Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? (12084 Views)

Help, I Can't Cook To Save My Life! / My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! / Does It Matter If She Can't Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by acidtalk: 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
I got a very big surprise earlier today.

A very good friend's father called me yesterday only to instruct me to come see him unfailinly today. When I got there, I was shocked as the old man told me myself and his two sons were going to help in out in the kitchen to cook for his wife's 62nd birthday as she was expected to fly in this afternoon (she has arrived).

He specifically wanted to prepare fish stew, meat stew, fried snail sauce,banga soup, salad, jollof and fried rice as well as egusi soup.

He did the "luck deep pick" by writting in paper what the four of use were going to prepare differently, long story short,

I was lucky to have selected the fish stew and egusi soup (but had to snap the fish stew with meat stew with my friend because I hadly or never even cook fish).

After preparing dinner and we serving it to the entire household with a few fimily friends who came to the small get together.
Without announcing who prepared what, to my greatest surprise it appeared by Egusi and and meat stew got a whole lot of compliments with the egusi being the overall winner (by everyone's vote). *winks*

After much talk about the idea of men knowing how to cook and how well it could help the homefront, I was struct by the statement of an elder man of over 80years saying at his age he still enters the kitchen once a while to help his wife out and that "a man should be Ashamed rather than proud for not knowing how to cook".

Fellow nairalnders do you agree with the above statement by this elderly man? A man who grew up from the very old generation where it was believed women should do ALL domestic chores. Without the man assisting.

7 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Metalgoong(m): 5:44pm On Jun 02, 2012
acidtalk: I got a very big surprise earlier today.

A very good friend's father called me yesterday only to instruct me to come see him unfailinly today. When I got there, I was shocked as the old man told me myself and his two sons were going to help in out in the kitchen to cook for his wife's 62nd birthday as she was expected to fly in this afternoon (she has arrived).

He specifically wanted to prepare fish stew, meat stew, fried snail sauce,banga soup, salad, jollof and fried rice as well as egusi soup.

He did the "luck deep pick" by writting in paper what the four of use were going to prepare differently, long story short,

I was lucky to have selected the fish stew and egusi soup (but had to snap the fish stew with meat stew with my friend because I hadly or never even cook fish).

After preparing dinner and we serving it to the entire household with a few fimily friends who came to the small get together.
Without announcing who prepared what, to my greatest surprise it appeared by Egusi and and meat stew got a whole lot of compliments with the egusi being the overall winner (by everyone's vote). *winks*

After much talk about the idea of men knowing how to cook and how well it could help the homefront, I was struct by the statement of an elder man of over 80years saying at his age he still enters the kitchen once a while to help his wife out and that "a man should be Ashamed rather than proud for not knowing how to cook".

Fellow nairalnders do you agree with the above statement by this elderly man? A man who grew up from the very old generation where it was believed women should do ALL domestic chores. Without the man assisting.

a

I think a man should be ashamed for not knowing how to cook. At the same time, i believe a woman who lacks kitchen skill should be very ashamed; in fact, she is not worth marrying.

BTW, those old generation men knows how to cook very well.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
Me in the kitchen?! Unthinkable(!) I'd rather be where the metal meets the meat(!)

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Fourcade(m): 7:19pm On Jun 02, 2012
ArQueBusieR: Me in the kitchen?! Unthinkable(!) I'd rather be where the metal meets the meat(!)
taking a huge risk there..believe me cool

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ifihearam: 7:20pm On Jun 02, 2012
Kini big deal
Dats why yu need a woman or employ a cook.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by bashr8: 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2012
why should you know how to cook when you mum , sisters, girlfriend or wife will be there? men have no buisness in the kitchen , you can not be hursling outside with agberos, police, customs ,banks whether legit ot illegit and be thinking of how to cut onions or buy peeper to cook soup, that lame. better go and marry a woman that will cook for you or hire a cook.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:30pm On Jun 02, 2012
Fourcade:
taking a huge risk there..believe me cool
I was born to take risks. Hehe
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ikechukz(m): 7:31pm On Jun 02, 2012
cooking remains one of my hobby.i hardly eat outside.even the girls that stay next door come to my room to eat.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Mynd44: 7:38pm On Jun 02, 2012
ArQueBusieR: Me in the kitchen?! Unthinkable(!) I'd rather be where the metal meets the meat(!)
hmmm. Just hope you don't get into a situation where you need to cook

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mynd_44:
hmmm. Just hope you don't get into a situation where you need to cook
lol. . .I'm a fast learner.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Mynd44: 8:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
ArQueBusieR:
lol. . .I'm a fast learner.
Just hope your fast learning works
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by kemiola89(f): 8:24pm On Jun 02, 2012
so true! A man should be ashamed for not knowing how to cook! What if his wife is sick, who wil do the cookings.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by acidtalk: 9:22pm On Jun 02, 2012
kemiola89: so true! A man should be ashamed for not knowing how to cook! What if his wife is sick, who wil do the cookings.

exactly what i was about typing that if the woman travels so the kids will die of hunger because daddy's ego made him think he would be less of a man if he entered kitchen to cook.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Mynd44: 9:32pm On Jun 02, 2012
acidtalk:

exactly what i was about typing that if the woman travels so the kids will die of hunger because daddy's ego made him think he would be less of a man if he entered kitchen to cook.

Or they will feed the kids on garri and biscuits

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by acidtalk: 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mynd_44:
Or they will feed the kids on garri and biscuits

doubt if daddy can make garri or even tear open the biscuit wrapper.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by kilimanjaro(m): 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
Though i can prepare indomie and egg but i hate doing it with passion!
@op, why should a man be ashame? Even some women sef no sabi cook.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:01pm On Jun 02, 2012
lol @ comments.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by acidtalk: 10:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
kilimanjaro: Though i can prepare indomie and egg but i hate doing it with passion!
@op, why should a man be ashamed? Even some women sef no sabi cook.

indomie and egg? i was a Pro in preparing that at age 5
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 02, 2012
@op
I believe a man should know how to cook....for Christ sakes its what you are gonna eat.
But I don't believe there is anything. To be ashamed of if you don't know how to....

Simply learn how to.
You never know where it might come in handy.....
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Esinwaju: 10:19pm On Jun 02, 2012
A man should be ashamed if he cannot provide for his family! Every other thing na hogwash.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Ybutterfly: 10:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
^^^^^^^^aMi^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Lagusta(m): 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
If a man dosent know how to cook, it dosent mean he should be ashamed. May be bad, but not shameful.
This affected me while i was in uni, i couldnt even cook rice. If not for hostel mates, i would hav starved. Now i can make amala wit efo riro, garnished wit cow leg, pomo nd snail.
It is necessary for a man to cook well, but, it is HIGHLY COMPULSORY for a woman to know how to cook very well...

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by acidtalk: 11:23pm On Jun 02, 2012
what i detest most is being held to ransom, women will toy with your somach once they know you cant cook.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by mikolo80: 11:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
MEN THAT COOK ON THEIR WAY TO BEING GAY
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by mannet(m): 12:13am On Jun 03, 2012
Robert Kiyosaki of rich dad poor dad have already endorsed this new money making opportunity,take the right step now http:///KUhh2j
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 03, 2012
I once had a friend that did.nt know how to cook.
We all laughed at him for his lack of cooking skills. .
Then he decided to open a nairaland account. . .
After reading your thread he felt ashamed and depressed. . .
Then he put on his tv and unfortunately for him goodluck announced that its BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN ASHAMED. .
my friend just hanged himself cuz he did.nt know how to cook. .
THANKS TO MUKINA2 FOR STICKING THE WRONG THREADS ON THE FRONT PAGE sad sad
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by 80kobo(m): 12:13am On Jun 03, 2012
acidtalk: I got a very big surprise earlier today.

a

Everyone has an opinion, as for me, I knew how to cook but conveniently forgot when I met my fiancee, she beat me hands down in cooking and I just love being pampered too anyway so nothing spoil... I love her company though so I just sit around close to the kitchen cracking jokes n making noise till the food is ready.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by dunkem21(m): 12:18am On Jun 03, 2012
acidtalk:

indomie and egg? i was a Pro in preparing that at age 5

I laugh in Nairaland ., cheesy
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Pakavy(m): 12:24am On Jun 03, 2012
ikechukz: cooking remains one of my hobby.i hardly eat outside.even the girls that stay next door come to my room to eat.
...and b eaten!

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Pakavy(m): 12:28am On Jun 03, 2012
kemiola89: so true! A man should be ashamed for not knowing how to cook! What if his wife is sick, who wil do the cookings.
noted,i go marry auxillary wyf.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Damojo: 12:29am On Jun 03, 2012
Oshisco

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Fry Groundnuts/peanuts With Garri On Stovetop / What Is The Scientific And Proper Name For The Following Nigerian Foods? / Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.