Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,994 members, 7,810,769 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

“70% Of The Time I’d Want To Call It Quits” – Chidera Okolie Shares Her Success - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / “70% Of The Time I’d Want To Call It Quits” – Chidera Okolie Shares Her Success (403 Views)

Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“70% Of The Time I’d Want To Call It Quits” – Chidera Okolie Shares Her Success by meethumb: 6:16pm On May 16, 2018
Renowned Nigerian writer and multiple award winning author, Ms. Chidera Nneoma Okolie, comes into the circle of successful people who have thought of calling it a quits in their various careers in life.

The Young Barrister who hails from Anambra State in Southeastern part of Nigeria told ABACITYBLOG that multiple times, she had thought of quitting her career and venture into another lucrative craft.

Going down the lane, Ms. Okolie, who doubles as the founder of #IdiosCreatives, an initiative which is poised at "Breeding a new generation of Writers in Nigeria", shares her success story.

Read her success story below;

"70% of the time I’d want to call it quits. To be a successful writer in Nigeria is a drag. You are in a boxing ring fighting off the million obstacles in your way, the most challenging being the lackadaisical attitude to Literature in Nigeria.

Have I thought of relocating? Yes.
Have I thought of drifting to more lucrative “crafts”? Yes.
Have I thought of auditioning for BBN? Oh yes recently.

I’ve had all sorts of thoughts..some too unsavory to list. I like what I see when I google my name, dad would say “a good name before luxury”, but I’m a young girl and a little luxury won’t hurt. I’d stare at the countless stories I’m yet to complete..where is the motivation?

Then I’d conclude I’m not putting in enough work..Oh wait, is it the genre? Should I attempt Romance? Should I make the next book about me?

Then I’d digress to @ikosakioduwa ‘s words to me sometime last year. “Writers, just like the rest of us, have to fight for their spot in this country.”

#Facts

I’d sit back and ponder on the good old days..Primary school..early Secondary school, when majority of us were passionate writers in our own little way..we’d scribble our stories for mummy and daddy to read..the smile on their faces were all the gratification we needed. Then we grew older and had to worry about being cool and fitting in..”writers aren’t cool people”, we thought. Mum and dad’s smile wasn’t enough anymore, we needed more..external validation of our peers. Yup..that was me.

I was in one of my zones one day when it struck me..WHAT IF WE GREW A NEW GENERATION OF WRITERS? The ones whose passions are yet to be diluted? What if we churn out over 100 young published authors every year?

The country will be forced to adjust..writers will reclaim their place and we’d have more readers..YES! That’s it.

I launched #IdiosCreatives.

In a bid to keep the passion alive, we are publishing the short stories and poems of 100 students in the Primary and Secondary schools in a book titled “A COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES AND POEMS BY THE NIGERIAN SCHOOL CHILDREN”..a platform of some sort. We are doing this FOR FREE..the goal is Nigeria..A state or two at a time♥️

Read the full story: https://abacityblog.com/2018/05/chidera-okolie-shares-her-success-story.html

Re: “70% Of The Time I’d Want To Call It Quits” – Chidera Okolie Shares Her Success by youngest85(m): 6:19pm On May 16, 2018
B
Re: “70% Of The Time I’d Want To Call It Quits” – Chidera Okolie Shares Her Success by meethumb: 6:21pm On May 16, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed!my Colleagues Are Driving Me Crazy! / Bleep / Business Plan Alert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.