Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader (990 Views)

Hausa Leader Tells Buhari To Repair Federal Roads In Igboland / Governor Fayose Clothed One Of The Hausa Leader With His Agbada / Hausa Leader To Jonathan-dont Dialogue With Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader by mekuszyx: 3:52am On May 26, 2010
We’ve no plan to leave Aba for Bauchi
•Says Alhaji Bello, whose great grandfather settled there over 100 years ago
From OKEY SAMPSON, Aba
Wednesday, May 26, 2010

•Bello
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
The forefathers of Alhaji Kaka Bello came to Aba in Abia State over 100 years ago. Upon their arrival, their host community in Ngwa accepted them and gave them land to settle down. Since then, the Bellos have been living in peace with their host and even inter-changing marriages with them.

Kaka Bello, 37, who is now the Sariki Hausawa (leader of the Hausa community) in Aba told Daily Sun revealed how they came to settle in the Enyimba City, saying they have no plan to return to their home state, Bauchi to live again. Excerpts:

Leadership challenge
It is a great challenge for me; for a young man of about 37 years assuming the leadership role of the Hausa community in a city like Aba. You can see how large the city is and Aba is highly populated by my people. I feel excited at the challenge.

Host community
The Igbos are very wonderful, most especially my host community because I have to start from home. When my great grandfather came to Aba more than 100 years ago, he was accepted by the Igbos (Ngwas). In fact, he and other members of the family were given a large expanse of land free at Ndiegoro (Aba) where they settled. Not only that, hospital Road/Mosque Street where we have our mosque was given to my people free of charge. We are still enjoying the privilege up till now. So, the Igbos are very wonderful people, they are very accommodating.

Ruling house
The first man from the Bello family that came to Aba in the late 19th Century who incidentally was the first-Hausa leader in Aba, was Mallam Mohammadu Bello.
He was my great grandfather. He died in 1962 and my grandfather took over the mantle of leadership of the Aba-Hausa community.
When my grandfather Alhaji Ibrahim Sariki Bello died in 1982, my late father Alhaji Sariki Tanko Bello took over and the mantle of leadership fell on me when my father died in 2004. So, you can see, since the inception of the Hausa community here in Aba over 100 years ago, the Bello family has been the ruling house.

Numeral strength
I cannot say exactly the number of northerners living here in Aba; they are so many. The number should not be anything less than 20,000. Very soon, we will embark on a census to know the exact figure. You know my people live and do business in Osisioma, Obingwa, Ugwunagbo, Aba North, and Aba South local governments and their numerical strength is high.

Sectarian crises
We have to educate our people on the essence of unity because there will not be any meaningful development in a chaotic situation. We are Nigerians and we have to accept ourselves as such. An Igbo man should see an Hausa man as part of himself and vice versa. Even when we are provoked, we should be able to tolerate ourselves. Dialogue I believe should be the way out instead of engaging in fracas. We also have to put God first in whatever we are doing. If we do that, sectarian crisis in the country will be drastically reduced.

Another thing is that inter-tribal marriages should be encouraged. I think it is very important to put religion aside at times and inter-marry so that we can achieve peace in the country and live as one.

Councillorship bid
I was denied the opportunity to serve my people. I am highly accepted here in Aba. It were the Igbos that campaigned for me, it were the Igbos that voted for me. During my campaign, it were the Igbos that formed the bulk of my campaign team. In fact, the Igbos voted massively for me, but the problem I had was the problem we generally have in Nigeria today where one will win election and another declared winner.

Going back to Bauchi
Ah No! Aba is my home. I was born here and have lived all my life in the city. What am I going back to Bauchi State for? I have been getting all I want in this commercial city. I am comfortable and my family members too; in fact, the Hausa community here is happy. The only thing I can do is visit Bauchi probably spend few days and come back to Aba.

Re: Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader by EzeUche(m): 6:04am On May 26, 2010
See we Igbos are very hospitable. I wish his kinsmen would see the wisdom in this man's words.
Re: Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader by bkbabe97: 6:49am On May 26, 2010
Well, truth be told, the Ibos are very hospitable, if cutthroat, people!!!
Re: Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader by otokx(m): 7:36am On May 26, 2010
tales by moonlight
Re: Igbo People Are So, So Wonderful Says Hausa Leader by omongbati1: 4:00am On Aug 01, 2013
bump

(1) (Reply)

Olukayode Adeniyi, Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo / President Goodluck Jonathan Declares *live Video* / How Ibb Killed Dele Giwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.