Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

American Jailed For 24 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Jailed For 24 Years (1182 Views)

If You Were To Be The President For 24 Hours, What Would You Accomplish? / Henry Okah Sentenced To 24 Years In Prison / American Jailed Over Nigerian Bribes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Jailed For 24 Years by lannre(m): 6:42pm On May 19, 2010

American Jailed For 24 Years

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos this afternoon sentenced an American lady, Sharon Dennis Thorpe, to 24 years imprisonment for being in possession of fake bank cheques and illegal dealing in same.

The convict was arraigned before the court alongside her Nigerian boyfriend, Musendiku Kehinde in a criminal charge filed against the accused person by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

It was alleged that they were in possession of 200 pieces of various American Bank cheques totaling $706,668.4.

The American pleaded guilty and she was sentenced to two years imprisonment on each of the 12 counts. The terms are to run concurrently.

However, her Nigerian lover pleaded not guilty.

Justice Akinjide Ajakaye ordered that Musendiku should be remanded in prison custody till 14 June when his bail application would be heard.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/05/19/american-jailed-for-24-years/
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by ziga: 7:08pm On May 19, 2010
Well that amounts to 2 years maximum in prison. Not a bad deal for the lady considering that she pleaded guilty.

Justice exists. it may seem slow sometimes, but the evil we do will always catch up with us.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by bkbabe97: 7:15pm On May 19, 2010
Wow!!!! Its bad enough living as a free soul in yall society, only the good lord knows how the prisons out there are!!! I hope the U.S nukes Nigeria if she's not released immediately!!! angry
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 19, 2010
that is good to hear but lets see what the americans have to say about this.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by otawa: 7:49pm On May 19, 2010
Wow!!!! Its bad enough living as a free soul in yall society, only the good lord knows how the prisons out there are!!! I hope the U.S nukes Nigeria if she's not released immediately!!!

indeed.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by DOAweb(m): 11:18am On May 20, 2010
. . .U.S nukes Nigeria if she's not released immediately!!!  - Such Idiocity  angry
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by Nobody: 11:40am On May 20, 2010
DOAweb:

. . .U.S nukes Nigeria if she's not released immediately!!!  - Such Idiocity  angry
abeg make una go siddon with this US threats.three americans have been detained by iran since last year,pakistan is trying five americans for terrorism and heaven did not fall.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by DOAweb(m): 11:54am On May 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

abeg make una go siddon with this US threats.three americans have been detained by iran since last year,pakistan is trying five americans for terrorism and heaven did not fall.

Even Hell self no burn extra!
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by otawa: 9:01pm On May 20, 2010
.U.S nukes Nigeria if she's not released immediately!!! - Such Idiocity

indeed. we know who is the most dangerous people with Weapon of Mass Destruction.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by meine: 9:05pm On May 20, 2010
US nuking Nigeria?

I am confounded by the depth of some people ignorance, shior!
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by mekuszyx: 11:22pm On May 20, 2010
bk/babe97= America wannabe Yoruba

Topic: the babe is frontally loaded though.lol grin grin

Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by Devonian(m): 9:32am On May 21, 2010
US can't do anything about this because Sharon Dennis Thorpe, the accused, pleaded guilty of the offences. However, I think the Judge was unduly lenient to the point that he said, “I felt like letting her go but it will send a wrong signal to others because the offence is indeed very serious but putting into consideration her repentance, I hereby sentence her to two-year jail term on each count with hard labour amounting to 24 years.” With or without pleading guilty and showing repentance, British and American judges often hand down the harshest and maximum punishment to criminal cases involving Nigerians in the UK and the USA, and possibly elsewhere in the world. So, why not hand down the maximum prison sentence to her as well? This is precisely the issue another poster has raised on NL, we treat Europeans, Americans and Australasians like monarchs in Nigeria, treating our own people like bullshit. Shame on the Judge.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by DOAweb(m): 10:05am On May 21, 2010
Devonian:

. . . we treat Europeans, Americans and Australasians like monarchs in Nigeria, treating our own people like bullshit. Shame on the Judge.

Totally agree with you, as Baba Fela preached Colonial mentality is still very much part of the culture  - Shame on the Judge!
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by Jakumo(m): 10:21am On May 21, 2010
Nigerian drug smugglers, internet 419 scammers and check forgers do hire numerous individuals of non-African racial lineage, in order to fly under the radar in a world keenly suspicious of blacks in general and Nigerian nationals in particular. The choice of an African American forged document mule in this case was evidently borne out of spontaneous expedience rather than careful planning.

Despite her crime of felony check fraud, this African-American lady is extremely unlikely to serve her entire quarter century sentence in a Nigerian jail, since her " compassionate release" into the the hands of US law enforcement officials will bode well for Nigerian/American bilateral ties.    As a non-violent, first-time offender, this lady scam artist will probably serve no more than three to five years of hard time in a US federal or state penitentiary.  The 24-year sentence handed down to her by a Nigerian court was more for dramatic impact than it was for actual implementation, and it will duly serve to startle one or more congresspersons into visiting Nigeria to plead clemency for this ghetto-bred convict.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by texazzpete(m): 10:55am On May 21, 2010
Devonian:

US can't do anything about this because Sharon Dennis Thorpe, the accused, pleaded guilty of the offences. However, I think the Judge was unduly lenient to the point that he said, “I felt like letting her go but it will send a wrong signal to others because the offence is indeed very serious but putting into consideration her repentance, I hereby sentence her to two-year jail term on each count with hard labour amounting to 24 years.” With or without pleading guilty and showing repentance, British and American judges often hand down the harshest and maximum punishment to criminal cases involving Nigerians in the UK and the USA, and possibly elsewhere in the world. So, why not hand down the maximum prison sentence to her as well? This is precisely the issue another poster has raised on NL, we treat Europeans, Americans and Australasians like monarchs in Nigeria, treating our own people like bullshit. Shame on the Judge.

You mean like how Bode George got only 2 years despite stealing 100 billion Naira? Or how Nigerian drug couriers are routinely given the option of paying a small (usually 100K fine) despite their heinous crimes? You mean like how 90% of arrested Nigerian scammers in Nigeria buy their way to freedom?

I wish you racists would at least take the time to check your facts before spewing your gospel of hatred here.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by Devonian(m): 12:51pm On May 21, 2010
texazzpete:

You mean like how Bode George got only 2 years despite stealing 100 billion Naira? Or how Nigerian drug couriers are routinely given the option of paying a small (usually 100K fine) despite their heinous crimes? You mean like how 90% of arrested Nigerian scammers in Nigeria buy their way to freedom?

I wish you racists would at least take the time to check your facts before spewing your gospel of hatred here.

YOU'RE OFF THE POINT HERE. WERE YOU SLEEP-READING MY RESPONSE? I COMAPRED THIS LADY'S SENTENCE WITH HOW NIGERIAN'S ARE SENTENCED ABROAD. I WASN'T COMPARING WITH HOW NIGERIANS ARE SENTENCE IN NIGERIA. YOU FALL INTO THE CATEGOY OF THOSE IGNORAMUS WHO HAVE PERPETUALLY RESIGNED THEIR FATE TO THEIR WHITE LORDS.  SHAME ON YOU FOR TRANSLATING MY RESPONSE INTO RACISM. YOU CERTAINLY HAVE NO EDUCATION, SHORT OF THE STU.PID PIECE OF PAPER CALLED DEGREE CERTIFICATES (IF ANY) WHICH AREN'T WORTH THE PAPERS THEY'RE PRINTED ON.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by texazzpete(m): 1:08pm On May 21, 2010
@Devonian
At least i know how to pull off a Nairaland quote.

It's you innate inferiority complex that drives you into these fits of paranoia. And your point is certainly not valid; the Judge is legally not obliged to impose harsher sentences on foreigners just because you claim Nigerians are punished harshly here. The right thing to do is to sentence the criminal to a similar jail term as is obtainable in Nigeria. Anything else will be racial discrimination.

So as long as i've been able to demonstrate to you that somewhat lenient sentencing is the norm here in Nigeria, you have no reason to accuse the judge of anything.

I repeat. You're encouraging judges to display racial discrimination. And that's just silly.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by bkbabe97: 9:19pm On May 21, 2010
mekuszyx:

bk/babe97= America wannabe Yoruba

Topic: the babe is frontally loaded though.lol grin grin

Lol. F*uck u, Mekushixtty!!! lol. Damn, why d hell she go to Africa?!!? damn!!! Poor baby!!! Whoa, they got a hood over her head?!!? They feinding execute her ova checks? Oh , my bad thats just her head wrap!!! pHeewww!!!
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by mekusxxx: 9:22pm On May 21, 2010
BTW, did anyone notice that her collaborator was Yoruba? The guy brought her to Yorubaland and put her in trouble. Now he is pleading not guilty. Buncha betrayers.
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by bkbabe97: 9:30pm On May 21, 2010
Two men were arrested Friday on charges related to identity theft, the Wake Sheriff's Department said.

Lukomon Adebayo Kehinde 27, and Akorede Musediku Kehinde, 22, both of 5410 Morning Creek Way, Raleigh, were charged with obtaining property by false pretenses and financial identity theft, said Phyllis Stephens, spokeswoman for the sheriff's department.

The sheriff's office worked the case along with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Raleigh Police Department.

Stephens said the sheriff's Intelligence Unit began the investigation in June when contacted by the U.S. Postal Service. A mail carrier had reported delivering mail, addressed to several different people, to an empty house. One victim has been identified as a result of the joint investigation, Stephens said.

Investigators think the suspects stole the victim's identity to fraudulently obtain a credit card, then charged more than $14,000 to that account, Stephens said.

Lukomon Kehinde was charged with two counts of obtaining property by false pretenses and three counts of financial identity theft, Stephens said. He was being held in the Wake County jail Friday in lieu of $5 million bail.

Akorede Kehinde was charged with one count of obtaining property by false pretenses and one count of financial identity theft. He was released after posting $20,000 bond. It was not clear whether the men are related. Stephens said the agencies are searching for victims and possible co-conspirators.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2006/07/29/75909/two-men-charged-with-identity.html

mekusxxx:

BTW, did anyone notice that her collaborator was Yoruba? The guy brought her to Yorubaland and put her in trouble. Now he is pleading not guilty. Buncha betrayers.

^^^ For once I gotta agree with u on that one, Mekusxxshityy!!! If he was a real G why he aint just say it was his, take the rap,  and let the lil lady go on her way? Sonofabinch!!!! angry
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by chiogo(f): 9:33pm On May 21, 2010
LMAO!!! lipsrsealed
Re: American Jailed For 24 Years by secretaryabdul(m): 1:10am On May 22, 2010
We are waiting for the federal government to list United States in it's financial terrorism host nations! Hahahaha!

(1) (Reply)

Bukhari Bello Is New Inec Boss / "North" Moves Against Jonathan / Abomination; Man’s Illicit Affair With 11-year-old Stepdaughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.