Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! (6978 Views)

Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? / Help, I Can't Cook To Save My Life! / Does It Matter If She Can't Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by okk: 11:54pm On Mar 26, 2007
babyosisi! u stupid girl.

ur plan na to make her husband break up with am come marry u.

and make una stop all dat 'mama put' talk cos igbo man fit leave in wife go marry madam franchise.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:13am On Mar 27, 2007
okk:

babyosisi! u stupid girl.

your plan na to make her husband break up with am come marry u.

and make una stop all that 'mama put' talk because igbo man fit leave in wife go marry madam franchise.

who is this hemaphrodite?
who let the dogs out?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 27, 2007
ehen mamaosisi back to your egusi soup. How do you cook egusi with tomatoes? na wa o. How does it taste. I'm going to make egusi next saturday and i don't want to use the dried ugwu again o, that thing is a disaster. Is spinach a better alternative and how does it taste?

Do you know how to cook ofe owerri?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:41am On Mar 27, 2007
davidylan:

na wa o. From where to where? Some Nairaland users can make you wish you never found this site.

ehen mamaosisi back to your egusi soup. How do you cook egusi with tomatoes? na wa o. How does it taste. I'm going to make egusi next saturday and i don't want to use the dried ugwu again o, that thing is a disaster. Is spinach a better alternative and how does it taste?

Do you know how to cook ofe owerri?

ha ha ha.
I learnt the tomato addition from my aunt who owned a restaurant bukateria in Ojota.
You only need one ripe tomato or two,the taste is great.
Spinach,collard and turnip greens are great with egusi.
Throw those shrivelled up dried ugu in the garbage before you end up with  a shooting  diarrhoea grin grin grin.

No I don't know ofe owerri,I told you to begin dey look for Igbo wife,mashed potatoes and gravy with with a slice of roast beef will not leave you satisfied.
Unless you bring her to have a head start and begin reading and practising ahead of time so she doesn't start her own thread. grin grin grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by omoge(f): 11:48am On Mar 27, 2007
funny, lol. well tomatoes is great with egusi.

those imported dried ukwu is wired!!, davidylan, na true u talk. i don't like the taste in the egusi.

oh man!! those good old days of fresh sliced ugu/ukwu in egusi soup, missed it alot.

used cut spinach with little dried bitter leaf davidylan and your soup should be tasty.

@ babyosisi
turnip and collard with egusi? babyosisi, was it good? do you just clean the turnip and collard and add it to the cooking egusi?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by BlackMamba(m): 3:23pm On Mar 27, 2007
This is a nice thread. Since momsie, sis nor Naija girlfriend are not in the horizon at this time, I once dabbled into egusi soup on the advice of the African market in my neck of the wood. Need I say that it was a total disaster. Please, lovely sisters post ogbono soup recipe also, and I'm going to give my Igbo soup another shot.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2007
Thanks, God help me to recognise spinach when i get to the food store.
Blackmamba try the egusi again, its very easy and fast.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 28, 2007
omoge:

funny, lol. well tomatoes is great with egusi.

those imported dried ukwu is wired!!, davidylan, na true u talk. i don't like the taste in the egusi.

oh man!! those good old days of fresh sliced ugu/ukwu in egusi soup, missed it alot.

used cut spinach with little dried bitter leaf davidylan and your soup should be tasty.

@ babyosisi
turnip and collard with egusi? babyosisi, was it good? do you just clean the turnip and collard and add it to the cooking egusi?

It looks like you're in the UK all those chester chester names
I buy frozen,already cut collard and turnip greens and it does taste good (at least oga hasn't complained)
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 28, 2007
davidylan:

Thanks, God help me to recognise spinach when i get to the food store.
Blackmamba try the egusi again, its very easy and fast.

why not? You can buy frozen, cut spinach also and it tastes just as good.
and for a bachelor,it saves you the added hassle of cutting them.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 28, 2007
what does spinach look like?
I know my aunt bought it for me a few months ago but i've forgotten the look. na wa o.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 28, 2007
do you mean the fresh ones?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 28, 2007
yes
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 28, 2007
Here in the USA they either have some bagged ones or unbagged.
They are green of course and the leaves  sort of look like ugu only smoother.
The unbagged ones usually have long stems ,I don't know what really to liken them to.
Just look in the produce section usually beside romaine lettuce.
You can't miss it (as Americans will say).
Like ugu,please don't use the stem unless you want a crunchy soup lol

How much are you paying for all these lessons,I am an Igbo woman rememberr!
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 28, 2007
you and my mom are relatives. . . so the lessons must be free. cheesy
Thanks all the same.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by aaliyah06(f): 3:37am On Mar 28, 2007
Hey Igbowife. Girl just email me I was married to a Igbo man for years and I have tons of recipes. Email me and I will send them to you. SOOOOOO easy to follow. I lived in Nigeria for 3 years and I forced myself to learn how to cook for my man and his family. Hahaha the only good thing that came out of my divorce was my beautiful daughter and that I learned how to cook. Egusi grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by cuteass1(f): 3:42am On Mar 28, 2007
@ IGBOWIFE /THREAD

the best answer so far is the one posted by my dear cousin naijacutee, she should just visit that attached linked and her problem will be half-solved

i visited the link and gosh, they had so many wonderful appetizing recipies

i had to forward the link to my box lol.

so igbowife, take a taxi to the link, it was actually made on this forum and its so educative wink
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by omoge(f): 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2007
babyosisi:

It looks like you're in the UK all those chester chester names
I buy frozen,already cut collard and turnip greens and it does taste good (at least oga hasn't complained)

lol, mba nwanem, am trying all this veggie here. just got done trying the Baby Spinach and Kale (eaten RAW) it's lovely.

i will try the turnip and collard green when next i make melon soup.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by omoge(f): 2:42pm On Mar 28, 2007
Ingredients

• 1 cup ogbono
• Palm oil
• Goat meat or beef, ponmo, oxtail (cook them till tender, I cook my meat separately till tender)
• Stock fish (cook separately till tender), cook Oxtail till tender.
• 2 cups of hot water
• Dried pepper
• Dried fish
• Bonga
• Prawn crayfish
• Crayfish (smaller shinning type)
• Salt
• 1 or 2 maggi cube

Prep
In a separate pot, cook your goat meat or beef with salt until tender

• Blend your dried ogbono until very smooth (do not add water)
• Place your pot on fire and add some palm oil
• Let the oil cook for few seconds and add your blended dried ogbono and stir
• Add a cup of hot water and stir
• Put in your cooked meat, dried fish, stock fish, bonga  (if you have them), and crayfish.
• If too thick add a little more hot/warm water
• Then add your pepper, and the blended prawn (the reddish bigger crayfish)
• Add maggi and salt to taste
• Cover and let it cook for about 30minutes.

If you want you can add ugu or lil bitter leaf,  (I usually don't add vegetable)

Eat with hot pounded yam, eba of fufu

I have two ways of cooking my Ogbono, one I call Agbor style (because my mom does it like that)

Blend your ogbono in native flat mortar, add oil and blend till smooth and liquid-like
Note: if using blender, blend and pour in a dish and mix oil and use a spoon to stir until oil is finely mixed with the ogbono to make a smooth paste.

• Cook your beef or goat meat until done/soft
• Add pepper to the cooking meat, add your ogbono (which already has red oil in it) and stir
• Add the remaining ingredients, ponmo, crayfish, cleaned dried fish, bonga, blended crayfish, salt and maggi
• Let it cook for 30mins or less.

Add vegetable if you want.

Serve with your pyam or eba/fufu

BlackMamba:

This is a nice thread. Since momsie, sis nor Naija girlfriend are not in the horizon at this time, I once dabbled into egusi soup on the advice of the African market in my neck of the wood. Need I say that it was a total disaster. Please, lovely sisters post ogbono soup recipe also, and I'm going to give my Igbo soup another shot.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 12:13am On Mar 29, 2007
I cannot stand Ogbono,it's much too slimy for my liking.
Feels like eating spirogyra.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by becool89(f): 9:38am On Mar 29, 2007
just out of curiosity, what does spirogyra taste like? wink
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by moondust(m): 11:29am On Mar 29, 2007
u dont need 2 know how to cook well, just wash ur *%@$% into anything u cook and he'll come runnin 4 more, grin just kiddin O!
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 29, 2007
moondust:

u don't need 2 know how to cook well, just wash your *%@$% into anything u cook and he'll come runnin 4 more, grin just kiddin O!

silly you

becool89:

just out of curiosity, what does spirogyra taste like? wink

who knows?
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by afrikangal(f): 11:09am On Mar 30, 2007
final option learn from ya hussby
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by BillGatesFan(m): 6:28pm On Mar 30, 2007
The best way to learn is to make love to your husband right there in the kitchen when he is cooking and you will learn ok
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by anabell(f): 5:48pm On Jun 24, 2007
yam porrage----blend ur tomato pepper crayfish and onions  together, heat ur palm oil 4 like 5mins then put ur tomatos in to fry for 15mins while ur tomato is frying, slice ur yam and cut them into small cube wash and put it aside. then clean up ur dryfish and shrimps with worm water boil ur meat [oxtail, shaki and kidney}.  .after 15min of watin 4 ur tomato to fry u put ur yam crayfish , dryfish shrimps, fish seasoning    meat ,maggi and add some water and salt then live to cook.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Echidime(m): 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2007
@Omoge:Your a wonderful woman,I envy your husband ooooo, with this kind of soup you take your time to teach other ladies in the house who don't know how to cook, na wa ooooo.

I wish I know your place I will just come and bless myself with Eba and your sweet soup. Or better still please tell me when your going home to Naija so I can pay a visit, just for the eating nothing more,I will even take permission from your husband.

I love women who knows how to get the heart of a man with food,the fortunate man will just be experiencing his heaven here on earth.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Echidime(m): 7:05pm On Jun 25, 2007
@babyosisi: How can you advice someone to WASH her PUSSy and pour the water into anything she cooks for her husband, so the husband will come running after her? IS that what you did to your husband or boyfriend? I once saw that in the Nigerian movie called"The clamour Girls part one"

So it is real hey, na wa oooooooo babyosisi,na so you wicked reach? I pity men who comes after you.
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 25, 2007
Echidime,abeg carry me low o!.
na moon dust talk am,I was quoting him
You owe me an apology
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by omoge(f): 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2007
@ Echidime, your last line was funny  wink thanks for the compliments.

Smile  wink I wish we lived close, I would have love to invite you for a home meal cooked in real traditional way. I love entertaining and I believe it is good to share what you know with others. Mom taught me so much so early.

Will let you know when I will be home so you come enjoy  cheesy
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by BelemaIB(f): 6:17pm On Oct 13, 2007
I have been married to a Rivers man for 4 years, and I can cook almost all the nigerian dishes. You can look on the internet for recipes. But I feel that the best way to learn is to be in the kitchen when your husband is cooking. Or better still, get him to be with you in the kitchen and talk you through what you have to do. Nigerian food looks really difficult but it is actually really easy to cook. I learnt by cooking with my husband and watching him when he was cooking. I also have a yoruba friend who was born and raised in the UK and was not confident cooking Nigerian food (apart from Stew and Okra soup). We would pick two or three dishes, look up the recipes and try them out. When there is two of you it is a lot more fun! We used to do this once a week. We managed to cook pepper soup, puff puff, egusi soup, ogbono soup, okra soup, coco yam soup, yam porridge, suya, vegetable soup, roasted yam and plantain, beans and so much more. Now I cook for my husband and his relatives as well as his friends which is a lot of fun.

grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by ladyerin(f): 9:17pm On Nov 05, 2008
I am also an American white girl, but I am an awesome cook. wink When my Igbo/Ijaw husband and I first met, he impressed me by make egusi soup and garri for me and I loved it. He can cook well, but prefers not to. LOL He would rather me cook American food for him. I have a binder of Nigerian recipes that I have learned how to cook and when I cook them he loves it. The best way to learn is through self-education. I used Google to learn everything I could about Nigerian history, Nigerian news and current events, Nigerian cooking, I even learned a few phrases of Igbo, Ijaw, and Pidgin English through the internet. What I can't learn from my husband, I learn from educating myself. That's the way to go! wink By the way, even though he loves my American food he has promised to make me suya and I can't wait! grin
Re: My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! by Edjessy: 9:49am On Jul 06, 2015
Hello! I run a catering company in lagos and in Enugu! We make all occasions rock with our tasty dishes! I promise you will never regret working with us! Plz contact us now on 08153205969! God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Do You Prefer: Meat Or Fish ? / This Watermelon Is The Most Disappointing Thing I've Ever Seen In My Life / What's Your Favorite Chinese Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.