Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It (87595 Views)

Two Lessons You Have To Unlearn If You Want To Be Rich / Tomato Factory: Dangote, Kubau Communities To Resolve Land Dispute / Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by adecz: 6:07pm On May 12, 2018
Tomato glut is only within 3 months
in the year, December to February.

So, if you think you want to establish a
tomato processing plant to run all year,
you're just fooling yourself.

Tomatoes only do well when irrigated, not
during the excessive wetness of the raining
season with all the bugs & deluges that knockoff
the flowers.

A proper tomato processing business plan
calls for intense processing by pureeing,
& storage during the glut
period & marketing during off period.

He should have seen me before starting... wink wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 12, 2018
tosinet:

Its true sha, I've already been researching ways to manufacture solar cells, most of the data I've been seeing is about coupling existing solar cells that by the way has to be imported too. I so much like the idea of making the panels affordable.

Sir,

What if I told you, that you have all that you need to power your home and even design batteries to store your daily required electricity in your home now, even in your kitchen ?

There is nothing complex about generating and storing electricity.

Go back to First Principles and ask yourself what is the basic chemistry behind Energy Storage.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by LegDoLand: 6:08pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects financed ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.

Deeeep!

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by abdullkabar(m): 6:10pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:
I love the way you ended it. It is not a spiritual attack, it is a religious attack.

Nigerians spend all their time fasting and praying and forget to get creative, then they run around to find fast money in order to buy imported food, cream, phone and wrist-watches so they dont have to waste time being creative when they should be worshipping God. Now churches run 5 services on Sundays, and a midweek service on wednesdays, not forgetting tarry nights and vigils.

The mohammedans are not left out, they pray a fuccking 5 times a day, and are constantly checking their time to make sure they dont miss a date with Allahu, what remains of their time is spent separating quarrels between their 4 wives, the rest is spent reminding the kids of the need to go to the Alfas and Imams for tutelages.

So, what time do we have to plant tomatoes or engineer apples that can grow on our climate.

We are not poor because we are religious, we are poor as a country because we have found an excuse in God.

Yet money does not grow on trees. Dangote should have known better. He has been making serious business mistakes of late, one of which is building $18B Refinery when electric cars and solar panels are the future. I really question the true source of his wealth. How are his projects financed ? From which sources ? He pays back loans at the speed of light, well, almost. Just to create impression of 'source' ? It could be these politicians just financing him till his retirement and eventual demise. It could just be a ponzi that takes money from early mules and paying the new politicians. I envy the man, I truly do, but if I have access to such money, then I should be able to buy up Nigeria and put everyone on a universal basic income from what I can do with that money.

As it is with the tomato factories, so will it be with the refineries in the next 20 yrs. This is the new world order.
what about considering the fact that Nigeria cannot run electric cars under the next 20 yrs and that within DT time he would probably have made much profit from the refinery....am not arguing with you,am just thinking outside the box u thought or the order side of your thought(clarify me if you can please,I love the way you saw everything,some other pesin would av said its a lie or something)

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by dnapstar(m): 6:11pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:
Did he not do a feasibility study before venturing into a business with limited raw material?

As much as i respect Aliko Dangote, i think he's overrated as a business man because i can count how many businesses that he has failed at even as Nigeria's business man.
Failure is In the DNA of every sucessful business man.

5 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by SternProphet: 6:12pm On May 12, 2018
Everybody missed the lesson in this story due to shallowness and lack of depth of thinking .
The TOMATO venture has not failed. The factory was wrongly sized for the available produce and ran out of raw mateial.
A factory can be mothballed and start up again but to leave a business because of a small mistake like this is strange
Dangote goes in big in everything. This is a big mistake. He should have started medium scale and grown his own supply chain organically through out grower farmers

6 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by abdullkabar(m): 6:15pm On May 12, 2018
adecz:

Tomato glut is only within 3 months
in the year, December to February.

So, if you think you want to establish a
tomato processing plant to run all year,
you're just fooling yourself.

Tomatoes only do well when irrigated, not
during the excessive wetness of the raining
season with all the bugs & deluges that knockoff
the flowers.

A proper tomato processing business plan
calls for intense processing by pureeing,
& storage during the glut
period & marketing during off period.

He should have seen me before starting... wink wink wink
what if say he had invested In artificial growth rooms or what is it called?
I feel there will definitely be a way around it,nothing is impossible,may just be hard and expensive

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 12, 2018
Opinionated:
By Aroms Aigbehi

Spain produces 850 000 mT of raw tomatoes yearly. That is 12% of total European production. That is a lot of tomatoes because the Europeans eat lots of tomatoes. Lots of Nigerians work in the tomato farms in Spain.

They have so much tomatoes in Spain that once a year the Spanish will come together and have a very big tomato fight on the street. They will come with truck loads of tomatoes and people can fight each other with it all day. It is tradition and nobody gets hurt. But when you go to Spain just make sure you stay away from the Bull Run. That one also happens every year but don’t mix them up.

In Nigeria, many brilliant people thought the problem of tomatoes shortage was there wasn’t enough processing power to process the tomatoes produced, and were left to rot. Mr. Aliko Dangote got that information too, so he thought why not build a mega tomato factory to process all that tomatoes?

But he thought lets have a plan B. Lets recruit more farmers to produce tomatoes in case the present capacity was not enough.

As it happened, when the factory was completed the tomatoes available in Nigeria could only run the factory for few weeks and there wasn’t enough tomatoes. The country produce too little. Where are all the tomatoes the Minister said were spoiling in Nigeria due to lack of processing power? Stories.

Now Mr. Dangote is stuck with his tomato processing factory and has called in the Italians to come and build and run a very big tomatoes farm in Nigeria so he can run the processing factory.

This is the problem when people believe in fables and live in a fictional reality.

Hmm. could it have been a spiritual attack on Dangote?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/dangote-closed-tomato-factory/

Poor analysis by the writer in my own opinion. So, the writer is saying that the richest man in Nigeria did not carry out his research very well? Well, I am sure the writer is naive about agriculture in Nigeria.

Dangote is not only a business man and investor, but also a philantropist.

Let me tell you, he ventured into agricultural processing because he does not want to take over the opportunities for farmers to earn more. If he had established his farm, all those poor farmers would have been crying that he took their land, jobs etc. Are we not in this Nigeria when one state governor was forcing him to invest in farmers in the north? They refused to sell him land, but suggested he partners with local farmers. You and I know how land issues are in Nigeria.

But have you really worked with those demons called local farmers? You get them free input - seeds, fertilizers, agrochemical, etc and they will produce well. Instead of them to sell back to you with discount as the contract says, they try to play smart by selling to another buyer in order to get full price. But you gave them the input free of charge. I guess the writer is naive who just woke up to write gabbage. The writer is the one with spiritual problems and not Dangote. Funny writer, he is asking if the richest man in Nigeria who can feed 10 generations of his, has got spiritual issues? Obviously, he is the one with spiritual blindness.

Was the writer in pluto when ebola bombarded tomato farms some years ago? Oh! The writer thinks it was accidental and happened the same period Aliko Dangote's factory was just starting? The writer is naive seriously that he does not know there are cabals in Agricultural businesses. So, if most farmers in Kano or Kaduna sell to dangote tomato factory, how will those cabals that import tomatoes to Lagos, Ogun, Uyo, Ibadan etc make cash. Do you know the kind of commission these cabals take from every truck that enters major markets? Seriously, some writers are suppose to be spanked. And this one is a candidate for 100 lashes.

This writer does not understand how GEJ and Adeshina Akinwunmi fought cabals in fertilizer subsidy. Honestly, some people just talk foolishly. And this writer is one. So annoying gabbage he wrote. I wish to know him personally and talk wisdom into his blocked head. So annoying.

Dangote knows the game. Let us just watch him. I believe his focus is more on the oil refinery he is building. In my own opinion, Aliko will be back. Aliko knows he needs to fight some cabals to make it work. Just let us wait patiently and see what happens next.

Lastly, it is true. Nigeria produces tomato almost too much. Majority get spoilt. It is very true. Successful tomato farmers are super rich. I know this because I am a farmer. My advice is that we should learn about a subject before making comments so we do not show some level of stupidity. It is annoying when people with zero faculty talk nonsemse about great minds. Aliko has my respect anyday, anytime.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:17pm On May 12, 2018
SailorXY:
That Dangote of a man is scam personified. I laugh when I read some comments about how being "shrewd" is key & mostly wonder how terrible the average Nigerian man is @ reasoning.

Very few families swallow what is meant for a massive population through shenanigans that are not even clever by half & most of the dying souls in the same population are the chief defenders, cheerleaders & rioters for status quo to fester.

Bro we live in a capitalist country at its infancy.

Your write up just defined CAPITALISM in its raw form.

The world is not, has never been, and will never be fair.

The day we decide to stop wailing and being the victims is the day you emancipate yourself from poverty and lack..

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Queenext: 6:18pm On May 12, 2018
lekkan:
Fool is your LastName..... Did the OP ever mention anything about religion Why not go through the write up again or give it to people who can read and understand to explain to you??
your reasoning is low,being abusive is the best shot you can take..

Why not come up with better argument, than throwing tantrum like a spoilt child

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by abdullkabar(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2018
SternProphet:
Everybody missed the lesson in this story due to shallowness and lack of depth of thinking .
The TOMATO venture has not failed. The factory was wrongly sized for the available produce and ran out of raw mateial.
A factory can be mothballed and start up again but to leave a business because of a small mistake like this is strange
Dangote goes in big in everything. This is a big mistake. He should have started medium scale and grown his own supply chain organically through out grower farmers
yes,he or probably his team should have thought of all possible hindrance,shortage of resource being among.would have been better if he created farms,employed farmers to make a large production,invested in good storage,artificial growth rooms etc,all these would have gone a long way and even getting information from Spain how its done
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
factory is owned by sani gote dansa not aliko dangote of dangote group

Bros Sani Gote is his brother. I can tell you this authoritatively. There is a very thin line here.

For the sake of privacy I will not even talk about why they separated the companies but it has to do with loans.

They are one and the same
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2018
ashjay001:

Since d op, called himself, opinionated, I wan pass, but as u sef don chook mouth, make I join utongue

Person invest that kain sum, u dey make noise, say no produce na him cause am? Ur write up, na just postulation! And, until we hear from d horses mouth, all na postulations!

Nigeria, has an immediate need for refineries, billions will still be made, before electric cars become d norm!

I refused, for d past several years, to grow my biz(diesel gens), cos I tot, our leaders, can't but get power right. Nowadays, I'm far behind my contemporaries, waiting for salaries, to surviveangry

Thats how, pple like u, were saying, cement manufacturing, ain't viable, we all know, how that's ended up

Very true o.

Dangote is the largest cement manufacturer in Africa and one of the largest in the world. He is acquiring mines all over Africa and still waxing strong

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by tdayof(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2018
Looks like crap. A startup won't fall into such claim not to talk of an experience and professional entrepreneur and buisnessman like Dangote.

Dangote an investor can never fall for such claim.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 12, 2018
abdullkabar:

what about considering the fact that Nigeria cannot run electric cars under the next 20 yrs and that within DT time he would probably have made much profit from the refinery....am not arguing with you,am just thinking outside the box u thought or the order side of your thought(clarify me if you can please,I love the way you saw everything,some other pesin would av said its a lie or something)

Sir,

First off, I am not aware if you know that the latest breakthroughs in lighting systems powered by LED technologies deliver brightness at as low as 5watts, yes and these lightings work on our present system design. Most of the gadgets for those who buy latest innovations in technologies do not consume more than 200 watts.

An electric vehicle on the average consume 34 kWh to travel 100 miles, that is 3,400 watts hour to travel 100 miles, and I personally do not move outside Lagos with my cars so, I hardly drive 20 miles a day. So I need 3400 divided by 20 which equals 17 watts and actually my refrigerator uses 200 watts, so you see, I need less power per hour than my refrigerator needs to keep the electric car running every hour.

Those are my calculations, you can do yours and trust me, when you know the Truth about electric cars, you will understand why I believe that Dangote designed a $18b Whitepaper to build a refinery, cos he knows;

1. The Refinery is not worth that amount
2. Politicians will rush in to hide illicit wealth
3. In the next 10 to 20 yrs refinery is shutdown for apparent reason, that fossil fuel is no longer very much used

Everyone is told they have lost their investments while he continues to stay rich. Needless to say that the politicians will make noise about it.

It is the best way to con these politicians. I am not saying Dangote is a con-artist, I am just saying his investments dont really make sense to me.

But hey, what do I know.

9 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Afam4eva(m): 6:26pm On May 12, 2018
Bishopsgate:

Bros forget o.

I worked with this guy as far back as 16 years ago. He is about the "shrewdest" business man I have met in all my almost 2 decades in banking an FMCG industries.

Yes he and a couple of guys had the unfair advantage of having govt created monopolies (in some cases duopolies) but that era was over more than a decade ago and at that point of change he was almost bankrupt. He clawed his way back up and changed his tactics. He moved from a rent taker to a creator of value (importer to manufacturer). You can compare him with his fellow monopolies and the understanding of his business acumen becomes obvious.

Where are the other beneficiaries of govt monopolies? How many factories have they built, how many people do they employ, how much tax do they contribute to the Nigerian economy?

Overrated - no I don't think so one bit!

H

Tell me who has wielded as much monopoly as Dangote has in the history of Nigeria?

The reason i'm calling his business acumen to question is that in every industry that he has delved into except cement and places where he had monopoly, he hasn't done well and has had to close down. Is it Dangote Spargetti, Indomie and the Telecoms company? Now the tomato company? Someone like Dangote, should, in the least do proper feasibility study before delving into any business. That's the baseline.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by abdullkabar(m): 6:26pm On May 12, 2018
fluentinfor:

Poor analysis by the writer in my own opinion. So, the writer is saying that the richest man in Nigeria did not carry out his research very well? Well, I am sure the writer is naive about agriculture in Nigeria.

Dangote is not only a business man and investor, but also a philantropist.

Let me tell you, he ventured into agricultural processing because he does not want to take over the opportunities for farmers to earn more. If he had established his farm, all those poor farmers would have been crying that he took their land, jobs etc. Are we not in this Nigeria when one state governor was forcing him to invest in farmers in the north? They refused to sell him land, but suggested he partners with local farmers. You and I know how land issues are in Nigeria.

But have you really worked with those demons called local farmers? You get them free input - seeds, fertilizers, agrochemical, etc and they will produce well. Instead of them to sell back to you with discount as the contract says, they try to play smart by selling to another buyer in order to get full price. But you gave them the input free of charge. I guess the writer is naive who just woke up to write gabbage. The writer is the one with spiritual problems and not Dangote. Funny writer, he is asking if the richest man in Nigeria who can feed 10 generations of his, has got spiritual issues? Obviously, he is the one with spiritual blindness.

Is the writer in pluto when ebola bombarded tomato farms some years ago? Oh! The writer thinks it is accidental it was the same period Aliko Dangote's factory was just starting? The writer is naive seriously that he does not know there are cabals in Agricultural businesses. So, if most farmers in Kano or Kaduna sell to dangote tomato factory, how will those cabals that import tomatoes to Lagos, Ogun, Uyo, Ibadan etc make cash. Do you know the kind of commission these cabals take from every truck that enters major markets? Seriously, some writers are suppose to be spanked. And this one is a candidate for 100 lashes.

This writer does not understand how GEJ and Adeshina Akinwunmi fought cabals in fertilizer subsidy. Honestly, some people just talk foolishly. And this writer is one. So annoying gabbage he wrote. I wish to know him personally and talk wisdom into his blocked head. So annoying.

Dangote knows the game. Let us just watch him. I believe his focus is more on the oil refinery he is building. In my own opinion, Aliko will be back. Aliko knows he needs to fight some cabals to make it work. Just let us wait patiently and see what happens next.

Lastly, it is true. Nigeria produces tomato almost too much. Majority get spoilt. It is very true. Successful tomato farmers are super rich. I know this because I am a farmer. My advice is that we should learn about a subject before making comments so we do not show some level of stupidity. It is annoying when people with zero faculty talk nonsemse about great minds. Aliko has my respect anyday, anytime.
wow,I like the angle you saw it from.
No wonder its hard to really make a difference in Nigeria,too much obstacles and things to consider
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by DSDLIVEREPORT: 6:27pm On May 12, 2018
Spiritual ke? Where is the agbana coming from?
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:29pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

I love your piece. It makes slot of sense and shows both intellectual prowess and humour. Thanks

I will like to answer one of the questions you asked on how he finances his projects:-

I have been opportuned to work in a couple of banks in Nigeria so I can tell you categorically that Dangote Industries is the most leveraged company in Nigeria.
Nigerian banks lend to him both in Naira and USD by creating consortiums of 5 or more banks.

He is also very leveraged internationally as he owes slot of foreign banks and finance corporations. These international loans are one of the advantages he has because they come in single digit interest rates and are usually collaterised with less ambiguity than In Nigeria.

Most businesses in Nigeria don't have people with banking experience that know how to access and utilise credit facilities (locally and internationally).

They take loans and from day one of operations they start to eat the gains forgetting that the loan and the costs have to be properly amortised and cycled out to determine it's break even point. It is only at that point that you can start jollofing. Nigerians mostly don't and that is why the businesses more often fail.

Dangote is a shrewed business man. Do you know that all DMBs in Nigeria have a pre-prepared credit line for him. He need to apply, they approach him because the factories are there, the value being created is visible, the costs and profit margins can be determined simply by looking at his business model.

I my view the man needs to come out more and share his knowledge and thoughts with people.

This is a Hausa man whose Yoruba is splendid. He is a good business man abeg

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by mfm04622: 6:29pm On May 12, 2018
Chukazu:
Audu Ogbe and and APC are cans of worms

Lying with lollipop in their mouths

Lie about Yam

Lie about Rice

Lie about Tomatoes shocked

Go and check your date very well. Dangote STARTED building the factory during PDP's era. So if it is lies that led to him doing that, it was PDP lies

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by SirToothBrush: 6:30pm On May 12, 2018
CoolFreeday:
if this is true, then I'm going to add tomato to list of what to farm.

I dont know why Nigerians don't like farming though its very lucrative
Until Fulani Herdsmen decides to pay you a visit
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by StudentsNG: 6:31pm On May 12, 2018
This is NOT a big lesson for Dangote as he only need to wait a few months for farmers to respond with the produce (his raw material).

It is a RATHER a BIG opportunity for a Nigerians who would venture into Tomato farming with high standards to hit the market before the Italians arrive.

But wait, if Dangote can build the processing plant what stops him from funding a farm alongside? Why bring Italians when we have bunch of Unemployed Agricultural Science Graduates littered here and there? Oh well, they want white collar jobs!

Opinionated:
By Aroms Aigbehi

Spain produces 850 000 mT of raw tomatoes yearly. That is 12% of total European production. That is a lot of tomatoes because the Europeans eat lots of tomatoes. Lots of Nigerians work in the tomato farms in Spain.

They have so much tomatoes in Spain that once a year the Spanish will come together and have a very big tomato fight on the street. They will come with truck loads of tomatoes and people can fight each other with it all day. It is tradition and nobody gets hurt. But when you go to Spain just make sure you stay away from the Bull Run. That one also happens every year but don’t mix them up.

In Nigeria, many brilliant people thought the problem of tomatoes shortage was there wasn’t enough processing power to process the tomatoes produced, and were left to rot. Mr. Aliko Dangote got that information too, so he thought why not build a mega tomato factory to process all that tomatoes?

But he thought lets have a plan B. Lets recruit more farmers to produce tomatoes in case the present capacity was not enough.

As it happened, when the factory was completed the tomatoes available in Nigeria could only run the factory for few weeks and there wasn’t enough tomatoes. The country produce too little. Where are all the tomatoes the Minister said were spoiling in Nigeria due to lack of processing power? Stories.

Now Mr. Dangote is stuck with his tomato processing factory and has called in the Italians to come and build and run a very big tomatoes farm in Nigeria so he can run the processing factory.

This is the problem when people believe in fables and live in a fictional reality.

Hmm. could it have been a spiritual attack on Dangote?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/dangote-closed-tomato-factory/

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by efficiencie(m): 6:32pm On May 12, 2018
Wow! It is surprising that a business mogul like Dangote does not base his decision making on sound business intelligence but mere fables if this write up is really true...In a country where charms, sexuality, social capital and brute force are the main tools in the toolbox of most socio-economic-political player it is expected that sheer competition based on access to information, insights and manpower will be lacking! As someone once said, and now I see it is true, Dangote is not an innovative entrepreneur but a manic opportunist...He sees what looks like an opportunity and he cashes in on it.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by abdullkabar(m): 6:32pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

Sir,

First off, I am not aware if you know that the latest breakthroughs in lighting systems powered by LED technologies deliver brightness at as low as 5watts, yes and these lightings work on our present system design. Most of the gadgets for those who buy latest innovations in technologies do not consume more than 200 watts.

An electric vehicle on the average consume 34 kWh to travel 100 miles, that is 3,400 watts hour to travel 100 miles, and I personally do not move outside Lagos with my cars so, I hardly drive 20 miles a day. So I need 3400 divided by 20 which equals 17 watts and actually my refrigerator uses 200 watts, so you see, I need less power per hour than my refrigerator needs to keep the electric car running every hour.

Those are my calculations, you can do yours and trust me, when you know the Truth about electric cars, you will understand why I believe that Dangote designed a $18b Whitepaper to build a refinery, cos he knows;

3. In the next 10 to 20 yrs refinery is shutdown for apparent reason, that fossil fuel is no longer very much used

Everyone is told they have lost their investments while he continues to stay rich. Needless to say that the politicians will make noise about it.

It is the best way to con these politicians. I am not saying Dangote is a con-artist, I am just saying his investments dont really make sense to me.

But hey, what do I know.
hmm,that's true.
i really liked the angle you saw everything from.
thanks for the time and energy of typing
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by mfm04622: 6:33pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

Tell me who has wielded as much monopoly as Dangote has in the history of Nigeria?

The reason i'm calling his business acumen to question is that in every industry that he has delved into except cement and places where he had monopoly, he hasn't done well and has had to close down. Is it Dangote Spargetti, Indomie and the Telecoms company? Now the tomato company? Someone like Dangote, should, in the least do proper feasibility study before delving into any business. That's the baseline.

Yes, Dangote relied on monopoly and govt help to succeed in business. However, as far as i know he has failed in only one business. The Spag and noddles business are one and the same and he never started the Telcom business. He got the licence and later sold it
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:35pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

The Nigerian environment is not an easy one my brother. If you do business in Nigeria and compare to any other country you will understand me.

Failure is bound to come in the course of life talk less of business but to succeed you need to see it as another opportunity to succeed.

The Thomas Edison story and that of other great entrepreneurs are very useful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 12, 2018
Pharaoh9:
I like this man,
I don't miss to watch his videos or read his posts

You pay for this advert? Or you think say seun dey run charity here.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by HallaDaTruth: 6:36pm On May 12, 2018
Chukazu:
Audu Ogbe and and APC are cans of worms

Lying with lollipop in their mouths

Lie about Yam

Lie about Rice

Lie about Tomatoes shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Bishopsgate(m): 6:40pm On May 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

Does anyone remember Horse cement owned by Yinka Folawiyo? That mans company enjoyed a quasi monopoly of the cement business in Nigeria at one point in time. He got his cement in bulk from Spain and all he did here was to bag it. His only real competitors were Elephant cement and cement company of Northern Nigeria

He never thought to build his own local capacity. Dangote came in and did just that and horse died a natural death. The man divested and went into oil and gas.
Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Pharaoh9(m): 6:41pm On May 12, 2018
Solstar:

Sir,

But hey, what do I know.

I WANT TO READ ALL YOUR POST, GOOD FOLLOWING YOU

3 Likes

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 12, 2018
Bishopsgate:

I love your piece. It makes slot of sense and shows both intellectual prowess and humour. Thanks

I will like to answer one of the questions you asked on how he finances his projects:-

I have been opportuned to work in a couple of banks in Nigeria so I can tell you categorically that Dangote Industries is the most leveraged company in Nigeria.
Nigerian banks lend to him both in Naira and USD by creating consortiums of 5 or more banks.

He is also very leveraged internationally as he owes slot of foreign banks and finance corporations. These international loans are one of the advantages he has because they come in single digit interest rates and are usually collaterised with less ambiguity than In Nigeria.

Most businesses in Nigeria don't have people with banking experience that know how to access and utilise credit facilities (locally and internationally).

They take loans and from day one of operations they start to eat the gains forgetting that the loan and the costs have to be properly amortised and cycled out to determine it's break even point. It is only at that point that you can start jollofing. Nigerians mostly don't and that is why the businesses more often fail.

Dangote is a screwed business man. Do you know that all DMBs in Nigeria have a pre-prepared credit line for him. He need to apply, they approach him because the factories are there, thanks cuz being created is visible, the costs and profit margins can be determined simply by looking at his business model.

I my view the man needs to come out more and share his knowledge and thoughts with people.

This is a Hausa man whose Yoruba is splendid. He is a good business man abeg

To your last line, I am not a tribalist, and I will never be one. Neither I will adjudge any human based on race, tribe or color, but I will use religion as a parameter some times because it is inductive learnings, the Gods have me to query for that. And I can sort it out with the Gods.

Regarding the Corporate Credit ratings of businesses in Nigeria, do not be carried away, banks beg me to come and take loans too, Yes and I am not boasting here. I design my whitepapers and design businesses that cant fail, because I start my businesses with understanding that they are bound to fail, then I start designing optimization and process-focused templates to cement the pot-holes and none of my businesses can actually fail, because competition is almost zero here if you are equipped with the right moets.

I had to paint the above picture to show you that Dangote's corporate rating is not the chief reason he is being hunted for loans. Nigerian banks are lazy, they are run by players who are too scared to design Special Purpose Vehicles for the Nigerian business climate. Because every borrowed whitepaper, which we are good at, in receiving from World Bank and/or IMF are designed to fail, and even the Western business concepts will fail here except we customize and optimize them.

Lest I forget, Dangote made a silly mistake by listing his equities on the Western Stock Exchanges. Irrespective of the dynamics of rampaging bulls or bears coming out of hybernation, (people vested on Wall Street and stocks will understand me better), emerging markets are a clean chop chop for the powers that be. That is why he lost so much billions. Emerging markets have no business in New York Stock Exchange or London etc, except you are smart enough to stay invisible and trade under a different Logo, which is not what anyone wants.

Dangote might be richer than I am, but trust me, he has more money than he has the brains that I am equipped with when it comes to running consortiums on a scale that I am talking about.

But this is Nigeria, no one seems to read, we just worship people because they have money, but then again. What do I know.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It by LordKO(m): 6:44pm On May 12, 2018
Small-mindedness is a very big disease globally. It's very easy for anyone who can easily gloss his/her ignorance with mastery of the queens language (or one's lingua franca subject to country of origin and stay) to turn to either a critic or motivational speaker. Articulate incompetents with handy mental parochial and feeble-minded supporters everywhere. SMH. See them casting aspersions on Dangote's personality/blueprints and celebrating the misinformation respectively.

For one, any player or stakeholder in the oil business knows that PMS refining constitues less than 25 percent of very many refinery products anywhere, Dangote's own inclusive. So, it smack of idiocy for anyone to erroneously and conclusively assert with boldness that because there's global "asumption" that electric cars are going to be the in-things in the foreseeable future automatically makes Dangote an unwise businessman. And the articulate incompetent of a writer that literally has no valuable productivity is automatically a wise one.

Manifestation of electric cars as the in-things in the foreseeable future can never have bad effect on Dangote's refinery. There's much to refinery than production of PMS. Let's all stop celebrating mediocrity.

About his tomato plant, the OP of that article is equally an articulate incompetent. The plant was originally set up more as an incentive/CSR/empowerment vehicle towards local tomato farmers - its temporary closure has nothing to do with poor feasibility studies on the company's part but has everything to do with local farmers/you jobless lots who failed to maximize the opportunity it present.

17 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Access Bank Reacts To Porn Video That Appeared On A Screen At Its UNILAG Branch / 15 Fastest Growing Small Business OPPORTUNITIES and IDEAS In Nigeria For 2013 / SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.