Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,352 members, 7,812,004 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? (21770 Views)

Port Harcourt Monorail: Multi Billion Naira Project 6yrs After: Pictures & Video / Calabar's Monorail Shows A Glimpse Of Nigeria's Intracity Public Transit System / Morocco Gets Africa’s First Fastest Train Worth $2.5 Billion (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by AutoReportNG: 4:42am On May 15, 2018
Nigeria is blessed with people who can reason and also see into the future, despite our political difference, races, tribes, culture, we have managed to come together to form a coalition called Nigeria. Rivers state has come into political loggerhead and this is between the governor and his past predecessor, the war is so bad that it is depriving the state of some benefits and this includes what is supposed to be Africa's first monorail which is been suspended despite reaching some limestones completion. Talk of a project which has been under so much controversies then all fingers will point to this project.

The Rivers State Monorail, also known as Rivers Monorail and occasionally as Port Harcourt Monorail, is a proposed monorail urban transportation project in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-nLTiT9iGujY/WvpTDmqPokI/AAAAAAAASD8/WJvJVhgOEk4OW8rE0pDEN6wKsz_HQD1MQCEwYBhgL/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_036_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

The project was announced in 2011 and construction commenced in 2012. As of September 2017 construction has only been partially completed despite $400 million having been spent and the project is at a standstill. Some reports say the project will never be completed.

The train is supposed to travel on a fully segregated, mostly elevated, right of way. The right of way will include two tracks, except for single-track sections at terminals and for one-directional loops. The initial route includes two segments - Phase 1A from Sharks Park to UTC Station, and Phase 1B further north to Waterlines. The overall distance from Sharks Park to Waterlines will be 5.4 km. Further extensions are in planning phases.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-WK-XM4vmeVU/WvpTM7G-bqI/AAAAAAAASD4/W2AevMOUlq8p0dqCqBfAY3KzsMxTbC-nQCEwYBhgL/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_051_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

It is planned to use Intamin People Mover P30 monorail trains, an electric driven train especially designed and most suitable for commuter services in cities. It is the most recent model of its kind and characterized by modern design, spacious cabins, and wide doors for easy access for passengers with luggage.

The train runs on rubber wheels which are connected to bodies and is laterally guided by means of side guiding wheels. The rubber-steel interface between train and guideway will have a good friction coefficient, leading to decreased vibration transmission to the train from the track. These attributes lead to higher ride quality and passenger comfort.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-pPUiPEuQPjM/WvpTKRJZCgI/AAAAAAAASD8/qh_8UomBDfkBwD9yRCJhkr9wGD9XJmoegCEwYBhgL/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_048_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

One train will be in operation in Phase 1A, and six trains in Phase 1B. A train will consist of seven individual cars. Six cars will carry passengers, and the seventh car will house the motors and electrical equipment. Driver’s cabins will be situated at each end of the train.

Passenger cars will feature safety and comfort systems. The air conditioning system is designed to provide a comfortable train interior, even if the outside temperature reaches 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit). Each train will be able to accommodate 172 passengers, with provision for 44 seated passengers included. One end car will have access for wheelchairs, and all cabin floors will be the same height as the station platforms to provide easy access for passengers with reduced mobility. Provision will be made for hand-held luggage only.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-SlrvQQgP4ZE/WvpSqY1tV9I/AAAAAAAAR_4/mpbpXzsjLeQsmfmXFOfR70lWBJ7hVmAmACLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_001_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

The design operating capacity for Phase 1A is 1,200 passengers per hour. With a maximum operating speed of 70km/h, the train will travel between end stations in about 8 minutes. Six trains will have a design operating capacity of 2,700 passengers per hour. Train travel time between end stations will be about 22 minutes. Passengers can expect a train to arrive every 8 minutes.

These are some of the pictures from the groundbreaking, construction, test run and others.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-zlxmsSWVTeY/WvpSqkWuG1I/AAAAAAAASAA/4Fxf3oZUz4c5ALz8TaZsMzIOp6yMf_JTgCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_002_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-jvYJ9r4usFc/WvpSr8XKvyI/AAAAAAAASAE/hFXSADOmF30NcN01_mytmfZfrcvEjgBAQCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_004_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://3.bp..com/-ZNvnrfX1MTs/WvpStNBFu6I/AAAAAAAASAQ/Q_FreWrJhFU-7Twpo_SY6Op15Qv5evjWQCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_007_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://3.bp..com/-zHwJWsb0nfU/WvpSupZq0UI/AAAAAAAASAc/dku_eAklQJQ5-3RlXbaVuAUQZ0rc_y7fACLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_010_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/-yJpwSP1IH7c/WvpSzDT-FwI/AAAAAAAASA0/Vjq0EFv5538e6nAkoS3lfiCv63_ddKUEwCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_016_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://3.bp..com/-rHBIRkl-ewk/WvpS2UFr-FI/AAAAAAAASBE/MlCLkbcBePYDcnfRX6qRxhSsl-RFBTbtQCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_020_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://4.bp..com/-6SiGIRz8lAU/WvpS2h3vHqI/AAAAAAAASBI/9Tg0HkKKCfEbfHt9LhCA9UErknbcq_XfgCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_021_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/--BMpBpmJRe8/WvpS32136qI/AAAAAAAASBQ/KqESw_ZbvOkSP5gDgovCMsJBd0S-jnWhACLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_023_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-XsUQSrdTq9s/WvpS_Js5HKI/AAAAAAAASBo/JVhdALeE86MEUAuOTbOf8nr-0mZLo_gJwCLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_029_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/-iyDhhAWHBds/WvpTA7Jk6NI/AAAAAAAASB0/owFThAVBIn4RZnYFrxpiZh-YZ2K6a7qgACLcBGAs/s1600/Rivers_Monorail_032_AutoReportNG.com.jpg[/img]

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/05/rivers-monorail-is-this-end-of-africas.html

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by AutoReportNG: 4:43am On May 15, 2018
If only we can set aside our political differences and work as a team

See more pictures, ground breaking and test running here

https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/05/rivers-monorail-is-this-end-of-africas.html

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Jazzlite: 4:58am On May 15, 2018
Is that blue train in Rivers State or a just pictorial representation of plans? Amaechi refused to answer questions pertaining to this project... Op add the costs... Yes the costs and amount spent so far... Like the $400 million dollars by amaechi....yes

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by iberrylee(m): 4:58am On May 15, 2018
Front page plsss, Wike should take the glory by completing this project

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Jazzlite: 5:00am On May 15, 2018
iberrylee:
Front page plsss, Wike should take the glory by completing this project
That project will ruin Rivers State financially. And strategically Wike should only consider this project in his second term.
Where's talktimi?

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by RZArecta2(m): 5:02am On May 15, 2018
Monorail that consultants warned against because of the prohibitive cost. Why do you think the original contractors ran away ? $400 million spent already on a 1.2km journey so far. Op, which state governor in Nigeria can afford such expenses right now ? Be honest with yourself. Remember this project is wholly financed by Rivers state govt, I laughed at day one during the oil boom era of last administration knowing it won't last forever and I'm still laughing now. As it stands now, UTC to Sharks stadium is 50 naira bus or taxi journey for those who don't want to trek/stroll it, I challenge anybody to prove me wrong, even if the train is operated now on this trekking distance, they can't run it on 50 naira per passenger so it's not even viable by any ramification right now. The only way out is if Amaechi will use federal might to take over the project since it's on Aba rd which is a federal road but we know that won't happen since the same Amaechi refused to touch Omagwa airport just to spite Wike. Op, make we leave turkey for pot abeg

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 5:02am On May 15, 2018
Dane politicians
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Mutemenot(m): 5:02am On May 15, 2018
Make I sidon here wait for rivers people, na them go give us gist pass grin
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by MaziOmenuko: 5:09am On May 15, 2018
Wike does not understand the need for such an enormous project. Why embark on a landmark project when you can simply do one or two roads then pocket the rest of the money and still be hailed as Mr project.

Amaechi should have ensured he completed the project. It stalled for a long time making people wonder if he was really interested in the project at all or if it was a means of syphoning funds.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Jazzlite: 5:11am On May 15, 2018
MaziOmenuko:
Wike does not understand the need for such an enormous project. Why embark on a landmark project when you can simply do one or two roads then pocket the rest of the money and still be hailed as Mr project.

Amaechi should have ensured he completed the project. It stalled for a long time making people wonder if he was really interested in the project at all or if it was a means of syphoning funds.
Hmm objective comment. The second part is true.

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by safetyInspector(m): 5:12am On May 15, 2018
Spending $400,000,000.00 for 5.4km train project(partially completed) where there is no need for it is a complete waste of money. Developed countries can afford such luxury but not Nigeria where we are still battling with basic necessities.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Sunnynwa: 5:12am On May 15, 2018
White elephant project. Money that would have been invested in health and education.

18 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Omihanifa: 5:21am On May 15, 2018
Government is a continual process and with the level of congestion happening in Rivers State,the state will eventually need any kind of panacea to its traffic problem and it could be the monorail In the next ten years Rivers State will be in a very short of access road and any kind of rail system will be needed I am not in support of Amaechi or Wike but as an analyst they will need something like this in the next ten years.

14 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by anibi9674: 5:29am On May 15, 2018
nonsense white elephant project. this project is not our priority, it will not be of any economical benefit. just for bragging right and that is not what we need right now.

7 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:37am On May 15, 2018
Wike should continue this Project... it is for the benefit of Rivers state

8 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by nero2face: 5:42am On May 15, 2018
AutoReportNG:
I share ur point Bro... If only Buhari can go back to the CONFAB report and work from where GEJ stopped sad sad

37 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by jodeci(m): 5:44am On May 15, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
Wike should continue this Project... it is for the benefit of Rivers state

Benefits such as?

8 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by femi4: 5:51am On May 15, 2018
The beginning of the end
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Jazzlite: 5:58am On May 15, 2018
safetyInspector:
Spending $400,000 for 5.4km train project(partially completed) where there is no need for it is a complete waste of money. Developed countries can afford such luxury but not Nigeria where we are still battling with basic necessities.
$400 million dollars. Be careful with figures.

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by SoNature(m): 6:21am On May 15, 2018
Each time I look at this project and the remember the billions of naira Amaechi invested in it to be later abandoned by Wike, I feel like shedding tears.

Wike called this world-class project a death trap just because of the hate he has for anything Amaechi.

I like that Buhari didn't initiate new projects after seeing the billions of naira Jonathan invested in ongoing projects - yes, that's how governance should be...governance is a continuum.

I, just like Rotimi Amaechi, had high hopes that this would become a tourist attraction that would bring people from all over the country and beyond to Rivers State to see what a monorail looked like, but Wike out of wickedness dashed my hopes

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Jazzlite: 6:24am On May 15, 2018
SoNature:
Each time I look at this project and the remember the billions of naira Amaechi invested in it to be later abandoned by Wike, I feel like shedding tears.

Wike called this world-class project a death trap just because of the hate he has for anything Amaechi.

I like that Buhari didn't initiate new projects after seeing the billions of naira Jonathan invested in ongoing projects - yes, that's how governance should be...governance is a continuum.

I, just like Rotimi Amaechi, had high hopes that this would become a tourist attraction that would bring people from all over the country and beyond to Rivers State to see what a monorail looked like, but Wike out of wickedness dashed my hopes
You deserve to be flogged.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by devindevin2000: 6:30am On May 15, 2018
SoNature:
[s]Each time I look at this project and the remember the billions of naira Amaechi invested in it to be later abandoned by Wike, I feel like shedding tears.

I, just like Rotimi Amaechi, had high hopes that this would become a tourist attraction that would bring people from all over the country and beyond to Rivers State to see what a monorail looked like, but Wike out of wickedness dashed my hopes[/s]

Stay the fucccking off SS and SE affairs. Same hypocrite that will rejoice and rush enter IPOB threads when they are killed in Igwuocha. Pretending to care about our affairs.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by rozayx5(m): 6:32am On May 15, 2018
Jazzlite:

You deserve to be flogged.

Don't mind the guy

So the main aim of a monorail is to be a tourist attraction

Foolishness is so rampant these days

There was no need for it was just meant for money laundering

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by chiscodedon(m): 6:34am On May 15, 2018
Government should be continuity, neither Wike nor Amaechi owns Rivers State. No matter who started it, that doesn't suppose to matter, many calling it white elephant project and saying it's of no use but feel glad watching how monorail and speed train are used in countries like Germany and co, isn't it hypocritical...? These are things that make up a city, it will beautify Port Harcourt. Passing through the area seeing how the project was abandoned, I always feel bad, billions of naira has been invested in the project, and the project has been 60percent or above completed, If only Wike could add as little as 20 percent, another governor that comes add his, that's how government should be, not abandoning it calling it white elephant project. Today every match is being played in uyo, imagine akpabio saw it as white elephant project and didn't carry it up as not even federal government could build such stadium, but today everyone is hailing the project upon billions of naira he used on the stadium. Wike should add his quota to the project, it's Rivers State project, Rivers State money. There's money in Rivers to carry out that project

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by kross01(m): 6:40am On May 15, 2018
Anytime i see this project i weep deep within cos this is one of those the more you look the less you see type of political project. After sinking billions into it and inundating us with videos of the monorail 'working' towards the last elections, one would question the sincerity of purpose of this project. Spending $400 million dollars on a 2.1km stretch of road and now being allowed to rot away, there is really a special accommodation in hell reserved for Nigerian politicians

14 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by johnmartus(m): 6:52am On May 15, 2018
Even God knows Lagos need monorail.rotimi amache is a good initiator. I can see how Igbo's condemn him because of this project .I don't know what concern them about SS affair .it pains them because 100yrs to comes they will never see such elephant project in their erosion land.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by ashjay001(m): 7:15am On May 15, 2018
AutoReportNG:

Exactly what PMB has been doing, yet, receiving approbriation.

Ungrateful wailers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by punisha: 7:18am On May 15, 2018

Anyday it gets completed , I will give 10 people here 10k each.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 7:18am On May 15, 2018
AutoReportNG:
useless project. Taxi is 50 naira . 40b down d drain. Amaechi shud be arrested

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Houseofglam7(f): 7:19am On May 15, 2018
These damn politicians are all nauseating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Stranded Nigerians In Mali Transported In A NAF Aircraft Back Home (Photos) / USA Visa: Nigerian Investors, Others To Pay More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.