Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (86690 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 12:10am On Jun 24, 2010
"Players who could have done the job like Martins and myself - who have steered this country in many crucial matches - were no longer key players.

Na the thing wey pain am be that. That the coach didn't stick to him. I used to respect him but for the rubbish above, he has lost my respect. Because the man no fear to drop the 'big boys' like his predecessor, the thing dey pain am.

"I think that is a big mistake with Nigerian football when we have one defensive midfielder and one creative in front of him.

This obviously shows he didn't know what he was saying. One defensive midfielder? When the entire Nigeria media space online and offline was awash with people condemning the coach for playing TWO defensive midfielders in Kaita and Etuhu?

Besides, how is a 'big mistake with Nigerian football'? When it worked perfectly with Oliseh playing behind Okocha it wasn't a mistake?
Make the guy go siddon.

Meanwhile, world cup is over for the SE, how we go take drive Lulu and his men commot? I don tire for all these rubbish!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:11am On Jun 24, 2010
And after this WC, I can gaurantee you with ALL CONFIDENCE that Odems would remain SE star.

Our lame coach did not play our best player.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 12:19am On Jun 24, 2010
Since Odems is so good at reading matches, he should be the next SE coach.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 12:23am On Jun 24, 2010
Same Osaze

Super Eagles striker,Osaze Odemwingie believes Lars Lagerback failed to inspire the team because of his little knowledge of the players he brought to the World Cup.

An embittered Osaze told Complete Sports after the match that this lack of proper understanding of the players character and strenghts accounted for the many poor decisions the coach made in team selection.

‘As a coach I respect his training methods.It is far better than what we used to have in the past but his (Lagerback’s) greatest undoing is his lack of understanding and knowledge of the players he brought here to the world cup.For example see the way he used Sani Kaita in our first game against Argentina’,said Osaze.

The Russia-based player said he and Obafemi Martins have been the hardest hit by Lagerback’s error of judgement and I had to confront him after he substituted me against Greece.If he had understood my temperament,he would hacve known how best to use me’,he said.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:36am On Jun 24, 2010
proudly9ja:

Same Osaze

Training methods is different from coaching tactics and team selection.

Odems was the soul of our WC qualification and ANC. I don't know how he dropped from then to now, we now claim to see him as not SE material.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 1:37am On Jun 24, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Osaze is the lousiest Nigerian player ever . . .no wonder he has never been rated a top 10 player in WEST AFRICA not to talk of Africa . . .he betrayed with his comments Siasia after Beijing, Amodu after ANC, now its Lagerback . . .rubbish !

He was part of the ANC 2010's Best 11, the only Nigerian. Elected Nigeria's best player for 2009.

All of a sudden we want to tarnish him for the sake of the reputation of our oyinbo.

He is now the lousiest Nigerian player ever? Some of you really need to listen to yourselves.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 2:12am On Jun 24, 2010
dayokanu:

No wonder he cant get a decent club to play for

Osaze actually plays for one of the top clubs in one of the top leagues in Europe.

After the top batch of Spanish, English and Italian League, the next top batch of leagues are:

French, German and Russian.

He was bought for $14m (circa £9m).

When you compare this price to the price paid for Russia's current most expensive player, Zhirkov of Chelsea, at £18m (most expensive Russian of all times), the price Arsenal paid for Russian national star, Andrei Arshavin, £15m (£3m of this is add-on), the price of the third most expensive Russian, Pavlyuchenko of Spurs, at £14m and looking at the most expensive players in the Russian League transfer market of 2010:

http://www.betinf.com/russia_transfer.htm

I can safely assume Odems is one of the most expensive players in the Russian League.

So please don't say he is not in a decent club or a star to cover up for Lagerback.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 2:41am On Jun 24, 2010
Osaze na Arrow jare . . .go back and read what I said about him then, all burst of energy little result !

When ediots like Osaze are excused to yap tosh like this, I WONDER WHY KAITA, OBASI, MARTINS AND YAK CANT BLAME LAGERBECK 4 THEIR MISDEMEANOR !

Osaze only has guts to criticize after tourneys . . .ode oshi ! Why hasnt he been criticizing his coaches at club level ?

How decorated is this irritant OSAZE ?

Sour grapes !
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 2:47am On Jun 24, 2010
Sagamu

how many Nigerian players criticized/lampooned Amodu ?

If Obafemi should TALK THRASH ABT LAGERBACK, ORILE IGANMU BOYS GO TREAT HIN F.CK UP !!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by jalether(m): 3:18am On Jun 24, 2010
No player has the right to publicly criticise the manager. Period. it's unprofessional
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 12:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
Nice!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2010
Also from Osaze. The guy really needs to learn how to talk

Odewmingie went on to say that Nigeria did not have a team good enough to challenge the best.

"To be honest, we don't have the team that can win the World Cup. If you go down to the roots, most of us, including myself, in our clubs we are not doing great.

"We are not like the big team we used to be, having players in the big clubs and coming here with the ambition to win the Cup. But definitely we could have done much better."

Odemwingie also criticised coach Lars Lagerback's selection and tactics, but says if the coach can learn from his mistakes, he would do better with the Super Eagles.

"I think the World Cup experience and being with us has given him some advantage over the next candidate.

"People learn from mistakes. If he takes the positives from this one and he feels good with working with Nigerian boys then yes, I think he should stay.
"
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2010
proudly9ja:

Also from Osaze. The guy really needs to learn how to talk

Learn how to talk how?

Talk lie?

The guy is speaking the truth. He is saying everything I have been telling you all.

I told you all that our players where merely above average and none is in Africa's top 10, unlike the 90s we had about 5 in Top 10. The same 90s you unfairly used to judge Amodu, you want him to perform with mediocre players what top players did.

Odems is telling you PLAINLY what I said.

I am surprised no one is jumping on this thread throwing accusations that I must be Odems in real life. *Puts little finger on lips like Dr Evil"  cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 3:23pm On Jun 24, 2010
The reality of the matter is una oyinbo coach messed up big time not playing our best player.

He played a striker that was rubbish instead.

- Osaze was our best and most creative player during qualifiers and one of the major forces that got us to the WC.

- He was voted best Nigerian player in 2009.

- He was outstanding at ANC in Jan and made the Best XI, the only Nigerian in the team.

- I can't recall any SE match that Obasi has EVER played better than him.

- He has a better record than Obasi at national and club levels. At club level, he scores more than Obasi despite Obasi being utilised as a striker and him an offensive midfielder, and Obasi goals came mostly in 2nd Division.

- He plays for a better club than Obasi.

- He has more experience than Obasi.

- Works harder than Obasi on the pitch, has more urgency and is a better inspiration on team mates than Obasi on the pitch.

- He is a more valuable player as he cost more than Obasi in the transfer market. Virtually double in transfer costs and delivered superior performance after the transfers.

Simply put: Odems is better, far better than Obasi!

When Lagerback played Obasi over Osaze vs Arg, a lot of British papers carried the news and expressed shock in their reports of the "surprise omission" of the "exciting Odemwingie", who came off the bench and "looked lively". He came into the match and changed it.

Yet our coach preferred to play an awful Obasi over this better and more vital player everytime, and it has cost us especially when he played Obasi for a defensive job.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 5:35pm On Jun 24, 2010
^^
who isn't better than obasi.   
you make it sound like its a tough task to achieve.   osaze didn't mesmerize anyone in the greek game either.
he has loads of energy but was selfish in the world cup. osaze wants to be man and he just isn't that kind of player.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
Sagamu, Being best player sometime back is nothing. It depends on what you do presently.

Ronaldinho was the best player in the 2006 CL, In the Brazilian team at the world cuip 3 weeks later he was horrible.

Osaze was horrible in the time he played on the field
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:12pm On Jun 24, 2010
bawomolo:

^^
who isn't better than obasi.   
you make it sound like its a tough task to achieve.   osaze didn't mesmerize anyone in the greek game either.
he has loads of energy but was selfish in the world cup. osaze wants to be man and he just isn't that kind of player.

Because he did not mesmerize in 33 minutes, that means he is not capable of mesmerising?

And did Obasi come and mesmerise?

I have watched the match again. We were playing a comfortable and disciplined game before the red card. We kept possesion and when we scored our lucky goal, there was no need to rush against a heavily defensive team. Just keep that ball and loosen them up and that was what the whole team was doing, we were in the lead and looked comfortable against a team that only wanted to defend. What will Odems be mesmerising for?

He did not a pass once and all of a sudden he is a selfish player? And how many times did Obasi not pass vs Arg and SK? He kept on the senseless, directionless shots. One British paper said he lacked attacking composure.

dayokanu:

Sagamu, Being best player sometime back is nothing. It depends on what you do presently.

Ronaldinho was the best player in the 2006 CL, In the Brazilian team at the world cuip 3 weeks later he was horrible.

Osaze was horrible in the time he played on the field

Osaze was horrible? grin grin grin grin grin grin

And I bet you would tell me Obasi was world class? grin grin grin grin

Please define your horrible.

Unbelieveable points. undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 6:29pm On Jun 24, 2010
[size=32pt]KAITASTROPHIC[/size]

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Jun 24, 2010
Osaze was horrible?

And I bet you would tell me Obasi was world class?

Please define your horrible.

Unbelieveable points.

Horrible is what Osaze did while on the field.

vs Argentina he came on the field had a break away chance all he had to do was square to Martins but his horrible touch kicked the ball out of play.

2 different times he failed to connect his teammates who were better positioned.

Vs Greece, Made no meaningful touch on the ball during the time he was on the field
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by tkb417(m): 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2010
chei

i never laff like this in 16 yrs
sauron abeg where u get those things

grin grin grin grin grin grin

i dont know, but when Osaze said he don be

omo, i wan laff die for here grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
jeez
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by tkb417(m): 7:09pm On Jun 24, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Osaze: because of this small thing
Greek: na this one u call small thing grin grin grin
Greek: ol boi mind urself o

oluwa o
una don mad finish
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by jalether(m): 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2010
Sagamite, I get the feeling you are just taking the piss. everyone, even my non naija peeps, knows Osaze

was one of our worst performers at the world cup.

objectively, no one including yourself can dispute that fact. on what basis did osaze impress at the torny. . . . .  assist,goal (s), overall productivity.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 8:51pm On Jun 24, 2010
I don't know why sagamite keeps running away from my points.

The early 90s team we are screaming about was built by Westerhof after spending time building and rebuilding the team. He brought some players from obscurity into the National team set up and some he brought from the junior team. At the end, he built us a world class team in 1994. Any coach could have taken that same team in 1994 to the World Cup but the fact remains it was built by Westerhof.
The backbone of that team of 94 (Oliseh, Okocha, Uchechukwu, Amokachi) took us to the Olympics and gave us gold in 96 (2 whole years after!) and while Bonfrere can be credited with winning the Olympics (I won't take credit away fro him), we will still thank Westerhof for the backbone of the team.

Now fast forward to a man who has had the best opportunity of doing what Westerhof did with the team, Amodu, and tell me what his contribution was?

I blame him for the past two years where our football has gone backwards.
Or let me pose a question to you:

Are you proud of the team Amodu built in over two years (2006 - 2009)?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by montelik(m): 11:12pm On Jun 24, 2010
proudly9ja:

Amodu, and tell me what his contribution was?

I have a few questions of my own. Do you really think that our football only started going backward 2 years ago. After all the Amodu who took our football backwards according to you, got us to 2010 world cup after we failed to qualify in 2006 and improved on our QF ouster in the 08 nations cup. Would you not agree that our football had been going backward long before the last 2 years. Also in which alternate reality was Amodu responsible for the super eagles between 2006-2009? It is no wonder who seemingly dislike him with such fevour. You attributing performances, tournaments and years to him that have nothing to do with him. Amodu was not anywhere near the super eagles between 2006-2008. You are clearly heaping the disappointment of Vogts, Eguavoen and other coaches performances onto Amodu (the convenient scape goat).
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 11:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
@montelik
First and foremost, if you read about two or three posts of mine before the last one, you will see where I stated that The Nigerian FA should take part of the blame. But the Nigerian FA is a common factor with all coaches we have hired so let's relegate them to the background for a min.

Thanks for the correction. 2006 above should be 2008. If you had read my earlier posts where I alluded to Amodu's previous 2 years with the national team, you would have realised that it's a honest mistake.

So back to issues. the question Il ask you is, despite the fact that we made the world cup in 2010, in your honest opinion, did we have a better team in 2010 than we had in 2008.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 12:04am On Jun 25, 2010
Seriously though, we need to leave this issue of Amodu and Naija's WC performance and move on. Its a waste of time
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 12:16am On Jun 25, 2010
Eagles have already arrived home so lets just move on
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:39am On Jun 25, 2010
jalether:

Sagamite, I get the feeling you are just taking the piss. everyone, even my non naija peeps, knows Osaze

was one of our worst performers at the world cup.

objectively, no one including yourself can dispute that fact. on what basis did osaze impress at the torny. . . . .  assist,goal (s), overall productivity.

Please explain to me how he was one of our worst. I wait very very very patiently.

Please do. I have the videos on my laptop, so no long thing.

First Game: Osaze came in to change our game. The 25mins we decided to compete was due to him and Uche. His very, very first touch was a brilliant pass for a counter-attack. Before that, we were Argentina's okobo (man-wife). All because on ONE occasion he did not pass, that is his condemnation, whilst we say Lagerback was great. 30mins played.

Second game: He played a disciplined game of passing along with the team, everytime he got the ball, TWO people doubled up on him and still he never lost the ball once. We scored a lucky goal and he maintained the team discipline until the send off where he was helping with attack and defence. What was he suppose to do? Take of 2/3 men, lose the ball and let us get attacked when we are already leading and in control of the game? 45mins played.

Third game: Our lame coach did not play him. 0 mins played.

Please, please, please explain how he had a bad tournament when he is not allowed to even play 50 mins. Please I wait.

dayokanu:

Horrible is what Osaze did while on the field.

vs Argentina he came on the field had a break away chance all he had to do was square to Martins but his horrible touch kicked the ball out of play.

2 different times he failed to connect his teammates who were better positioned.

Vs Greece, Made no meaningful touch on the ball during the time he was on the field

Please tell me the 2 times he failed to connect. I am not aware. Then tell me the amount of times Obasi, blasted ball like a foool against Arg and SK, and how he missed to connect twice in the first half vs SK that would have buried the match. Then tell me how he missed the empty net vs the Greeks. Tell me how he went to floor too easy vs the Greeks that led to the goal that lost us the game. Then come and tell me what else he contributed to the team and who had a worse tournament between him and Odems.

I hope you downloaded the torrents?

This must really be a serious joke. Some of you guys must be training under Chris Rock.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:50am On Jun 25, 2010
proudly9ja:

I don't know why sagamite keeps running away from my points.

The early 90s team we are screaming about was built by Westerhof after spending time building and rebuilding the team. He brought some players from obscurity into the National team set up and some he brought from the junior team. At the end, he built us a world class team in 1994. Any coach could have taken that same team in 1994 to the World Cup but the fact remains it was built by Westerhof.
The backbone of that team of 94 (Oliseh, Okocha, Uchechukwu, Amokachi) took us to the Olympics and gave us gold in 96 (2 whole years after!) and while Bonfrere can be credited with winning the Olympics (I won't take credit away fro him), we will still thank Westerhof for the backbone of the team.

Run from your points?

What is there to run from?

Westerhof had 5 years and a free hand to build a team. A time most of our best players played at home. The European League was not open to foreigners like that.

This is not the era to take HB players to top level of football. YOU WOULD BE FLOGGED MERCILESSLY. That is why your point does not make sense to me because you have not taken note of changing factors.

Nowadays, the European league is open and the best players are shipped as quickly as possible to Europe. They have scouts all over the place now. In the 90s, the likes of Mikel would still be in Naija, not this era anymore. The ones in the local leagues are mainly the third rates, not even seconds.

Take HBs as your main components like if you are still in the 90s and you would be FLOGGED MERCILESSLY.

proudly9ja:

Now fast forward to a man who has had the best opportunity of doing what Westerhof did with the team, Amodu, and tell me what his contribution was?

How was Amodu in charge in 2006?

Is 2 years enough time to build team or change the rot in mentality of players? During WCQs after you did not qualify for the last one? How many days of camping did they have before each match? You must be having a laff. If Amodu had selected the likes of Haruna and Haruna gave the lame WC performance we saw and we did not qualify for WC again, only God knows what would have happened. You think people would listen to building a team?

His mandate was:

1) Qualify unfailingly for WC.
2) Qualify unfailingly for ANC.
3) Qualify for ANC SF.

And he delivered on ALL with lame, mediocre players that were OUR BEST.

We only managed to dominate/compete in the midfield ONCE. And that was vs SK when we used Ayila and Etuhu.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 1:07am On Jun 25, 2010
And please, no one should come here and waste my time. The torrents are there. DOWNLOAD IT.

Watch the Argentina and Greece games and come and tell me what was the achievements of Obasi.

Don't waste my time. Download and watch.

moonraker, please if I can get the torrent for the SK game, that would be cool. My friend in Germany text me after the first half just to say Obasi is shyt. And I told him I could not agree more, I even came to this thread to SCREAM!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-452348.2496.html#msg6264118
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chika98: 1:27am On Jun 25, 2010
That is the problem I have with the sports forum; endless back and forth! Nigeria is CRAP! They can't play
even if they qualified for the knockout stage. . they still woulda gotten kicked out! I don't understand what the back and forth is all about. Jeez!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by A40(m): 1:30am On Jun 25, 2010
PTI but while Osaze may have been wrong with his medicine after death outbursts he is right in the sense that Lagerback is arguably the worst coach we have had in recent times the muchacho's tactics was just Urgggghhhh!! Starting people who should have come from the bench and benching people who should start y'all can say what you want but you would struggle to name 3 players more productive than Osaze in that team. Osazee had a poor WC so who had a fantastic tournament? Obasi,Yakubu or Nsofor? Abeg make dem trowey the guy jare na olodo grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (87) (Reply)

Ifeanyi George Dies In Motor Accident (Photos) / Ethiopia Vs Nigeria - AFCON 2013 (0 - 2) On 29th January 2013 / Maradona Kissing A Blonde Lady In Stadium While France Thrashed Argentina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.