Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,943 members, 7,956,559 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:58 PM

Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? (18766 Views)

Mosques And Churches To Reopen In Lagos On August 7 & 9 Respectively / Queen Of CYON Lagos Archdiocese: Right For Churches To Organize Beauty Pageants? / Pastor Enenche Blasts Critics Asking Churches To Build Industries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by SalC: 3:31pm On May 20, 2018
gamaliel9:
Dialogue happen between two cultures....[ eg,christianity and igbo culture]and the result becomes more fruitful...thats what we are trying to have...a richer way of worshipping God..

Very soon Igba Nkwu and Sacramentalization[white wedding] will be joined in our ceremony..

I can't wait to witness this.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 20, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Listen, the "new creation in Christ" is a citizen of heaven sent as an ambassador to the world. An ambassador of America in Nigeria have no business with the tradition and culture of Nigeria.

He is here on behalf of his Nation (America), even so are believers in the world on behalf of heaven.

So an American ambassador in Nigeria is forbidden to wear Nigerian cultural clothes, speak Nigerian languages, eat Nigerian food and partake in Nigerian cultural activities including traditional marriages just because he is an American ambassador in Nigeria?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:38pm On May 20, 2018
Mpanyi:

Seems you have personal issue with catholic church. My fear is it may kill you.

THREATS UPON THREATS AFTER THREATS..

THE ONLY WAY RELIGION HAS MANAGED TO SURVIVE THIS LONG.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by granuloma: 3:39pm On May 20, 2018
Samsimple:
I tire 4 Nigeria church ushers person no fit sleep 4 e papa house again

if your papa dey talk to u, u fit sleep?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by UbiPetrus: 3:46pm On May 20, 2018
Originalsly:

Lost what?...you can't lose something you never had. Nothing wrong in celebrating culture or whatever in any such 'church'. Catholics are Catholics...not Christians.
Clap for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Moji12(f): 3:49pm On May 20, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Yes it is,
It actually shows that we are thanking God for our diversity. We first had culture before we even became Christians. Christianity does not erase our culture, instead it validates them.

My church even takes it further,
On our cultural day, you are either expected to come with your native food, dress like your village's masquerade or bring a charm.

As long as it is to the glory of God, it doesn't matter.
(1 Cor. 10: 26-31).
u r no longer a Muslim abi? Thought u were fasting, shior
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by bloodofthelamb(m): 3:51pm On May 20, 2018
nwokoyepraise:

So an American ambassador in Nigeria is forbidden to wear Nigerian cultural clothes, speak Nigerian languages, eat Nigerian food and partake in Nigerian cultural activities including traditional marriages just because he is an American ambassador in Nigeria?

Go and study more about ambassadors. You will learn more
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by bloodofthelamb(m): 3:54pm On May 20, 2018
Gggg102:

But your white wedding is adopted European culture...
Baptism and other rites are Jewish culture...
The suit you most likely wear to church is European culture.
White wedding is men's tradition and not of God.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by MrAnele(m): 3:56pm On May 20, 2018
Jigba:

Nice read but I don't agree with the Western education part.
Why?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by MrAnele(m): 3:56pm On May 20, 2018
Jigba:

Nice read but I don't agree with the Western education part.
Why?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 20, 2018
MrAnele:
Why?

I mean I understand the need to teach the African version of Physics and so on but do we have it?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by akaahs(m): 4:37pm On May 20, 2018
HeyCorleone:

What exactly is that statement supposed to mean?

Haphazard kind of worship?

No. It's just plain wrong. Because you don't understand something doesn't make it "haphazard". Do not just judge from the outside. Have you ever attended a single Catholic mass in your life.

I was once attending Redeem but I went to the Catholic church once and never went back. I was awed.

At least in the Catholic Church there is no stress on tithing and other mundane form of extortion to enrich the Priest like in Redeem.

And what is the issue with cultural day? Have you no culture? What is bad if the church decides to promote culture?

One unique thing about the Catholic church is they always try to fuse or highlight the culture of the people with whom they reside. If that is what you term as "magnitude haphazard kind of worship", then I can only pay that one say you come to your senses and realise the grave error you committed by the statement.

Funny thing is the one-man-business Pentecostal churches keeps fighting the Catholic church and never get a reply. That speaks volume. Like when Christ admonished us to turn the other cheek.

In my church on cultural day everyone is expected to dress in their cultural attire. Certain hymns are rendered in various native tongues. Then, at times, there is a minifeast after mass with people identifying by their culture.

If you or your Pentecostal pastors think there's a problem with that then you all are mentally deranged.

So "we have lost it" by choosing to celebrate our culture?

It is mental slaves like you that the white man likes. I bet you bear 2 English names and have never been to your village. But you would want to have an English wedding even tho it has no place in the Bible and is purely a European thing? Smh. People like you are the reasons why Africa won't grow. You feel being developed means doing away with your culture but that very thing can seriously hinder development. Why do you think Asians are getting it right?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. Because you're a born again Pentecostal doesn't mean you sacrifice commonsense on the altar of pleasing your pastor.
I salute u, u really spoke my mind
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by quincee88(f): 4:42pm On May 20, 2018
LET'S GET THIS STRAIGHT GUYS: "JUDGING FROM THE DICTIONARIES, 'CULTURE AS AN IDENTITY OF A GIVEN GROUP OF PEOPLE' HAS A VERY THIN LINE WITH TRADITIONS AND IN MOST CASES, THEY WALK SIDE BY SIDE. CHRISTIANITY ITSELF IS A CULTURE(REMEMBER PASTORS NOW DESCRIBE IT AS A WAY OF LIFE). HOWEVER, WHAT MATTERS IS THAT WE LIVE IN PEACE AND HARMONY TOGETHER" IRRESPECTIVE OF OURDIVERSE CULTURE/TRADITIONS
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Obi1kenobi(m): 4:57pm On May 20, 2018
So celebrating your culture is also now anathema to Christianity? grin Where did it go wrong in the black man's mind? We are natural born slaves, I swear! So celebrating a cultural day has become a taboo in Christianity?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by MrAnele(m): 5:05pm On May 20, 2018
Jigba:

I mean I understand the need to teach the African version of Physics and so on but do we have it?
I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as "the African version of physics".

What you i want is for us to start Teaching physics, chemistry, mathematics in our indigenous languages like it is done outside the shores of Africa...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 20, 2018
MrAnele:
I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as "the African version of physics".

What you i want is for us to start Teaching physics, chemistry, mathematics in our indigenous languages like it is done outside the shores of Africa...

But in the article it stated African version of Physics or maybe I misunderstood that part.

Ermm till now I don't think there have been efforts to translate these languages to our native languages.

I'm guessing it would be hard in Nigeria though I heard one time there have been efforts to do so..

In which African country is it done?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:26pm On May 20, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

OH.... THE IRONY.
WANTED TO PASS BUT.. COULDN'T RESIST.

- THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COLLECTS TITHE.
- THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COLLECT OFFERINGS EVERY SUNDAY, YOU'LL HEAR THINGS LIKE FIRST COLLECTION, SECOND COLLECTION, THIRD COLLECTION.. AND SOMETIMES "SPECIAL COLLECTION". ALL THIS DURING A SINGLE MASS. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DOESN'T COME OUT STRAIGHT TO DEMAND FOR COINS BUT USES SUPREME TECHNIQUES TO EXTORT IT'S MEMBERS.

- YOU MUST REALLY BE A CHILD TO THINK THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT A ONE-MAN BUSINESS. ALL THE CATHOLIC CHURCHES IN THE WORLD SENDS MOST OF THEIR MONEY MONTHLY/YEARLY TO ROME. OR HAVEN'T YOU HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT "TARGET"?
THE CHURCHES ARE MANDATED TO MEET THIS OR THAT TARGET MONTHLY.. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ALWAYS DEMANDING THIS AND THAT OFFERINGS UP TO FOUR COLLECTIONS PER MASS. AT THE END THEY SEND ALL THE MONEY TO THE DIOCESE.. THEN TO ROME THROUGH THE APPROPRIATE CHANNEL.

THIS IS ORGANIZED SLAVERY. BLACK MAN SENDING MONEY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHITEMANS VATICAN CITY... WHILE OUR OWN LANDS STAY POOR... IN THE NAME OF RELIGION. RUMOR HAS IT THAT THE VALUE OF GOLD IN THE VATICAN IS ENOUGH TO FEED THE ENTIRE AFRICAN CONTINENT FOR A CENTURY.

YOU FAILED AT PAINTING PENTECOSTAL PEOPLE BAD, WHATEVER THEY DO WAS BORROWED FROM YOUR BELOVED CATHOLIC CHURCH.

I was born and raised a Catholic (I'm not religious at all any more). I've never met a Catholic in my life who pays tithe. Not once. All the churches I grew up going to in Lagos (St Dominic in Yaba, St Agnes in Maryland, Holy Family in Festac), I never once heard anyone solicit for tithes. Ever. Not once. You could pick out 100 Catholics randomly and not a single one of them pays tithes. I've heard in some of the rural communities in the South East, parishes solicit tithes, but I've never witnessed it myself. For most of the calendar, 1st and 2nd collections is what I grew up knowing, but during Harvest periods, the frequency of collections certainly escalates. Also when the church is building new outstations or undertaking major projects, there are also more collections than usual.

And while some of the collections go to the Diocese/Arch Diocese, there are no "targets" as you claim. You can't demote or punish a priest because he doesn't raise enough money for you. grin Your claim that Catholic churches all over the world send "most of their money to Rome" is false too. The overwhelming majority of funds generated stays within its root Diocese. Once a year, a special collection called Peter's Pence is collected which any Parish/Diocese/Arch Diocese is entitled to skip and many often skip it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter%27s_Pence This amount is far less that what the Vatican itself generates.
The Vatican generates most of its revenue from tourism and its own commercial dealings from the vast estates it inherited over the centuries.

I don't understand in what way the Catholic Church is a one-man business either. Any aspiring priest can dream of being a cardinal or even a Pope. Cardinal Arinze is one of the most senior Cardinals in the Vatican and was one of the favourites in the elections for a new Pope. How is a democratic structure where anyone can rise to anything a "one-man business"?

I share your religious skepticism but some organizations are bigger profiteers than others. We don't have to draw a false equivalence to smear every religion as the same.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by password990(m): 5:33pm On May 20, 2018
See the work of brainwashing colonial western education inherited from Britain.
Every african is a victim.
help yourself, read this:
Intellectual Slavery: Information The West Don’t Want You To Know (Must Read)

Deltayankeeboi:
as long as it is the yoruba(skull miners), fulani or hausa denomic, babaric and evil cultures, it is not ALLOWED! Their cultures are setback to national development.

we igbos have a very peaceful, God loving and biblical culture. We are therefore allowed to celebrate our beautiful culture in church and anywhere else
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by MrAnele(m): 5:46pm On May 20, 2018
Jigba:

But in the article it stated African version of Physics or maybe I misunderstood that part.

Ermm till now I don't think there have been efforts to translate these languages to our native languages.

I'm guessing it would be hard in Nigeria though I heard one time there have been efforts to do so..

In which African country is it done?
There have bin no attempts whatsoever to translate these textbooks.... But religious text, bibles and all have all bin translated.... Exactly what we call misplaced priorities.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Bluffly: 6:21pm On May 20, 2018
Culture is different from Religion. Fact. Its is not wrong to show case culture but I do not support the attribution of charms
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Ajalekoko76(m): 9:40pm On May 20, 2018
The post is to mock Christianity and degrade Catholic church. OP take note...

Let us tolerate others culture and refrain from what you don't know.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Holak: 11:14am On May 21, 2018
Lilisticlili:
This trend has been going on for years in Catholic churches but one can only look aside on any thing pertaining Roman catholic idealogies of their long aged magnitude of haphazard kind of worship.
But recently Redeemed churches too joined the age lond trend and the occassion is a sight to behold seeing different people with cultural attires displaying all manner of antics in church.
A man even demonstrated some usage of charms and herbs on stage citing it as a cultural believe before christianity and at the end cultural dance was exhibited by various groups.

My question is,"where has some of these churches lost it?

What exactly do you mean by 'haphazard kind of worship'. You could have still made your point without bringing this angle to it.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:33pm On May 24, 2018
Originalsly:

Lost what?...you can't lose something you never had. Nothing wrong in celebrating culture or whatever in any such 'church'. Catholics are Catholics...not Christians.
you mean Protestants are Protestants.... not Christians.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by UbiPetrus: 1:39pm On May 24, 2018
Ubenedictus:
you mean Protestants are Protestants.... not Christians.
Ask him.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by redangel2017: 9:32pm On Jun 01, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Nigga stfu.

You celebrate the white man's traditional marriage in a church already. So? Yesterday you watched the Royal Wedding - that is European culture. Funny thing is such wedding is repeated in churches around Nigeria every Saturday. Another man's culture. And you have a problem with celebrating your own culture in church?

It's just inferiority complex that makes you think celebrating cultural day in the church is wrong.
lol ok cm nd celebrate masqurade in ur church naa.. U knw the kind culture we er talking about here
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by TheUbermensch: 1:51am On Jun 02, 2018
redangel2017:
lol ok cm nd celebrate masqurade in ur church naa.. U knw the kind culture we er talking about here

Is it every aspect of our culture that is associated with darkness?
Don't we have traditional praises to God? Can't we say a prayer to God? So is it a crime to adorn your traditional attire and come sing traditional praises to God while highlighting your culture?

You're intellectually inept and would be a very dull parent to your kids.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by redangel2017: 7:54am On Jun 06, 2018
TheUbermensch:

Is it every aspect of our culture that is associated with darkness?
Don't we have traditional praises to God? Can't we say a prayer to God? So is it a crime to adorn your traditional attire and come sing traditional praises to God while highlighting your culture?so u er saying some will celebrate in church while some will not... Culture is culture.. Anyway i understand whr u er coming from.. I wish u get my point too

You're intellectually inept and would be a very dull parent to your kids.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oyedepo Curses Robbers Who Raided Canaanland / Are Jehovah Witnesses Right About Their Belief Against Blood Transfusion? / Mountain Of Fire Drags Ex Pastors & Members To Court Over Money & Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.