Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It (87608 Views)

Two Lessons You Have To Unlearn If You Want To Be Rich / Tomato Factory: Dangote, Kubau Communities To Resolve Land Dispute / Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Hardeybohwarley(m): 5:40pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects finance ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.
Must you always display you dirty linen in public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 12, 2018
CoolFreeday:
if this is true, then I'm going to add tomato to list of what to farm.

I dont know why Nigerians don't like farming though its very lucrative

How many farms do you have? When was last you entered a farm?

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Drversatile: 5:41pm On May 12, 2018
If this is true then Dangote too don enter one chance too
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by madridguy(m): 5:41pm On May 12, 2018
Eye opener article.

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 12, 2018
[quote author=Solstar post=67500343]

Go ahead.[/quote

You seems a good business analyst. I really adore such creativity, am contacting you purposely for mentorship. Have PM you, already.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Olatara(f): 5:43pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects finance ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.
I love this, do you think electric car will make sense in Nigeria? nothing is working.

8 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by SailorXY: 5:43pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

That Dangote of a man is scam personified. I laugh when I read some comments about how being "shrewd" is key & mostly wonder how terrible the average Nigerian man is @ reasoning.

Very few families swallow what is meant for a massive population through shenanigans that are not even clever by half & most of the dying souls in the same population are the chief defenders, cheerleaders & rioters for status quo to fester.

8 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by grandstar(m): 5:44pm On May 12, 2018
makaius:
M C D A V E F U N D S. C O M gives you the opportunity to receive a stable profit from their various portfolio. i think they have all it takes.The investment packages they provide offer the combination of high returns balanced with expert risk management which allows a safe and sustainable operation. they provide professional account management with top-notch support and customer service.

MMM reborn!

Anyway, its none of my business

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 5:45pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:
Did he not do a feasibility study before venturing into a business with limited raw material?

As much as i respect Aliko Dangote, i think he's overrated as a business man because i can count how many businesses that he has failed at even as Nigeria's business man.

Bros forget o.

I worked with this guy as far back as 16 years ago. He is about the "shrewdest" business man I have met in all my almost 2 decades in banking an FMCG industries.

Yes he and a couple of guys had the unfair advantage of having govt created monopolies (in some cases duopolies) but that era was over more than a decade ago and at that point of change he was almost bankrupt. He clawed his way back up and changed his tactics. He moved from a rent taker to a creator of value (importer to manufacturer). You can compare him with his fellow monopolies and the understanding of his business acumen becomes obvious.

Where are the other beneficiaries of govt monopolies? How many factories have they built, how many people do they employ, how much tax do they contribute to the Nigerian economy?

Overrated - no I don't think so one bit!

H

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 5:45pm On May 12, 2018
Opinionated:
By Aroms Aigbehi

Spain produces 850 000 mT of raw tomatoes yearly. That is 12% of total European production. That is a lot of tomatoes because the Europeans eat lots of tomatoes. Lots of Nigerians work in the tomato farms in Spain.

They have so much tomatoes in Spain that once a year the Spanish will come together and have a very big tomato fight on the street. They will come with truck loads of tomatoes and people can fight each other with it all day. It is tradition and nobody gets hurt. But when you go to Spain just make sure you stay away from the Bull Run. That one also happens every year but don’t mix them up.

In Nigeria, many brilliant people thought the problem of tomatoes shortage was there wasn’t enough processing power to process the tomatoes produced, and were left to rot. Mr. Aliko Dangote got that information too, so he thought why not build a mega tomato factory to process all that tomatoes?

But he thought lets have a plan B. Lets recruit more farmers to produce tomatoes in case the present capacity was not enough.

As it happened, when the factory was completed the tomatoes available in Nigeria could only run the factory for few weeks and there wasn’t enough tomatoes. The country produce too little. Where are all the tomatoes the Minister said were spoiling in Nigeria due to lack of processing power? Stories.

Now Mr. Dangote is stuck with his tomato processing factory and has called in the Italians to come and build and run a very big tomatoes farm in Nigeria so he can run the processing factory.

This is the problem when people believe in fables and live in a fictional reality.

Hmm. could it have been a spiritual attack on Dangote?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/dangote-closed-tomato-factory/

factory is owned by sani gote dansa not aliko dangote of dangote group

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ElFabchuks(m): 5:46pm On May 12, 2018
I don't know who you are
But I will find you and I will give you an accolade you deserve
Solstar:

5 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ashjay001(m): 5:47pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:
Did he not do a feasibility study before venturing into a business with limited raw material?

As much as i respect Aliko Dangote, i think he's overrated as a business man because i can count how many businesses that he has failed at even as Nigeria's business man.

Since d op, called himself, opinionated, I wan pass, but as u sef don chook mouth, make I join utongue

Person invest that kain sum, u dey make noise, say no produce na him cause am? Ur write up, na just postulation! And, until we hear from d horses mouth, all na postulations!

Nigeria, has an immediate need for refineries, billions will still be made, before electric cars become d norm!

I refused, for d past several years, to grow my biz(diesel gens), cos I tot, our leaders, can't but get power right. Nowadays, I'm far behind my contemporaries, waiting for salaries, to surviveangry

Thats how, pple like u, were saying, cement manufacturing, ain't viable, we all know, how that's ended up

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by lekkan(m): 5:48pm On May 12, 2018
Fool is your LastName..... Did the OP ever mention anything about religion Why not go through the write up again or give it to people who can read and understand to explain to you??
Solstar:

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by tosinet(m): 5:48pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

Building a solar panel manufacturing plant in Nigeria would have been really relevant as part of reasons its still expensive is the shipping cost from countries like China ,Germany USA etc.
It would have made solar panels readily available and cheap and every home is a potential customer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by package7(m): 5:48pm On May 12, 2018
I have enough tomatoes to go round the whole West Africa .

Please, Someone should give my number to Mr Aliko Dangote as a matter of urgency 0703032****

Enough tomatoes at my backyard. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 5:48pm On May 12, 2018
36STATES:
Dangote doesn't run a business where there is no monopoly and government helping hand.
Check all his business, they are out of the reach of anyone without government backing.

Not true today sir. Which of his businesses today enjoy Govt monopoly?

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by frankmoney(m): 5:50pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

you that is not a religious person why haven't you planted tomatoes

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 12, 2018
tosinet:

Building a solar panel manufacturing plant in Nigeria would have been really relevant as part of reasons its still expensive is the shipping cost from countries like China ,Germany USA etc.
It would have made solar panels readily available and cheap and every home is a potential customer.

Yeah, Solar modules are not rocket science, you too can do it. It is just basic chemistry. Do not wait for a Dangote, you can be the next Solar billionaire.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by CarlosTheJackal: 5:55pm On May 12, 2018
lekkan:
Fool is your LastName..... Did the OP ever mention anything about religion Why not go through the write up again or give it to people who can read and understand to explain to you??
I pity your brain because it's a threat to everyone

7 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Tokziby: 5:56pm On May 12, 2018
hypnotic:
I beg to differ, please do a proper research. Tomato import tariff is our problem not local production quantity.

If the aspersion of the writer is correct, why is fed govt going on rice farming programs and empowering people? what happened to tomato empowerment programs for farmers since there is a factory to turn it to paste (offtaker)?

The importers have a big say on local production capacity in Nigeria because of bilateral agreement we have signed with foreign blocs so govt prefers to import than to develop local capacity, just like the up and down dance we have in the dairy sector on local production versus milk import tax

The guy lied too much. How can a business rely too much on hearsay without carrying out proper feasibility study.
I was opportuned to attend a lecture on Agribusiness where the CEO of Dangote tomato lectured. And he rightly pointed out that importation of tomato paste was killing their business. The imported tomato was a bit cheaper and they lack patronage from the Nigerian Market.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 12, 2018
SailorXY:
That Dangote of a man is scam personified. I laugh when I read some comments about how being "shrewd" is key & mostly wonder how terrible the average Nigerian man is @ reasoning.

Very few families swallow what is meant for a massive population through shenanigans that are not even clever by half & most of the dying souls in the same population are the chief defenders, cheerleaders & rioters for status quo to fester.

Baffles me sir, it baffles me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by daywalker12911(m): 5:57pm On May 12, 2018
This post of for nursery school kids. You think a man like Dangote or any other man for that matter will set up a multi million dollar factory without doing proper due diligence.
Oga do a proper research and let us know cry

9 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 12, 2018
Olatara:
I love this, do you think electric car will make sense in Nigeria? nothing is working.

Electric car charging is easy even with energy storage systems or directly from the PV systems, increase the voltage and regulate the Amps and the car will charge at a faster pace.

Listen Sir, the future is for people who really understand the physics of life. Only the intentional ignoramus will suffer, and actually, illiterates have no future in the New World Order. It is time for people to wake up or die or poverty.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 12, 2018
Wow
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by tosinet(m): 6:03pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

Yeah, Solar modules are not rocket science, you too can do it. It is just basic chemistry. Do not wait for a Dangote, you can be the next Solar billionaire.

Its true sha, I've already been researching ways to manufacture solar cells, most of the data I've been seeing is about coupling existing solar cells that by the way has to be imported too. I so much like the idea of making the panels affordable.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by GreatManBee: 6:03pm On May 12, 2018
Opinionated:
By Aroms Aigbehi

Spain produces 850 000 mT of raw tomatoes yearly. That is 12% of total European production. That is a lot of tomatoes because the Europeans eat lots of tomatoes. Lots of Nigerians work in the tomato farms in Spain.

They have so much tomatoes in Spain that once a year the Spanish will come together and have a very big tomato fight on the street. They will come with truck loads of tomatoes and people can fight each other with it all day. It is tradition and nobody gets hurt. But when you go to Spain just make sure you stay away from the Bull Run. That one also happens every year but don’t mix them up.

In Nigeria, many brilliant people thought the problem of tomatoes shortage was there wasn’t enough processing power to process the tomatoes produced, and were left to rot. Mr. Aliko Dangote got that information too, so he thought why not build a mega tomato factory to process all that tomatoes?

But he thought lets have a plan B. Lets recruit more farmers to produce tomatoes in case the present capacity was not enough.

As it happened, when the factory was completed the tomatoes available in Nigeria could only run the factory for few weeks and there wasn’t enough tomatoes. The country produce too little. Where are all the tomatoes the Minister said were spoiling in Nigeria due to lack of processing power? Stories.

Now Mr. Dangote is stuck with his tomato processing factory and has called in the Italians to come and build and run a very big tomatoes farm in Nigeria so he can run the processing factory.

This is the problem when people believe in fables and live in a fictional reality.

Hmm. could it have been a spiritual attack on Dangote?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/dangote-closed-tomato-factory/

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by olowo1995(m): 6:04pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

Everything is all about luck, nothing is guaranteed even life is not guaranteed that is why we die, the man is just trying to garner some things if it will work and in Nigeria for a business to work effectively mehn one has to work tirelessly because the major cause of this is government policy, let look at the 5% that is added into this solar product pls what is the exchange rate at which all this is brought in and now government has 5% to it then it makes prices go up, if someone got a loan to start this business and government did this and it is not planned for before writing ur feasibility study pls what will he do, it will slow down the business not only that oooo, state government is there and local government is there as well ooo they will collect their own pls how will business grow with this kind of country we find ourselves and yet they criticize themselves over who work best as the leader or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by bluke(m): 6:04pm On May 12, 2018
traeces:

For us to carry on a discourse, tell me the capacity of this plant and I will tell you what size of green house will fully supply the plants daily input

greenhouse cant be used for processing but for stores.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:06pm On May 12, 2018
lekkan:
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by bluke(m): 6:06pm On May 12, 2018
tosinet:

Its true sha, I've already been researching ways to manufacture solar cells, most of the data I've been seeing is about coupling existing solar cells that by the way has to be imported too. I so much like the idea of making the panels affordable.

even china does not produce quality cells.
buy the cells in europe and build the panels
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by karlboss: 6:06pm On May 12, 2018
I was in the North last year and I discussed with a tomato Farmer, we discussed why dangote tomato processing plant closed ( I was thinking it was unfavorable policies of government) but the farmer said no he said tomato Farmer can't supply tomato to dangote because dangote company buys a kilo of tomato for 20 naira. Farmers make much money selling to open market than selling to dangote. Dangote tomato farm can't supply Nigeria as a whole

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Access Bank Reacts To Porn Video That Appeared On A Screen At Its UNILAG Branch / 15 Fastest Growing Small Business OPPORTUNITIES and IDEAS In Nigeria For 2013 / SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.