Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb (1484 Views)

Police To Lose Power To Prosecute Suspects / Ribadu Report: Sack, Prosecute Oil Minister — Labour, SNG, Others / Lawyer Offers To Prosecute Otedola For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 8:28am On May 21, 2010
I think this strategy is getting tired.

I am not a fan of IBB but anybody who thinks they would make a better President than IBB should be courageous enough to come forward and make a superior argument but allow the Nigerian people to choose their future.

I am of the view that in a free and fair elections, where enough time is devoted to credible and sane political debate about the future of Nigeria. IBB will come short. But what I don't agree with is potential candidates or interested parties scaring others from taking part in the elections just to narrow the field for themselves. Thats pure political cowardice.

It is up to the media to vet IBB's records towards the election and then inform the public so that they are aware of the issues. It is not up to the Government to use EFCC, ICPC or any panel whatsoever to narrow the field for themselves.

If IBB has questions of corruption to answer, then someone should bring him to justice or let him be. This business of probing IBB whenever he declares interest to run for President is not good for politics.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Katsumoto: 8:38am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

I am not a fan of IBB but anybody who thinks they would make a better President than IBB should be courageous enough to come forward and make a superior argument but allow the Nigerian people to choose their future.

I am of the view that in a free and fair elections, where enough time is devoted to credible and sane political debate about the future of Nigeria. IBB will come short. But what I don't agree with is potential candidates or interested parties scaring others from taking part in the elections just to narrow the field for themselves. Thats pure political cowardice.

It is up to the media to vet IBB's records towards the election and then inform the public so that they are aware of the issues. It is not up to the Government to use EFCC, ICPC or any panel whatsoever to narrow the field for themselves.

If IBB has questions of corruption to answer, then someone should bring him to justice or let him be. This business of probing IBB whenever he declares interest to run for President is not good for politics.

May not be good for politics but at least it prevents the rogue (I)nternational (B)atty (B)oy from ruling Nigeria.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by naso2(m): 8:42am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

Well said. But IBB is a different specie, you cant fight him as a good guy. You must be ready to fight dirty and GJ has little time on his hands. This in my view is just one of the many schemes lined up to force him out of the race.

Personally I think having IBB'S name on the ballot sheet alone will be too much insult for the average Nigerian. The man lost his "right" to benefit directly from any democratic process, the minute he annuled June12.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by princekevo(m): 8:50am On May 21, 2010
May not be good for politics but at least it prevents the rogue (I)nternational (B)atty (B)oy from ruling Nigeria.

Oh C'mon tell me his predecessors has done any thing better. I hate IBB more any Nigerian politician, but I will challenge you to come up with the proof that amount of money looted during 8 years of IBB is more than what we saw during 8 years of OBJ regime. IBB individually annulled June 12 Election for his selfish personal reason, OBJ individually hand picked Yaradead as our president for his own personal and selfish reason. So tell me what makes them different.

Meanwhile this politicians should stop deceiving us, coz you and i knows nothing will come out this case if true, but a waste of our collective resources.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 8:53am On May 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

elections are not about what you are against but what you are for. Since IBB declared his interest to run and proposed ideas on State policing, running a lean Government, devolution of powers to Local and State Governments etc. no one else has come forward to provide an alternative argument.

This is how we will all get fixated on stopping IBB and then on the eve of elections IBB will step down anyway. One new fool will emerge as President without having their records vetted by the media, or their ideas tested and without having a vigorous debate on how to move forward.

Using the instruments of state to narrow the political field and denying Nigerians a wide variance of choice at the polls is CORRUPTION in itself. The idea of setting up a panel is step 1 of many designed to intimidate and terrorise IBB. There is no need to set up any panel. Okigbo Report has been around for a while, the AGF Adoke has the right to prosecute any case if he believes there is enough evidence. If he does have evidence he should immediately go to court and get IBB convicted otherwise they should let the man be. Setting up a panel has politics written all over it and has nothing to do with either the LAW or Anti-Corruption.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Katsumoto: 9:03am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

elections are not about what you are against but what you are for. Since IBB declared his interest to run and proposed ideas on State policing, running a lean Government, devolution of powers to Local and State Governments etc. no one else has come forward to provide an alternative argument.

This is how we will all get fixated on stopping IBB and then on the eve of elections IBB will step down anyway. One new fool will emerge as President without having their records vetted by the media, or their ideas tested and without having a vigorous debate on how to move forward.

Using the instruments of state to narrow the political field and denying Nigerians a wide variance of choice at the polls is CORRUPTION in itself. The idea of setting up a panel is step 1 of many designed to intimidate and terrorise IBB. There is no need to set up any panel. Okigbo Report has been around for a while, the AGF Adoke has the right to prosecute any case if he believes there is enough evidence. If he does have evidence he should immediately go to court and get IBB convicted otherwise they should let the man be. Setting up a panel has politics written all over it and has nothing to do with either the LAW or Anti-Corruption.

Was IBB a kid when he ruled Nigeria? Oh, he now has all the wonderful ideas on how to make Nigeria great. The man is a rogue and is attempting to play Nigerians again like he did when he was in power. Obama, Kennedy, Blair, etc were all in the same age range as IBB when they all ruled their respective countries. We do not need a report or committee to tell us that IBB is corrupt. He lives in a house that even kings are envious of. Did he get that on his salary? That credible people will not be allowed to rule should not mean that we let the most evil dictator back as president.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 9:05am On May 21, 2010
na_so:

Well said. But IBB is a different specie, you cant fight him as a good guy. You must be ready to fight dirty and GJ has little time on his hands. This in my view is just one of the many schemes lined up to force him out of the race.

Personally I think having IBB'S name on the ballot sheet alone will be too much insult for the average Nigerian. The man lost his "right" to benefit directly from any democratic process, the minute he annuled June12.

I agree with argument in bold and have advanced that argument on this site. I will rather not have IBB on the ballot, but it is up to the media to make that argument and politicians coming forward to also articulate that argument. But the President who himself could be a candidate using the instruments of state to narrow the political field for himself is not something we should encourage. It is very dangerous.

It is the despised IBB today, nobody knows who it will be tomorrow.

If Jonathan thinks he will make a better President, then he should be bold enough to come forward and make his argument known. While he had the constitutional right to takeover from Yar'adua and we all vigorously canvassed for that. he does not have a devine right to succeed himself. He must work hard for the people's vote and allow the people to choose.

At the rate Jonathan is going, he will not have enough time to win the Presidency and this may result to last minute attempt at rigging. That will cause more problems because while coups were not popular amongst the Nigerian people 6 months ago. Nobody knows what the case will be in 12months time if there is rigging in the next election. So we just have to be very careful.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 9:12am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

I agree with argument in bold and have advanced that argument on this site. I will rather not have IBB on the ballot, but it is up to the media to make that argument and politicians coming forward to also articulate that argument. But the President who himself could be a candidate using the instruments of state to narrow the political field for himself is not something we should encourage. It is very dangerous.

It is the despised IBB today, nobody knows who it will be tomorrow.

If Jonathan thinks he will make a better President, then he should be bold enough to come forward and make his argument known. While he had the constitutional right to takeover from Yar'adua and we all vigorously canvassed for that. he does not have a devine right to succeed himself. He must work hard for the people's vote and allow the people to choose.

At the rate Jonathan is going, he will not have enough time to win the Presidency and this may result to last minute attempt at rigging. That will cause more problems because while coups were not popular amongst the Nigerian people 6 months ago. Nobody knows what the case will be in 12months time if there is rigging in the next election. So we just have to be very careful.
stop being too forward.wait till jonathan openly declare his candidacy before crucifying but for now,the story is about ibb.dig it
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 9:12am On May 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

Was IBB a kid when he ruled Nigeria? Oh, he now has all the wonderful ideas on how to make Nigeria great. The man is a rogue and is attempting to play Nigerians again like he did when he was in power. Obama, Kennedy, Blair, etc were all in the same age range as IBB when they all ruled their respective countries. We do not need a report or committee to tell us that IBB is corrupt. He lives in a house that even kings are envious of. Did he get that on his salary? That credible people will not be allowed to rule should not mean that we let the most evil dictator back as president.

I am not an IBB supporter and never will be. But Obama, Blair, Kennedy ruled their country by being bold enough about their ambition and rising up to the task of leading. We cant continue to have a situation where every 4years all we can achieve is to stop IBB and not to elect better leaders.

If you say IBB is a rogue, I agree with you in that he was a rogue soldier who plotted coups and rogue leader who promised things he never delivered. If you are saying he is a thief, well thats up to the courts to decide. Not up to you or up to me or up to Jonathan to decide.

A situation where perhaps the worst candidate in the race is the only one talking about the issues is not good enough. Obama and Blair did not emerge leaders of their country like that.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Katsumoto: 9:19am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

I am not an IBB supporter and never will be. But Obama, Blair, Kennedy ruled their country by being bold enough about their ambition and rising up to the task of leading. We cant continue to have a situation where every 4years all we can achieve is to stop IBB and not to elect better leaders.

If you say IBB is a rogue, I agree with you in that he was a rogue soldier who plotted coups and rogue leader who promised things he never delivered. If you are saying he is a thief, well thats up to the courts to decide. Not up to you or up to me or up to Jonathan to decide.

A situation where perhaps the worst candidate in the race is the only one talking about the issues is not good enough. Obama and Blair did not emerge leaders of their country like that.

You are being politically naive. There are many people who have ideas about moving Nigeria forward but they are never given the opportunity. You do not need a soothsayer to tell you that Pat Utomi, Fashola, etc will do a better job than the current list of potential candidates. In other parts of the world, rich men stay in the background and sponsor credible people but in Nigeria, rich and corrupt govt servants and their friends put themselves forward.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 9:28am On May 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are being politically naive. There are many people who have ideas about moving Nigeria forward but they are never given the opportunity. You do not need a soothsayer to tell you that Pat Utomi, Fashola, etc will do a better job than the current list of potential candidates. In other parts of the world, rich men stay in the background and sponsor credible people but in Nigeria, rich and corrupt govt servants and their friends put themselves forward.
I don't think I am the naive one here. Stopping IBB is not enough, we also need to know what we are getting. We stopped IBB in 2007 and got Yar'adua without knowing much about it. We all know what that got us into.

Anybody who thinks they will do a better job than IBB should say so now and tell us how the will go about their job. Using the EFCC, ICPC or AGF to narrow the political field is corruption.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Katsumoto: 9:43am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

I don't think I am the naive one here. Stopping IBB is not enough, we also need to know what we are getting. We stopped IBB in 2007 and got Yar'adua without knowing much about it. We all know what that got us into.

Anybody who thinks they will do a better job than IBB should say so now and tell us how the will go about their job. Using the EFCC, ICPC or AGF to narrow the political field is corruption.

Your argument would make sense if all Nigerians could aspire to the highest but we know that is not the case. You assume that there is a level playing field but that is not the case. Tell me, why did Pat Utomi not win the election in 2007?
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by chidichris(m): 9:51am On May 21, 2010

@mikeansy,
now that u have decided to reason with ur brains, find out who else is on the radar of the so-called corruption fighters. where else in the world is DROP UR POLITICAL AMBITION OR FACE THE EFCC a solution to crime?
this noise will continue till the end of 2011 elections and the next time u will hear about it will be 2015. why is this war on 4 yrs basis?
look at atiku, a confirmed criminal in 2007 and now a king maker after just 3 yrs. think up brother.
assuming ibb allows obj and his group to have their ways on the presidency, he will nolonger be seen as a criminal.
tell me, what can be more criminal than the act of not allowing us to vote and be voted for?
what can be more criminal than the dumping of the state's constitution and use the individual's constitution?
we are doomed by the occupants of aso rock and as long as this is the case, we will continue in our front and back movements.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 9:53am On May 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

Your argument would make sense if all Nigerians could aspire to the highest but we know that is not the case. You assume that there is a level playing field but that is not the case. Tell me, why did Pat Utomi not win the election in 2007?

Pat Utomi has not political base and can not be used as a standard, he is not a great politician.

Jonathan as President has the capacity to raise the game a little bit, make the system a little fairer than it is at the moment and still win. But so far there is nothing on ground to show 2011 will be different from 2007.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Katsumoto: 10:09am On May 21, 2010
mikeansy:

Pat Utomi has not political base and can not be used as a standard, he is not a great politician.

Jonathan as President has the capacity to raise the game a little bit, make the system a little fairer than it is at the moment and still win. But so far there is nothing on ground to show 2011 will be different from 2007.

How do we define a great politician? Are Nigerian 'politicians' really politicians? Do they have ideologies? Tell me, is IBB to the left, centre or right? The people you refer to as politicians are rogues, looters, murderers, ritual killers, drug dealers, etc. I am sorry but Pat Utomi is more credible than the bunch of them. I am not advocating Utomi is the best candidate, I only used him as an example because he contested against an incompetent bunch.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by chidichris(m): 12:22pm On May 21, 2010
How do we define a great politician? Are Nigerian 'politicians' really politicians? Do they have ideologies? Tell me, is IBB to the left, centre or right? The people you refer to as politicians are rogues, looters, murderers, ritual killers, drug dealers, etc. I am sorry but Pat Utomi is more credible than the bunch of them. I am not advocating Utomi is the best candidate, I only used him as an example because he contested against an incompetent bunch.

@Katsumoto,
just forget that mikeansy as he absultely has nothing to offer. he is always wanting to be all over the thread with no points to make.
those he call politicians are shoe lickers and men who cannot stand on their own.
who among his politicians can do without obj's selection and imposition.
pat utomi is a good example of nigerian great politicians.
he has individual abilities and credibilities.
our president(with due respect, has never won any individual election in nigeria and has done nothing tangible to stand on his feet in the political who is who in nigeria.
on the other hand, he is one of those politicians that depend their political life on a life support programme.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by saintchux(m): 1:38pm On May 21, 2010
@TOPIC
The FG has set up a committee to ascertain whether on the basis of the Okigbo report a criminal charge can be sustained against former military president General Ibrahim Gbadamosi Babangida (rtd) over allegations of corruption and mismanagement of $12.4 billion in the Dedicated and Special Accounts while he was in power.

See Here

Most of the time topic at NL gives a different impression from the message in the topic like this one. On seeing it, I thought FG has already concluded and made a statement, only for me to FG is still trying to ascertain.

I too want IBB prosecute not just because of $12.4 Billion but for annulling June 12 and the death of my darling Journalist Dele Giwa.

If june 12 1992 election was not annulled, now Nigeria would be moving in a faster lane. But see us now trying to emulate Ghana, just because of on man - IBB.

VOTE FOR IBB.

With one man one stone.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On May 21, 2010
marvix:

Kobo I understand your pessimisim nd u don't hav 2 force it down on other membas of d forum, wen we c challenges or problem we analyse them dispasionately so wen I c a sign of hope or goodwill I bcom optimistic dat things could just be about 2 get beta. Callin u a pessimist is not an insult pls its just a description 4 your attitbde as being called an optimist is not a compliment.

one word . . .  SHARRAP!! angry

agabaI23:

Well No theory, I just told you who officially are the custodian of your law. Whether they discharge their duty is another ball game.

Remember you asked me earlier if we have to shout before justice is done. Then I told you that if the custodians do not do their job then we have to remind them. Now you are asking whether i do not know how things are. It is because i know how things are that I suggested that the masses will have to drum it up to get justice.

Back to where we started?

I am of the opinion that in Nigeria the custodian of the law, from trends, is the president himself. It seems he has a hand in deciding who gets prosecuted and who does not. I say this because what we have in Nigeria does not work in the same sort of way it works in the western world where the Police/FBI/CIA do not need to answer to the president first before moving forward. That the federal government is mentioned in this gives me the impression that the president had to even sign off on this before the justice department felt it was ok to look into the case. Now if you also apply this to the EFCC probing his wife, you get why the justice department has been SLOW on delivering on that issue now.

I still don't believe 6 months is enough for this endeavour and I think it is a CRUDE move by the President if what he wants to do is stop IBB from running. Jonathan came in with Yar adua over 3 years ago, and if this was even an issue, it would have been dealt with then. Rather than pull us this way last minute, I would rather than government focuses and pushes for serious reforms so the people can freely vote their choice, next year. I understand people could likely vote IBB in the end but this is democracy and I think we need to be left to deal with the consequences of our own actions so we learn.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by agabaI23(m): 1:56pm On May 21, 2010
saintchux:

@TOPIC
Most of the time topic at NL gives a different impression from the message in the topic like this one. On seeing it, I thought FG has already concluded and made a statement, only for me to FG is still trying to ascertain.

I too want IBB prosecute not just because of $12.4 Billion but for annulling June 12 and the death of my darling Journalist Dele Giwa.

If june 12 1992 election was not annulled, now Nigeria would be moving in a faster lane. But see us now trying to emulate Ghana, just because of on man - IBB.

VOTE FOR IBB.

With one man one stone.

Well if the headline is not sensational, you may not look in. I copied that directly from the Newspaper smiley
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On May 21, 2010
I will wait to see the day.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 21, 2010
@ topic

Talk is cheap.
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by Jeboy(m): 5:29pm On May 21, 2010
Thanks nairalanders for your interest in the country. While most people have lost hope about our dear country, some of us here are still very much interested because we desire the needed change hence these arguments on National Issues. I want to contribute by saying Goodluck is on course. If he has listed "fight against corruption" as one of his focal programme what do u guys expect him to do when some people/group decide dig into the Okigbo report of IBB escapades. Should he turn deaf ears because IBB is a presidential candidate? What will dat translate to?That some few are above the law, Pls lets put sentiments apart.Duke has also declared running for presidency why is he not witch hunted?As per the Patience money laundery case, I think it should be best handled by another govt. because u cannot judge your own without sentiments.If GJ wades into it and she is cleared people will still cry foul, and even if she is guilty and punished so many people would still see him as stupid.Since GJ will not be in Aso rock 4 life, leave Patience judgement day for another govt. afterall the man should not be made to pay for the sins of his wife that is if she is proven guilty by a competent court. My piece
Re: Fed. Govt. Vows To Prosecute Ibb by agabaI23(m): 5:56pm On May 21, 2010
Nice nice write up there^^^

(1) (2) (Reply)

Firms Apply To Use River Niger, As Govt Completes Its Dredging / Oshodi Pic. With Strong And Capable Leadership, Anything Is Possible. / Jonathan Is Using Militants To Threatening Us Not To Shutdown Oil Production – Pengassan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.