Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) (505 Views)

Sexual Harrassment And Consent: Sexual Education 101 (for Dummies) / The Many, many types of STD's: Sexual Education 101 (for Dummies) / The 18 Different Methods Of Birth Control: Sex Education 101 (for Dummies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) by Ivorianaija(f): 2:18am On May 11, 2018
When is the right time to have a baby?

Becoming a parent is a big deal, and there’s a lot to think about. Everyone’s situation is different, but the decision is personal and only you can know when you’re ready.

Why do people decide to become parents?
Parenting can be joyful, rewarding, and life-changing — many parents say it’s the best decision they ever made. The loving bond you share with your kids and the pride you take in your child’s accomplishments can be really fulfilling.
Raising a child not only takes a lot of love, it also takes a lot of energy and patience. Your child’s needs will change constantly as they grow. As a parent, your job is to figure out what your child needs to live a happy and healthy life, and do your best to help make it happen.
Raising a child can be easier to handle if you have realistic ideas about what it means to be a parent.

Can I meet all of my child’s needs?

Even though it can be fun and satisfying, parenting is also super hard. Children depend on you for EVERYTHING, including food, shelter, safety, affection, love, and guidance.
Ask yourself if you have what you need to take care of a child, like:

Time — raising children is a super-important full-time job, and it can impact your other plans and goals.

Energy and care — children need parents who are loving, patient, and involved.

Planning — raising a child takes day-to-day planning and long-term planning for all the stages of your child's life.

Material things and money — children need clothes, diapers, food, health care, day care, etc.

Parents have to give up a lot for their children, and meeting your child’s needs can be frustrating and challenging. People who are raising kids usually get less sleep and don’t have as much time to do things they need and want to do. Having a baby is expensive, and many people find parenting hard financially.
Most people don’t realize how much work raising a child takes until they’ve actually experienced it. Talking with other parents about the joys and struggles of parenting can help you figure out if you’re ready to raise a child.

When should I have a baby?

Even though a lot of people expect to recognize the “perfect time” to have a baby, the reality is the timing may never feel totally perfect. But certain points in our lives are usually better than others to become a parent — like when you know you can meet your child’s needs and give them a loving and healthy home.
It’s normal to have lots of different feelings about whether you’re ready to take on the challenge of parenting. Here are some things to think about:
1.Am I ready to be totally responsible for all of my child’s needs?

2.Will I be able to raise my child in a safe and healthy environment?

3.Can I afford to raise a child right now?

4.Who will I raise a child with? How will we share the work of parenting?

5.How much support will I have from my family and friends?

6.What would having a baby right now mean for my future?

7.How would having a baby right now affect my family?

8.Is someone pressuring me to become a parent?

9.Am I ready to go through pregnancy and childbirth?

10.Will I be able to take care of my health and get prenatal care in order to have a healthy pregnancy and child?

Parenting is a lifelong commitment. So no matter when you decide to become a parent, you’ve got to be totally sure it’s what you want to do for a very long time.
Re: So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) by Ivorianaija(f): 2:25am On May 11, 2018
What should I think about before raising a child?

Raising a child is a full-time job. Thinking ahead about the challenges you’ll face and the support you’ll need can help you prepare to be the best parent you can be.
What support will I need if I have a child?
Whether you’re a single parent or parenting with someone else, a child needs nonstop care and attention. Having a partner and/or family members to share the work of parenting makes the job a lot easier. Most parents need help, especially when it comes to money and time. The kind of support parents often need includes help with running errands, getting clothes and baby supplies (hand-me-downs are really helpful), babysitting, and just having someone to talk with.

Parenting with a partner is usually easier than parenting alone, but it can put some serious stress on even the best relationships. Raising a child on your own has unique benefits and challenges. Either way, being realistic about your day-to-day life and the support you’ll need is important when you’re thinking about raising a child.

How will parenting work with my partner and me?
Parenting with a romantic partner or a co-parent helps both parents feel supported, and many couples enjoy sharing the responsibility of raising a child. Creating a family with someone can be really rewarding, and it may even bring you closer together.
But most people find that having a child tests even the strongest relationship in ways they don’t expect. Sometimes the stress is just too much and the relationship doesn’t last.
Either way, your relationship with your partner will change when you have a baby. Parenting together takes good communication and a commitment to stick through the hard times. If you’re considering parenting with a partner, here are some questions to think about:

Is our relationship healthy enough to provide a loving and stable home for a child?

Do we agree on when to have a baby?

Will we communicate openly and honestly with each other?

Will we share the financial responsibility of caring for our child?

Will we share the day-to-day work of caring for our child?

Do we agree on how child care and/or daycare is going to work?

Can we deal with the strains that pregnancy and raising a child puts on relationships?

If our relationship ends, how would we continue to parent?

Talking about these questions together can help you figure out if the two of you have similar expectations about having a baby. No matter what, parenting with someone else takes teamwork, patience, and compromise. It works best when both people are deeply committed, and agree on what they each expect from the relationship and raising a child together.

How do I parent without a partner?
Many people find themselves parenting on their own, or they choose to become single parents. Being a single parent can be tough, but it’s definitely not impossible. Plenty of people do it, and many single-parent families are healthy and happy. Parenting on your own has unique advantages, too. You won’t have to make compromises with a partner, so you can raise your child exactly the way you want — with your values, principles, and beliefs.

For most people, raising a child on their own is also super challenging. The responsibility for your child is 100% on you, and you may have to make a lot of sacrifices that you don’t expect. For example, it may be harder to find and keep a romantic relationship as a single parent.
If you’re planning to raise a child without a partner, questions about money, career or school, and other types of support can be even more important.
Ask yourself:
What would raising a baby by myself mean for my future goals and plans?

How much support will I have from my friends, family, and community?

Can I handle the financial responsibility of caring for a child on my own?

Can I handle the day-to-day work of caring for a child on my own?

Who will take care of my child when I’m working or going to school? Can I afford child care/nanny/babysitter?

Is there someone I trust who is willing to take care of my child at the last minute if I get sick or have to stay late somewhere?

How will I feel if having a child makes it hard to find a romantic relationship?

If you're thinking about parenting on your own, talk with your family and friends about the help you’ll need. Be realistic about how much time, energy, and money the people in your life can give to you and your baby. You may also be able to get help from certain government programs, but they usually only cover part of what you need to provide for your child.

I’m ready to have a baby. What should I do now?

Having a healthy pregnancy starts BEFORE you get pregnant. Once you’ve decided you’re ready to have a baby, visit a doctor or your local Planned Parenthood health center for preconception care. Your nurse or doctor will talk with you about things like your physical health, your mental health, your diet, and your lifestyle. They’ll also give you any exams or screenings you might need so you can go into your pregnancy as healthy as possible.

Contact your local Planned Parenthood health center to make an appointment for preconception care, or for help finding a doctor in your area. Some local health departments or community health clinics may also provide preconception care.
Re: So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) by aristocrazzy: 4:32am On May 11, 2018
lemme save this page, will be useful later in life not now that I'm looking for raba to pay rent..
Re: So, You're Ready For A Child?: Sexual/pregnancy Education 101 (for Dummies) by natureem: 8:05am On May 11, 2018
Nice tips, thank you

(1) (Reply)

“I Slept With My Boyfriend’s Best Friend, Now He Wants To Marry Me” – Nigerian W / Signs That She Doesn't Like You / 7 Reasons Why Your Relationship Is Boring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.