Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? (18345 Views)

Mosques And Churches To Reopen In Lagos On August 7 & 9 Respectively / Queen Of CYON Lagos Archdiocese: Right For Churches To Organize Beauty Pageants? / Pastor Enenche Blasts Critics Asking Churches To Build Industries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Emmy1234567890: 1:04pm On May 20, 2018
There is different between culture and tradition. Cultural day in church is a YES
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by IME1: 1:06pm On May 20, 2018
You needed to be at St Anthony Fate today, simply marvellous
Different tribes
I'd to ask the name of some when they were speaking,
They were other visitors like me, one from CAC and other churches
God is love
In love we are one

#peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Olatara(f): 1:06pm On May 20, 2018
Seetto:
Jesus that cannot save himself will save u, Jesus that was nailed on the cross hopelessly after praying and fasting for forty days and night and was not heard will save u. Keep deceiving urself, seriously gone astray, God turn to man and made himself to b tortured and killed by his creatures , he made himself to be sacrificed on a tree by his creatures and his blood washed away all ur sins and if u commit sin u still go to hell and jesus sacrifice on the cross will be useless, wahala da........this is gullible and unaccepted, don't know y people claim to be educated and made fool out of themselves, well Nigeria western education is meant for that purpose,

QUESTIONS
where is the word bible in the bible
Where is the word Christianity in the bible
Did Jesus called u christian
Was Jesus born on Christmas day, or celebrating romans triune gods, basis for doctrine of trinity.
Did Jesus ask u to worship on Sunday?
How many times the word church appears in the bible
Jesus said am sent only to the loss sheep of Israel.
What made u to b an Israelite, just hope u ain't wasting ur time according to Jesus,
So what Shud we do now? Because u didn't believe in Christianity does not mean other people doesn't. Oga stick to your opinion
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by clinton21: 1:07pm On May 20, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:

But this culture u advice us to be proud of includes conjuring some idol demons.

Church is a place of worship, not a cultural center
remember some cultures cannot do without masquerade some do other demonic things. so how can be celebrated in the church
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by nelxxy(m): 1:13pm On May 20, 2018
clinton21:

remember some cultures cannot do without masquerade some do other demonic things. so how can be celebrated in the church

Really!!! smh
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by gamaliel9: 1:17pm On May 20, 2018
No need to insult her..a little knowledge about AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION AND INCULTURATION will help her... you can only worship God in truth and in spirit which is your entire being,worldview,history,heritage...all these make up the truth about you ,inside and outside..your culture shapes who you are...and it is who you are that you present to God...the whites that brought the Word of God to us didnt tell us that but now..we are becoming more aware of who you are..WE WANT TO WRITE OUR OWN HISTORY..this is why you see churches bringing culture as part of worship..savvy?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by enemyofprogress: 1:21pm On May 20, 2018
Very useless thread for very useless people
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by enemyofprogress: 1:22pm On May 20, 2018
clinton21:

keep quiet
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Crowny11(f): 1:25pm On May 20, 2018
Hmmmmmm
I think there's a vast difference between, belief,norms and culture, there is nothing bad in celebrating our culture since it wat makes us human.....
but practicing our forefathers religion is nt right......

shalom
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
This trend has been going on for years in Catholic churches but one can only look aside on any thing pertaining Roman catholic idealogies of their long aged magnitude of haphazard kind of worship.
But recently Redeemed churches too joined the age lond trend and the occassion is a sight to behold seeing different people with cultural attires displaying all manner of antics in church.
A man even demonstrated some usage of charms and herbs on stage citing it as a cultural believe before christianity and at the end cultural dance was exhibited by various groups.

My question is,"where has some of these churches lost it?

Christianity and the church is another man's culture n tradition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by ikorodureporta: 1:31pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
A man even demonstrated some usage of charms and herbs on stage citing it as a cultural believe before christianity and at the end cultural dance was exhibited by various groups.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by gamaliel9: 1:35pm On May 20, 2018
Dialogue happen between two cultures....[ eg,christianity and igbo culture]and the result becomes more fruitful...thats what we are trying to have...a richer way of worshipping God..

Very soon Igba Nkwu and Sacramentalization[white wedding] will be joined in our ceremony..

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by ochiazam: 1:46pm On May 20, 2018
bloodofthelamb:
The "new creation" has no business with the culture and tradition of this world. The moment you are in Christ and Christ is in you, you ceased being a citizen of any nation and from any tribe.

There is no Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa in Christ Jesus. We are all one in God.

So why is it that in the new testament , the apostles used the words Jews and gentiles ?.

What you seem to forget is that God is the one that creates the ocean, sea, the sky.

He is the one that created different races and ethnic groups with different accents living in a diverse habitat. If he believes we shouldn't have any culture then why didn't just make us one race from the beginning rather then going through the stress of creating multiple race ?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Geesaintagape: 2:00pm On May 20, 2018
I repeat myself -I hate religion.
Xtianity is a foreign culture.
Ur post is 100% stupid n nonsense.
I was thought as a child in jesus sanctuary(Pentecostostal church) that Roman Catholic is a cult but as an adult i can tell u that Pentecostal churches owners are demonic n occultic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by GuntersChain(m): 2:02pm On May 20, 2018
op started by judging the catholic church, but the holy book says “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.(Matthew 7:1)

India was colonised by the british but they didn't loose their culture and traditions to their colonial masters.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by UbiPetrus: 2:03pm On May 20, 2018
gamaliel9:

I am a catholic and shall remain so till death...The only money sent to the Vatican is the one called VOCATION SUNDAY COLLECTION...this is done in all parishes and Dioceses worldwide on a specified Sunday,ONCE EVERY YEAR. This is sent to Vatican and The Vatican in turn sends this money to POOR DIOCESES all over the world like Dioceses in Sudan,Chad,Mali,Burkina Faso,Central African Republic, even to Nigeria especially to the North,Venezuela,Cuba,etc . This is done to help them grow and not depend on offertories. Savvy?
Very correct. My Diocese has benefited immensely from this collection.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by omojeesu(m): 2:08pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
This trend has been going on for years in Catholic churches but one can only look aside on any thing pertaining Roman catholic idealogies of their long aged magnitude of haphazard kind of worship.
But recently Redeemed churches too joined the age lond trend and the occassion is a sight to behold seeing different people with cultural attires displaying all manner of antics in church.

RIGHT OR WRONG, IT IS A DISTRACTION, OUR OWN IDEA AND CREATION FOR FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. WE BORROWED IT FROM THE WORLD, THEREFORE, WORLDLY AND FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD = ABOMINATION TO GOD.

WHEN JESUS SAID, 'OCCUPY TILL I COME ' IS THIS PART OF WHAT HE MEANT? CERTAINLY NOT ESPECIALLY IN THESE LAST DAYS.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by UbiPetrus: 2:14pm On May 20, 2018
At the moment, I honestly do not care if the so called "cultural day" is good or evil.
I'm mad at the desperate attempt by the poster to demonize the Catholic Church in her stupid bid to gain relevance.

Dear OP, I know you care not about the question you pretended to ask. You were only subtly seeking to insult and demonize the Catholic Church.
I hope you got what you wanted. Give yourself some accolades.

But hear me, your regurgitated anti Catholic nonsense, flowing from your hate filled heart is just a reflection of your inferior, bigoted and disgruntled self. The Church will continue to match on and there is nothing you or your father - the accuser of the brethren can do about it.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 20, 2018
clinton21:

atleast one sane person is still alive here
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by tete7000(m): 2:16pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:

All these mumu people who know nothing about church and it's history just wake up a d talk gilberrish. If Catholic Church worship is haphazard, op is it your church that has no particular mode of worship that is not haphazard. If I may ask you self, what makes up a worship?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by bloodofthelamb(m): 2:27pm On May 20, 2018
ochiazam:

So why is it that in the new testament , the apostles used the words Jews and gentiles ?.

What you seem to forget is that God is the one that creates the ocean, sea, the sky.

He is the one that created different races and ethnic groups with different accents living in a diverse habitat. If he believes we shouldn't have any culture then why didn't just make us one race from the beginning rather then going through the stress of creating multiple race ?

In what context did the apostles used the word Jews and Gentiles? Gal 3:28 says "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

For as many that is baptized into Christ has put on Christ. Note: I am not talking about water baptism but the Holy Ghost baptism which Jesus is the baptizer. Christ is the identity of the new creation.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Radicalman(m): 2:37pm On May 20, 2018
I think we should try as much as possible to differiate between cultures and idle charm is not culture but idle
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Gggg102(m): 2:43pm On May 20, 2018
bloodofthelamb:
The "new creation" has no business with the culture and tradition of this world. The moment you are in Christ and Christ is in you, you ceased being a citizen of any nation and from any tribe.

But your white wedding is adopted European culture...

Baptism and other rites are Jewish culture...

The suit you most likely wear to church is European culture.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 20, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Bro, your. claim, that the "new creation" has no business with the culture and tradition of this world was said by who. Remember, when Jesus said that we are no more from the world, meant that we are no more meant to living according to the wants of the world such as adultery, lieing, etc. It didn't mean that we should stop doing EVERYTHING done by the world. Even Jesus attended the wedding ceremony at Cana in Galilee which was celebrated with the tradition of the jews.
God created us all and created culture and all tribes of the world, does it mean that He didn't know what He was doing?
Even language is part of culture, can you tell me what is wrong with that. Wearing clothes that represent your culture to church as a means of promoting and representing your culture, is it also wrong.
Please let us all be wary of religious extremism which devil himself use to lure many to hell.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by bloodofthelamb(m): 2:48pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
I love u

Most of them demonizing you here don't even know what it means to be in Christ to begin with. You can't be an ambassador of heaven and still be an ambassador of the world. It is impossible.

Here what apostle Peter said: For as much as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation Received by TRADITION from your Fathers (1Peter 1:18). Jesus redeemed us from our vain tradition and culture that has brought nothing but condemnation and division.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 20, 2018
clinton21:

Since church is a place of worship, therefore everything not related to worship should be STRICTLY banned including communicating with your loved ones inside the church compound?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Mpanyi: 2:52pm On May 20, 2018
Op, do you really know what is haphazard? If you want to use the word, use it as it concerns pentecostalism as catholic mode of worship is systematic, solemn and pragmatic. Nothing haphazard about catholicism.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Mpanyi: 2:59pm On May 20, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

ALL THE RICHES IN THE VATICAN FELL FROM HEAVEN.
Seems you have personal issue with catholic church. My fear is it may kill you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 20, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:

But this culture u advice us to be proud of includes conjuring some idol demons.
I don't think that the idea behind celebrating cultural day in the church I attend which is the Catholic Church is about portraying and encouraging the negative aspects of culture. That because one or two negative things are a part of culture doesn't mean that we should condemn the whole thing.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by bloodofthelamb(m): 3:06pm On May 20, 2018
nwokoyepraise:

Bro, your. claim, that the "new creation" has no business with the culture and tradition of this world was said by who. Remember, when Jesus said that we are no more from the world, meant that we are no more meant to living according to the wants of the world such as adultery, lieing, etc. It didn't mean that we should stop doing EVERYTHING done by the world. Even Jesus attended the wedding ceremony at Cana in Galilee which was celebrated with the tradition of the jews.
God created us all and created culture and all tribes of the world, does it mean that He didn't know what He was doing?
Even language is part of culture, can you tell me what is wrong with that. Wearing clothes that represent your culture to church as a means of promoting and representing your culture, is it also wrong.
Please let us all be wary of religious extremism which devil himself use to lure many to hell.

Listen, the "new creation in Christ" is a citizen of heaven sent as an ambassador to the world. An ambassador of America in Nigeria have no business with the tradition and culture of Nigeria.

He is here on behalf of his Nation (America), even so are believers in the world on behalf of heaven.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Amacaco: 3:18pm On May 20, 2018
@op :The bible is against idol worship and not culture. Culture is our way of life including dress es, food, songs, marriage rites, presentation and eating of kola nuts, etc. These are things we do daily. It is not wrong for Christians to worship and honor God according to their way of life.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Originalsly: 3:26pm On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:

Lost what?...you can't lose something you never had. Nothing wrong in celebrating culture or whatever in any such 'church'. Catholics are Catholics...not Christians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria / The Price Is Only Belief/faith In One Single God, Without Parnership. Buy It Low / Wearing Rings On The Toes To Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.