the police command there and has pushed troops there. You will never hear this because you have refused to give the president a chance.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by ItsMeAboki(m): 4:16pm On Apr 29, 2018
CSTR1003:

The US govt already released a report of the terrible human rights records of your oga just before his trip.
What else would Trump want with him?
Abokiii like you don't follow relevant news.

Trump would want to see how he could take back the unwanted growing population of Igbos polluting the shows of Amelica who are fraudulently claiming to be Jews.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Jeezuzpick(m): 4:17pm On Apr 29, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Iwo to ori e pe

kini achievement ti e l'aiye t'ewa hin?

Maba emi wi mo!

goodbye!

Wòó bó se nfi tipá so yorùbá!
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by ItsMeAboki(m): 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2018
conductorl7:

When an Afonja hooker meets an Hausa Fulani drug addict in the middle of the night.

You must be talking about the 99.9% population of hookers that your Dilector and Bloda Kanu defined.
Re: What Buhari And Trump Will Discuss About In First Official Meeting by Okoroawusa: 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

Wòó bó se nfi tipá so yorùbá!
Omo Igbo in mi.Sugbon,Eko ni'won bi emi si

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

36 State Attorneys-General Sue Malami Over Recovered Funds’ Remittance / Shina Peller's Security Aides Reinstated: 'Letter Sent Without Clearance' / APC Primary: I’m Ready To Serve, Not To Make Money — Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.