Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It (87586 Views)

Two Lessons You Have To Unlearn If You Want To Be Rich / Tomato Factory: Dangote, Kubau Communities To Resolve Land Dispute / Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Propene: 10:00am On May 13, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects financed ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 10:01am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
oga u don't know any thing about dansa ....the tomato factory is a loan from Cbn 30 million dollar to bokir international this 3 companies is owned by sani dangote and it facing serious challenge are bankrupt

Oga Is that all you know and you say you know something? I laugh in Greek. I am talking about the genesis of the so called Dansa itself. They are one and the same. That they are separate legal entities is true but if indeed you know about the brothers you will know that there would never have been any Dansa without Dangote.

If you knew the 2 as far back as 1999 come back and talk to me with historical facts and not today's story you picked off the net
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 10:07am On May 13, 2018
Bishopsgate:

Oga Is that all you know and you say you know something? I laugh in Greek. I am talking about the genesis of the so called Dansa itself. They are one and the same. That they are separate legal entities is true but if indeed you know about the brothers you will know that there would never have been any Dansa without Dangote.

If you knew the 2 as far back as 1999 come back and talk to me with historical facts and not today's story you picked off the net
know from 1987 when liberty bank was founded in Koki kano ....u know notting
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by OyinO: 10:09am On May 13, 2018
Corrupt monopoly guru. Shaame!
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 10:19am On May 13, 2018
authority2006:

Poor people have suffered. You stole the resources meant for their welfare and that of their children, you still turned 180° and called them DESTROYER OF THE ECONOMY! E no go better for you.

Poor man will always rain curses aimlessly. Powerless curses. Seriously, poor man will always suffer and you are right. I only pray you get out of your poverty mentality cos you are already finished. No be me inflict you with a poor mind. Chai! You are doomed bro. How can you get out of poverty? Guy, direct your curses to your papa and mama 5hat brought you into a poor life. Then direct that curse too to yourself 5hat have decided to remain poor.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by authority2006(m): 10:22am On May 13, 2018
Solstar:

True, but if you are great with relationship management and have the reputation grand enough to dine with politicians and sponsor both sides of the war, and live fugal, then the world will walk into your door steps dropping blank checks in anticipation that you are a worthy surrogate, and if you are truly one, then you know enough to put up Special Purpose Vehicles to keep the wheels running for more private investors.

Some of us went to Business Schools, so we know how the cookies crumble if we must toe that line. I am not against Dangote, I love him as a person, and I am actually excited that he is pulling it off without any challenger.

Who knows I might just get fed off enough to start my own convertible bonds ponzi.

Oh, l see. Going to business school meant you're better than Dangote at business! Dangote will teach your teachers lecturers the act of doing business.

Solstar:

Subsitute $18b in my write up with $14b and keep the remaining as your University thesis. I am not competing with any of you here on this private forum, I am stating the obvious, if you are smart enough to see, Sir.

I am not your enemy, so be nice to me. I am a friend. Dangote does not know business bro, he is just lucky to come from a place where criminals need a safe heaven and a surrogate. That to me, is the luck that has become Dangote and I love him for being smart, but does not mean he is the Business God that you guys have made out of him.

You're so full of propaganda and crappy mindset. But I'm not blaming you, you're an average Nigerian doing what you know how to do best.
Do you mind me telling your successful businesses? Or, you're one of those EDC people travelling all over the country, teaching people how to become successful in businesses without themselves having any business?
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by authority2006(m): 10:24am On May 13, 2018
fluentinfor:

Poor man will always rain curses aimlessly. Powerless curses. Seriously, poor man will always suffer and you are right. I only pray you get out of your poverty mentality cos you are already finished. No be me inflict you with a poor mind. Chai! You are doomed bro. How can you get out of poverty? Guy, direct your curses to your papa and mama 5hat brought you into a poor life. Then direct that curse too to yourself 5hat have decided to remain poor.

My point was simple and straightforward and in case you missed it, I was telling you that you are delusional.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by BetaThings: 10:45am On May 13, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

Please, we are not Mohammedans, we are Muslims
You should respect people enough to address them by what they call themselves
Dangote is a Muslim. So how is he able to settle quarrels among his 4 wives and still make money
How many Muslims are in polygamous relationships?
Are the people in the villages slaving away in the sun in the farms also with Alfas and Imams?

Solstar:
So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.
We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God
This is false assumption
It is not everyone that is lazy because they expect money to miraculously drop on their laps
Yahoo yahoo ritualists even have a different mindset; I concede that some truly misguided folks make excuses for those yahoo miscreants
Some people leave for work by 4.30am
Go and look at people on building sites
The major industries these days are the get-rich ones - betting, Ponzi, 419 etc. Islam prohibits all of them
Tomato is an agric produce afflicted by same farming issues in Nigeria
Majority of farmers in Nigeria are poor without the resources to move beyond subsistence level
Tomato cannot be stored easily like other crops and it cannot be farmed in the dry season without constant irrigation

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 10:50am On May 13, 2018
shocked
ahiboilandgas:
know from 1987 when liberty bank was founded in Koki kano ....u know notting

Haha.

In what capacity did you know them? Hearsay, pages of newspapers or TV and radio?

I worked at the head office at big leaf house on Bishop Oluwole in Victoria island.

You were silent on why both companies had the same logos until lately. Coincidence?
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 10:58am On May 13, 2018
Bishopsgate:
shocked

Haha.

In what capacity did you know them? Hearsay, pages of newspapers or TV and radio?

I worked at the head office at big leaf house on Bishop Oluwole in Victoria island.

You were silent on why both companies had the same logos until lately. Coincidence?
as a relative
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by GoodMuyis(m): 11:03am On May 13, 2018
Afam4eva:
Did he not do a feasibility study before venturing into a business with limited raw material?

As much as i respect Aliko Dangote, i think he's overrated as a business man because i can count how many businesses that he has failed at even as Nigeria's business man.

The report is false, come to kaduna state and see how much tone is wasted every year.

The real truth is the agreement fail between farmers and Dangote's factory on price of tomatoes per basket, which was ridiculously priced down, but farmers rejected the offer.

Mr. Dangote himself may not be aware of this Sha, Nigerian are one kind self centered
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 11:05am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
as a relative

How convenient... lol

At least we can't validate that....

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 11:14am On May 13, 2018
Bishopsgate:

How convenient... lol

At least we can't validate that....
no need to is it a trophy but don't post falsehood or thing u don't clearly know ...sani dangote was even the main industrialist with continental cement after alh usman amaka dantata ,majority of the brains in dangote group are sani staff in continental cement with late bello dangote main guy in dangote textile kano ...dangote textile,dansa juice dangote tomato kadawa kano ,bokir gas ,mowa water and ziza milk all 100 percent owned and run aground by sani dangote don't post falsehood u know notting
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 11:23am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
no need to is it a trophy but don't post falsehood or thing u don't clearly know ...sani dangote was even the main industrialist with continental cement after alh usman amaka dantata ,majority of the brains in dangote group are sani staff in continental cement with late bello dangote main guy in dangote textile kano ...dangote textile,dansa juice dangote tomato kadawa kano ,bokir gas ,mowa water and ziza milk all 100 percent owned and run aground by sani dangote don't post falsehood u know notting

Bros you just proved my point.

Why are they sharing staff if they are not in sync. Even in your listing you listed both dangote industries and Dansa interchangeably as being run by Sanil Gote.

They are one and the same, regardless of the legal separation of entities.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 11:31am On May 13, 2018
Kunle alake ,Edwin ,knut where all recruited by sani and bello dangote for his textile juice and bank u don't know anything aliko later took them to dangote cement ,agro sack
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by ahiboilandgas: 11:37am On May 13, 2018
Bishopsgate:

Bros you just proved my point.

Why are they sharing staff if they are not in sync. Even in your listing you listed both dangote industries and Dansa interchangeably as being run by Sanil Gote.

They are one and the same, regardless of the legal separation of entities.
dansa juice has been sieze by Amcon for 9 bn fcmb facility while dansa oil and gas has 10 bn litigation with intercontinal bank any way they are brother there biz .....come and invest in my company oil and gas logistic 35 return on investment annually let grow out own too
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 11:40am On May 13, 2018
Ugosample:

Ibeto was not a serious person

Dangote was a "producer" of cement, Ibeto was an importer, so Obasanjo made law to discourage importation so that the local producer (Dangote) can make headway

No country in this world supports importers over producers

But trust my people, they will say its because Ibeto is Igbo or dangote is close to the govt

If Ibeto is that good, why not lobby the govt to give him a soft landing, so that he can make a switch from importation to production?

That said, Ibeto is now into production sha, but it's too little too late.

""Dangote was a "producer" of cement""

I didn't read beyond where u posted this.

This is an industry u are not a part of and u were never a part of in the past so u have a zero knowledge or understanding.

Read my lips ""AS WE SPEAK, DANGOTE STILL IMPORTS CEMENT IN NIGERIA JUST LIKE PORTLAND, BUA, UNICERN IBETO, ELEPHANT, ETC"".

I have nothing else to tell a teenager.

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Ugosample(m): 12:15pm On May 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

""Dangote was a "producer" of cement""

I didn't read beyond where u posted this.

This is an industry u are not a part of and u were never a part of in the past so u have a zero knowledge or understanding.

Read my lips ""AS WE SPEAK, DANGOTE STILL IMPORTS CEMENT IN NIGERIA JUST LIKE PORTLAND, BUA, UNICERN IBETO, ELEPHANT, ETC"".

I have nothing else to tell a teenager.

I am NOT a teenager tho.

Dangote have cement plants in Nigeria, and infact, the mines in Edo state is currently in contention between Dangote and BUA

Even the overrated Ibeto has keyed into local production of cement, (I can't remember the name again sef)

There are cement plants across the country owned by Dangote, BUA, etc.
Heck, this man even has a cement plant in Zambia and a few other places.

Dangote lobbied better, and made the shift from 100 % importation to running cement plants in Nigeria. Ibeto didn't, and he got his legs broken

That's business
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by gameboyo: 12:50pm On May 13, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
so you prefer business with stiff competition?

Business should be liberal not monopolized. The only business he's succeeded is the business where monopoly was created just for him to strive and that's not ideal. Do u know what would have happened to adenuga if glo was given the monopoly to operate alone? I think he would have been Richer than dangote today
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by emmanuelpopson(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2018
that is business for you.you make some work and others may fail... he also failed in the noodles and spaghetti factory. this makes him a Human who can make error...
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 13, 2018
Ugosample:

I am NOT a teenager tho.

Dangote have cement plants in Nigeria, and infact, the mines in Edo state is currently in contention between Dangote and BUA

Even the overrated Ibeto has keyed into local production of cement, (I can't remember the name again sef)

There are cement plants across the country owned by Dangote, BUA, etc.
Heck, this man even has a cement plant in Zambia and a few other places.

Dangote lobbied better, and made the shift from 100 % importation to running cement plants in Nigeria. Ibeto didn't, and he got his legs broken

That's business

Just stop fooooling urself, Nothing is manufactured in Nigeria. Even satchet water bag is imported from other countries. We only import finished products, Or we import raw materials/already made parts n then assemble in Nigeria.

Over 90% of cement sold in Nigeria are imported, in most cases they import the finished product n bag it within the country.

Cement produced abroad in Asia is far cheaper than the ones produced in Nigeria. As long as ur producing cement in Nigeria, U can't compete with the importers because the cost of production in Nigeria is extremely high.

Almost ALL of the cement sold into Nigeria are imported, Including Dangote
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Ugosample(m): 1:13pm On May 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Just stop fooooling urself, Nothing is manufactured in Nigeria. Even satchet water bag is imported from other countries. We only import finished products, Or we import raw materials/already made parts n then assemble in Nigeria.

Over 90% of cement sold in Nigeria are imported, in most cases they import the finished product n bag it within the country.

Cement produced abroad in Asia is far cheaper than the ones produced in Nigeria. As long as ur producing cement in Nigeria, U can't compete with the importers because the cost of production in Nigeria is extremely high.

Almost ALL of the cement sold into Nigeria are imported, Including Dangote

Oh lawd

Dangote is producing cement and has been doing that for a long time now

His cement plants are scattered across Kogi, Edo, even Ogun state.

And he is not the only one.
Even the sack is made in Nigeria, so what are you saying
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 13, 2018
Ugosample:

Oh lawd

Dangote is producing cement and has been doing that for a long time now

His cement plants are scattered across Kogi, Edo, even Ogun state.

And he is not the only one.
Even the sack is made in Nigeria, so what are you saying

Dangote imports cement, Simple.

U won't get such information from his fake plants, Rather u will get it in the nations Wharfs.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Chukazu: 1:35pm On May 13, 2018
mfm04622:

Go and check your date very well. Dangote STARTED building the factory during PDP's era. So if it is lies that led to him doing that, it was PDP lies

He started the factory under Jonathan because he saw prospects but Buhari came and destroyed the economy
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by mfm04622: 1:50pm On May 13, 2018
Chukazu:

He started the factory under Jonathan because he saw prospects but Buhari came and destroyed the economy

How did absence of tomatoes due to insect attack Buhari's fault? How exactly did Buhari destroy the economy? So Bihari's actions also affected countries that depends on crude oil too as they were affected by recession the same time with Nigeria? Please keep up
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by mfm04622: 1:51pm On May 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Dangote imports cement, Simple.

U won't get such information from his fake plants, Rather u will get it in the nations Wharfs.

Lol!!!! That is the only response your answer deserves
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Acidosis(m): 5:06pm On May 13, 2018
Dangote needs to hire highly intelligent business analysts/strategists. Application of "Porter's 5 Forces", "Bowman's Clock" and other strategic analysis tools would have revealed the supplier issues.

Although, I'm yet to fully agree with the issues raised by @OP.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 13, 2018
Solstar:

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects financed ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.
too much sense!
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Jethrolite(m): 7:24pm On May 13, 2018
Solstar:

You were sounding really smart until you said Dangote is making terrible business mistakes. You know nothing, no insult intended. The risk analysis department of Dangote Industries Limited is probably one of the biggest and most resourceful in Africa. If it was not viable, he will not do it.

What is all this talk about his funding? Do you know Dangote was paid over N150bn in dividends by DIL subsidiaries from his share holding alone this year. That is aside his monthly income as President of DIL. How much can he spend? And the man is at the point where he can access $10bn with $1bn equity at single digit.

When he(DIL) takes a loan, DIL services the loan. DIL has a subsidiary(Dancem) that makes insane net profit. So why are you surprised at the speed he can pay back loans?

Instead of wasting time analysing this man's wealth, learn what you can from him and focus on building your business and hope you will make something of it one day.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bovis(m): 8:45pm On May 13, 2018
Solstar:

I really have limited time to continue on these back and forth. But let me state that investing $14b to $18b in a refinery that is not near the wells in a country that has double digits inflation, double digits interest rate and an approval for Modular Refineries is not the best idea. How will he deliver the feed ? Piping ? (capital intensive, exposure to vandalism, expense on pipeline survellance), Trucking (bad idea), Rail transport (capital intensive).

Modular refiners site their plants at the epicenters of the oil and Independent marketers drive in, load products and move to destination, this is a better business module.

I dont know about you guys but there are better things to invest $14b to $18b into and get better RoIs. In fact, I think he is targeting other African countries with the investment, cos it is easier to ship the products abroad but he didnt evaluate the permanent cost associated with delivery of the feed from wells to his plant.

You’re beginning to sound like a joker and player hater

Most refineries in the world are sited far away from Oil wells or why are most refineries located in countries with virtually no oil
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Kobicove(m): 5:17am On May 14, 2018
CoolFreeday:
if this is true, then I'm going to add tomato to list of what to farm.

I dont know why Nigerians don't like farming though its very lucrative

Nigerians see farming as a dirty occupation sad
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Ayobami7(m): 11:42am On May 14, 2018
Noted

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Access Bank Reacts To Porn Video That Appeared On A Screen At Its UNILAG Branch / 15 Fastest Growing Small Business OPPORTUNITIES and IDEAS In Nigeria For 2013 / SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.