Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,876 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! (6969 Views)

Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? / Help, I Can't Cook To Save My Life! / Does It Matter If She Can't Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Igbowife(f): 11:43pm On Mar 18, 2007
I can't cook!

I am a white girl. I have two babies. My husband is an igbo and can cook very well!

I love egusi soup. I want to know how to cook Nigerian food. I need some easy recipes to start.

Please help. God bless all you people!
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Igbowife(f): 11:49pm On Mar 18, 2007
I cant cook! I am a white girl.i have two babys.my husband is an igbo and can cook very well!i love egusi soup.i want to know how to cook nigerian food.i need some easy recipes to start please help.god bless all you people!
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 19, 2007
You cant cook, you want to learnt to cook nigerian food - is there any way else to learn but to drag yourself into the kitchen when ur husband is cooking and watch?

1 Like

Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by fatliar(m): 1:35am On Mar 19, 2007
work in iya putts resturant for a month, u might learn
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by naijacutee(f): 9:40am On Mar 19, 2007
Hey Igbowife, well, at least your husband is a good cook and he (unlike many Nigerian men) is happy to do some cooking around the house. I think as long as you watch him when he's cooking and ask questions, you'll be on the right path. You can check out this valuable thread, there are a lot of recipes you can try at home. Copy the whole thread on to Word or something, print it out and experiment at home!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-25475.0.html

I wish you best of luck!
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by jjuummaaii(f): 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2007
go the catering sch
get a cookery book
ask ur mum to teach u
learn from ur frends or coleagues
learn from ur hubby
learn from ur sis-in law/ mum-inlaw.
learn from Food TV.
learn from the internet.
Employ a proffessional cook and learn from Him/her
learn from Nairaland food thread
Learn from Amaka1 thread on Nigerian Recipes.

My dear theres always a way out except u dont want to. above are several options u can pick from and save ur self the embarrasment
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by onlyme(f): 8:40pm On Mar 20, 2007
I'm getting a different meaning from your request. Are you saying that you can't cook at all or are you saying that you want to learn how to cook the food your husband was raised up on? If your asking for help and recipes then you can't get that from Food TV or a cookbook. It's hard to explain how to cook the food. All I can say is watch your husband from start to finish and one day try it. You will probably mess up the first time but practice makes perfect. I'm only telling you from experience My Husband is Igbo and I'm from the US born & raised and it took me a while but I just watched everytime he cook and watched my sister in law and after a while I started trying and now I can cook the food my husband was raised on. Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by akara(m): 11:18am On Mar 25, 2007
grin

@Igbowife

do a search for Nigerian recipes on google and you ll get loads of what you want, You can then decide the simple ones you d want to start with. Ingredients allowing.

grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by akamihe(m): 11:37am On Mar 25, 2007
U better learn quick qucik ooo! B4 that young man gets fed up. He is an Igbo man o! We Ibos are biz minded! He may not have the time to cooked all the time but would always want to eat something good. If u dont learn quick quick, logically he might look for alternative o! If u know what I mean!! But God 4bid. U will learn in Jesus name. Amen.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by kellorah: 12:44pm On Mar 25, 2007
the best thing is to watch and learn
that'll save u from having to go to catering schools or even watching tv for how many hours just to learn.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 25, 2007
you'll have to go for a three months internship at ur mother in laws place
thats the best way to learn
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Consultant(f): 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2007
Please why the rudeness from some of the responders on this thread? When an Igbo man marries an American, should he not have limited expectations about her ability to cook Ugwu? Please, if you have good advice give it - politely, otherwise angry
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by mee(f): 2:28pm On Mar 25, 2007
@ Consultant u got the words RIGHT. There really isn't any point being nasty people. She's only asking for help
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Seun(m): 2:44pm On Mar 25, 2007
Yes, so let's start helping!! wink
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Radiant(f): 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2007
akamihe:

You better learn quick qucik ooo! B4 that young man gets fed up. He is an Igbo man o! We Ibos are biz minded! He may not have the time to cooked all the time but would always want to eat something good. If u don't learn quick quick, logically he might look for alternative o! If u know what I mean!! But God 4bid. You will learn in Jesus name. Amen.

Who raised you?

1 Like

Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Radiant(f): 6:13pm On Mar 25, 2007
Igbowife, I think you should just watch him when he's cooking. You can also go over to his(your) Igbo friend's house and watch their wives when they're cooking Nigerian food. You'll definitely learn faster that way 'cause getting the recipe and trying it alone isn't the same as watching and learning from someone smiley

All the best kiss
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by jaybaby(f): 7:34pm On Mar 25, 2007
Tell Him 2 Teach U
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2007
Egusi soup made easy

1.Cook your diced meat with sliced onions,salt to taste,one cube of maggi and pepper.
(You can add precooked stockfish or dried fish for the original mama Ngozi taste).

2. Add a little more water and when it comes to a rolling boil,add your ground crayfish,some palm oil,the egusi and some freshly blended tomatoes (just one or two) and cook for about 20 mins until the aroma fills the room. wink wink wink

3.Then add your vegetable ie  cut Spinach or turnip greens,if you have "ugu" in your backyard,that is super,Ukazi  or bitter leaf can also be used.
Ukazi is that sliced stringy one that can be mistaken for weed by immigration and customs if care's not taken grin grin grin and bitterleaf AKA onugbu is the dried up unattractive looking one but it does wonders with the egusi smiley smiley smiley

4.Turn down the heat to medium low and let simmer for a few minutes.
(Ukazi and bitterleaf cook a little longer)

If you follow these easy steps,in nine months we shall be celebrating the birth of Chioma and Chijioke grin grin grin

You'll notice I gave no measurements that's because we eyeball our quantity of ingredients grin grin grin.
Wish you the best and tell your husband that a sister tells him,"Jisike" smiley
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Radiant(f): 10:40pm On Mar 25, 2007
babyosisi:

Egusi soup made easy

2. Add a little more water and when it comes to a rolling boil,add your ground crayfish,some palm oil,the egusi and some freshly blended tomatoes (just one or two) and cook for about 20 mins until the aroma fills the room. wink wink wink

Whaaaaa? Is this how you make urs
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Igbowife(f): 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2007
Babyosisi thank u very much!how r u there?and i will great my husband for u! Bye
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by agnesoseka: 10:26am On Mar 26, 2007
radiant,wetin be ur own ? at least, she tried smiley
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by amee07(f): 1:13pm On Mar 26, 2007
My dear, watch your husband keenly and you'll pick up a few tips. Besides, Don't you have any nigerian friends? there's a site you can check out but i don't hve the web address right now. I'll check it out and send it to you.
Or does anyone know the 'African Pot' website address?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by asoderock(m): 3:22pm On Mar 26, 2007
See her mouth, I can't cook
but you can eat!
you better learn
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by rexmaliik(m): 4:15pm On Mar 26, 2007
my own advice is just to keep buying "mama put" for ur husband .i'm 1000% sure he 'll surely appreciate it
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by niterider(m): 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2007
Nigerians!!!! We love and thrive where there is controversy.A simple request and u still find negative responses.Thats y we will never progress.Giants of africa my Yansh
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by youngies(m): 4:39pm On Mar 26, 2007
INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup egusi seeds
1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
1/2 cup red oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
1 1/2 cups water
2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound fresh ugu/onugbu/ukazi, washed and chopped

DIRECTIONS
Place egusi seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.

Place onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add pepper mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
Add water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add ugu/onugbu/ukazi and ground egusi seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.

Food is Ready! grin grin Remember to serve with pounded yam and palm wine cheesy cheesy
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by jaybaby(f): 4:39pm On Mar 26, 2007
Niterider Wetin b Ya own?

BabyOsisi Na waoh  is that what U cook 4 ur HUSBAND? shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry

The same ingredient U use 4 Bitterleaf,Ugu,Ukazi--Nnan na waoh 4 d girlz of nawadayz

U even Use Tomatoes---that is a diff SOUP--the kind of Soup U use Tomatoes 4 is a kind of Yoruba Soup & wat u add in it is plnty of Tomatoes,Pepper & d leaf is SHOKO

Hmmmmm BABYOSISI--I bow 4 U ooooo
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 26, 2007
jaybaby:

Niterider Wetin b Ya own?

BabyOsisi Na waoh is that what You cook 4 your HUSBAND? shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry

The same ingredient You use 4 Bitterleaf,Ugu,Ukazi--Nnan na waoh 4 d girlz of nawadayz

You even Use Tomatoes---that is a diff SOUP--the kind of Soup You use Tomatoes 4 is a kind of Yoruba Soup & what u add in it is plnty of Tomatoes,Pepper & d leaf is SHOKO

Hmmmmm BABYOSISI--I bow 4 You ooooo

Try my recipe dear,it is delicious.
Egusi can go with almost any vegetable,are you the only person not in the know?
Of course there are other recipe for Ukazi soup and onugbu but let's not delve into that.
Rather than scrutinize mine,give the girl tips on some other food that is what she asked for.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Radiant(f): 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2007
Lmfao@ Jaybaby wink grin grin grin

Wonders!!! shocked
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Carlosein(m): 6:43pm On Mar 26, 2007
@jaybaby
yes give her your own tips rather than criticize.

if she cooks egusi with tomatoes which one be ur own.

when i was in school we used to eat fufu with egusi and okra togeda (we called it mixture) and we loved it.

remember one man's meat is anoda's poison.

stick to your own. chikena. cool
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Radiant(f): 7:01pm On Mar 26, 2007
Carlosein:

@jaybaby
yes give her your own tips rather than criticize.

And you've given her your own tips, huh? Where did you appear from?

Carlosein:

when i was in school we used to eat fufu with egusi and okra togeda (we called it mixture) and we loved it.

Abeg delete this before she innocently makes it for her husband shocked grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by breeolan(f): 7:55pm On Mar 26, 2007
all i can say is dat ders noin more important dan ur interest in learning to cook, i dont think cooking follows a particular style, we all have our diff ways of cooking one soup, wateva you do (when cooking egusi) its not advisable to put plenty tomatoes or d soup will get all sweety and soured quickly,

Good luck!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Foods That Can Make A Woman's Breast Grow Bigger / Milo Or Bournvita / Which Do You Prefer: Meat Or Fish ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.