Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? (3106 Views)

This Thread Will Shake The Foundations Of Your Beliefs(Pictures Included)) / Your Beliefs / Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 4:31am On May 20, 2018
What made you come to the conclusion that religion is not real??

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by 0temSapien: 7:23am On May 20, 2018
Hmm. You didn't mention the irreligious or thinkers so I won't say anything. Let me help yiu call them anyway :.

Dalaman, Hahn, Ranchoddas, HopefulLandlord, Hardmirror, 1Sharon, Johnydon22, ScepticalPyrrho, Seun
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by hahn(m): 9:41am On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:

Well religion is a real institution undecided

Maybe you should rephrase your question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:43am On May 20, 2018
hahn:

VALID.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by wyzoe: 9:46am On May 20, 2018
Critical thinking.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 9:49am On May 20, 2018
0temSapien:
Hmm. You didn't mention the irreligious or thinkers so I won't say anything. Let me help yiu call them anyway :.

Dalaman, Hahn, Ranchoddas, HopefulLandlord, Hardmirror, 1Sharon, Johnydon22, ScepticalPyrrho, Seun

Thanks for tagging members. Though agnostics are skeptical about religion, I added them to represent those who are indifferent.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 9:51am On May 20, 2018
hahn:

Okay, what made atheists of Nairaland come to the conclusion that there is no god? Or the abrahamic god does not exist?
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by festwiz(m): 9:54am On May 20, 2018
undecided
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by 1stSonOfLucifer(m): 10:22am On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:
Are you one? Besides, what do you mean by religion isn't real

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 11:32am On May 20, 2018
Exmuslim here:

I found the Quranic verse that gives directions on how to divorce underage girls if you want to end your marriage to them, we're talking girls of under 12/13 years who haven't attained puberty.
And I found out Mohammed wasn't really illiterate before the 'revelation' of the Quran like Muslims are made to believe so he could have read his 'revelations' from other books.
And so much more, too many to mention. Just too many.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by superboyspecial: 12:57pm On May 20, 2018
I tried reading the bible all through, arm yourselves with the word they said...at the end,I found stories that didn't match...thought it was the devil playing me so I stopped thinking about them,swallowed everything I was fed,fast forward to when I was in my late teens,I was opportune to come across people with almost the same questions,that was when I decided to do more further digging and believe me when I say this...the bible has answers...you just need to read it
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by beatmonster(m): 1:07pm On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:

spirituality
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by joe4christ(m): 1:59pm On May 20, 2018
Religion is entirely a man-made concept designed to control it's adherents using fear techniques and doctrines of eternal damnation. Lots of people can hardly differentiate spirituality from religion, if you're truly spiritual, then you'll be able to clearly see the human induced influence on every religious belief and practice. Its not of divine origin...
From a logical standpoint you'll find lots and lots of discrepancies and contradiction that might render you more confused than ever. Funny thing is, you can decide to twist these religious doctrines to suit whatever lies you intend to promote, it's an endless circle of great scam. Believe me! cool

5 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by joe4christ(m): 2:03pm On May 20, 2018
superboyspecial:
I tried reading the bible all through, arm yourselves with the word they said...at the end,I found stories that didn't match...thought it was the devil playing me so I stopped thinking about them,swallowed everything I was fed,fast forward to when I was in my late teens,I was opportune to come across people with almost the same questions,that was when I decided to do more further digging and believe me when I say this...the bible has answers...you just need to read it

You're still under the influence of indoctrination. With time u will still realise it...
Only you can set yourself free from that mental slavery. Only you can!

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by obinna58(m): 2:12pm On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:

The're lots of reasons which made me came into such conclusion
1. The're thousands of Gods and religions
2. The hipocrisy of religious people
2. Bible confusion, parables, justified killings,
Impossibilities and lies
4. Spirituality scam
5. Religious enmity, colonization and war
6. Unverifiable claims from different religion
7. Religion limiting human action and development
8. Failed miracles and prophecies
9. Too much lies from religious leaders

The're many more

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 20, 2018
I prefer to be called a sceptic.

My journey first started with unusual discoveries, a pinch of doubt and several times of thinking outside the religious box.
After few years,It metamorphosed into a strong stringent uncertainty. As of today, my faith is dead and buried, thanks to nairaland atheist. embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by oglalasioux(m): 2:49pm On May 20, 2018
There's nothing else that can make you an atheist more than the Bible. Read it back to back and you'll stop believing in anything called God/gods and attributes linked to it/them.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Sirfeeking(m): 2:53pm On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:

Thanks for tagging members. Though agnostics are skeptical about religion, I added them to represent those who are indifferent.
We also have deists on Nairaland.Religion is nothing but opium of the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by TheEminentLaity: 3:11pm On May 20, 2018
The burden of proof is on those who claim there is a god or god(s). Christianity has a ridiculously parochial worldview. God, the creator of the heavens and the earth became man and came for a tiny ethnic group; was killed by humans as planned by god himself and father; and decides to punish everyone including the unborn if they don't acknowledge him. One really has to be afraid of knowledge and reality to continue as an adherent.

Religion(s) understood within its historical context would very likely make any assertive person an unbeliever or at the very least a skeptic.

As for me, it was not until I become a faithful (born again) christian, wanting to know more of god as the bible reveals that led to me calling it the biggest BS that ever existed among men. I read the Bible and history of the faith, plus being in the sciences enabled me question everything about the universe and life existence. The answers as well as questions you find are more fascinating than anything written in any book of talking donkeys or prophets splitting moons.

I hold nothing against the religious, I don't even proselytize anymore. Whatever makes them happy. As most would rather be happy than choose an uncomfortable truth.

Are you religious, pri3stess?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 3:14pm On May 20, 2018
TheEminentLaity:
The burden of proof is on those who claim there is a god or god(s). Christianity has a ridiculously parochial worldview. God, the creator of the heavens and the earth became man and came for a tiny ethnic group; was killed by humans as planned by god himself and father; and decides to punish everyone including the unborn if they don't acknowledge him. One really has to be afraid of knowledge and reality to continue as an adherent.

Religion(s) understood within its historical context would very likely make any assertive person an unbeliever or at the very least a skeptic.

As for me, it was not until I become a faithful (born again) christian, wanting to know more of god as the bible reveals that led to me calling it the biggest BS that ever existed among men. I read the Bible and history of the faith, plus being in the sciences enabled me question everything about the universe and life existence. The answers as well as questions you find are more fascinating than anything written in any book of talking donkeys or prophets splitting moons.

I hold nothing against the religious, I don't even proselytize anymore. Whatever makes them happy. As most would rather be happy than choose an uncomfortable truth.

Are you religious, pri3stess?

Used to be until I asked myself certain questions.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 3:16pm On May 20, 2018
Sirfeeking:
We also have deists on Nairaland.Religion is nothing but opium of the masses.

Especially in places like Nigeria. Some of these scammers that call themselves pastors have fooled the masses and made them believe they can pray anything away, including bad leaders.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 3:17pm On May 20, 2018
1stSonOfLucifer:

Are you one? Besides, what do you mean by religion isn't real

maybe.

Religion is a tool that used to control people.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by TheEminentLaity: 3:18pm On May 20, 2018
Were you a Christian or Muslim? and are you an agnostic now?
pri3stess:

Used to be until I asked myself certain questions.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 3:26pm On May 20, 2018
TheEminentLaity:
Were you a Christian or Muslim? and are you an agnostic now?

I was a Christian. I'm not religious or a skeptic.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by TheEminentLaity: 3:33pm On May 20, 2018
You should say why you stopped believing the Christian doctrine and arrived at what you are now, an atheist I presume.
pri3stess:

I was a Christian. I'm not religious or a skeptic.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Sirfeeking(m): 3:54pm On May 20, 2018
pri3stess:

Especially in places like Nigeria. Some of these scammers that call themselves pastors have fooled the masses and made them believe they can pray anything away, including bad leaders.
Religion is full of bullsh1t,heresy etc,I was once a bible hugger...from a catholic and pentecostal background.I started questioning religion because I observed so much flaws in it.When it comes to religion,even the educated ones are also victims.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by UnknownQueen(f): 4:07pm On May 20, 2018
I have not fully come to terms with any belief presently.....I'm just still skeptical about Christianity, Islam , Atheism, Agnostics....etc..

Reason being that, I'm still of the view that The universe and the people therein cant just come to being without an originator or creator.....Who is this creator, is just this never ending question which religious people have not been able to answer....thereby questioning religion itself..........

What scares me most about this different brands of religion is that they all have different and contrary views about God, which leads me to another question, WHICH OF THESE GODS IS REAL?...

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by pri3stess(f): 4:13pm On May 20, 2018
TheEminentLaity:
You should say why you stopped believing the Christian doctrine and arrived at what you are now, an atheist I presume.

1. I noticed that none of my "prayers" had ever been answered and I had never witnessed anything miraculous.

2. I never had any spiritual awakening like some people claim to have after fasting, praying and doing other things to get closer to god. Sometimes I think people that claim that God has spoken to them simply have a mental illness or they are straight up lying.

3. Evolution can be scientifically proven but creationism cannot.

4. I looked at the damaging effects of Christianity in poorer countries. Notice that most developed nations are not even religious. Meanwhile, the undeveloped ones are the most religious. The developed nations used their brain and love for their country to develop their country, not prayers.

5. A large number of Nigerian religious leaders are scammers that prey on the gullibility of Nigerians for financial gain.

6. Religions like Christianity were brought to Africa by the white man as a tool to control us. Not trying to attack northerners but notice how they never forced their religion on northern Nigerians but they did it to the Southerners? They felt that northerners were more malleable and willing to do whatever they said without revolting. Unlike southerners that fought until they were defeated. They convinced us they were better than us because of their skin color. They made us docile by beating bible quotes like these into our mindsets.......

Hebrews 13:17 ESV
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Titus 3:1 ESV
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Meanwhile, these people were robbing us blind. Their intention was not to spread Christianity but to rob us right in front of our eyes using the bible as a cover.

Notice how despite the religions northerners practice, they still favored them over the southerners and left power to them once they left?

7. Even the bible says "faith without works is dead". If I have an exam to take, I study very hard, I will eventually pass the test. How on earth did god help me pass the test if i studied? If I had never studied for the exam, there's no amount of prayers that will help me pass. I simply worked hard for my marks, period!

7 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Laeroy(f): 4:25pm On May 20, 2018
Hi everyone, Goodafternoon and happy Sunday...
Feel very glad to be here....
I hope someone gives me a listening ear here...

I'm a lady of diverse views and beliefs about religion, let's just say I'm a Christian because I'm married to a Christian, I have a child and I'm expectant of the next...I follow my hubby to church just to make him happy...I'm a member of the choir because I've got a great voice and I love to sing.....

Something happened recently to me....
I went for a vigil and the preacher (invited guest), started prayers, even as a regular Christian, I ain't a fan of shaking body and head vigorously when praying, so the preacher insisted EVERYONE stands, but I rebelled and refused to do as he says, and because he noticed that I was a member of the choir, he said right from the altar that I ain't supposed to be a minister, immediately my heart sank, the following day, The issues generated lots of controversies in the church, and the group has decided to punish me, I don't know what the punishment will be, but I guess it will either be an indefinite suspension or I'm being asked to apologize to the whole church....

Normally, if I weren't married, I would leave the church with immediate effect, as I do not think I should be forced to pray in a way and manner I do not believe in...

But I'm married, my husband would not have me go to another church, while I stay at home...
I'm also thinking of what effect this would have on my kid and my home (marriage) in general...
Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 20, 2018
obinna58:

The're lots of reasons which made me came into such conclusion
1. The're thousands of Gods and religions
2. The hipocrisy of religious people
2. Bible confusion, parables, justified killings,
Impossibilities and lies
4. Spirituality scam
5. Religious enemity, colonization and war
6. Unverifiable claims from different religion
7. Religion limiting human action and development
8. Failed miracles and prophecies
9. Too much lies from religious leaders

The're many more
enmity. I don't know why Nigerians mispronounce that word

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by TheEminentLaity: 5:19pm On May 20, 2018
Very well, although it reads like you doubt the personal efficacy of these religions. However, there are still questions unanswered like how life and the universe came to be, reports of paranormal activities, NDEs Back to life and Jesus stories, if this is the only life, death, evil ... because when belief is discarded, a void is left.

so, you still might be vulnerable to another religion that's not as invasive and violent as the abrahamic ones, that might explain pleasurable coincidences but the question remains: "are the claims true and verifiable?" I liken religion to a strong whirlpool that sucks in those without knowledge. Its potency is not to be underestimated.

The Scientific method is the most reliable way to come to truth based on facts and a fascinating way to understand reality and phenomena. Good to fill that void with objective knowledge.

You should read this if you haven't already: https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion

pri3stess:

1. I noticed that none of my "prayers" had ever been answered and I had never witnessed anything miraculous.

2. I never had any spiritual awakening like some people claim to have after fasting, praying and doing other things to get closer to god. Sometimes I think people that claim that God has spoken to them simply have a mental illness or they are straight up lying.

3. Evolution can be scientifically proven but creationism cannot.

4. I looked at the damaging effects of Christianity in poorer countries. Notice that most developed nations are not even religious. Meanwhile, the undeveloped ones are the most religious. The developed nations used their brain and love for their country to develop their country, not prayers.

5. A large number of Nigerian religious leaders are scammers that prey on the gullibility of Nigerians for financial gain.

6. Religions like Christianity were brought to Africa by the white man as a tool to control us. Not trying to attack northerners but notice how they never forced their religion on northern Nigerians but they did it to the Southerners? They felt that northerners were more malleable and willing to do whatever they said without revolting. Unlike southerners that fought until they were defeated. They convinced us they were better than us because of their skin color. They made us docile by beating bible quotes like these into our mindsets.......

Hebrews 13:17 ESV
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Titus 3:1 ESV
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Meanwhile, these people were robbing us blind. Their intention was not to spread Christianity but to rob us right in front of our eyes using the bible as a cover.

Notice how despite the religions northerners practice, they still favored them over the southerners and left power to them once they left?

7. Even the bible says "faith without works is dead". If I have an exam to take, I study very hard, I will eventually pass the test. How on earth did god help me pass the test if i studied? If I had never studied for the exam, there's no amount of prayers that will help me pass. I simply worked hard for my marks, period!

Re: Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? by SwagPower: 5:48pm On May 20, 2018
Laeroy:
Hi everyone, Goodafternoon and happy Sunday...
Feel very glad to be here....
I hope someone gives me a listening ear here...

I'm a lady of diverse views and beliefs about religion, let's just say I'm a Christian because I'm married to a Christian, I have a child and I'm expectant of the next...I follow my hubby to church just to make him happy...I'm a member of the choir because I've got a great voice and I love to sing.....

Something happened recently to me....
I went for a vigil and the preacher (invited guest), started prayers, even as a regular Christian, I ain't a fan of shaking body and head vigorously when praying, so the preacher insisted EVERYONE stands, but I rebelled and refused to do as he says, and because he noticed that I was a member of the choir, he said right from the altar that I ain't supposed to be a minister, immediately my heart sank, the following day, The issues generated lots of controversies in the church, and the group has decided to punish me, I don't know what the punishment will be, but I guess it will either be an indefinite suspension or I'm being asked to apologize to the whole church....

Normally, if I weren't married, I would leave the church with immediate effect, as I do not think I should be forced to pray in a way and manner I do not believe in...

But I'm married, my husband would not have me go to another church, while I stay at home...
I'm also thinking of what effect this would have on my kid and my home (marriage) in general...

Happy sunday ma'am...We live in a society dt frowns or outrighlty castigates pple who dnt seem to be as religioua as every1 around dem or eho r flat out atheist or agnostic...so i suggest 4 nw jst kip up the charade....The pastors in the churvhes nw r considered demigods and wateva dey say is considered the best practice..No wonder d manipulate tge pple of their congregation wit impunity...

If its a suspension serve it and if u asked to apologize in front of d church although dis myt b difficult or even chastening ..pls go ahead and do it..wldnt take notin frm you and wldnt inteodice strains in2 ir marriage...

its wat the 48 paws of powet will call d "surrender tactics"..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is God? Enoch, The Book Of Enoch & The Anunnaki's / Why Do Christian Celebrate Easter When Is Not In Bible? / Names, Origin, Ancestry And History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.