Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? (21793 Views)

Port Harcourt Monorail: Multi Billion Naira Project 6yrs After: Pictures & Video / Calabar's Monorail Shows A Glimpse Of Nigeria's Intracity Public Transit System / Morocco Gets Africa’s First Fastest Train Worth $2.5 Billion (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by oluwaahmed: 9:46am On May 15, 2018
MaziOmenuko:
Wike does not understand the need for such an enormous project. Why embark on a landmark project when you can simply do one or two roads then pocket the rest of the money and still be hailed as Mr project.

Amaechi should have ensured he completed the project. It stalled for a long time making people wonder if he was really interested in the project at all or if it was a means of syphoning funds.

It's unwise for wïke to do this project. Infrastructure was highly dilapidated in rivers state. The $400m would have transformed Rivers state entirely. Anyone supporting this project will most likely end up being poor in life bcoz it shows u cannot manage/optimize ur resources.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by oluwaahmed: 9:56am On May 15, 2018
adem30:

The same thing is happening in Lagos, but Ambode is making great progress in completing the project. Ambode administration have even spent more money on the project compare to what Fashola spent, but at the end, it will be the benefit of the masses.
That's the difference between South West and South South, but ignorantly you guys will still come back online to cry marginalization when you refuse to correct your leaders to do the right thing.

Same mentality Buhari has in continuing Jonathan uncompleted projects, but instead of appreciating that you guys result on insulting him on doing the right thing
U have not been to rivers state so u should not conclude on what you don't know. Projects in Lagos are well thought out. How can amechi spend so much on an incomplete project especially as Rivers state infrastructure decayed. Do u know prior to wïke, there was not a single traffic light in PHC? Roads in the state were a mess that everyone kept wondering why amechi was allowing rivers state to decay. In Lagos projects reflects need. Amechi just stole money from rivers state to fund buhari and that's the reason why APC will never win rivers state. Amechi exposed himself in rivers state. Wïke has done a God job so far in rivers, it's not politics it's reality. The monorail project is DOA. A state like Lagos which far more developed than Rivers state and of which this monorail will benefit them more did not do it, it's now rivers state. It's a stupid project and it will decay and will remain a symbol of betrayal and corruption legacy of amechi and APC.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by deavicky(m): 9:57am On May 15, 2018
AutoReportNG:
If only we can set aside our political differences and work as a team

See more pictures, ground breaking and test running here

https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/05/rivers-monorail-is-this-end-of-africas.html
do u really think we need that monorail?

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by kross01(m): 9:58am On May 15, 2018
obi58:

Some of you just don't have a conscience. The monorail project that is yet to be completed has cost Rivers people 400m dollars so far....

Do you know 400 million dollars is 144 billion naira??

Do you know how many schools, roads and hospitals can be refurbished for that amount?

Is it not just plain wickedness to divert that money into a 5.4km status symbol

I repeat some people are just plain shameless and have no conscience.

D
Do you have a difficulty understanding what i typed or did you just quote me so you can appear in my mention?

As for some of us up comparing this to Lagos rail lines, it still boils down to that sincerity of purpose i am talking about. You can not in all honesty compare these two projects. While the Lagos own will allow one to live in badagry and still get to work at marina early, can you say the same about PH mono rail? For an infrastructure deficient nation / state, as a good leader you ought to prioritise. Start with infrastructures that will impart more on the people and economy not aesthetics which to me PH monorail was about. How is that 2.1km stretch supposed to even payback that project and or even sustain its continuous ooerations?
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 10:01am On May 15, 2018
mknigeriagreat:

A typical African way of talking. The developed countries spent so much on transportation system decades back and the present generation are benefiting from it. Nigeria has only three major problems. 1. Political differences 2. Ethnic problem and lastly 3. Religion differences. If we can shade off these three, we would have gone way ahead countries like South Africa. See the way Zuma brought them down after their previous leaders donated their blood into the growth of their country, they made sure he was dropped off that office setting aside their differences. Even if that project was awarded at 400m dollars, Wike could have pointed it out but gone ahead to maybe review it and finish it up. The truth is the money spent so far by Amaechi has gone down the drain due to the feud between them. IF an APC candidate had won, that project wouldn't have stopped. Simple truth is, the masses are paying painfully for the stupid feuds between our leaders and we don't demand for our rights but decide to take sides. FOR YOUR INFO, I AM YORUBA AND LIVED IN PH FOR YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO ABUJA.
well i have lived in PH, Lagos, and Uk. In advanced countries no one would embark on this kind of useless project that has little economic importance

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by mknigeriagreat: 10:07am On May 15, 2018
yeyerolling:
well i have lived in PH, Lagos, and Uk. In advanced countries no one would embark on this kind of useless project that has little economic importance

It is one thing to live somewhere it is another thing to be able to objectively interpret. There is something called a long term project and a short term project. Are you expecting the project to pay up its capital in 2 weeks? Read up how much China invested in its RAIL project and how long it took to get the money back. Some of this developed countries haven't been able to recoup back the money used to setup those projects in years but they know in no time it will be achieved. Ours is even better when a 100m project is pushed up to 400m. Before Zuma was pulled out, he will approve 10 projects and none will even be done. My stake is, REVIEW it and finish it up.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Rekeb: 10:12am On May 15, 2018
RZArecta2:
Monorail that consultants warned against because of the prohibitive cost. Why do you think the original contractors ran away ? $400 million spent already on a 1.2km journey so far. Op, which state governor in Nigeria can afford such expenses right now ? Be honest with yourself. Remember this project is wholly financed by Rivers state govt, I laughed at day one during the oil boom era of last administration knowing it won't last forever and I'm still laughing now. As it stands now, UTC to Sharks stadium is 50 naira bus or taxi journey for those who don't want to trek/stroll it, I challenge anybody to prove me wrong, even if the train is operated now on this trekking distance, they can't run it on 50 naira per passenger so it's not even viable by any ramification right now. The only way out is if Amaechi will use federal might to take over the project since it's on Aba rd which is a federal road but we know that won't happen since the same Amaechi refused to touch Omagwa airport just to spite Wike. Op, make we leave turkey for pot abeg

What about renegotiating the contract or terminating the current contract and awarding to a different contractor at a cheaper rate? If the British people were thinking as some distances as treckable, they will not have the current London underground system. Same for New York and other developed cities around the world.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Reference(m): 10:14am On May 15, 2018
This is one aspect I thoroughly criticise Wike for. No matter the personal or political differences with his predecessor, this project should have been viewed above all those as a social and economic vehicle of development. Yes it was perhaps overbloated and shrouded in corruption but contracts could be cancelled and contractors replaced if need be, but to abandon such a noble project sends the wrong signals particularly to those with an eye to interfacing public private sector investment.

Talking about private sector involvement, I think this maybe the best route for such capital, long term investments where government's interest is unsustainable. It will have saved and conyinued this project. It will have berthed Tinapa. Government is just so piss poor when it comes to long term strategic thinking.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by adem30: 10:14am On May 15, 2018
mapet:

I drove through Leventis - Outer Marina over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the pace of work. I used to accuse Ambode of being slow on the project, but when I discovered that the beams to carry the bridges are just coming out of water, I understood the amount of work and time needed to put those piles in water.

Currently They are laying the slabs that the rail tracks will rest upon from CMS end back to Ijora. I estimate they will complete this in 3 months. If they lay those tracks, by mid-next year the train should be ready to roll, bearing any time-lag estimated for testing.

oluwaahmed Come and read the update on Lagos monorail you claimed is not existing

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by obi58: 10:17am On May 15, 2018
kross01:

Do you have a difficulty understanding what i typed or did you just quote me so you can appear in my mention?

As for some of us up comparing this to Lagos rail lines, it still boils down to that sincerity of purpose i am talking about. You can not in all honesty compare these two projects. While the Lagos own will allow one to live in badagry and still get to work at marina early, can you say the same about PH mono rail? For an infrastructure deficient nation / state, as a good leader you ought to prioritise. Start with infrastructures that will impart more on the people and economy not aesthetics which to me PH monorail was about. How is that 2.1km stretch supposed to even payback that project and or even sustain its continuous ooerations?

Oga go and learn the difference between a METRO project and a MONORAIL project.

What Lagos needs is metro mass transit project and not a monorail project.

Google is your friend.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Reference(m): 10:21am On May 15, 2018
Rekeb:

What about renegotiating the contract or terminating the current contract and awarding to a different contractor at a cheaper rate? If the British people were thinking as some distances as treckable, they will not have the current London underground system. Same for New York and other developed cities around the world.

Thank you. The London undeground is over a hundred years old and has cost trillions in todays money. It is still being expanded and improved as we speak. Along its chequered history there were several governments investing, several contractors building, several accidents, failures, thefts, embezzlements, etc..... the objective was always to have cheaper, better and more efficient publuc transport. That above all considerations should prevail. It takes visionary leadership to follow through. Unfortunately ours are just myopic, shortsighted egocentrics.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Reference(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2018
yeyerolling:

But when you spend 3, 6, 8 hours in traffic jams you gain economicaly eh. So cities with mass transit systems are foolish. I don't even know where to start to argue with you because this is just embarrassing. You want investors to come and set up shop in our cities to produce goods and services to compete with the world where the ease of doing business (including sound infrastructure is paramount) and a city rail system is 'a useless project that has little economic value'.

I am sure you're the type sold out on the fable that rural agriculture alone will make Nigeria a Singapore by 2020. Well done.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by banio: 10:43am On May 15, 2018
The originator of the project could not finish it in 4 years. 2011 to 2015
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by pennywys(m): 11:14am On May 15, 2018
johnmartus:
Even God knows Lagos need monorail.rotimi amache is a good initiator. I can see how Igbo's condemn him because of this project .I don't know what concern them about SS affair .it pains them because 100yrs to comes they will never see such elephant project in their erosion land.
YOUR BAD MOUTH GO KILL YOU

sha, Rotimi Amaechi is now a minister for transportation he can now build you one in your region

BROWN ROOF REPUBLIC NIGGA
AFONJA BLOOD
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by safetyInspector(m): 11:28am On May 15, 2018
You don't invest in long time project when there is no money for short time project. It is only in places like Qatar and Dubai I have seen such investments. You cant start building rail when you don't have good roads.
mknigeriagreat:

It is one thing to live somewhere it is another thing to be able to objectively interpret. There is something called a long term project and a short term project. Are you expecting the project to pay up its capital in 2 weeks? Read up how much China invested in its RAIL project and how long it took to get the money back. Some of this developed countries haven't been able to recoup back the money used to setup those projects in years but they know in no time it will be achieved. Ours is even better when a 100m project is pushed up to 400m. Before Zuma was pulled out, he will approve 10 projects and none will even be done. My stake is, REVIEW it and finish it up.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by 0kp0nku: 11:36am On May 15, 2018
What about the high rise apartments abandoned around Rainbow axis of Trans Amadi with about 70% completion? Those buildings don't look like white elephant projects to me.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by DozieInc(m): 11:47am On May 15, 2018
RZArecta2:
Monorail that consultants warned against because of the prohibitive cost. Why do you think the original contractors ran away ? $400 million spent already on a 1.2km journey so far. Op, which state governor in Nigeria can afford such expenses right now ? Be honest with yourself. Remember this project is wholly financed by Rivers state govt, I laughed at day one during the oil boom era of last administration knowing it won't last forever and I'm still laughing now. As it stands now, UTC to Sharks stadium is 50 naira bus or taxi journey for those who don't want to trek/stroll it, I challenge anybody to prove me wrong, even if the train is operated now on this trekking distance, they can't run it on 50 naira per passenger so it's not even viable by any ramification right now. The only way out is if Amaechi will use federal might to take over the project since it's on Aba rd which is a federal road but we know that won't happen since the same Amaechi refused to touch Omagwa airport just to spite Wike. Op, make we leave turkey for pot abeg
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by DozieInc(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2018
The mono rail project was unnecessary considering it's costs... perhaps part the money was discovered in Osbourne towers.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Sunnysteve009(m): 12:06pm On May 15, 2018
end time monorail
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 15, 2018
My problem with readers and commentators on this forum is that a lot of people just open a topic and comment rubbish. i see that most people running their comments dont live in Rivers state. Amaechi has accepted that the project was indeed a white elephant. It was not going to add any economic value to the state, may be for beauty sake i dont know. Experts adviced him if he wanted to make such project, let him run it from Oyigbo to Port harcourt Park (Isaac Boro).

Secondly, the contractors pulled out after they understood that the contract value was $400m for such a short distance, while malaysia, China and vietnam did similar but 5.4km for less than $300m.

Governor Wike has been completing a lot of failed projects by Amaechi in the interest of Rivers people, not minding the Amaechi pull him down syndrome.

Lets get our facts correctly before commenting please.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 15, 2018
Oh! So this NONSENSE will run through to waterlines if completed

I laff out loud .

So more business structures and homes are yet to be destroyed cos of this worthless project..

What will happen to mile 1 fly over, mile 1 market, spar - garrison, Mr Biggs, all those banks, businesses, houses, schools that are along it's route??

Smh. Billion naira project is just as useless as the man who initiated it.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by kinharold(m): 12:58pm On May 15, 2018
ANYBODY that is honest, sincere, reasonable, right thinking and loves Rivers State at all WILL NOT SUPPORT that project. Even the Consultants Amaechi brought told him so. Amaechi was looking for a drain pipe and he found it in that project.

Like many persons have pointed out,
1. The rail is right now covering a distance where you only need N50 public transport to cover CONVENIENTLY.
You dont Monorail.

2. The area is in the part of the City that they call "Town", near Govt House. It is not crowded with the regular traffic jam of a city.
You dont need monorail.

3. The monorail does not have "stops" at the strategic places that commuters needs to embark/disembark, Bus/Taxi does it well.
You dont need monorail

4. Transportation/Traffic situation in Port Harcourt even today is NOT as bad as what you had in Lagos, even in the early 90s.
You dont need monorail

5. The Billions that has been spent on that small part of the project can revive all schools and health centres in Rivers state.
You dont need Monorail.

6. In Port Harcourt where many people especially Ogonis are living in "Bachah" (Wooden Structures) and watersides slumps (Thank God Amaechi destroyed most of them); people are in dye need of housing.
You dont need monorail.

Wike has continued with so many if not all road and other projects initiated by Amaechi. Many people appreciate him for that. But nobody has even mentioned/suggested the Monorail. If it is a viable project, let Amaechi use his present position to get "buyers" or ask FG to take it over.

Everything is not politics.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by NickD(m): 1:27pm On May 15, 2018
johnmartus:
Even God knows Lagos need monorail.rotimi amache is a good initiator. I can see how Igbo's condemn him because of this project .I don't know what concern them about SS affair .it pains them because 100yrs to comes they will never see such elephant project in their erosion land.
Try and develop small sense.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by NickD(m): 1:32pm On May 15, 2018
quentin06:
the mono rail is deaf and buried, it was never meant for primitive people here in ph.
Primitive people in ph? Where do you live? Keep quiet if you've got no meaningful contribution instead of spilling jargons. Government should stop developmental projects then because her people are primitive. Sometimes think properly before typing.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by devindevin2000: 1:52pm On May 15, 2018
Mac2016:
Til you get ur spellings right

Learn how to spell "Until and your" Dummy!
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Mac2016(m): 2:02pm On May 15, 2018
devindevin2000:

Learn how to spell "Until and your" Dummy!
only a sensible man will understand that it is a shorthand unlike ur gaffe. fool
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by devindevin2000: 2:17pm On May 15, 2018
Mac2016:

only a sensble man will understand that it is a shorthand unlike ur gaffe. fool

Learn how to spell "sensible"...you slowpoke! What a waste you are!
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Mac2016(m): 2:26pm On May 15, 2018
devindevin2000:

Learn how to spell "sensible"...you slowpoke! What a waste you are!
Lost soul...tell that to ur gparents. if u cant get us...ure not fit to exist here. u jobless alien!
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 15, 2018
NickD:

Primitive people in ph? Where do you live? Keep quiet if you've got no meaningful contribution instead of spilling jargons. Government should stop developmental projects then because her people are primitive. Sometimes think properly before typing.

face the fact the monorail was a waste of resources, govt should have channeled funds to other viable projects that could create employment in the state, guess it doesnt make sense to primitive persons like you that prefers a useless monorail that cant move an inch.
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by UfuomaUN(m): 3:01pm On May 15, 2018
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 3:10pm On May 15, 2018
johnmartus:
Funny enough, an Igbo man Ameachi initiated the project
Re: Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? by devindevin2000: 3:32pm On May 15, 2018
Mac2016:

Lost soul...tell that to ur gparents. if u cant get us...ure not fit to exist here. u jobless alien!

It's "can't" not cant...dummy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK / Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Nigerian Woman Arrested By Indian Police, With Her 2 Children, Cries Out (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.