Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? (28275 Views)

Traffic Gridlock: Ambode Orders Relocation Of Bus Terminals / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies / Master-planned Cities: Is Abuja Really A Well-planned City To Your Mind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by ohaechesi(m): 4:10pm On Feb 10, 2009
Abuja is a nice place based on statistics but could share of the same ranking with Calabar or even depreciate from Calabar's pedestal. Fortunately, i was opportune to visit Calabar last i visited Naija, 2008 xmas to be presides. I was convinced with what i saw and i'm planning to release my loads big time in Calabar. Oyo is also coming up. I'm not from any of those states but to be honest with you, Calabar is a nice place to relocate for those of us in diaspora.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by g7: 4:46pm On Feb 10, 2009
I got tired of the junk that lagos was/ is years back and packed a few things to move down to abuja. The move was impulsive but was trigered by an ever ending memory while on a short vissit. I am glad for it all now 8 years later.

It can be lonely though. Everyone seems to be for him/herself. However all that is made up for by the organised way the city is designed. Its not all rosy though but you can afford to cruise around in town all night till dawn with your eyes closed.

If you can afford it, buy a house which will set you back b/w 30M - 150M depending on the location you choose. If you've got your nose in the air (aristo) you will have company on the other hand there a few undeveloped areas that will remind you of lagos shanties - Ive seen it all.

The best part is that I can sit in a park and read a book while the sun sets on a sunday afternoon.

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 10, 2009
In the last few months I have also been seriously considering moving to Abuja. I'm beginning to like the place. My current company cannot post me to Abuja, because my dept is basically a head office work. I'm considering moving to a bank(GTB or PHB) and ask that I be posted to Abuja.

I learnt Abuja is expensive, but I doubt if it can be more expensive than VI. I live in VI now, and our semi-detached duplex was bought for 50m(na family house o).

I was in Abuja in December and I got a decent hotel @ 5k, beyond my imagination. My friend that works in Afribank in Abuja told me he got his two room apartment for @ 140k per annum, whereas a self contain in Vi here cost between 180-400k per annum.

Anyway, I'm not deterred by this expensive talk, I want to move to Abuja.

How much does a 3 bedroom flat go in different areas pls?

I've made up my mind to move to Abj this year. I need to do some budgeting and planning.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by tkb417(m): 7:53pm On Feb 10, 2009
yes o
the best place ive lived in 9ja is Abuja
Driving in 9ja is smoooth, chicks in Abuja are smoooth but expensive
nite life in Abuja is smooooth not chaotic like Lagos.

but beware of the junctions in Abuja o or else, ur car will 'go up in flames' b4 ur very eyes
I love Abuja. As soon as im done with my money hunting in lagos, im back finally in Abuja( hopefully ill be married then)

but, one thing is for sure, Lagos is the 'koko'
No place like Las Gidi

In the last few months I have also been seriously considering moving to Abuja. I'm beginning to like the place. My current company cannot post me to Abuja, because my dept is basically a head office work. I'm considering moving to a bank(GTB or PHB) and ask that I be posted to Abuja.

I learnt Abuja is expensive, but I doubt if it can be more expensive than VI. I live in VI now, and our semi-detached duplex was bought for 50m(na family house o).

I was in Abuja in December and I got a decent hotel @ 5k, beyond my imagination. My friend that works in Afribank in Abuja told me he got his two room apartment for @ 140k per annum, whereas a self contain in Vi here cost between 180-400k per annum.

Anyway, I'm not deterred by this expensive talk, I want to move to Abuja.

How much does a 3 bedroom flat go in different areas pls?

I've made up my mind to move to Abj this year. I need to do some budgeting and plann
u want to leave Oil and gas for bank cos of Abuja?
are u alright?

what kinda hotel do you pay 5k for in Abuja? Rockview, Chelsea and Valencia are places ive slept in plenty times and the cahrges are between 25-35k? are u sure u went to the main Abuja abi na villa (suleja) u go? grin

Houses in Abuja are just like Lagos
the average for 3 bedroom will be from 600-850k i think and a nice 3 bedroom in places like Bode Thomas, Ogudu, Opebi, et al go for the same amount. maybe food is expensive in abuja cos while i was in abuja, i never cooked for once.

Abuja is classy, cool and beautiful but Lagos na the real deal

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by cvibe: 8:14pm On Feb 10, 2009
@ poster,

Buy a return ticket and come see things for yourself.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Udobass: 8:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
Are you sure you are not one of the victims of the current economic meltdown, Anyway, it is better to come back home, you are welcome my brother.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Becomrrich: 10:35pm On Feb 10, 2009
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Ikhuoria: 10:10am On Feb 11, 2009
i moved to abuja in september of last year.in my opinion,its a dream place to live.it has most of the best nigeria has to offer.security is as relatively good,there are good hospitals,roads are good.Transportation is a problem if you dont have your own car because it could be costly getting around.its important to know the down side though.most drivers in abuja are reckless.It is impossible to drive in abuja for 35 mins and not see a near accident or an accident.Its much worse at night!
Most people in abuja have empathy so help is usually readily available for accident victims.
A three bedroom house in abuja in those places you have pointed can cost anywhere between 12 to 100million or even more depending on taste.
Gwarimpa has some houses for around 10-15million but these are not completed houses.They are at lintel stages of just roofed.
Light is a major problem in gwarimpa so planning for a generator is a very good idea.
for me,the best business in abuja is real estate.
Abuja is a good place to live but you must have funds or source of funds to see it that way!
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by g7: 10:48am On Feb 11, 2009

It is obvious you did not stay in town but on the outskirts or satelite towns. You will not find even a self contained room that cheap in town.

The meaning of decent comes in various shapes and sizes it all deoends on what you see.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by chihums(m): 10:53am On Feb 11, 2009
I live in Abuja. A self con room is put at #270,000 and you will have to pay for 2 years. the location is at Wuse. grin angry sad sad sad
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Ikhuoria: 11:04am On Feb 11, 2009
Loads of people are just writing uninformed stuffz about abuja.

I have used my feet to transverse abuja and i can authoritatively say the farther you move from the city,the more congested the roads become.

Life camp is where i live. A woman sold her house last week at efab estate(in life camp) for forty million.the only problem we have there is light.absolutely no light.we run on  inverters and generators.traffic is better here than lugbe and gwarimpa.security is so good,i can stand outside my house at anytime.There are shops within the estate and there are estate cabs for shuttle.

Asokoro most definitely has three times as much traffic as lifecamp does and yet houses cost three times as much at asokoro because of proximity to the villa and status.
A self contained in lifecamp is about 300k p.a.A three bedroom is about 850-1million p.a.

In maitama,asokoro and parts of wuse,self contained cost about 350-600k p.a. while 3bedroom cost from 850k-1.8million depending on location and building type.Using an agent means you pay 10% of the agreed rent to him which makes 350p.a 385p.a. and to maximise their profits they demand two years down payment.

As for hotels,abuja has good 5k hotels in wuse.opposite rockview near efcc,there is eddybinna hotel which is affordable.its taste and search for class that makes people pay 25-55k per night at other hotels.there is also city capitol hotel in wuse 2 which is also reasonably affordable.the night life is beautiful.cabs are always available.u could even collect  their mobile numbers for better assurance.
there are always ladies available but the higher your taste,the costlier they become.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 11, 2009
tkb417:

u want to leave Oil and gas for bank cos of Abuja?
are u alright?
TKB, ori mi kuku pe. If a nice bank like GT or PHB gives me a level 3(or even 2 if the pay is up to 6m p.a) I'll take it. I'm currently considering one job now in a govt corporation(not CBN) as 'Assistant Manager' and it's solely because of Abuja.

As for hotels,abuja has good 5k hotels in wuse.opposite rockview near efcc,there is eddybinna hotel which is affordable.its taste and search for class that makes people pay 25-55k per night at other hotels.
Yes, I got a decent hotel @ 5k in Wuse. It was on a private visit last December though. Just a weekend to catch some fun in Abuja and it cost me close to 100K. If official I would have gone for a top-class hotel like the ones TKB mentioned, afterall it's going to be on company's bill.

chihums:

I live in Abuja. A self con room is put at #270,000 and you will have to pay for 2 years. the location is at Wuse. grin angry sad sad sad
This is the range in VI too. A friend that just got a self-contain in Oniru estate paid about that. But I can't live in self contain. I need a 3-bedroom flat.

Anyway, I'm still seriously planning to move to Abuja later this year. I know my current company can't post me there, but I'm working out some other options that will favour me. I've also started doing the financial planning. I think 2m should be OK for securing a decent 2 bedroom for two years.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by tkb417(m): 1:56pm On Feb 11, 2009
As for hotels,abuja has good 5k hotels in wuse.opposite rockview near efcc,there is eddybinna hotel which is affordable.its taste and search for class that makes people pay 25-55k per night at other hotels.there is also city capitol hotel in wuse 2 which is also reasonably affordable.the night life is beautiful.cabs are always available.u could even collect their mobile numbers for better assurance.
there are always ladies available but the higher your taste,the costlier they become.
i see. never heared of those hotels b4.

Jarus
cool. i also share ur sentiments, if my will ask me to choose between lagos n Abuja, ill gladly run to ABJ
na so u like Abuja reach? same here with me o

was in rockview/Valencia for many months when i was in a consultng firm and i never wanted to go back to Lagos. My last project day was really an emotional, as the plane was going round the rock, i felt like jumping down and telling my Manager to fck off. But, wetin i go chop no make me get liver.
I'll grab any opportunity that comes my way sha
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by SegzyJoe(m): 2:09pm On Feb 11, 2009
Hi all,

I read with kin interest those that desire to relocate to Abuja, sincerely Abuja is a nice place though a bit expensive. But I don't think it is out of reach for whoever want to live there. I live in Abuja and I know that you can cut your coat according to your size. The issue is in some places like Maitama, Asokoro and WuseII 3bedroom flat goes for as much as #1m to #2m, but but within the same neighbourhooh you can still get as low as #400 to #500k.

My sister stays at Minister's Hill in Maitama and she paid her rent last month #400k for a two bedroom flat, also a colleague in the office paid #400k for a 2bedroom flat in Maitama (blocks of luxury flats) , though it could take time b4 you get that kind of houses but I can tell you I ve benn to the two houses, they re quite a nice place.

But there re so many beautiful areas in Abuja that could go for less, it all depends on the landlord/agents, but if you re interested, I can recommend a Quantity Surveyor, she has her own property company with offices in Garki and Maitama. She helped me with my accommodation, a good chriatian, very upright and transparent from my dealings with her, she has helped secure accommodation for my friends too, no filling of forms or any kind of extortion.

Again, my candid advice for anyone that want to move is to make sure you do a good feasibilty of whatever business you want to do before moving. Food as mentioned by a poster is not as costly as mentioned, Abuja has so many satelite towns where you can get food as cheap as any other place in Nigeria.

You can reach me on this line: +2348056575020 or segzycompass@yahoo.com
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by JJYOU: 2:36pm On Feb 11, 2009
wbb
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by babycool(f): 3:30pm On Feb 11, 2009
I have been around the country and i can boldly say that Abuja is the best place to be as far you are getting a good source of finance. It is beautiful, quite safe and less stressful unlike Lagos. When i return to Nigeria, i will definitely head back to Abuja.
grin
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by tkb417(m): 3:44pm On Feb 11, 2009
I have been around the country and i can boldly say that Abuja is the best place to be as far you are getting a good source of finance. It is beautiful, quite safe and less stressful unlike Lagos. When i return to Nigeria, i will definitely head back to Abuja.
where have u been?
so u ran to cambridge? doin what? studying?
warwick abi where u dey?

nyways, shey ure fine
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Feb 11, 2009
My sister stays at Minister's Hill in Maitama and she paid her rent last month #400k for a two bedroom flat, also a colleague in the office paid #400k for a 2bedroom flat in Maitama (blocks of luxury flats) , though it could take time b4 you get that kind of houses but I can tell you I ve benn to the two houses, they re quite a nice place.
Wow. . .this is good news for me. 2 bedroom for 400-500k is a good price. Once I strike out a job/posting to Abuja, then accommodation will be my the next thing to settle.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by twinskenny(m): 8:01am On Feb 12, 2009
boring boring boring, i have stayed over 13 years in Lagos, just relocated to Lagos last year, I love life in Lagos becouse of the numerous business opportunities, Abuja is a Boring place,

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 12, 2009
twinskenny:

boring boring boring, i have stayed over 13 years in Lagos, just relocated to Lagos last year, I love life in Lagos becouse of the numerous business opportunities, Abuja is a Boring place,
Yes I have heard Abuja could be boring. There is surely no place like Lagos. But i personally just want to change environment. I'll be hitting Lagos almost every fortnight, if not every weekend, though.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by FBS: 9:01am On Feb 12, 2009
Abuja is cool but please plan very well before coming. Failure to plan can be disastrous.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by FBS: 9:03am On Feb 12, 2009
Jarus:

Yes I have heard Abuja could be boring. There is surely no place like Lagos. But i personally just want to change environment. I'll be hitting Lagos almost every fortnight, if not every weekend, though.
me know understand? what is boring about Abuja? Maybe boring to you?
From the way I look at it, Abuja is about the coolest place in Nigeria.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 12, 2009
FBS:

but please plan very well before coming. Failure to plan can be disastrous.

Thanks. Yes, I'm very much aware of this. I've already started planning. From getting job/posting to Abuja to the Financial implication of accommodation etc. I have resolved to move to Abj latest June by God's grace.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by londoner: 11:47am On Feb 12, 2009
Abuja is not boring at all, its just that people who have been used to a high level of stress and an atmosphere of hustle and bustle in Lagos, feel out of place in Abuja.

Wahala is not the same as excitement people.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by babycool(f): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2009
tkb417:

where have u been?
so u ran to cambridge? doin what? studying?
warwick abi where u dey?

nyways, shey ure fine

Hi dear, yeah am studying here and am fine thank you kiss
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by meetyommy: 10:23am On Feb 13, 2009
hmm, Abuja is a great place to live in, but its quite expensive, however food is cheap!if you know your way around then you shouldnt be scared of coming to live in abuja,
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by JLEMO: 3:43pm On Feb 13, 2009
I'm also relocating to Abuja very soon. I received an offer from a bank in the area and they are offering me 4M Naira with accommodation and company car among other benefits. Does anyone have any idea
if that kind of salary would suffice to live in Abuja, not just survive but be able to have a decent life and save money too!! Thanks
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by twinskenny(m): 4:54pm On Feb 13, 2009
@jlemo, thats a decent pay for me, since accommodation and transportation is not involve, you can live fairly well buddy! grab the offer
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by JLEMO: 7:58pm On Feb 13, 2009
Twinskenny, what is living fairly well? Can you explain. I hear that food is expensive and I like to eat o !! Someone was telling me to be prepared to spend about N9000 daily for 3 good meals. I don't really cook and probably would be eating out most of the time . I also hear that while there are many nice women in Abuja, finding one of them to cook for you is a challenge, lol. I hear alot about the cinemas and the rest but are there also nice gyms,basketball courts,etc?? all input is welcome,
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Phoenixxx: 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2009
by "I am tired of Obodo Oyinbo. Believe it or not, there is no place like home. I am having a thought of going back home.", I take it that U r tired of sweeping, loafing and generally being a nuisance in the land of the White man
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by JLEMO: 7:29pm On Feb 17, 2009
Well actually, I live a very comfortable life here, my only complaint is the taxation angry angry!!!. However I feel as though my contributions are going to "the man" when my people can be using them. Nigeria and Africa as a whole is in need of the skills that many of the blacks overseas use to advance the countries they live in. While I am grateful for the opportunity to live,study, and work in America, I owe it to my country to use all that I have learned to enrich the land and people. Afterall, what we are seeing in Nigeria and Africa is in part due to the effects of neocolonialism and the West's quest for imperialism. Don't let anyone fool you. Well thats besides the topic of this forum, going back to topic. I am planning a first visit for next week to Abuja. I plan to stay a few days. Anyone have any suggestions as far as lodging,etc?I was quoted a 15k Naira price per night to stay at teh Sheraton which is just a little over $100( which is a steal!!) and 35k to stay at the Hilton. Lagos is another story, I got quotes of about 90k per night to stay at the Sheraton on Airport Rd.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by hackney(m): 1:59pm On Feb 21, 2009
I think that Abuja is probably the best place to live in Nigeria; the security for even the  common person is high.
I land there as well as stay there when i visit nigeria.
True,its expensive but considering the pluses like safety (which has no price by the way; if you think about it),clean ennvirons,polite citizens,amenities and the nice relaxed vibe, you will basically be getting fantastic value for money.
I will highly recommend it if you want to relocate.
Calabar is cool (leafy and with 'quite' nice people) but i wont go as far as comparing it with ABJ.
Nice interesting thread by the way;thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In South Korea / Floods In Jeremi, Where Utorogu Gas Plant Is Located / Air Peace Offers To Freely Evacuate Nigerians From Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.