Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,184 members, 7,829,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? (21795 Views)

Port Harcourt Monorail: Multi Billion Naira Project 6yrs After: Pictures & Video / Calabar's Monorail Shows A Glimpse Of Nigeria's Intracity Public Transit System / Morocco Gets Africa’s First Fastest Train Worth $2.5 Billion (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Tekzyflex(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2018
Colossal waste and misplaced priority coupled with corruption. I think this is the most useless project.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Wantedmiller: 7:43am On May 15, 2018
we need to tell our self the truth...... did Amechi pay off the contractors #40b without completion of the project? The answer is No! Did Amechi took his own cut? Yes! Is wike playing politics with the same project? Sure! because I believe continuation should be our watch word in politics!

If wike felt that Amechi has embezzled money from the project, He should review the project again and show sons and daughters of Rivers state how to manage money meant for projects because the structures in ground already cannot be neglected to decay off!

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by monex(m): 7:54am On May 15, 2018
The project is not viable. The costs are enormous.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 7:59am On May 15, 2018
the mono rail is deaf and buried, it was never meant for primitive people here in ph.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by adem30: 8:03am On May 15, 2018
Wantedmiller:
we need to tell our self the truth...... did Amechi pay off the contractors #40b without completion of the project? The answer is No! Did Amechi took his own cut? Yes! Is wike playing politics with the same project? Sure! because I believe continuation should be our watch word in politics!

If wike felt that Amechi has embezzled money from the project, He should review the project again and show sons and daughters of Rivers state how to manage money meant for projects because the structures in ground already cannot be neglected to decay off!

The same thing is happening in Lagos, but Ambode is making great progress in completing the project. Ambode administration have even spent more money on the project compare to what Fashola spent, but at the end, it will be the benefit of the masses.
That's the difference between South West and South South, but ignorantly you guys will still come back online to cry marginalization when you refuse to correct your leaders to do the right thing.

Same mentality Buhari has in continuing Jonathan uncompleted projects, but instead of appreciating that you guys result on insulting him on doing the right thing

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by emezuo17: 8:05am On May 15, 2018
SoNature:
Each time I look at this project and the remember the billions of naira Amaechi invested in it to be later abandoned by Wike, I feel like shedding tears.

Wike called this world-class project a death trap just because of the hate he has for anything Amaechi.

I like that Buhari didn't initiate new projects after seeing the billions of naira Jonathan invested in ongoing projects - yes, that's how governance should be...governance is a continuum.

I, just like Rotimi Amaechi, had high hopes that this would become a tourist attraction that would bring people from all over the country and beyond to Rivers State to see what a monorail looked like, but Wike out of wickedness dashed my hopes
. My guy as you for real? The cost of that project will drain Rivers state, is wike not completing other projects abandoned by amaechi? Who will climb that train from Lagos bus stop to mile one park is #50 and even treckable. Think bro. Amaechi fall hand with that mono rail

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:08am On May 15, 2018
The monorail should be designed like an Elephant and painted white

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Cuteamigo1(m): 8:09am On May 15, 2018
what is stoping wike from continuing the project?

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mknigeriagreat: 8:09am On May 15, 2018
yeyerolling:
useless project. Taxi is 50 naira . 40b down d drain. Amaechi shud be arrested

A typical African way of talking. The developed countries spent so much on transportation system decades back and the present generation are benefiting from it. Nigeria has only three major problems. 1. Political differences 2. Ethnic problem and lastly 3. Religion differences. If we can shade off these three, we would have gone way ahead countries like South Africa. See the way Zuma brought them down after their previous leaders donated their blood into the growth of their country, they made sure he was dropped off that office setting aside their differences. Even if that project was awarded at 400m dollars, Wike could have pointed it out but gone ahead to maybe review it and finish it up. The truth is the money spent so far by Amaechi has gone down the drain due to the feud between them. IF an APC candidate had won, that project wouldn't have stopped. Simple truth is, the masses are paying painfully for the stupid feuds between our leaders and we don't demand for our rights but decide to take sides. FOR YOUR INFO, I AM YORUBA AND LIVED IN PH FOR YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO ABUJA.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Mac2016(m): 8:13am On May 15, 2018
devindevin2000:

Stay the fucccking of SS and SE affairs
Til you get ur spellings right
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by SBG04: 8:14am On May 15, 2018
I remember when Wike came in, one of the first things he did was to call the Mono rail a white elephant project and cancel it. No money has been budgeted for it's completion since then. Ironically, the same Wike, within the first few months of his administration, built and commissioned the Christian Ecununemerical centre in Port Harcourt for billions. He bribed Justice Liman with USD2 million of Rivers state money. He hosted the NBA conference in Port Harcourt with billions and he sponsored the botchered PDP convention in Rivers with billions. He bribed INEC officials with N111million for the rerun elections, and has been paying off cultists and gangs with Rivers state money to cause mayhem. He then spends billions to commission a few cheap inner city roads and then calls himself "Mr Project". Rivers people are real mugus. They have been scammed big time!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mknigeriagreat: 8:17am On May 15, 2018
Wantedmiller:

May your brains never depart you. The best thing Wike could have done is to REVIEW it and openly show us if the contract value is worth it or not. The people of Rivers state are the one loosing out and not these two old men fighting like toddlers. Do you know what impact the money spent so far by Ameachi would have done in the lives of citizens of that state if that governor had spent it on something else? I keep telling people that the politicians are not bad, we the masses that voted them in are the bad ones for allowing and taking shits. Our differences politically, tribal and ethnically has set us decades back and we don't even know.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Charly68: 8:17am On May 15, 2018
iberrylee:
Front page plsss, Wike should take the glory by completing this project
Abandoning such a project simply shows how callous his mindset is..am sure a lot has gone into the project already only to be abandoned ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Rivguydee(m): 8:17am On May 15, 2018
Why must there be somebody linking SS to SE on almost every thread? Na wah for una oh!!! Una dey find brother? I really wish Wike will just add even if its a little to this project in his second tenure because so much money has sunk in here already aside the one wey dem thief oh

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by So101: 8:28am On May 15, 2018
Jazzlite:
Is that blue train in Rivers State or a just pictorial representation of plans? Amaechi refused to answer questions pertaining to this project... Op add the costs... Yes the costs and amount spent so far... Like the $400 million dollars by amaechi....yes
yes everything you can see was actually achieved the train was in place before the end of Amaechi’s tenure!!!
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by MaziOmenuko: 8:37am On May 15, 2018
SoNature:

I, just like Rotimi Amaechi, had high hopes that this would become a tourist attraction that would bring people from all over the country and beyond to Rivers State to see what a monorail looked like, but Wike out of wickedness dashed my hopes

Hollup...

what d'fvckk did I just read?

How can I unread this?

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mapet: 8:37am On May 15, 2018
adem30:

The same thing is happening in Lagos, but Ambode is making great progress in completing the project. Ambode administration have even spent more money on the project compare to what Fashola spent, but at the end, it will be the benefit of the masses.
That's the difference between South West and South South, but ignorantly you guys will still come back online to cry marginalization when you refuse to correct your leaders to do the right thing.

Same mentality Buhari has in continuing Jonathan uncompleted projects, but instead of appreciating that you guys result on insulting him on doing the right thing

Bros,

wrt the underlined.......When Lagos is connected by in-land rail and people move around town with ease as done in dynamic environments, these people will say "it is because Lagos was a Federal Capital and FG put it there".

These people are their own worst enemies. The only reason they are hailing Wike for abandoning the project is simply about hatred. Did I hear someone talk about over inflated project? I dare ask, which project have we not accused of being over inflated. Even if it's over inflated as alleged, what has Wike done to review and renegotiate. I served in PH in 2000. Even as at then, PH was a traffic mess not to talk of today. The people of PH should be concerned about rapid development of a city blessed with such oil; unfortunately the are "driving, looking through the rear mirror"

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mapet: 8:41am On May 15, 2018
adem30:

I drove through Leventis - Outer Marina over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the pace of work. I used to accuse Ambode of being slow on the project, but when I discovered that the beams to carry the bridges are just coming out of water, I understood the amount of work and time needed to put those piles in water.

Currently They are laying the slabs that the rail tracks will rest upon from CMS end back to Ijora. I estimate they will complete this in 3 months. If they lay those tracks, by mid-next year the train should be ready to roll, bearing any time-lag estimated for testing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mapet: 8:47am On May 15, 2018
Does anyone know that with Lagos rail, you can live in Okokomaiko/Sango Ota/Papalanto etc and work in Lekki/VI/Ikoyi and it would not be stress getting to work by 8.00a.m and getting home by 6.00pm?

Does anyone realise that when Lagos Rail is live it estimated to move 2million people daily (growth forcast to 5million). Imagine @an average cost of 1k per customer per day = 2billion. Imagine Lagos' partnership is 30% that equals 18billion a month. Currently, Lagos does not even get 10billion from FG monthly allocation, yet Lagos Rail is forecast to give almost double that.

Even if our leaders are selling us silly narratives (like Wike in this context) can't we try to be futuristic in our thinking?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mknigeriagreat: 8:54am On May 15, 2018
mapet:
Does anyone know that with Lagos rail, you can live in Okokomaiko/Sango Ota/Papalanto etc and work in Lekki/VI/Ikoyi and it would not be stress getting to work by 8.00a.m and getting home by 6.00pm?

Does anyone realise that when Lagos Rail is live it estimated to move 2million people daily (growth forcast to 5million). Imagine @an average cost of 1k per customer per day = 2billion. Imagine Lagos' partnership is 30% that equals 18billion a month. Currently, Lagos does not even get 10billion from FG monthly allocation, yet Lagos Rail is forecast to give almost double that.

Even if our leaders are selling us silly narratives (like Wike in this context) can't we try to be futuristic in our thinking?

Omo iya, our leaders are not our problems, we are. And it is not getting better because the same differences that divide us the adults are already dividing our little kids because they are reading us and picking these differences from us. I make sure I tell my kids that there is nothing like Igbo, yoruba and hausa. We are all the same and it is showing in their behaviors. Imagine growing up when our parents used to tell us that in an accident that happened, 14 people died and four hausa men. It has started since the 70's and 80's but we didn't correct it and it has fully grown into a disaster that is eating us up as a country and setting us back. Shameful.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by desgiezd(m): 8:57am On May 15, 2018
Politicians fight dirty and they fight like they don't have brains. Why shouldn't there be continuity when the people are the ultimate beneficiaries?

Wike is not trying at all
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Abagworo(m): 9:02am On May 15, 2018
RZArecta2:
Monorail that consultants warned against because of the prohibitive cost. Why do you think the original contractors ran away ? $400 million spent already on a 1.2km journey so far. Op, which state governor in Nigeria can afford such expenses right now ? Be honest with yourself. Remember this project is wholly financed by Rivers state govt, I laughed at day one during the oil boom era of last administration knowing it won't last forever and I'm still laughing now. As it stands now, UTC to Sharks stadium is 50 naira bus or taxi journey for those who don't want to trek/stroll it, I challenge anybody to prove me wrong, even if the train is operated now on this trekking distance, they can't run it on 50 naira per passenger so it's not even viable by any ramification right now. The only way out is if Amaechi will use federal might to take over the project since it's on Aba rd which is a federal road but we know that won't happen since the same Amaechi refused to touch Omagwa airport just to spite Wike. Op, make we leave turkey for pot abeg

Try to be fair, truthful and just in your comments. Omuagwa terminal is almost completed as we write. It's good to dream and work towards achieving it. Wike is working like Governor of a poorer State while Amaechi was competing with Lagos State during his time. He started Greater Port Harcourt, built skyscraper Rainbow town, nearly completed the Opobo unity road and built this 1st phase of monorail. Port Harcourt is too big for all these petty road constructions we are seeing today as achievements.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by WhiskeyTangoFox: 9:10am On May 15, 2018
SoNature:
Each time I look at this project and the remember the billions of naira Amaechi invested in it to be later abandoned by Wike, I feel like shedding tears.

Wike called this world-class project a death trap just because of the hate he has for anything Amaechi.

I like that Buhari didn't initiate new projects after seeing the billions of naira Jonathan invested in ongoing projects - yes, that's how governance should be...governance is a continuum.

Wow, ur words flatter to decieve. U speak as tho guided by knowledge bt u cant be farther from it. What is the social and economic value of that project to the pple of Rivers State? Anyone in the state with any kind of indepth knowledge knows the monorail and greater port harcourt projects were avenues for massive looting by the Amaechi's administration. Pls make ur findings on how much it costs to construct and how much wld be charged to use the service, also factor in maintenance, human capital expenditure, and its location then tell me where u see d value in such a project.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by chrisxxx(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2018
All those commenting and criticizing Wike are not being fair to him. Wike went by the public opinion of Rivers's people to suspend the continuation of this project. There were a lot of constraints then and some of them are still there till now. Ameachi the initiator of this project even abandoned this project before the end of his term. If I need to be sarcastic, I think there was a time Amaechi invited some APC chieftain to Port Harcourt to commission the monorail which they termed the first in Africa. Some of us raised alarm that the project was nowhere near completion. This post proves us to be right.
With current reality on ground no right thinking governor would want to embark on such when some of them are finding it difficult to pay salary. This project was not well thought-out. Even if APC had won the governorship the easiest that would have happened was for the Federal Govt to take it over. Amaechi never had in mind to embark on the project alone. It was a PPP. But the partners backed out when they realised that it was not a viable project. Amaechi being whom he is refused to back out but continued to nowhere. Later we realised that it was a conduit pipe for him to siphone Rivers State's fund. You can imagine the number of roads $400m would have fixed all over Rivers State. To this end, only a little above 1km of 6km of the rail line has been installed. Let us call a spade by no other name, Amaech goofed here.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by ruggedtimi(m): 9:13am On May 15, 2018
shocked shocked...omo the money involved was too much. Even U.S govt can't spend such amount anyhow. So sad see wetin efcc suppose follow up.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by maxzzo1(m): 9:16am On May 15, 2018
RZArecta2:
Monorail that consultants warned against because of the prohibitive cost. Why do you think the original contractors ran away ? $400 million spent already on a 1.2km journey so far. Op, which state governor in Nigeria can afford such expenses right now ? Be honest with yourself. Remember this project is wholly financed by Rivers state govt, I laughed at day one during the oil boom era of last administration knowing it won't last forever and I'm still laughing now. As it stands now, UTC to Sharks stadium is 50 naira bus or taxi journey for those who don't want to trek/stroll it, I challenge anybody to prove me wrong, even if the train is operated now on this trekking distance, they can't run it on 50 naira per passenger so it's not even viable by any ramification right now. The only way out is if Amaechi will use federal might to take over the project since it's on Aba rd which is a federal road but we know that won't happen since the same Amaechi refused to touch Omagwa airport just to spite Wike. Op, make we leave turkey for pot abeg
You are right supposing it got to park or better still garrison it could have being an achievement but js UTC that is twekable haba what a waste

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by ruggedtimi(m): 9:17am On May 15, 2018
SBG04:
I remember when Wike came in, one of the first things he did was to call the Mono rail a white elephant project and cancel it. No money has been budgeted for it's completion since then. Ironically, the same Wike, within the first few months of his administration, built and commissioned the Christian Ecununemerical centre in Port Harcourt for billions. He bribed Justice Liman with USD2 million of Rivers state money. He hosted the NBA conference in Port Harcourt with billions and he sponsored the botchered PDP convention in Rivers with billions. He bribed INEC officials with N111million for the rerun elections, and has been paying off cultists and gangs with Rivers state money to cause mayhem. He then spends billions to commission a few cheap inner city roads and then calls himself "Mr Project". Rivers people are real mugus. They have been scammed big time!!!
wike and amaechi both are thieves. So no need to compare them
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by RZArecta2(m): 9:22am On May 15, 2018
maxzzo1:

You are right supposing it got to park or better still garrison it could have being an achievement but js UTC that is twekable haba what a waste
and that's how Amaechi flushed $400 million inside pit latrine in the name of monorail grin ewooooo

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by RZArecta2(m): 9:31am On May 15, 2018
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by obi58: 9:34am On May 15, 2018
kross01:
Anytime i see this project i weep deep within cos this is one of those the more you look the less you see type of political project. After sinking billions into it and inundating us with videos of the monorail 'working' towards the last elections, one would question the sincerity of purpose of this project. Spending $400 million dollars on a 2.1km stretch of road and now being allowed to rot away, there is really a special accommodation in hell reserved for Nigerian politicians

Some of you just don't have a conscience. The monorail project that is yet to be completed has cost Rivers people 400m dollars so far....

Do you know 400 million dollars is 144 billion naira??

Do you know how many schools, roads and hospitals can be refurbished for that amount?

Is it not just plain wickedness to divert that money into a 5.4km status symbol

I repeat some people are just plain shameless and have no conscience.

D

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 15, 2018
Nonsense project. Waste of Rivers State fund.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 9:46am On May 15, 2018
devindevin2000:

Stay the fucccking of SS and SE affairs

What's the business of SE in this thread now?
This attaching thing has become malignant.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK / Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Nigerian Woman Arrested By Indian Police, With Her 2 Children, Cries Out (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.