Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,957 members, 7,814,244 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. (1132 Views)

Anthony Iwenjiora Burial: GEJ, Patience, Obi, Ihedioha Visit Obi Of Onitsha / 'corruption Is Official' - Atiku Releases 10 Questions Buhari Must Answer / Corruption Is Unlawfully Lucrative, Nigerians No Longer Afraid Of Jail - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 06, 2018
I'm not trying to justify what GEJ said in that interview, but I can still remember him saying when you say someone is corrupt people don't react well but when you say this person is a thief, a lot of people will chase and even stone the person.

I guess that was why he said stealing is not corruption. From what is going on now, we can see the way people are reacting when the word "OLE" which means thief in yoruba language is been use.

Take a look at what happend in rivers state, Ekiti state and kogi state, when we begin to use the word "OLE" these guys we know that we are serious.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by jamace(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2018
GEJ meant that stealing is one aspect of corruption. Godfatherism, nepotism, etc are aspects of corruption.

Buhari is only looking at one aspect of corruption.

7 Likes

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by fallout87: 5:37pm On May 06, 2018
Exactly.

Only those foolish people think corruption begins and ends with theft. The biggest form of corruption is 'power abuse' which we are seeing in mass amounts under Buhari.

8 Likes

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by Nwaide01: 5:58pm On May 06, 2018
Exactly
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by BianoJay(m): 6:33pm On May 06, 2018
jamace:
GEJ meant that stealing is one aspect of corruption. Godfatherism, nepotism, etc are aspects of corruption.

You got brains, bro.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by Shawnnn01: 6:42pm On May 06, 2018
Igbo people at it again fooling themselves. If corruption is not stealing what is it ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by deltaisgreat: 6:51pm On May 06, 2018
fallout87:
Exactly.

Only those foolish people think corruption begins and ends with theft. The biggest form of corruption is 'power abuse' which we are seeing in mass amounts under Buhari.
you are intelligent my man
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by SternProphet: 7:00pm On May 06, 2018
Every Sunday we get this guilt filled self justifying semantics about corruption and stealing. The dunce whose regime oversaw the greatest looting in Nigeria knows himself. We have not heard the worst of it. Malabu, NNPC, NPDC, CBN Security funds theft. Many more are coming. The tool has been booted out, it is in the history books that he was booted out because of corruption. Most countries in the world have the details and have accepted it.
The only thing to gain from it is hard lessons.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 06, 2018
Most Nigerians don't know that Godfatherism, nepotism etc is corruption, they believe corruption have a lot to do with stealing, so when you say this person is corrupt then the next person or that man or woman on the road will just believe he is a thief.

To get more reaction, simply call them OLE, now talking about other aspect of corruption, I think the people need to be enlighten, the government can't do this because they it will be against them, we need to make people understand that corruption is not all about stealing.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by wirinet(m): 7:45pm On May 06, 2018
udemzy101:
I'm not trying to justify what GEJ said in that interview, but I can still remember him saying when you say someone is corrupt people don't react well but when you say this person is a thief, a lot of people will chase and even stone the person.

I guess that was why he said stealing is not corruption. From what is going on now, we can see the way people are reacting when the word "OLE" which means thief in yoruba language is been use.

Take a look at what happend in rivers state, Ekiti state and kogi state, when we begin to use the word "OLE" these guys we know that we are serious.

So what will you call someone who quoted and got approvals to supply items that everybody knows for 10 times the price and got 100% payment upfront?

What do you term the malibu oil deal that all other foreign nationals that was involved had served jail time?

Do you take these cases to court on "mere stealing" charge or corrupt enrichment.

1 Like

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by toolovely(m): 8:07pm On May 06, 2018
wirinet:

So what will you call someone who quoted and got approvals to supply items that everybody knows for 10 times the price and got 100% payment upfront?

What do you term the malibu oil deal that all other foreign nationals that was involved had served jail time?

Do you take these cases to court on "mere stealing" charge or corrupt enrichment.

You're argument is vague..... Corruption is a compound word which can be relative. If someone goes to a shop and steal some items and people are shouting, " corruption corruption", what do you think will be people's reactions? People will even be looking at the person, like, what's he saying.... Now compared to when he's shouting thief thief.....
Now GEJ was trying to explain to people like you that anyone who steals government's money should be called a thief and not say the person is corrupt.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by ivandragon: 8:20pm On May 06, 2018
corruption is a catch all term for negative actions...

on its own, it is not specific to any negativity unless put in context...

for instance, if a man is called 'corrupt', the context of his corruption must be put into prospective. is he a thief? is he a fornicator/adulterous? is he a rapist? is he a chronic liar?

in fact, a case of corruption cannot be taken to court without specify the type of corruption committed...

that was what GEJ was alluding to, though he put it in a very dumb manner that left it open to twisting...
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by nku5: 8:37pm On May 06, 2018
Shawnnn01:
Igbo people at it again fooling themselves. If corruption is not stealing what is it ?

Tribalism is everything for some of you

When I use my influence as a director in a ministry to give my younger brother a contract have I stolen? The answer is no but using my power for personal advantage is corruption

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by deji68: 10:23pm On May 06, 2018
Good analogy.... grin grin grin grin
toolovely:

You're argument is vague..... Corruption is a compound word which can be relative. If someone goes to a shop and steal some items and people are shouting, " corruption corruption", what do you think will be people's reactions? People will even be looking at the person, like, what's he saying.... Now compared to when he's shouting thief thief.....
Now GEJ was trying to explain to people like you that anyone who steals government's money should be called a thief and not say the person is corrupt.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by wirinet(m): 11:50pm On May 06, 2018
toolovely:

You did not answer my question. So we should shouting "thief, thief on government officials who collect bribes or kick backs to do their jobs. We should be shouting thief, thief on government officials who were involved in the fuel subsidy scam. What is Abba Moro who was involved in the employment scam? We should shout thief, thief, right?

Are you aware that there is a crime of theft in out statute books, and there is a crime of corrupt enrichment. Are you also aware that EFCC was set up specifically to prosecute corruption and other related crimes. Are you saying EFCC should go after theft?
Do you even know that corrupt enrichment is a far more serious crime than theft?

Corruption involves the abuse of authority or power for personal gain, either materially, financially or otherwise. There is no country on earth that feels stealing is a more serious crime than corruption.

1 Like

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by debaj10: 12:08am On May 07, 2018
government officials who collect bribes or kick backs are corrupt.
fuel subsidy scam was corruption under gej. it's corruption under buhari.
Abba Moro who was involved in the employment scam is corrupt.
the above have very little to do with theft.

crime of theft is properly enforced in our constitution.
crime of corrupt enrichment has very little documentation in the constitution. that's why all the prosecutions are hanging in the air.
EFCC was set up specifically to prosecute corruption but the last point renders it a toothless bulldog.
There is no country on earth that feels stealing is a more serious crime- except Nigeria.

there. questions answered.
wirinet:

You did not answer my question. So we should shouting "thief, thief on government officials who collect bribes or kick backs to do their jobs. We should be shouting thief, thief on government officials who were involved in the fuel subsidy scam. What is Abba Moro who was involved in the employment scam? We should shout thief, thief, right?

Are you aware that there is a crime of theft in out statute books, and there is a crime of corrupt enrichment. Are you also aware that EFCC was set up specifically to prosecute corruption and other related crimes. Are you saying EFCC should go after theft?
Do you even know that corrupt enrichment is a far more serious crime than theft?

Corruption involves the abuse of authority or power for personal gain, either materially, financially or otherwise. There is no country on earth that feels stealing is a more serious crime than corruption.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by wirinet(m): 12:18am On May 07, 2018
debaj10:
government officials who collect bribes or kick backs are corrupt.
fuel subsidy scam was corruption under gej. it's corruption under buhari.
Abba Moro who was involved in the employment scam is corrupt.
the above have very little to do with theft.

crime of theft is properly enforced in our constitution.
crime of corrupt enrichment has very little documentation in the constitution. that's why all the prosecutions are hanging in the air.
EFCC was set up specifically to prosecute corruption but the last point renders it a toothless bulldog.
There is no country on earth that feels stealing is a more serious crime- except Nigeria.

there. questions answered.

The annoying thing is that die hard supporters are trying to rationalise the obvious gaffe by Jonathan. Corruption is very difficult to prosecute because it is perpetuated by people in power, they use official documentation to cover up all their evil deeds and use their power to stall, impede and disrupt evidence necessary for prosecution.

Theft on the other hand is very easy to prosecute, you just need to catch the accused in possession of the stolen item or provide evidence (video or eyewitness) that the accused and you have a conviction.

1 Like

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by debaj10: 12:28am On May 07, 2018
wirinet:

The annoying thing is that die hard supporters are trying to rationalise the obvious gaffe by Jonathan. Corruption is very difficult to prosecute because it is perpetuated by people in power, they use official documentation to cover up all their evil deeds and use their power to stall, impede and disrupt evidence necessary for prosecution.

Theft on the other hand is very easy to prosecute, you just need to catch the accused in possession of the stolen item or provide evidence (video or eyewitness) that the accused and you have a conviction.
Ol boy, pls take cold water eh?
gej quoted the cjn of the day. in trying to rubbish him, opposition left that part out.
the cjn's article where he wrote a treatise on the issue was in the papers.
Google is ur friend.

1 Like

Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by Shawnnn01: 8:31am On Jun 11, 2018
nku5:

Tribalism is everything for some of you

When I use my influence as a director in a ministry to give my younger brother a contract have I stolen? The answer is no but using my power for personal advantage is corruption

According to your Igbotic logic this is what erased stealing from being corruption ba ? I know sure say your brain fit function well this millennium.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by meccuno: 8:57am On Jun 11, 2018
jamace:

exactly what he meant. i wonder were the narrative of him supporting corruption start from. i have been explaining to people what he meant but still those who chose to believe would believe what they want.i am really surprised that even the educated ones are the most gullible. how would any sane human say it is good to be corrupt?
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by meccuno: 9:04am On Jun 11, 2018
debaj10:
Ol boy, pls take cold water eh?
gej quoted the cjn of the day. in trying to rubbish him, opposition left that part out.
the cjn's article where he wrote a treatise on the issue was in the papers.
Google is ur friend.
hahahahahaa!! to even think that he was been a rationale argument beats me. i listened to the presidential chat when he tried to explain what he said and i saw alot of sense in what he said. i believe it was the APC that made people to believe he said "stealing is corruption" to mean that he accepted stealing. which is not true. as you said earlier, it was the CJN who made the statement which he repeated.
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by meccuno: 9:08am On Jun 11, 2018
Shawnnn01:

According to your Igbotic logic this is what erased stealing from being corruption ba ? I know sure say your brain fit function well this millennium.
i wonder were igbo was written in the post there. so now i am wondering what the argument is. is it that you are angry with the man because he said stealing isnt corruption to mean that he supported those who steal or that there should be a classification between cases that are corruption cases and cases of stealing being outrightly called theft? so whats the anger?
Re: GEJ : Corruption Is Not Stealing. by nku5: 9:23am On Jun 11, 2018
Shawnnn01:

Oya bring your own logic

(1) (Reply)

Governor Wike, Dakuku Peterside Disagree Over Rivers Council Election / This Is Why Ajaokuta Cannot Make Steel / PHOTOS: Thousands Accompany Buhari To Azare Central Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.