Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? (5032 Views)

Will You Buy The Itel 5G Phone For N140,000? / How Many People Still Remember This Nokia Phone (photo) / Man Buys Nokia Phone Filled With Fufu For N8k At Computer Village, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by MissTechy(f): 5:12pm On May 08, 2018
I got the Nokia 7 plus device from Nokia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgWtqMwtY0g&t=23s

and yeah, the device is currently selling for N140,000 on Jumia and with that you get:

1. A GORGEOUS LOOKING PHONE WITH AN ALUMINUM BUILD
I got the black color variant of the Nokia 7 plus and it has this copper accent at the back of the device and along the aluminum frame. Yes, this phone has an aluminum build but Nokia has added a ceramic coating at the back of the device that gives it a really good grip.

And for the first time ever, Nokia is using an 18:9 aspect ratio display:

Looking at it closely and you’d notice that the bezels are a teeny bit larger than other devices like the Camon X Pro:

But even at that, you can’t deny that this is a gorgeous phone!

2. THE FHD DISPLAY
Another thing you’d get for N140,000 is the FHD display! Nothing new, but the display is quite colorful and you’d have no problem using it under direct sunlight. However, since I am being nitpicky, I’d say the display had a warm cast to it, so the whites look a little bit warm.

Overall, I’d give it a 7.

3. THAT STOCK ANDROID EXPERIENCE
This is another thing that isn’t so new with Nokia phones, but unlike other mid-range Nokia devices, this falls under the Android one project and like you already know, you are getting the whole vanilla experience.

Or better still, the whole Stock Android experience.

So, no bloatware or crazy customizations, and because there are no crazy customizations, you can’t hide or tweak the navigations buttons like you would on the Hot S3 or the Gionee S11 Lite.

What you can do though, is to enable a couple of gestures like the double tap to wake the phone, turn over to reject call, mute on pickup, and swipe fingerprint for notifications

Of course:

But let’s not forget that you also get access to timely updates. As a matter of fact, I got updated to Android 8.1 after using the device for some hours.

4. NO NOTIFICATION SENSOR!
Unfortunately, the Nokia 7 Plus doesn’t come with a notification sensor!

Yeah, I felt exactly like Tim Cook! But Nokia has replaced it with the Ambient display — something you already know with Samsung phones— and it lights up when you receive a message or when you lift the phone up.

However, I’d have preferred if they had still retained the notification sensor.

5. INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE
As for the performance, this comes with 4GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 660 chipset which is designed to bring flagship-class performance to the mid-range segment. Of course, the RAM and processor add up to a great multitasking and performance.

However, the hardcore techies might notice a couple of seconds delay with opening applications, but this doesn’t take away from the performance.

Another thing you’d notice is the temperature, it heats up when you use the phone extensively or when you are charging/using it at the same time and Nokia usually sends a notification when this happens.

5. MONO SPEAKER
Can phone manufacturers adopt the Stereo speaker trend just like they’ve all adopted the 18:9 aspect ratio trend?

Anyway, one bummer, at least for me, is the fact that the Nokia 7 Plus comes with a mono speaker and the audio isn’t so loud, but it gets the job done.

Then you also have the earphone jack:

Why the hallelujah?!

Well, because having an earphone jack in 2018 especially on premium phones deserves several hallelujahs.

6. HYBRID SIM CARD SLOT:
Another bummer is the Hybrid SIM card slot, so you can only use one sim card or one microSD card, or two SIM cards and no MicroSD card.

On the bright side, you get 4G LTE support.

7. NO FACE ID
You won’t get the popular Face ID feature on the Android one version of the Nokia 7 plus, but you get a fingerprint sensor that has been placed at the back of the device, and as far as that goes, it is efficient, but there is a second delay noticed.

7. THE 3800mAh BATTERY
The 7 plus uses a 3800mAh battery capacity

Slightly smaller than the Camon X Pro’s, but unlike the X Pro, you get a USB type-C port.

As for the battery performance, I was able to use it through the day without any issues, of course, I had to still charge it at night. I also got within 4 – 7 hours of on-screen time depending on how I used it:

And because you have that USB Type-C port along with that fast charger, charging the Nokia 7 Plus takes about 1 hour 58 minutes.

8. THAT SOMEWHAT IMPRESSIVE camera
For N140,000, you get dual cameras — a 12MP main camera with an F1.75 aperture and a 13MP secondary camera with an F2.6 aperture.

The apertures mean that you get the portrait mode and 2x optical zoom feature

And as far as the Portrait mode is concerned, it didn’t really do so well, it had a lot of misses than hits.

However, the overall quality of the cameras at the back is quite impressive, it was well saturated and the colors popped! But it can also look slightly underexposed when compared with cameras like the S9. It did well in low-light too, but you will notice a couple of noise in the picture.

Moving to the front camera, you get a 16MP front-facing camera that is quite good at taking selfies. But I did notice that the images looked a bit soft especially when you zoom into them.

Moving to the video, the 7 Plus allows you to shoot in 4K, it also comes with EIS support — which isn’t so perfect. I also noticed that the video camera zooms into your face, way more than it should. Then there is this wobbling effect that goes on when you shake the camera from left to right, the reason for that could be as a result of the EIS feature and hopefully, it gets fixed in the software update.

Finally, you have the dual PIP, that lets you record using the back and front cameras at the same time.

Overall, the Nokia 7 Plus cameras aren’t the best I have seen, but it’s definitely not bad! And the whole narrative can be said of the Nokia 7 Plus itself, it is not the best smartphone I have seen so far, but it is a really good phone, but for N140,000+ is this good enough for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by MissTechy(f): 5:14pm On May 08, 2018
Pictures below

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 5:19pm On May 08, 2018
Amazing cool
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by lastbaff(m): 6:03pm On May 08, 2018
Nice review. Get the phone here guys...

Nokia 7 Plus in Nigeria
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 08, 2018
Am I the only one thinking that Nokia is relatively overpriced? I'd rather shell out the sum for Huawei phone, with better specs/performance, and better body build! cool

10 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 6:27pm On May 08, 2018
busybrain123:
Nice smartphone. But I will prefer something better at an affordable price. My problem with this popular brand is that they take people for a ride. Imagine paying for Nokia 7 plus for 140k when I can easily grab a better Xioami phone with the same specs and features at a cheaper price. Now take the Elephone A4 Pro that comes with wireless charging, good RAM and a powerful processor as well and it cost just 65,000 Naira.
Below is the photo of Elephone A4 Pro and you can see more of the phone specs here http://naijatechgist.com/2018/05/04/elephone-a4-pro-price-specs-features-and-review/

Do you know how cheap looking this phone would look beside the Nokia lol. Don't even believe creatives, just watch a video or 2 first.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by busybrain123(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2018
henry007:

Do you know how cheap looking this phone would look beside the Nokia lol. Don't even believe creatives, just watch a video or 2 first.
Are you for real?
shocked
What of this Huawei Honor 6X that cost 75k, does it look local too? All am saying is that the smartphone is over priced, though it looks cool sha...

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by youngderek1(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2018
MissTechy:
I got the Nokia 7 plus device from Nokia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgWtqMwtY0g&t=23s

and yeah, the device is currently selling for N140,000 on Jumia and with that you get:

1. A GORGEOUS LOOKING PHONE WITH AN ALUMINUM BUILD
I got the black color variant of the Nokia 7 plus and it has this copper accent at the back of the device and along the aluminum frame. Yes, this phone has an aluminum build but Nokia has added a ceramic coating at the back of the device that gives it a really good grip.

And for the first time ever, Nokia is using an 18:9 aspect ratio display:

Looking at it closely and you’d notice that the bezels are a teeny bit larger than other devices like the Camon X Pro:

But even at that, you can’t deny that this is a gorgeous phone!

2. THE FHD DISPLAY
Another thing you’d get for N140,000 is the FHD display! Nothing new, but the display is quite colorful and you’d have no problem using it under direct sunlight. However, since I am being nitpicky, I’d say the display had a warm cast to it, so the whites look a little bit warm.

Overall, I’d give it a 7.

3. THAT STOCK ANDROID EXPERIENCE
This is another thing that isn’t so new with Nokia phones, but unlike other mid-range Nokia devices, this falls under the Android one project and like you already know, you are getting the whole vanilla experience.

Or better still, the whole Stock Android experience.

So, no bloatware or crazy customizations, and because there are no crazy customizations, you can’t hide or tweak the navigations buttons like you would on the Hot S3 or the Gionee S11 Lite.

What you can do though, is to enable a couple of gestures like the double tap to wake the phone, turn over to reject call, mute on pickup, and swipe fingerprint for notifications

Of course:

But let’s not forget that you also get access to timely updates. As a matter of fact, I got updated to Android 8.1 after using the device for some hours.

4. NO NOTIFICATION SENSOR!
Unfortunately, the Nokia 7 Plus doesn’t come with a notification sensor!

Yeah, I felt exactly like Tim Cook! But Nokia has replaced it with the Ambient display — something you already know with Samsung phones— and it lights up when you receive a message or when you lift the phone up.

However, I’d have preferred if they had still retained the notification sensor.

5. INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE
As for the performance, this comes with 4GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 660 chipset which is designed to bring flagship-class performance to the mid-range segment. Of course, the RAM and processor add up to a great multitasking and performance.

However, the hardcore techies might notice a couple of seconds delay with opening applications, but this doesn’t take away from the performance.

Another thing you’d notice is the temperature, it heats up when you use the phone extensively or when you are charging/using it at the same time and Nokia usually sends a notification when this happens.

5. MONO SPEAKER
Can phone manufacturers adopt the Stereo speaker trend just like they’ve all adopted the 18:9 aspect ratio trend?

Anyway, one bummer, at least for me, is the fact that the Nokia 7 Plus comes with a mono speaker and the audio isn’t so loud, but it gets the job done.

Then you also have the earphone jack:

Why the hallelujah?!

Well, because having an earphone jack in 2018 especially on premium phones deserves several hallelujahs.

6. HYBRID SIM CARD SLOT:
Another bummer is the Hybrid SIM card slot, so you can only use one sim card or one microSD card, or two SIM cards and no MicroSD card.

On the bright side, you get 4G LTE support.

7. NO FACE ID
You won’t get the popular Face ID feature on the Android one version of the Nokia 7 plus, but you get a fingerprint sensor that has been placed at the back of the device, and as far as that goes, it is efficient, but there is a second delay noticed.

7. THE 3800mAh BATTERY
The 7 plus uses a 3800mAh battery capacity

Slightly smaller than the Camon X Pro’s, but unlike the X Pro, you get a USB type-C port.

As for the battery performance, I was able to use it through the day without any issues, of course, I had to still charge it at night. I also got within 4 – 7 hours of on-screen time depending on how I used it:

And because you have that USB Type-C port along with that fast charger, charging the Nokia 7 Plus takes about 1 hour 58 minutes.

8. THAT SOMEWHAT IMPRESSIVE camera
For N140,000, you get dual cameras — a 12MP main camera with an F1.75 aperture and a 13MP secondary camera with an F2.6 aperture.

The apertures mean that you get the portrait mode and 2x optical zoom feature

And as far as the Portrait mode is concerned, it didn’t really do so well, it had a lot of misses than hits.

However, the overall quality of the cameras at the back is quite impressive, it was well saturated and the colors popped! But it can also look slightly underexposed when compared with cameras like the S9. It did well in low-light too, but you will notice a couple of noise in the picture.

Moving to the front camera, you get a 16MP front-facing camera that is quite good at taking selfies. But I did notice that the images looked a bit soft especially when you zoom into them.

Moving to the video, the 7 Plus allows you to shoot in 4K, it also comes with EIS support — which isn’t so perfect. I also noticed that the video camera zooms into your face, way more than it should. Then there is this wobbling effect that goes on when you shake the camera from left to right, the reason for that could be as a result of the EIS feature and hopefully, it gets fixed in the software update.

Finally, you have the dual PIP, that lets you record using the back and front cameras at the same time.

Overall, the Nokia 7 Plus cameras aren’t the best I have seen, but it’s definitely not bad! And the whole narrative can be said of the Nokia 7 Plus itself, it is not the best smartphone I have seen so far, but it is a really good phone, but for N140,000+ is this good enough for you.

cc @lalasticlala @dragnet
will u marry me smiley
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 6:42pm On May 08, 2018
busybrain123:

Are you for real?
shocked
What of this Huawei Honor 6X that cost 75k, does it look local too? All am saying is that the smartphone is over priced, though it looks cool sha...

You would consider a Huawei midrange phone from 2016 with huge bezels for 75K. Why?
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 08, 2018
Different strokes for different folks..

If am to buy a phone with that amount,I will probably go for Samsung series.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 08, 2018
henry007:

You would consider a Huawei midrange phone from 2016 with huge bezels for 75K. Why?
Come up a bit to Huawei Honor 7x, it half the price of Nokia 7 plus, but I'd choose it over Nokia any time! cool

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 8:22pm On May 08, 2018
questechie:

Come up a bit to Huawei Honor 7x, it half the price of Nokia 7 plus, but I'd choose it over Nokia any time! cool

Sorry about before. I agree that the smartphone is overpriced but nor because of any Huawei Honor series. The Honor 7x is not the same level as the Nokia 7 Plus. Also it's not exactly cheap for the specs, just adequate. Maybe compare with Xiaomi
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 8:23pm On May 08, 2018
krattoss:
Different strokes for different folks..

If am to buy a phone with that amount,I will probably go for Samsung series.

Which Samsung?
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Durchess(f): 8:33pm On May 08, 2018
my answer is NO
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by guji12(m): 9:36pm On May 08, 2018
Nope... Will go for infinix zero 5 pro
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Nobody: 12:39am On May 09, 2018
henry007:

Sorry about before. I agree that the smartphone is overpriced but nor because of any Huawei Honor series. The Honor 7x is not the same level as the Nokia 7 Plus. Also it's not exactly cheap for the specs, just adequate. Maybe compare with Xiaomi
And in comparison, how much difference is btw Honor 7x and Nokia 7 plus specs wise
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by henry007(m): 12:46am On May 09, 2018
questechie:

And in comparison, how much difference is btw Honor 7x and Nokia 7 plus specs wise

I really don't know anything about the Kirin chipsets and Huawei performance in general since they packed up shop and left naija but based on spec sheet and design, i'd say $75-$100
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Wizpa(m): 1:43am On May 09, 2018
*BAR and BRA*

Both have same Alphabets.

Both are DRINKING Zones.

Both have Restricted Time of Opening and Closing.

But when Opened, both make *MEN CRAZY.*

When you are drinking from any of the two, pls don't drive!!

*Drink Responsibly!!!*
30 Likes
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by DoroBen: 7:16am On May 09, 2018
Your reviews are on fireee
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by MissTechy(f): 8:19am On May 09, 2018
DoroBen:
Your reviews are on fireee

Wow thank you.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by HerCuteness(f): 8:29am On May 09, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus leads when it comes to flagship traits –It has better design and better optics powered camera hardware. All that makes Nokia 7 a more premium option that should appeal to anyone who loves stock Android.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by KelvinCX(m): 8:45am On May 09, 2018
HerCuteness:
Nokia 7 Plus leads when it comes to flagship traits –It has better design and better optics powered camera hardware. All that makes Nokia 7 a more premium option that should appeal to anyone who loves stock Android.
question is would you buy it?
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by HerCuteness(f): 8:46am On May 09, 2018
[quote author=KelvinCX post=67404549]
question is would you buy it? [/quote
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by KelvinCX(m): 8:55am On May 09, 2018
vv
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by nathdim: 10:20am On May 09, 2018
Huawei. Mate 10 you can get at 140k
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by Chillinmasoul(m): 10:27am On May 09, 2018
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by DoroBen: 10:42am On May 09, 2018
nathdim:
Huawei. Mate 10 you can get at 140k

But you can't deny the fact that Nokia phones come with timely updates

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by nathdim: 2:27pm On May 09, 2018
DoroBen:

But you can't deny the fact that Nokia phones come with timely updates
you can never at the moment compare Nokia 7 Plus with the mate 10 the difference is much even if Nokia 7 gets an everyday update
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by DoroBen: 3:17pm On May 09, 2018
nathdim:
you can never at the moment compare Nokia 7 Plus with the mate 10 the difference is much even if Nokia 7 gets an everyday update

So what are the differences, enlighten me.
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by LaideOyebade: 7:34pm On May 09, 2018
DEFINITELY! I LOVE NOKIA PHONES
Re: Would You Buy This Nokia Phone for N140,000? by wristbangle: 3:41am On May 10, 2018
Nokia is trying to gain market share globally. They might not be there yet considering the price and product features offered to consumers but they understand the matrix of each continents purchasing power and are producing phone series according to the mentioned factors while maintaining their value.

They are still far better than most Chinese phones especially with MTK processor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn's Rip Off Let Them Know-customerservice@mtnnigeria.net / What Is The Difference Between 2gb Ram And 4gb Ram / Diverting Sms To Another Number.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.