Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,557 members, 7,958,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:01 PM

Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! (16875 Views)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / I Wonder What Ghananians Are Turning In To: (it's A Shame) / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:36am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

They are pretending

Spanish is the first thing they teach their children. no matter where they were born.
Not all Mexicans speak spanish. You can google it if you think I'm bluffing.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:37am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

They are pretending

Spanish is the first thing they teach their children. no matter where they were born.

i'll have to agree. my school was packed with spanish kids and most of them spoke spanish. however, the dominican americans i noticed, rarely speak spanish cuz they think that they are black.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 1:38am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

Kai motunrayo. I am SURE Ive lived here longer than you. *shakes finger*
I know I know its something to be ashamed of

Ive been living here since I was 5. . . .you?

KarmaMod:

They are pretending

Soo true. . . . .the Isrealis and Europeans too
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 1:39am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

i'll have to agree. my school was packed with spanish kids and most of them spoke spanish. however, the dominican americans i noticed, rarely speak spanish because they think that they are black.

LOL!!
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:41am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

Not all Mexicans speak spanish. You can google it if you think I'm bluffing.

are we talking about mexicans or hispanics in general? if mexicans, then true, not all of them speak spanish. i had a mexican friend back in elementary school who didn't speak spanish. i used to get on her about why she doesn't speak spanish, LOL, anyways she just didn't. i guess she was native american or whatever.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by KarmaMod(f): 1:41am On Aug 05, 2008
lol diva, Dominicans pretty much ARE black but they do speak spanish

motunrao, 17 years here.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by manmustwac(m): 1:42am On Aug 05, 2008
Here in England Nigerian Parents do not speak their native language to thier children. They only speak english. Whereas Turkish Greek Chinese Indian Polish and all other ethnic minorities speak their language to their children from childhood. The fault is from the parents
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by KarmaMod(f): 1:43am On Aug 05, 2008
manmustwac:

Here in England Nigerian Parents do not speak their native language to their children. They only speak english. Whereas Turkish Greek Chinese Indian Polish and all other ethnic minorities speak their language to their children from childhood. The fault is from the parents

I dont know what Nigerians you're talking about but when I was in England last month, everywhere I went I heard Yoruba.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:43am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

lol diva, Dominicans pretty much ARE black but they do speak spanish

motunrao, 17 years here. 7 years Naija (birth and secondary school)

i know but when u talk to them, they try to stay away from their spanish roots and claim black. even though they are "black" that's all they are, not spanish.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 1:44am On Aug 05, 2008
Oka i think it is sort of shameful that i can't speak Igbo. I see little chinese and mexican five year olds running around speaking their native tongue. But me when i was young i was speaking english and understanding Igbo. That is why i take lessons from some of yal and at home to learn my language. At first i didn't see the importance of learning but now i know it is VERY important. And when i learn, Im damn sure teaching my american born naija friends so they can speak it too. And im making 100% sure that my kids will learn Igbo because i don't want the Igbo culture to die in the states.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:46am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka i think it is sort of shameful that i can't speak Igbo. I see little chinese and mexican five year olds running around speaking their native tongue. But me when i was young i was speaking english and understanding Igbo. That is why i take lessons from some of yal and at home to learn my language. At first i didn't see the importance of learning but now i know it is VERY important. And when i learn, I'm damn sure teaching my american born naija friends so they can speak it too. And im making 100% sure that my kids will learn Igbo because i don't want the Igbo culture to die in the states.
aww tongue
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:47am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

I don't know what Nigerians you're talking about but when I was in England last month, everywhere I went I heard Yoruba.

well yoruba parents make sure that their children speak their language. i know some yorubas (i know, story, story) who spoke yoruba only because they got the "u know what" beaten out of them. so you can say that they were forced.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka i think it is sort of shameful that i can't speak Igbo. I see little chinese and mexican five year olds running around speaking their native tongue. But me when i was young i was speaking english and understanding Igbo. That is why i take lessons from some of yal and at home to learn my language. At first i didn't see the importance of learning but now i know it is VERY important. And when i learn, I'm damn sure teaching my american born naija friends so they can speak it too. And im making 100% sure that my kids will learn Igbo because i don't want the Igbo culture to die in the states.

It's ok, baby.

We're both learning igbo together na.

@post
None of my cousins born here, nor my siblings can speak yoruba. Not because they're not being taught, but becuz. . hmmm, I really don't know.

But they understand it well, just can't speak it. sad!
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 1:49am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

I don't know what Nigerians you're talking about but when I was in England last month, everywhere I went I heard Yoruba.
Same here. . . I thought New York was bad
They are speak so loud too. . . , even amongst all the conversations on the bus you will always hear that Nigerian man/lady speaking soo embarrassingly loud
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:49am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

well yoruba parents make sure that their children speak their language.
not really. my little punk ass nephew here couldn't speak yoruba to save his life.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:49am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

same thing i want to do. it's mostly american born igbos that don't speak their language, everyone else seems to speak though.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:51am On Aug 05, 2008
i see a theme here.  lots of american born igbos don't speak ibo?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 05, 2008
motun_rayo:

They are speak so loud too. . . , even amongst all the conversations on the bus you will always hear that Nigerian man/lady speaking soo embarrassingly loud
ROTFLMAO!!

Nigerians for you. When my mom talks on the phone, she makes sure she screams, or else the person on the other line can't hear her. undecided I'm like, you're on the phone. She'll still keep screaming embarassed
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by KarmaMod(f): 1:52am On Aug 05, 2008
Nigerians in the UK are the Mexicans of the States
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:53am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

not really. my little punk ass nephew here couldn't speak yoruba to save his life.

aww man, you're wrong.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 1:53am On Aug 05, 2008
KarmaMod:

Nigerians in the UK are the Mexicans of the States
LOL

Ruby_Pearl:

ROTFLMAO!!

Nigerians for you. When my mom talks on the phone, she makes sure she screams, or else the person on the other line can't hear her.  undecided I'm like, you're on the phone. She'll still keep screaming  embarassed
I think its in the  Naija water. . . . . .
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:54am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

aww man, you're wrong.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 1:54am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

"my little punk ass nephew"?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 1:56am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

"my little punk ass nephew"?
oh. i was just talking jive.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 2:00am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

oh. i was just talking jive.

i know, i'm just messing with you.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:02am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

i know, i'm just messing with you.
hey man! don't do that.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:03am On Aug 05, 2008
motun_rayo:

vietnamese people are loud too. with all their dumai dumai.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 2:08am On Aug 05, 2008
Kinda Disagree on that one. . . . No one is louder then a NIGERIAN lol
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:09am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

oh.  i was just talking jive.
Look at water boy using my line grin angry tongue
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:11am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Look at water boy using my line grin angry tongue
shut up there.
motun_rayo:

what do you know
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:11am On Aug 05, 2008
motun_rayo:

Heheh! I agree with that but in a good way.  tongue

@Topic,
If I were to speak my Mother tongue, I am suppose to know to speak in mandarin, Hakkha, Hokkien, Cantonese, Malay, Kadazan and Murut but so far I can only speak Malay, Hakkha and a little Mandarin. Does that make me a shameful being?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:12am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

shut up there.
Mba. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Edos / Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.