Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here (12371 Views)

. / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Please How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by blank(f): 6:17pm On May 21, 2010
Don't ever make jollof rice with brown rice for people that are not used to eating brown rice.
First off, they would hate it and say its not sweet. cry cry
Then everyone will purge!. shocked shocked shocked

I now av a pot of rice dat i don't know what to do with.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Shola2009(m): 9:32pm On May 22, 2010
Boiling noodles for too long,makes em' soggy and not so appealing.Happens all the time to moi.
Now i stand right in front of the pot throughout the boiling process.Quite tiring,but worth it in the end. grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by floxyrangy: 11:55pm On May 29, 2010
My moimoi for dinner was a disaster! Was really rich in content. After I wrapped it in the leaf and cooked it, it was as watery as ever. Was on fire for 2hours but the thing rfused to be hard. Exasperated, I brought it off the fire and when i unfolded it, some parts were done,some were watery, I felt really horrible cos I make moimoi very well. It occurred to me that in my rush cos it was late, I forgot to add oil!!! I still feel sad cos we'd to eat indomie to bed.

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by blank(f): 12:11am On May 30, 2010
@floxyrangy, i have experienced dat before.
Pele my dear.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by floxyrangy: 6:11am On May 30, 2010
Thank you. I'll make sure I prepare another one today so I'll get it right again.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by bigfather(m): 6:03pm On May 31, 2010
Mine was a very funny one.

I was abt 5yrs. My mum travelled and i was left at the mercy of my dad, he made a very rich soup on that particular day just to impress me but instead of adding salt,my old man added sugar just becus d sugar and d salt container both had d same look alike container. Meennnn, it was a terrible day.
The second disaster, was when i was schooling in the east way back 95, i have always been eating Ogbono soup at the resturant laced with a little bit of veg. So i decided to try my hands on the soup. Went to the market to get some vegetable not knowing it was BITTER LEAF, i poured the leaf into the soup as if there was no tomorow. I prepared a bowlful of semovita and i was battle ready only to discover that i was eating, meeeennnnn, the rest is left for you guys to guess, grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Bukittes(f): 12:15pm On Jun 02, 2010
It was on my elder brother's 30th birthday, I had a surprise party organised for him with all his friends and family friends in attendance. I had a three course meal prepared and there was a fruit juice in the menu. It wasn't my first time of making fruit juices o but this one went very awry indeed. I don't know what it became after blending the fruits together, it was looking very ugly and till today I cant explain what went wrong. The funny thing nevertheless, is that they all enjoyed it!!!!!!!
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by SeanT21(f): 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
In Liberia at the age of 10 or 11, I cooked a dish call cassava leaf soup and forgot to add the maggi cubes. The food was tasteless.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by milkan05(m): 12:48pm On Jun 02, 2010
floxyrangy:

My moimoi for dinner was a disaster! Was really rich in content. After I wrapped it in the leaf and cooked it, it was as watery as ever. Was on fire for 2hours but the thing rfused to be hard. Exasperated, I brought it off the fire and when i unfolded it, some parts were done,some were watery, I felt really horrible cos I make moimoi very well. It occurred to me that in my rush cos it was late, I forgot to add oil!!! I still feel sad cos we'd to eat indomie to bed.

awwww sorry!! must av tasted like 'ekuru'(moi moi prepared with corn)! lipsrsealed

anyone tasted charcoal rice? slept off while cooking a pot of rice and got it charred.

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Bisowo(f): 1:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
Mistakingly using wheat flour to make 'amala' lol. Had to throw the whole thing away

Forgetting to blend onions with the beans; the moi-moi turned out rubbish!

Blending ginger root into eggs. I ended up with fried eggs that refused to bind. Similar thing happened with my draw soup, this time, using meat stock generously blended with ginger root and garlic

Putting camphor inside the cupboard in order to get rid of roaches, but ending up with camphor smell and taste in my packet food such as indomie and even yam flour

Adding salt to over-ripe plantain, which after soaking up oil, just would not go down well with my kids. Had to brow-beat them into eating it!

Boiling the native pear; after 1hr and the pear was still as hard as a rock,  I brought it down in frustration. However, was later counseled that the trick is in pouring hot water over it, and within secs, it's ready to be eaten.

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by obailala(m): 1:56pm On Jun 02, 2010
I asked my brother to put the ingredients i had already prepared into the stew i was cooking,,  I didnt know he also added salt (cos i didn't ask him

to),  I came back and unknowingly added the second round of salt. The effect was sooo bad, we had to prepare another equal sized pot of stew

without salt to balance the equation. It was still toooooooo salty. We had to empty the whole 2 pots of stew in the bush (to conceal the disaster)

and start afresh with a third pot.

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Iranoladun(f): 2:02pm On Jun 02, 2010
floxyrangy:

My moimoi for dinner was a disaster! Was really rich in content. After I wrapped it in the leaf and cooked it, it was as watery as ever. Was on fire for 2hours but the thing rfused to be hard. Exasperated, I brought it off the fire and when i unfolded it, some parts were done,some were watery,  I felt really horrible cos I make moimoi very well. It occurred to me that in my rush cos it was late, I forgot to add oil!!! I still feel sad cos we'd to eat indomie to bed.

@ Floxyrangy It may not be only lack of oil that make your Moin moin to look undone.  If you soak the beans for too long in water before blending or if you leave it for too long after blending before you make your Moin Moin.  The result will be half Moin Moin looking like cooked egusi soup (melon) and half like Moin Moin undecided

My own cooking disaster happen when I was trying to make bread.  I made bread for breakfast that was much too closer to cake than bread!  I guess I added too much of all the sweet things (egg, milk, butter). sad
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by parislomo(f): 2:21pm On Jun 02, 2010
Cos of my love for burnt meals (find it so tasty), I got used to burning all meals even the ones that didn't need to be cooked in the first place!  
Oh and adding salt to a meal took me years to master!!
grin grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 02, 2010
I'm reading all this and thinking. 'No wonder some men still go to eat at their mother's houses' grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by gregejige: 3:04pm On Jun 02, 2010
Boiling eggs.

Never get it right . . either not well done or overdone. sad
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by snthesis(m): 3:14pm On Jun 02, 2010
obailala:

I asked my brother to put the ingredients i had already prepared into the stew i was cooking,,  I didnt know he also added salt (cos i didn't ask him

to),  I came back and unknowingly added the second round of salt. The effect was sooo bad, we had to prepare another equal sized pot of stew

without salt to balance the equation. It was still toooooooo salty. We had to empty the whole 2 pots of stew in the bush (to conceal the disaster)

and start afresh with a third pot.
i bet u were a science student.

@op
i got  my egg burnt and ended spillin hot oil on my body
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by nellaluv(f): 3:18pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Babzilla grin grin grin grin grin

Before i learnt how to prepare ogii (pap) and jollof rice, i used the whole family as experiment grin grin you either eat it or look for something else to eat. It was not an easy sumthing tongue tongue . Thank God i'm an expert today, tongue
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by minute(f): 3:40pm On Jun 02, 2010
I'm usually pretty good in the kitchen.I've been trained and done it for years.

However,accidents do happen! We were cooking two Cornish hens for Easter

and then my family here  calls up wanting us to come over.So of course we turned the

oven down to low because they weren't quite done yet.We got back a couple of hours

later . . . tipsy.I just turned off the oven and we went to bed.

Four days later,I wondered what that bizarre smell was in the kitchen.I finally looked in the oven

and there  were the hens crawling with MAGGOTS!!! I screamed ,called my partner at work

screaming, he told me to turn the oven on and roast them, I did while spraying air freshner and

trying not to gag.When they finally stopped wriggling, I took the pan out of the oven,put a kitchen

towel over face and tossed it all out . . .including the pan!!
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Tgirl4real(f): 4:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
So funny grin grin grin

floxyrangy:

I remember back in my sec sch days, I volunteered to make moimoi for our end of year party. I ended up soaking the beans in water for like 30mins before peeling. U can imagine the mess grin

Funny thing, I took it to sch like that. The moimoi was black. grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by sizzlers(m): 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2010
should i call mine em m cooking disaster? when i was 15, my mom made a very nice Ogbolo (Ogbono) soup on that faithful afternoon and like we normally do in my house, we do the worming turn by turn, is my own turn to worm the soup that night after worming i forget to properly cover the soup. When it was morning, about to go to sch. i dash into the kitchen after second - worming the soup to cut the story short, as i swallow one mold of EBA with the soup and something that looked like stock fish in the EBA, I started crunching but instead of stockfish taste i started noticing some white gummy fluids.
guess what A VERY BIG COCKROACH i felt like dying that day, i almost finish our tooth paste. undecided

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Tgirl4real(f): 5:15pm On Jun 02, 2010
shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Tatase(f): 6:04pm On Jun 02, 2010
I've had quite a few but I've always been able to fix them or turn them into something else or make a concoction meal out of them that sometimes turns out to be nice enough to repeat in future (jollof rice pottage, anyone? wink )

Anyway 2 come to mind. Once when I was like 13, I baked my dad a birthday cake and then turned it over and the cake broke in half across the middle (burnt at the bottom). I ended up icing it like that and everyone got out a fork and ate the remaining half of the cake out of the pan. Another time, I dropped a container dry ground red pepper into the sauce I was making and at least half a cup was deposited into it; it was NOT manageable! In the end I turned it into a peppersoup base, and would take like a cup of it, dilute it with a lot of water and cook it with peppersoup spices.

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by BeautfulB(f): 6:06pm On Jun 02, 2010
MINE. when I was with my ex-boyfriend he asked me to prepare  jollof   rice and I didn’t so but forgot to add salt that was really f*cked I was so ashamed of myself b4 he ate the food I asked him to forgive me, of  wish he did and didn’t complain, the funniest part was that his sister came to the house and took some food the  jollof  rice along with her, without testing it, I ask him not to tell her go with it but she refuse and went with the tasteless rice., i believe she'll complain.
sad
undecided sad sad sad
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by nellaluv(f): 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
^ ^ big fck-up sad , cheer up its in the past cheesy
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Kzea: 6:52pm On Jun 02, 2010
THE VERY FIRST TIME I COOKED RICE WEN I GAINED ADMISSION.
IT was really funnny.i had excess salt to the rice and extra excess to the stew.and the whole food was salty.the most funny part of it was that a new girlfriend came to my house that day and she was like
what . embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
at the end, i tried to apologise,bt with time i work on my cooking
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by browncocos(f): 7:19pm On Jun 02, 2010
i added ground ogbonno to my eggs while frying it(i thought it was ground crayfish)
it was a disaster slimy but tasty eggs ,u needed to see all the other serenren i added b4 o(onion,jalapeno peppers to name a few)
the thing was sweet sha but 4 d sliminess
needless to say my cousins had a huge laugh at my expense lol
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Iyineda(m): 8:08pm On Jun 02, 2010
Burnt pizza.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by v3: 8:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
My cooking disaster?

I think twas the first time i was having a lady come over for lunch last weekend, she loves rice. .so i decided to whip some up and it turned out to be a nightmare as the rice had taken-in too much water and the stew that was to follow was equally tasteless (after all my bragging on top phone about being a world class chef).
She had to visit the toilet like 3 times b4 leaving.

I've had to stick with my mom lately to learn if i'd missed more than i shouldn't have. .

I love food and the hands that take their time to prepare them.
Sometimes, I wonder where Adam play go when God was sharing 'kitchen talent' or giving cooking lessons sad

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by Sagamite(m): 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2010
I was in nursery school (about 4 or so), my food was being made by a gran-aunt. She was boiling an egg for me to have a sandwich with tea.

I got a little impatient/curious and went to the kitchen to have a look at how the egg is doing in hot water.

Took the handle for the pot from the stove that was taller than me. Lifted it to check the egg.

My weak hands were not strong enough and I poured the boiling hot water all over my belly.

Burnt flesh was smelling all over. Had to be rushed to hospital.

Stomach with a scar for years after that but has disappeared now.
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by tjskii(f): 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2010
mine happened wen i was bout 15,was trying to make amala,but prepared it using the lafun method(u know bringing the water down then adding the yam flour,instead of adding the flour while the water is still on fire)twas a disater,the thing refused to thicken,at the end of the day poured it in to a nylon bag and threw it away grin grin i still smile wwen i think of it
Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by israelite(m): 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2010
Am a very good cook, i started cooking when i was 10yrs old even my grandma prefers i cook instead of my sister , i cook like semo, white amala, eba, beans moin moin , etc , but there was this fateful day i was cooking beans and wanted to add palmoil, as a result of NEPA failure to provide electricity that moment i mistakenly add 1 liter of kerosene to the beans but i noticed as the aroma of the sweet kerosene beans i had to put every thing to the drainage, very funny me and Bleep NEPA,

1 Like

Re: Mention Your Cooking Disasters Here by GhanaGal: 9:24pm On Jun 02, 2010
omg, decided 2 make a suprise meal 4 my boyfriend n da stew ended up bein something else. (chicken stew), i over cooked da chicken dat it became so soft n mashy. Not knowin he came bk home wit he's friends n dey were all hungry, dat night woz a disaster, lol. That was my first tym of cookin 4 him as well, IT WAS SOOOOOO SHAMEFUL.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asun ( Barbecued Goat Meat) / Farm Fresh Pork For Sale In Lagos / Yam Pounder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.